On the ending complaints- (SPOILERS DUH)

Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I like the ending, personally. I think it fits, and even more sofor a pilot as this is somewhat how pilot's end
  • edited July 2010
    I'd be much happier that if they started fresh for the possible full season. Although the games story left a lot to your imagination, this is a common occurence in Grickle comics and videos and everything seems finished. Almost like a classic Goosbumps story, if anyone remembers the style...
  • edited July 2010
    I thought the ending fit well with the rest of the game (and with the other Grickle videos, and also with the Twin Peaks vibe - or any of those 'investigating unexplained phenomenae' shows).

I wouldn't mind an explanation in future games, but for a pilot it worked well. Although at the time I definitely felt like I was missing something.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm more boggled about minor things such as the cherry tobacco in the diner (Does Nelson have his own Smoking Man?), the screwdriver in the alley and "Astronomers note new moon" article in the newspaper (Any connection to the Astronaut and the weird spaceship dream?).

The ending is a little strange, but it works for this type of stories.
  • edited July 2010
    The tobacoo I didn't put much thought in but the screwdriver I did. Ofcourse random objects thrown about are good for distractions
  • edited July 2010
    The screwdriver is further proof for the repairs men alibi
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, wow, I didn't even think about that.
  • edited July 2010
    Andorxor wrote: »
    The screwdriver is further proof for the repairs men alibi
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    Oh, wow, I didn't even think about that.

Wow, I didn't think of that either, not even on my second playthrough. It was one of the things that truly puzzled me.
  • edited July 2010
    The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

My disappointment with it was more due to the worry that it will fail (being a pilot episode and all) and that there WON'T be a conclusion. I was intrigued and in that sense it succeeds, but still,l I was left wanting. Perhaps more because I was into the tale rather than the puzzles (much like Sam & Max) for much of it.
  • edited July 2010
    I like the ending. Very appropriate. Personally I won't even mind if the mystery remains and we never see the Hidden People again. It is slightly annoying to not figure out who left the tobacco or why there was that graffiti on the chairs.
  • edited July 2010
    Perhaps the hints or enough was given to give the solution to both. If I had the game I would think closely about it. It might be a case where all the needed clues are given but they just leave it up to the really intelligent player to figure it out. Or maybe I'm wrong and they didn't do anything of the sort. Good mysteries do though.
  • edited July 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    I'm more boggled about minor things such as the cherry tobacco in the diner (Does Nelson have his own Smoking Man?), the screwdriver in the alley and "Astronomers note new moon" article in the newspaper (Any connection to the Astronaut and the weird spaceship dream?).

The ending is a little strange, but it works for this type of stories.
    The screw driver is for the repairmans alibi
    Im not sure what the tobbaco is
    I think that Aliens are monitoring or controling the events, so they send clues to Tethers to help guide him to do what ever it is they what (Get the door open so the gnomes can reach Isaac?)
  • edited July 2010
    Im not sure what the tobbaco is
    Bjorn, I guess?

(I know I probably didn't need to put that in spoiler tags but I hadn't used them before and I just wanted to try them out!)
  • edited July 2010
    Bjorn, I guess?

(I know I probably didn't need to put that in spoiler tags but I hadn't used them before and I just wanted to try them out!)
    That explains it. He claims not to know her very well but he had obviously gone to see her earlier that day where he probably told her to come to thier meeting or something else related to thier plan
  • edited July 2010
    Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

Try the game, and then post your views on the ending. It's pretty anticlimatic. It doesn't feel like a finished game at all, it just feels like a demo.
  • edited July 2010
    NotFury wrote: »
    Try the game, and then post your views on the ending. It's pretty anticlimatic. It doesn't feel like a finished game at all, it just feels like a demo.

I disagree. The ending fitted the game perfectly
  • edited July 2010
    A pilot is a demo. Just a longer one.
  • edited July 2010
    A cliffhanger would have worked.

However the ACTUAL ending isn't. So it feels like a let down.

Although I guess it could work for episode #2 if it was "they made him think he was back home, yet he still is over there" ending (which would get my preference).
  • edited July 2010
    From my experience, TV pilots (especially recently, though not generally with comedies) tend to have a self contained story but also have a few lose threads which can be used to weave a continuing story if it is picked up for a full series/season. In my mind, this is exactly what Telltale have done with Puzzle Agent.
  • edited July 2010
    I liked and disliked the ending. I don't mind that it didn't answer anything, but the problem that I had with it was that it was so abrupt. It was all like "puzzle, puzzle, puzzle...crash through window END!" And he was back in D.C. I wish we had been shown more of Tethers's interactions with the townsfolk before he returned to his office.
  • edited July 2010
    I thought that the end was more like one of those old monster movies: The End? It sorta fit because throughout the entire game, Nelson doesn't really know what is going on. It would have felt forced to come up with a complete solution in so short a time. I just hope there is a season to continue the story. :D
  • edited July 2010
    I look at this way:

It's a pilot, right? And what happens in a lot of action show pilots once it ends? It offers questions and cliff-hangers for further stories throughout the season(s). So I'm guessing once everyone says "we loved the game" Telltale will make a full Season and answer the question...

"What's with the gnomes?"
  • edited July 2010
    I would have properly liked the ending if Puzzle Agent was confirmed to be a full season. Yes, it makes me want more, but if Telltale don't decide to continue with the series then there are so many questions left unanswered. That's frustrating. Imagine reading a book, getting halfway and then finding out the rest of the pages are blank. In the future, I'd prefer that these pilot episodes wrap the story up at least partly for fear that there'd never be any more of them. I'm all for leaving things unanswered and open to interpretation, but Puzzle Agent ended too abruptly and didn't feel like a firm conclusion for a single episode.
  • edited July 2010
    Personally I just want to know what the gnomes actually needed the foreman for.

Here's my questions:

who locked the foreman in the factory?
    He obviously didn't lock himself in, since it was locked from the outside.

I'm guessing he did set up the obstacles inside the factory to keep the gnomes at bay.

if it was Bjorn's group, then why lock him in so the gnomes can't get to him if "he was spoken to" and therefore needed by them?

Still, my main question is: What did the gnomes actually need the foreman for?
  • edited July 2010
    TonViper wrote: »
    Personally I just want to know what the gnomes actually needed the foreman for.

To...run their...gnome factory?
  • edited July 2010
    I assumed the gnomes emerged because the factory opened a new wing on top of their land, but that doesn't explain why they would abduct the foreman.
  • edited July 2010
    From my experience, TV pilots (especially recently, though not generally with comedies) tend to have a self contained story but also have a few lose threads which can be used to weave a continuing story if it is picked up for a full series/season. In my mind, this is exactly what Telltale have done with Puzzle Agent.

I'd agree with that. The ending should've resolved the main story, but left enough loose ends, so we'd still be here saying, "Ok, but what was with the gnomes?" or "They never did explain the astronaut.", etc. This ending really didn't resolve anything, and that would've been ok for episode one of a season, but it's sort of a letdown for a pilot.

I think it's also problematic in that none of the loose threads are really engaging enough to be eagerly awaiting an announcement for a season. There really wasn't enough substance within the story to be asking anything beyond basic questions. There really isn't much to theorize on at this point.

Not that I want to be too critical. I enjoyed the game for what it was, and it definitely has the potential to be a great series. I think my criticisms are directed more at the "Pilot Program" than Puzzle Agent itself.
  • edited July 2010
    Somehow I don't think it'll ever be explained just what/why/who the gnomes are.
    It takes away a lot of the atmosphere-essential creepiness, you know?

That said, I would love to see more of them!
  • edited July 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    My disappointment with it was more due to the worry that it will fail (being a pilot episode and all) and that there WON'T be a conclusion. I was intrigued and in that sense it succeeds, but still,l I was left wanting. Perhaps more because I was into the tale rather than the puzzles (much like Sam & Max) for much of it.

I really doubt that it will fail. In the interview with Graham, he said they had already worked out the entire story, which explains the items and maps. I'm willing to bet they'll continue it. The only way I imagine they could NOT build it into a series is due to very low review scores and no sales, which is unlikely considering Puzzle Agent's pretty solid fanbase. I love the story, and really got into it. What I'm worried about is how long it'll take...
  • edited July 2010
    I loved the ending. It was very appropriate and very true to the animations. It is unbelievable how true the game is to them.

The Agent was pretty much clueless of the events the whole way, it is fitting that he stays that way to the end. Even his superiors are baffled by the happenings and dont want to touch the matter any more now that the factory is working again.

Everything doesn't need to be explained always. The best stories to me are those that leave room for imagination and speculation, If it suits the story. This one, it definately does.
  • edited July 2010
    Didn't love and didn't hate the ending, it, well, just ended...for now...as all those ongoing series where you might spend a lot of time and until the writers want to give you some kind of clue. I mostly dislike this neverending concepts as chances are high that they sooner or later kill the originality.
  • edited July 2010
    The ending was ok, a bit weird. But one thing I didn't get, why did the sheriff go so crazy about the crossword puzzle in Nelsons pocket? Did they just love puzzles that much?
  • edited July 2010
    Personally, I was annoyed by the ending, as too much is left unexplained. What did the gnomes want with Mr. Davner? Was Mr. Davner their willing victim, or was he trying to keep them away in the factory? Who killed Mike Lobb?

There's just one solution: Telltale has to continue the story.
  • edited July 2010
    Ishtarru wrote: »
    Personally, I was annoyed by the ending, as too much is left unexplained. What did the gnomes want with Mr. Davner? Was Mr. Davner their willing victim, or was he trying to keep them away in the factory? Who killed Mike Lobb?

There's just one solution: Telltale has to continue the story.

It's entirely possible that that is the end of the story. Abrupt, unsolved endings are part of what Grickle is.
  • edited July 2010
    The tobacco, I am assuming, is Bjorn's since he was the only one who smoked a pipe in the story (in front of the hotel). Possibly meaning after meeting the Puzzle Agent for the first time left to inform the missing foreman's wife on how to act and what to say to him when he was to come to the diner. And why did she come running out of the building next to the diner later in the story? That, too, could be a connection to the tobacco.

I personally didn't like the end because it didn't explain basically anything to confirm why I should care about any of the conversations or detective work and instead just focus on the puzzles. By opening the story with a spaceman opening his visor, not seeing the face by the viewer, and having the detective shriek in horror should have been the main question to be answered - who was in the suit and why was it frightening.

Agree with previous posters - the music and the Northern USA accent made the game great.

Some of the puzzles were too easy. One that stands out is the four pictures of persons leaving a building in the snow and you have to figure out the order by the tracks in the snow. This is the exact same puzzle I show to Kindergarteners for their computer class and they are able to solve them easily also. I like the fact that there are minimal instruction, yet I say even more obscurity would make the game better. Take for example the puzzles from the game 'Ravenhearst' - if you have played it - there are puzzles with zero instruction on what to do and it is entirely trial and error to manipulate the setting for an order of events to occur to unlock a door. Sprinkle some of those in with the logic puzzles and the game could be even better.
  • edited July 2010
    I think they try to hide the backstory of Hidden People as much as they can, since that would give us some ideas of how to completely get rid of them once we know much about them.

Well, that's why I played and REALLY enjoyed this game. I mean, Hidden People irritate me SO MUCH, I DESPISE them. They're freaky, annoying, and their whispering always makes me curious. It was like game was giving me information about them bit by bit so that I could finally DESTROY those unholy creatures.
  • edited September 2010
    US just got the third Professor Layton game so there's still hope that enough people will play it.
  • edited September 2010
    for grickle, the ending is very appropriate. its supposed to make you confused. and i am 100% positive that this is not the end of are dear friend nelsons adventures.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm just wondering that if they do make a full season of Puzzle Agent, what would it be like? I imagine Nelson would be in an entirely different setting, the Hidden People would most likely return, I just wonder if they would have enough new ideas for puzzles at that point. I just finished the game a day or two ago and I'm still open to how I should feel about the ending.
  • edited September 2010
    i would think he would take a break from the hidden people for now and have something to do with those aliens in the many grickle shorts or those weird guys from deleware.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.