*spoilers* In Memoriam *Extreme 305 Spoilers*

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Considering that the title of this thread has "spoiler" in it twice, are all the spoiler tags really necessary?
    No, but read at your own risk.
    First off, how did Sam A turning into a giant electrokinetic monster go unnoticed by Sam and Max Prime?
    This season's been in New York the whole time, so the other guys' adventures could've been happening anywhere else.
    Second, how did Sam and Max A escape from and survive the destruction of the Mariachi ship? Didn't T.H.E.M themselves escape on the time machine, back to earlier points in season two? How did Max A end up with it?
    In 204, if you go back into the bridge during the final puzzle, you'll see a scene where past Sam & Max run into the elevator before you get a chance to escape on it. I think it was an optional scene, though.

The mariachis who warn you not to activate the self-destruct are from the past. They jumped forward in time to deliver the warning, then went back to their birthday missions.
    This now means that from this point forward, we have a Max with no memory of anything that happened in the Telltale series other than Culture Shock. Of course, given how Max's memory normally functions, it may be a lateral move.
    There's Max's short-term memory, plus the fact that he functions like a hive mind on the quantum level. Every instance of Max is aware of what's going on with every other instance at all times. That's part of why the spores all acted like Max. And all the weird stuff that only Max could see throughout the season; could they have been images from the other Max's adventures? Maybe.

I don't understand why people are sad, since Momma Bosco warned you in episode 1 exactly what would happen if you kept using those psychic powers.

Also all the other characters in the OP could be revived without much trouble. Feel free to keep using them in your fan fiction and nightmares.
  • edited August 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    There's Max's short-term memory, plus the fact that he functions like a hive mind on the quantum level. Every instance of Max is aware of what's going on with every other instance at all times. That's part of why the spores all acted like Max. And all the weird stuff that only Max could see throughout the season; could they have been images from the other Max's adventures? Maybe.
    So all the Maxes are pretty much the same?

That's nice to know, I've spiraled out of that depression. That's too bad for the alternate Sam, though, but he was kind of a jerk.

Wow, no wonder Max nuked him.
  • edited August 2010
    SushiGummy wrote: »
    Wow, no wonder Max nuked him.

This made me snicker.
  • edited August 2010
    I've still got #2 in Sam's pocket. I picked him up after he served his purpose in the stomache, just in case I needed him again.

It was also mentioned by Girl Stinky that
    Grampa Stinky can't be killed, so his body may somehow be indestructable
    Megatron may be a robot
    but should still be on the list.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    It was also mentioned by Girl Stinky that
    Grampa Stinky can't be killed, so his body may somehow be indestructable

Maybe. Either that or
    he would still be considered alive even though he's in a different body.
    But, on the other hand,
    he did die in the second season.

On a related note,
    that one ape who switched brains with Grampa Stinky did die. Maybe he should be on the list, or is he too much of a minor character?
  • edited August 2010
    You realise that it's just a different Max who has come back... the Max we know and love from Episode 3 of Season 1 is dead.
  • edited August 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    You realise that it's just a different Max who has come back... the Max we know and love from Episode 3 of Season 1 is dead.

Sam will bring the new (old) Max up to speed on the things he missed, and we'll never know the difference.
  • edited August 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Sam will bring the new (old) Max up to speed on the things he missed, and we'll never know the difference.

You'll know the difference in your heart. Max is dead.
  • edited August 2010
    You'll know the difference in your heart. Max is dead.

Well...no, not exactly that's still Max. Who know's maybe in Season 4, there'll be an episode called A tale of Two Max's.
  • edited August 2010
    Matthew13 wrote: »
    In my opinion, I think perhaps it would have been more of a suspenseful cliff-hanger until the next season if it
    appeared Max was still gone, even after the end
    , which of course in the next season the same events
    from the end of 305 would bring him back.
    I don't think that would've been very satisfying.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow, thanks alot for clearing this up Chuck! That was extremely trippy but it makes sense now. The only thing that makes me sad is that Max won't have any memories of the things that transpired in Season 3, and one of the things I was looking forward to in a possible Season 4 was referring to the events with the psychic powers.

Also, we saw several times during this season that Max saved the day and I think he's developped alot as a character if you compare him to how he was in Season 1.
    In the end he committed a selfless act and sacrificed himself to save the city.
    This alternate Max will seem like a completely different character.
  • edited August 2010
    I loved that ending. As soon as I
    heard the 'ding' when Sam was staring out to sea, I know the Elevator was coming...

As for it being
    a different Max...remember the 305 Max had freakin' psychic powers, and there were several mentions (albeit as jokes) of him merging with the collective unconciousness. Mabye the Narrator did save Max's brain, and our Max is still out there, just waiting for a way to merge with his alternate body.
  • edited August 2010
    There's Max's short-term memory, plus the fact that he functions like a hive mind on the quantum level. Every instance of Max is aware of what's going on with every other instance at all times.
    caeska wrote: »
    The only thing that makes me sad is that Max won't have any memories of the things that transpired in Season 3,

Well I do believe that what Chuck meant to say was precisely that all the memories of all the Maxes are common and when Sam will told him what happened, he'd remember (if he does not already remember.) BUT... the strange thing is that it should work with Sam too, shouldn't it? When Max told him HE was the giant beast, he seemed not to understand nor remember. Why?
  • edited August 2010
    Because Sam's brain and mind work differently than Max's. Or simplified: Max's mind is special.
  • edited August 2010
    Of course Sam understood that the alternate Sam and Max had a completely different adventure and Max had to kill him because he mutated somehow, also of course he wouldn't remember their adventures, it happened to his duplicate not him. Max 2 and Sam 2 aren't from an alternate dimension but the same one, simply not taking the same path because of the intervention of sam and max from 204.
  • edited August 2010
    Sal - Killed by radiation poisoning in Max's arm control room. Died in Max's Cerebral Cortex.
    I kinda doubt he died.
    I mean...
    Sam Junior survived the radiation, and she is much smaller AND a newborn!
  • edited August 2010
    I think Sal died from the guilt rather than the radiation poisoning... they could always add more to that story.
  • edited August 2010
    If they do make a season 4 (but then again, why wouldn't they?), I really hope that papierwaite stays a regular character.
  • edited August 2010
    homsar8 wrote: »
    If they do make a season 4 (but then again, why wouldn't they?), I really hope that papierwaite stays a regular character.

I think Papierwaite and Skunkape both had incredible development through the season and it seems as though Papierwaite will be a permenant character after this.
  • edited August 2010
    (but then again, why wouldn't they?)

Everything ends... Even if I'm a huge fan of S&M and that I'd make every single existing voodoo spell to make the Season 4 a reality, I thought that the 305 end was a good way to "finish" the story.
    Moreover, there are two radical different ends, so it seems quite hard to make a new Season with that...
  • edited August 2010

I second this notion.
  • edited August 2010
    I think Sal died from the guilt rather than the radiation poisoning... they could always add more to that story.
    Guilt kills people?
  • edited August 2010
    Madjura wrote: »
    Guilt kills people?

There are toys from the dark dimension that can give lagomorphs psychic powers?
    And also, I think it might have stopped Sal from struggling against the poisoning. He just didn't want to live much anymore...
  • edited August 2010
    I cried. That is, by far, first game that made me cry. Not just have some teardrops fallen, but emotional crying. Dear Telltale, I hate and love you at the same time. Even when I saw new Max, I still was sad. Happy and sad. Even if they make the scene with Real Max's brain falling from space to Sam's hands, we will then have a scene with hard Sam's choice - first or second Max. Thanks for this season, and for some sleepless nights I will soon feel.
  • e00e00
    edited August 2010
    I think there's someone missing from your list of now deceased characters.
    What about the Sam of episode 102 and everything before that? If the Max that just arrived in the elevator had to kill the Sam he was with to save the world, that means our beloved canine from all those years ago is dead.
    :(

That is unless I have it completely wrong (which is likely).
  • edited August 2010
    That's not correct.
    He came in via the time traveling elevator. It's the Max from episode 102, who stole the time machine from "present" Sam & Max in episode 204. He and Sam from 102 have been having their own adventures during the last 6 episodes.

Well, those are two different timelines, kinda with the same root? I mean, it's the same timeline UNTIL you time travel and thus split them, since the doubling of Sam and Max in one relative space/place didn't already happen from the perspective of the episode 102 (meaning we weren't following a closed time loop), therefore the time travel that happened back in episode 204 created a new timeline that Max which picked Sam up came from!
    Unlike that, there is a closed time loop inside the second season, when Sam and Max from 201 save their future selves from the same timeline they're going to experience in the future, with the lava pit and all. (In both 201 and 205 we can see they're aware of that event from both the past and the future (well, at least Sam is :D)).

Still, now that Sam and 'alternate' Max met up, there's going to be an altered difference in age between them, since the 'original' Sam and Max had to relive events all the way from 102 to 205. But who cares! :D
  • edited August 2010
    SamandMaxtimeline.png
  • edited August 2010
    The Max at the end could be the Max from the animated TV show episode where Sam and Max go back in time and change things and then Max travels through time trying to get Sam back to normal.
  • edited August 2010
    Fazz wrote: »
    Moreover, there are two radical different ends, so it seems quite hard to make a new Season with that...

What happened differently in them?
  • edited August 2010
    That was the best/most depressing Sam and Max I've ever played....
    I just finished it and I feel really upset about losing Max! Although it was great plot-wise, I was a little surpirsed with how rushed the end felt; I was expecting at least one more puzzle.
    Balso, most emotional credits in a Sam and Max game ever?
  • edited August 2010
    I actually thought that the ending of The Devil's Playhouse was an interesting parallel to the ending of Tales. In Tales, there was a huge finale, and we were left all alone, with one final puzzle to complete to rejoin with everyone. In 305, there was a huge finale, and we were left without our partner, with one final puzzle to complete to rejoin with our partner.

I thought that was pretty cool on its own, but I also liked how it went in totally opposite directions after that. In Tales, the solution was the item that'd been in our inventory the whole time, and it worked perfectly. In 305, the solution was an item we never saw Sam pick up, and it failed miserably.
  • edited August 2010
    There better be a Season 4 at some point. Well or atleast a new Sam & max game. I think it would be interesting now sam & max now kinda have alot of stuff Telltale can pull on.
  • edited August 2010
    What happened differently in them?
    In the first, they take the space-and-time-travelling-elevator, in the second, they stay in the city. So I assume that in the first, they will be looking for adventures through space and time and in the other one, they would still be freelance poilce!
  • edited August 2010
    In the first, they take the space-and-time-travelling-elevator, in the second, they stay in the city. So I assume that in the first, they will be looking for adventures through space and time and in the other one, they would still be freelance poilce!

Why can't they do both?!
  • edited August 2010
    Well, when came the moment to chose between the two options, they seemed... incompatible.
  • edited August 2010
    The ingame choice, yeah, but it's not like the can't do one and then the other. Or just simply do both and only make a small reference to it in season 4.
  • edited August 2010
    SamandMaxtimeline.png

Exactly! Thanks for translating my words into something actually understandable! :D
  • edited August 2010
    Well, when came the moment to chose between the two options, they seemed... incompatible.

it doesn't really matter. for some Sam and Max will have a time travel adventure between season 3 and season 4 and for other some banker/rat king crimefighting. in the end it doesnt have to have any impact on season 4
  • edited August 2010
    Hey, there's another character that died who we completely forgot about!
    The Desoto!
  • edited August 2010
    SushiGummy wrote: »
    Hey, there's another character that died who we completely forgot about!
    The Desoto!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.