Public Telltale Tool for DIY Adventure games!?

edited April 2013 in General Chat
Joystiq

Modding? They need to ensure that licensed properties are treated the way their owners want. For example, they can't allow Phone Bone to do things Jeff Smith wouldn't want. They do plan to create a community focused tool to create your own adventure games.

:eek:

EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would pay good money for that tool.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Joystiq

Modding? They need to ensure that licensed properties are treated the way their owners want. For example, they can't allow Phone Bone to do things Jeff Smith wouldn't want. They do plan to create a community focused tool to create your own adventure games.

:eek:

EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would pay good money for that tool.

EDIT2: I was wrong. Telltale tool for all is on its way.
  • edited August 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    I heard "Plans to license tools". Maybe I was wrong? *Shrugs*

(PS, I really, really, hope it doesn't sound like I'm pompously flaunting the fact that I was at PAX. If it does, sorry!!)

:p Nothing wrong with that, I brag my ass off when something cool happens to me :D (and I'm usually extremely modest)

As for a public TT Tool, that would be the greatest thing since AGS.
  • edited August 2007
    No kidding! If I could get a hold of it, master it and convince my friends to help.......*drool*
  • edited August 2007
    It would be an awesome tool for those folks trying to make KQIX...
  • edited August 2007
    One can only hope that the Telltale Tool is not released in the same manner as a typical Telltale game. Episodic content is great and all, but I highly doubt that many people would enjoy downloading the dialogue editor, rigging tool, sandbox editor, and scripts in monthly doses. :D
  • edited August 2007
    That would be positively awesome. Just think of all the possibilities...

Although what WOULD be a good way to integrate the episodic nature of Telltale into it would be monthly downloadable expansions, giving you the ability to use new characters, environments, objects, etc.
  • edited August 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    I heard "Plans to license tools". Maybe I was wrong? *Shrugs*
    Turns out, I was wrong. Jake confirmed the tool to the public.

:D
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    As for a public TT Tool, that would be the greatest thing since AGS.

Nah. It would be the greatest thing since Wintermute. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Great! A tsunami of mediocre fan games awaits..
  • edited August 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    Nah. It would be the greatest thing since Wintermute. :D

*Googles it*

:O Holy marzipan mormons mingling merrily! That looks.... so easy to use... and yet... so unrestricted....*drools*
  • edited August 2007
    I'd love to use the Telltale tool to make some of my own adventure games, and Cyberlink's idea of "would be monthly downloadable expansions, giving you the ability to use new characters, environments, objects, etc." is awesome.

But there'd probably have to be some limit on how these games can be released, I would think. I could just imagine people flogging their games on eBay or posting them on forums saying "this is the new Sam & Max game".
  • edited August 2007
    Cyberlink's idea of "would be monthly downloadable expansions, giving you the ability to use new characters, environments, objects, etc." is awesome.
    Yes, Cyberlink's idea, which was in no way inspired by mine, sounds great. Although, to be fair, my 'idea' was more of a wise crack, anyway. The very idea of chopping the Telltale Tool into small chunks would be ridiculous, but monthly content updates, such as characters, environments, inventory items, and other assorted objects would be very welcome additions, indeed. In much the same way that content is added to the Telltale Comic Generator, which is then abused by adoring fans around the world.

Speaking of the Telltale Comic Generator, it has been quite a while since that was updated.
  • edited August 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Great! A tsunami of mediocre fan games awaits..

Or somebody could create the next Cave Story. Who knows?
  • edited September 2007
    Why releasing the media and art please juste release the tool and manual, we will do the rest ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    The tool, while awesome, is still a jumbled collection of crazy things which don't always work as advertised (if at all), so it's a long ways from just being dumped up onto the site. Someday, it would be excellent, though.
  • edited September 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    The tool, while awesome, is still a jumbled collection of crazy things which don't always work as advertised (if at all), so it's a long ways from just being dumped up onto the site. Someday, it would be excellent, though.

So what else is new? Everyone's tools are like that. That's why they aren't actually ever released to the public.

Except sometimes they are, of course. But that's the rare exception.
  • edited September 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    So what else is new? Everyone's tools are like that.

Amen, brudda. Even the wonderful Source SDK crashes randomly and often (much to my dismay), with many features that don't do jack.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    So what else is new? Everyone's tools are like that. That's why they aren't actually ever released to the public.

Except sometimes they are, of course. But that's the rare exception.

... yes. That's why we're not 'just releasing the tool and manual.' :P
  • edited August 2009
    I'd love to make a 3D sequel to my upcoming game.
  • edited August 2009
    Wow, digging back almost 2 years in the vault for this thread.
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Wow, digging back almost 2 years in the vault for this thread.

And an embarrassing thread, at that... At least, for me. Did I honestly think that the TTT would be as user-friendly as AGS?

Of course, that was dated a month after I turned 21, so I was often drunk at the time... :p
  • edited August 2009
    Hi, I saw this increase of interest in developing you own 3D adventure games, and I would like to use opportunity to do little advertisement, I hope this doesn't offend anyone :)

I'm developing such a tool, called Dage, (Dog Adventure Game Engine).

With Dage one can create fully scripted free 3D adventure games with no or little pain.

See Dage documentation for more information

You can post questions related to Dage in

Dage forum
    , so this doesn't get off-topic.

Dage is certainly not the same level of quality as Telltales Engine, and not even finished yet, but it is growing steadily and is starting to gear up a quite a nice set of tools.

Pauli Suuraho
    Developer of Dage
  • edited December 2009
    I cant figure out, will this tool be made public or not?
  • edited December 2009
    I cant figure out, will this tool be made public or not?

Not for a while, if ever.
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe around 2025, when people look at the Telltale Tool the same way we look now at the SCUMM Engine and DOS.
  • edited December 2009
    As a religion?

2025 is too far away! Besides, I thought the world is going to end on 2012. [whispers]
    No more pull ups!
    [/whispers]

That movie had the worst lines ever...
  • edited December 2009
    Wow, how come I missed this??
    Think of the possibilities! "I wonder what happens in Tales of Monkey Island Season 2" made with the ACTUAL TT Tool! Hehe... Less work for Majus, more work for Suro.

...not me, I just compose and voice act. :p
  • edited December 2009
    Please I want that tool Telltale! Give it!
    I mean it,
    Seriously
  • edited December 2009
    Hi, I saw this increase of interest in developing you own 3D adventure games, and I would like to use opportunity to do little advertisement, I hope this doesn't offend anyone :)

I'm developing such a tool, called Dage, (Dog Adventure Game Engine).

With Dage one can create fully scripted free 3D adventure games with no or little pain.

See Dage documentation for more information

You can post questions related to Dage in

Dage forum
    , so this doesn't get off-topic.

Dage is certainly not the same level of quality as Telltales Engine, and not even finished yet, but it is growing steadily and is starting to gear up a quite a nice set of tools.

Pauli Suuraho
    Developer of Dage

Ive checked the demo game and Im Very Impressed , possibly the closest thing to an all 3D Point N Click Engine out there (that Ive found anyway)

All the Telltale games say ' Made with the Telltale Tool ' which sounds exciting and yes I'd love to see what it can do but while its still a currently used tool thats making commercial games and making money , it wouldnt make much sence for them to release it to the public and 'potential rivals' , so I wont hold my breath for it to be released ;)
  • edited December 2009
    As I said in the other thread about T3, I hope it never gets released to the public because it will only cause a flood of games with MS-paint quality graphics (or graphics ripped from a popular game like HL) which have no logical plot, and which work only to give the game industry and TTG/T3 a bad name.

If you REALLY want to build a game, prove your commited to it and write your own engine. I tried, I made a hellova lot of progress, but I realized I wasnt committed enough at the time. (I do still piddle with it and may one day finish it, no idea) If you dont have that level of determination you have no right to be making games.
  • edited December 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread about T3, I hope it never gets released to the public because it will only cause a flood of games with MS-paint quality graphics (or graphics ripped from a popular game like HL) which have no logical plot, and which work only to give the game industry and TTG/T3 a bad name.
    Do poorly made adventure games released for free on the Internet really give the game industry a bad name any more than bad self insert fanfiction gives books a bad name? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really asking.

If you REALLY want to build a game, prove your commited to it and write your own engine. I tried, I made a hellova lot of progress, but I realized I wasnt committed enough at the time. (I do still piddle with it and may one day finish it, no idea) If you dont have that level of determination you have no right to be making games.[/QUOTE]
    Are you saying that if you don't force yourself to do a lot of unnecessary extra work, you're not allowed to make a game, no matter how dedicated you are in every other respect?
  • edited December 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Do poorly made adventure games released for free on the Internet really give the game industry a bad name any more than bad self insert fanfiction gives books a bad name? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really asking.

They give that GENRE or that ENGINE a bad name. If you google Zcode (I think that's the name of Infocom's engine) after it was released a lot of STUPID interactive fiction games were released. Nobody took Zcode seriously anymore.

And lots of bad self-insertion fanfics give a band name to the category. (i.e. people stop liking the fanfics from that series) It's happened and managed to kill the fanfics of certain series (except for the crappy ones). I used to read fanfics from 4 different series. As it is, I gave up some years ago as I found nothing but crap anymore. (though not as many self-insertions as just poor writing, no plot, and childish - clearly written by kids)

Shwoo wrote: »
    Are you saying that if you don't force yourself to do a lot of unnecessary extra work, you're not allowed to make a game, no matter how dedicated you are in every other respect?

My point is that most people say "oh hey I just finished game X and I have a great idea for my own game!" and they write up a puzzle or two and a loose plot. If they have access to an engine they will put those into it, and in the end they have a game with 1-4 rooms, and a puzzle or two. Then they run out of ideas. Worse still, most will copy puzzles from the game they just finished, sometimes puzzles that have no place in the game (immagine a fantasy game in medieval times where a computer-based puzzle suddenly appears) Then, to explain the new puzzles (if they're explained at all) the plot starts taking sharp turns that would make a B-horror movie writed sick. Then, this patchwork franken-game (with little logic and plot-holes large enough to fly a 747 through) is uploaded to the internet and forgotten.

Now, I'm not saying ALL of the wanna-be-game-developers are like that. But giving them a pre-built engine imo ENCOURAGES them to make crappy games...
  • edited December 2009
    Check out 'Dage' - Dog Adventure Game Engine

screenshot05.jpg

It really has the potential to full 3D Point N Click Games

Youtube Showcase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Dg0f0peQA
  • edited December 2009
    Here's another tool WME.
    If someone's not a complete idiot (like me) in the ways of 3D it can be used to create 2.5D games (some games created with this tool are free downloads on the site).
  • edited December 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    Here's another tool WME.
    If someone's not a complete idiot (like me) in the ways of 3D it can be used to create 2.5D games (some games created with this tool are free downloads on the site).

It can also be used to create the biggest ripoff in the history of mankind!
  • edited December 2009
    I get the feeling nobody really agrees with my stance on having to build your own engine... *mutters*
  • edited December 2009
    It's not that nobody agrees - those free engines are just fine for a practice ground for people who want to start \ learn something.
  • edited December 2009
    Haven't you heard of Wintermute Engine 2? it's in development
    It's a full 3d adventure game engine ...
    Here's the development blog.
  • edited December 2009
    I sure hope that the engine isn't too user friendly, or we'll get a bunch of stupid games made by nine-year-olds that don't make sense. (the youtube of adventure games?)
  • edited December 2009
    For the people who are interesting in making 3D games I'm gonna recommend the quake 3 engine, while it's not the newest and sexiest engine, it's really easy to modify (at least in comparison) and completely free to use. URL: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/

General advice from me, look for free 3D engines and modify them, saves you a lot of time from having to make your own from scratch. And it will be better, a good 3D engine is not something you pull out of your ass, why invent the wheel again? Use what exists which is good for free and modify it instead! :)

Also, for the above poster, the easier something is to use, the better, way may get a lot of crap from 9 year olds having fun, but the occasional 9 year old making a good game is worth the crap, give people a chance and you'll be surprised at what they achieve. Just add a good grading system ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.