Just Finished Puzzle Agent

I signed up to say this.

I just bought Puzzle Agent because it came in a bundle on Steam really cheap. I had seen the game before but it never caught my attention. Worst mistake ever.

I absolutely love this game. As soon as I started it I didn't want to stop until it was finished (and I would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for appointments!). Amazing visuals, story, voiceovers, music, everything. The atmosphere was perfect, and the comedy was always in the right places.

So, because of this game, I'm definitely going to look into Telltale's other games. Which makes me ask, for someone like me, who's first Telltale game is Puzzle Agent, what would you suggest next?

Also, is there going to be a sequel to Puzzle Agent? There really needs to be. While I did enjoy the game, the ending left me wanting so much more.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I would suggest you to play Sam and Max or Tales of Monkey Island, but that's just my opinion.

Telltale hasn't released any news about the sequel yet, but Graham Annable (the creator of the art style in the game) said in an interview that the story for the sequel is already finished and that agent Theaters will be returning to Scoggins at some point at the game if they make a sequel.
  • edited November 2010
    Puzzle Agent is part of Telltale's "Pilot Program", so any sequel would rely on having sold well

Right now's a GREAT time to be getting into Telltale games, everything in their store is 50% off(excluding Poker Night at the Inventory and Back to the Future). My personal suggestion? A 1-2 punch of Sam and Max, Seasons 1 and 2. Season One can start off a bit rough around the edges, but overall it's great, and Season Two is amazing. I prefer it over Tales of Monkey Island, but that series can come off a bit more polished in terms of production values.

Another thing you could try is to buy an episode of each series and try them out on rapid-fire. Both of the first two Sam and Max seasons, Tales of Monkey Island, Wallace and Gromit, and the Strong Bad season all have "Season Upgrade" options, so you can try one episode and see if you want to grab the rest!

I also wouldn't suggest playing anything out of order. Some people may say it's fine, but I've found it to be best to play from start to finish in any given season.

Another thing to note is that Telltale has an upcoming season based on the Back to the Future franchise. That's another thing you could order, and get the month-to-month episode release experience.

Note that in most of Telltale's other games, the puzzles are less "contained" and "overt". Generally speaking, a Telltale game is similar to the old point and click adventure games, in that the puzzles are more ingrained in the story. The specific style of puzzle gameplay in "Puzzle Agent" was something of a departure and an experiment for Telltale, one that I think they pulled off extremely well, but the distinction should be made.

In terms of games to avoid, I'd say you should steer clear(at least for now) of Telltale Texas Hold-'Em, Poker Night at the Inventory, and Bone. The first two are Poker games and aren't really indicative of Telltale puzzle game style(and Telltale Texas Hold 'Em was more of an engine prototype), and Bone is somewhat atypical in its design as it was Telltale's earliest adventure property. Interesting, not bad, but not the best introduction to Telltale, I don't think.
  • edited November 2010
    Puzzle Agent is currently the only Telltale game that's quite like Puzzle Agent. Telltale's other games are fun, but in a different way. If you want to see what they're like without spending any money, check out Sam & Max episode 104, which is free to download. If you like that, grab the rest of the Sam & Max seasons while the sale is still on!

Telltale hasn't yet announced if they'll be making any other Puzzle-Agent-like games or not.
  • edited November 2010
    Puzzle Agent is part of Telltale's "Pilot Program", so any sequel would rely on having sold well

Right now's a GREAT time to be getting into Telltale games, everything in their store is 50% off(excluding Poker Night at the Inventory and Back to the Future). My personal suggestion? A 1-2 punch of Sam and Max, Seasons 1 and 2. Season One can start off a bit rough around the edges, but overall it's great, and Season Two is amazing. I prefer it over Tales of Monkey Island, but that series can come off a bit more polished in terms of production values.

If you actually survive through the entire Season 2 and continue on enjoying Sam and Max even after THAT forced compilation, I still think Season 3 is a lot better.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone, I'll check out Sam and Max. In the meantime I'll have my fingers crossed for more Puzzle Agent :P

And I happened to get the first episode of the Back to the Future series for free in a promotion they were doing awhile ago. It just now clicked that it's the same company, lol. I'll probably be following that month to month then.
  • edited November 2010
    Telltale hasn't released any news about the sequel yet, but Graham Annable (the creator of the art style in the game) said in an interview that the story for the sequel is already finished and that agent Theaters will be returning to Scoggins at some point at the game if they make a sequel.

I don't suppose you have some sort of link to the interview, do you? I'd like to see it.
  • edited November 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I don't suppose you have some sort of link to the interview, do you? I'd like to see it.

I'd like to know too, I searched and can't find that anywhere.
  • edited December 2010
    found it by typing "graham annable puzzle agent" into google, choice #3

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/07/13/mini-interview-puzzle-agent-what-does-graham-annable-think/

i absolutely loved this game.....and the room key made me feel stupid. took forever. but i feel there was no reason to change it.
  • edited December 2010
    Ben BB wrote: »
    found it by typing "graham annable puzzle agent" into google, choice #3

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/07/13/mini-interview-puzzle-agent-what-does-graham-annable-think/

Thank you! :D
  • edited December 2010
    I would love another Puzzle Agent game.
    At first I didn't think I'd like it that much as I prefer the adventure style gameplay to the puzzle games,
    but once I started I could hardly stop!
    The story and atmosphere just sucked me in...
    Heh, I even let out a yelp when that gnome appeared inside a puzzle to steal my pieces...
    Great, great story telling!
  • edited December 2010
    I just finished it yesterday, and it's not even too bad.
    Although most puzzles were incredibly simple and obvious (to me) there were at least a couple that took me some time to figure out.
    I wish future episodes had some sort of automatic puzzle generator (some puzzles would work really well with this), so you can still come back to the game after finishing the story. For the sake of having everyone enjoy the story, just make the story puzzles simple and the optional puzzles hard, but I'd really like some harder puzzles.

Story telling, style and voice acting worked really well, and is certainly this game's strong point, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who like to solve puzzles.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.