Sam & Max in Japan?

edited March 2011 in Sam & Max
That would be interesting.

Though based on Japanese voice acting culture, I would imagine Max being voiced by a girl...

EDIT 1/13/10: Hey, since we all seem to have this much faith into this thing, how about we actually have everyone pitch-in and create a dub for the animated Sam & Max episode "Aaiiieee Robot"? I know it's a longshot, but I believe with a lot of teamwork and time we could absolutely do it! :D

For those that wanna join the project, simply post and state what you'll be doing to help out!

What we need:

*Japanese translators
*Japanese dub script writers
*Voice actors who can read and pronounce Hiragana fluently
*If possible, a copy of the episode "Aaiiieee Robot" with the sound effects, music and no voices (for dubbing)
*Other great people that think they can help out in some way

Q&A:

Q: Why Japanese?

A: Mostly because Japan's never heard of Sam & Max: Freelance Police and we want to let the country know about it. Not only that, we also actually have a surprisingly good amount of Japanese speakers right here in the Telltale forums, ready to do this project.

Q: Do I have to know Japanese in order to help out?

A: Absolutely not, if you think there's a Japanese-free way which you can help out on, feel welcome to do it.

Q: Who's idea was it to dub "Aiiieee Robot"?

A: Steve Purcell himself! Nah, not really... But out of ALL his 18 posts in the entire time he's been in the Telltale forums, he posted the link to the episode in this topic. Giving us the idea of dubbing that episode.

Q: When can we expect the whole dubbed episode to be ready?

A: In a long while. At least more than 6 months I think. We gotta recruit members, write a script, record voices, edit the episode, etc.

Okay, that's it! I really hope we can get this whole thing through. If we do, that will be an amazing achievement to the Sam & Max fan community! I'll try helping out by doing various things when needed. I'll mostly be supervising the topic and respond to questions about the project though.

がんばって!(good luck!)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Though based on Japanese voice acting culture, I would imagine Max being voiced by a girl...

Am I really the only one finds that quite adorable?
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe it would have Gygto.
  • edited December 2010
    If that would be the case, I only hope that jap people will appreciate sam & max humor
  • edited December 2010
    Vyse220 wrote: »
    If that would be the case, I only hope that jap people will appreciate sam & max humor

I start to think they're also bored from "hot anime chick shows major pantyshot in appropriate times and gets embarassed" and "fat people trying to squeeze in narrow openings on walls that move to them before the wall pushes them to a pool" types of humor.
  • edited December 2010
    Would be fun hearing them in Japanese :D
  • edited December 2010
    I always thought that with that mouth that goes from invisible if closed to almost the full width of his head if open Max should fit right in.
  • edited December 2010
    Naw. They'd need blue hair.
  • edited December 2010
    I love Sam & Max...I love anime...and yet the idea of combining the two fills me with unspeakable dread.

Someone should prove me wrong with fanart supporting this idea, hint hint.

(This is me being subtle.)
  • edited December 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    Naw. They'd need blue hair.

You just GOTTA have blue hair! :D
  • edited December 2010
    This reminds me of the time I attempted to write a Sam and Max / Lupin III crossover. Getting the characterization down for all of the main characters interacting with each other felt like a daunting task, and so I kinda put the whole thing on the backburner for quite a while.

More on topic, if we're going to have a Sam and Max show in Japan, I want the guys who animate The Boondocks to be in charge of animating this one, too. Just my opinion.
  • edited December 2010
    I toyed with the idea of drawing a Sam and Max doujinshi. Momma Bosco would have gotten a fever while struggling with her feelings for Superball, and Superball would have had to care for her and fight of Flaming Max spores while she rested.
  • edited December 2010
    i don't speak japanese
  • edited December 2010
    That would be interesting.

Did somebody call me? I'm plannin on dubbing some Sam and Max into Japanese for the lulz.
  • edited December 2010
    Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it....

Please?
  • edited December 2010
    Did somebody call me? I'm plannin on dubbing some Sam and Max into Japanese for the lulz.

Oho, yes! Would love to hear them! :)
  • edited December 2010
    Allright. Considering I'm on break until Jan 7th, call it a late Christmas gift to you guys. I'll do The "Vice Squad" or "Coffee" (from the season 1 machiminia) or something else that's short. You guys can pick it, but choose a short or a machiminia 6 minutes or less. You could also pick a scene or dialogue that fits the 6 minute time constraint. I'll need a YouTube link, regardless.

The War Song, World of Max, or any other song is not an option- singing is OK but translating songs are a pain in the butt.

Also, for anyone who knows Japanese, Max is getting the "ore" pronoun and Sam the "boku". I think that's intrinsically hilarious. (Ore is used by tough guys, gangsters, and Edward Elric. Boku is used by more passive Japanese guys)

EDIT: I'm going to do Interrogation, at least for some practice. The jokes involve comparisons, but no puns like Egregious Philosophy Platter or The Blank Blank Blank. Puns a re a PAIN to translate. X_X

EDIT EDIT: Started translating. I've taken a number of liberties with the script- the top is the original lines, the middle is the Japanese, and the bottom is what that Japanese actually means, because it isn't the same. I'd rather have a product that feels like a natural conversation than a stilted direct translation, so some things got changed. If anyone here can speak Japanese (even a little, I can give you the script without kanji) and wants to play Sam, that'd be nice. Otherwise, I'll do all of it. I'll edit this post a I finalize more lines.

Sam and Max- Japanese version

Interrogation
    訊問 じんもん

SAM: Hey, kids! You know, the life of a fake cop is rife with personal challenges.
    じゃあ、みんな!まやかしの警察官の人生で仕事の問題が多いすぎる。
    (Lit: Hey, everyone! In the life of a fake police officer, there are a number of work-related problems)

MAX: Rife? RIFE?
    まやかしなのかい?
    (What do you mean, fake?)

SAM: Interrogating the suspect is a skill that requires intelligence, teamwork, and a hint of subtle coercion.

MAX: Nailgun! Nailgun!
    ホチキス使いたい
    (I wanna use the stapler!)

SAM: Extracting a confession from an uncooperative perp is much like eating potato chips.

MAX: Once you start, you just can’t stop?
    したら、終われないのかい?
    If you do it, you’ll be unable to stop?

SAM: Well, sure! Plus, it raises the blood pressure and gets your knuckles all greasy.

MAX: But in a good way!

SAM: Well, that goes without saying.

MAX: So, what are we jawing about? Let’s crack open this sweaty sack of bad news and let the presents fall out!

SAM: Now, Max, remember, the accused is considered innocent until proven guilty. Oh, well. Let the carnage begin! Max, cordless router, please.

Lenord: Ah! It hurts! Mama, oh mama!
    痛い〜!お母さん、痛いよ!
    (The pain, Mother, the pain!)

SAM: What are the chances? The poor sap landed in the back of a delivery truck full of broken glass, raor sharp scrap metal, and macai spears.

MAX: Justice is a cruel, cruel truckload of pointy crap.
    ごじょうはするどい物が入れたトラックである。
    (Justice… is a truck loaded full of sharp things.[said in the style of an Anime narrator])
  • edited December 2010
    I think I can read romanized pretty well, I can help.

My only real problem is that my best sam voice sounds closer to Hit the Road than TTG.
  • edited December 2010
    Your project sounds interesting, but could there be some romaji or at least furigana in those translations? I REALLY hate kanji x___x
  • edited December 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Your project sounds interesting, but could there be some romaji or at least furigana in those translations? I REALLY hate kanji x___x

I'm stil messing around with the script. I'll add romaji or furigana when I'm done.
  • edited December 2010

O_O. Holy ****. Well, if Steve Purcell wants me to do it, who am I to argue? Mr. Purcell, consider it done! Do you want the whole thing in Japanese, or just the parts in Japan?
  • edited December 2010
    Not to ruin your enthusiasm, but are you quite sure that's what he's suggesting, and he's not just making a general comment on "Sam & Max in Japan?"? I smell a miscommunication.
  • edited December 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Not to ruin your enthusiasm, but are you quite sure that's what he's suggesting, and he's not just making a general comment on "Sam & Max in Japan?"? I smell a miscommunication.

Well, it's good practice regardless.
  • edited December 2010
    Out of curiosity, are you a native Japanese speaker? I only ask because there's a few pretty elementary Japanese errors in there, and I'm not sure if they're just typos or not :P
  • edited December 2010
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are you a native Japanese speaker? I only ask because there's a few pretty elementary Japanese errors in there, and I'm not sure if they're just typos or not :P

As many of the people on the boards know (or if you check my profile) I'm not a native speaker, I'm not Japanese either, I just have been living in Tokyo for a while (I'm actually an albino Ashkenazi girl born in New Jersey, if you care). I also know there are a number of mistakes, and quite a few typos that I caught too- I was typing that on my phone and it is only a draft. (also, it's funny- many Japanese people can't even speak Japanese 'properly', not that this is an excuse, just something I observed. Then again, that's true of most languages, just look at usage of their-they're-there on the Internet)

I'm more used to translating out of Japanese than into it, which is why I want to practice. Since I love Sam and Max, and humor is hard to translate, I thought it would be a good idea. But, I'm happy to take any criticism or comments if you have them.
  • edited December 2010
    As many of the people on the boards know (or if you check my profile) I'm not a native speaker, I'm not Japanese either, I just have been living in Tokyo for a while (I'm actually an albino Ashkenazi girl born in New Jersey, if you care). I also know there are a number mistakes, and quite a few typos that I caught too- I was typing that on my phone and it is only a draft. (also, it's funny- many Japanese people can't even speak Japanese 'properly', not that this is an excuse, just something I observed. Then again, that's true of most languages, just look at usage of their-they're-there on the Internet)

I'm more used to translating out of Japanese than into it, which is why I want to practice. Since I love Sam and Max, and humor is hard to translate, I thought it would be a good idea. But, I'm happy to take any criticism or comments if you have them.

Cool. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything -- you just used some fairly advanced/uncommon words so I wasn't sure!

I too lived the 「異人」experience in Japan for a number of years, and I wholeheartedly support anyone trying to get better at the language so... go you :D. I won't offer suggestions since it's your project (unless you want them)... Though you should drop the い in 多いすぎる.
  • edited December 2010

Can we have more giant mechas in the future? :D

I love the MegaMax 3000... =V=
  • edited December 2010
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    Cool. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything -- you just used some fairly advanced/uncommon words so I wasn't sure!

I too lived the 「異人」experience in Japan for a number of years, and I wholeheartedly support anyone trying to get better at the language so... go you :D. I won't offer suggestions since it's your project (unless you want them)... Though you should drop the い in 多いすぎる.

That wasn't a typo- that was me originally just wanting to type 多い (ooi; many or much) but I felt it didn't have the impact of "rife". Since there's no real word for rife directly in Japanese, I decided to make it more pronounced by changing it to "多すぎる” (oosugiru, way too much) and forgot to drop the extra い. So, that was simply my stupidity. I should have waited to post the scrip until I finish.
  • edited December 2010

Taking some shots at this despite my complete ignorance of casual Japanese grammar.

SAM: Well, here we are in Japan, land of the Rising Sun and home to shambling, rubberized beasties of all persuasions!
    じゃあ、ここ日本!恐ろしくて変てこで映画的な怪獣だらけ!
    (Jaa, koko Nihon! Osoroshikute henteko de eigateki na kaijuu darake!)
    (Well, here's Japan! Filled with terrifying, weird and movie-like monsters!)
    (Well, here Japan! Scary and strange and movie-like monsters riddled with!)
    (when i return land to the right suntan lotion ling rubberized these days of all persuasions)

MAX: Y'know, this is exactly what my dreams look like when I eat green bananas in bed!
    ね、夢がこれになっちゃって。緑バナナこなすからと思う。
    (Ne, yume ga kore ni nachatte. Midori banana konasu kara to omou.)
    (Huh, my dreams have become this lately. I think it's because of those green bananas.)
    (Hey, dreams here in end up become. Green banana digest from with think.)
    (in only sixteen did extremely well)

SAM: Looks like we got here just in time! This town is desperately in need of our extreme brand of unauthorized freelance policing!
    すれすれ行った!スーパー甚だしいフリーランス警察警備してあげてはどう?
    (Suresure itta! Suupaa hanahadashii furiiransu keisatsu keibi shite agete wa dou?)
    (We sure got here on time! How about we supply this town with some SUPER EXCESSIVE FREELANCE POLICE DEFENSE?)
    (On the margin went! Super Extreme Freelance Police Defense doing giving as for how about?)
    (dada dog-eared just in time discounts desperately in need of our extreme brando unauthorized freelance policing)

MAX: Extreme Freelance Police! Sounds like a committee-generated notion for next season, Sam.
    スーパー甚だしいフリーランス警察!テレビプロデューサどんな意見かな。
    (Suupaa hanahadashii furiiransu keisatsu! Terebi prodyuusa donna iken kana.)
    (Super Excessive Freelance Police! Wonder what the higher ups will think of this.)
    (Super Extreme Freelance Police! Television producer what kind of opinion I wonder.)
    (extreme relates policeman sounds like a committee generated notion for next season sam)

SAM: Quiet, Max, they'll hear ya.
    いや、できない。
    (Iya, dekinai.)
    (Nah, they won't even bother!)
    (No, can't do.)
    (quiet maxtor cheerio)

So how'd I do?
  • edited December 2010
    That wasn't a typo- that was me originally just wanting to type 多い (ooi; many or much) but I felt it didn't have the impact of "rife". Since there's no real word for rife directly in Japanese, I decided to make it more pronounced by changing it to "多すぎる” (oosugiru, way too much) and forgot to drop the extra い. So, that was simply my stupidity. I should have waited to post the scrip until I finish.

There sort of is a good word for 'rife' actually -- 横行. It's usually used with suru. i.e. まやかしの警察官の生活では問題が横行している。Hope that helps a little.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow, I was the one who started this topic not expecting much...

You know, I know a bit of Japanese myself.

Okay, for those who want me to change the topic to "Sam & Max Japanese Dub Project" say I
  • edited December 2010
    Dude, we should totally do "Aiie Robot" together! I like translating, but I don't want ti to be "my" project. It seems like if we all put our heads together, we could do it!
  • edited December 2010
    It would be more awesome if we all got this thing officially approved and aquired a version of the episode with no voices. :D
  • edited December 2010
    Dude, we should totally do "Aiie Robot" together! I like translating, but I don't want ti to be "my" project. It seems like if we all put our heads together, we could do it!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sure, why not.
  • edited December 2010
    Well "Hit the Road" was localized to the Japanese market (when and how many copies were produced, I don't know). I think they just translated the subtitles than dubbed it though...
    japanese.jpg (Found on eBay.)
  • edited December 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    Well "Hit the Road" was localized to the Japanese market (when and how many copies were produced, I don't know). I think they just translated the subtitles than dubbed it though...
    japanese.jpg (Found on eBay.)

Something tells me it was a very limited run. Look at the price. And it came out way after the Japanese economy' bubble burst. In 1995, that number of yen was about $122.50
  • FlyFly
    edited December 2010
    I'm enough of a weeaboo that I'm really looking forward to seeing a Japanese dub of Aiieeee Robot. I don't have any Japanese ability or knowledge at all, but I could help with SFX and foley if you have to lose the entire audio of the episode to do the fandub. I could also help with music in a pinch.
  • edited January 2011
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I love Sam & Max...I love anime...and yet the idea of combining the two fills me with unspeakable dread.

Someone should prove me wrong with fanart supporting this idea, hint hint.

(This is me being subtle.)

There is only one studio I'd trust with Sam & Max: Gainax.

If you've seen Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, you'd understand why.
  • edited January 2011
    Thought I would add this fanart in. I don't know if the artwork can be found individually, it's put as a background picture to Soda Poppers' theme. It's a good one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxCUkAaBng
  • edited January 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Thought I would add this fanart in. I don't know if the artwork can be found individually, it's put as a background picture to Soda Poppers' theme. It's a good one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxCUkAaBng

The individual art is here: http://ryuumajin.deviantart.com/art/Sam-and-Max-for-PS2-yea-rite-93982084

Looks to be made by the same guy that made that video.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.