Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)

from xbox360achievements.org

Activision has announced that it's set to publish the Monkey Island Special Edition Collection for release later this year, bundling The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge into one neat package with additional bonus content from the Lucasarts vault.

Both games will be available in their entirety on the retail disc, with remastered HD graphics, the remastered score, full voiceover and a hints system to help you out should you get stuck. And yes, you'll still be able to seamlessly switch between the classic and HD versions of the game at the touch of a button, and you'll still get the commentary from creators Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman on Monkey Island 2.

Both full games will come with new, newver-before-seen bonus content on the disc too, including environment and character concept art from the Special Editions and the original and re-recorded soundtracks. There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day.

Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will be flying the Jolly Roger and setting sail to retail stores on September 9th, 2011. If you can't wait that long though, you could always download the games from the Xbox Live Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points each.

Best news ever and good to see LucasArts MI back in stores.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Wait, they're officially releasing the Monkey Island movie concept art and storyboards? That's pretty big news! I might just have to buy this collection...
  • edited July 2011
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310843/monkey-island-special-edition-collection-announced/
    Activision's announced the Monkey Island Special Edition Collection.

As you no doubt probably guessed, it's a collection of all the Monkey Island HD Special Editions to date.

That includes Special Editions for The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge. The collection will also feature never-before-seen bonus content from the LucasArts vault.

Included in the bonus content is environment and character concept art, remastered and re-recorded soundtracks for both games, plus storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic exploration of a Monkey Island animated movie that was never released.

To see how good the Monkey Island Special Editions look, and for a jolt of nostalgia, have a look at the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition shots compared with the original back in March.

The Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will release on September 9 for PS3, 360 and PC in Europe.

This... is very cool.
  • edited July 2011
    Holy fuck, official soundtracks???? Woohoo!!!
  • edited July 2011
    Indeed.
  • edited July 2011
    Don't worry to anyone whos wondering, this collection is coming out on all 3 formats, PC, 360 and PS3
  • edited July 2011
    Activision?
  • edited July 2011
    Brilliant news. I already own both games on the PC and for the PS3 but I'll be buying this collection for both formats. That'll mean I'll have four copies of each game, so no-one can say I don't support my favourite genre.

Hopefully, if this retail release does well, then LucasArts will finally get off its bloated arse and take notice. Then maybe they'll get the gears moving towards a Monkey Island 6.
  • edited July 2011
    Is this only on Xbox360? Cos il have to dig mine out.
  • edited July 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Is this only on Xbox360? Cos il have to dig mine out.

As Threepwood4Life pointed out only a few posts above...
    Don't worry to anyone whos wondering, this collection is coming out on all 3 formats, PC, 360 and PS3
    :D
  • edited July 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    As Threepwood4Life pointed out only a few posts above...

:D

Opps :P but YAY I wont have to hunt in my attic for my Xbox.
  • edited July 2011
    Radogol wrote: »
    Activision?

LucasArts publisher in Europe.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm sure the official soundtracks will be professional, but the fan releases have been pretty amazing. The boys over on the mojo boards put together three or four versions that were pretty dang good.
  • edited July 2011
    And there goes more of my money. :D This is awesome news. I never expected Lucasarts to put it in retail form.
  • edited July 2011
    A chance to own Monkey Island on the PS3 with a Blu-ray case AND on PC, I have to say, if priced well, I'll be buying it twice.
  • edited July 2011
    Really hope it's a DVD version.
  • edited July 2011
    I think we all knew it would come out eventually... too bad it wasnt being released with MI3 playable on modern PC (without third party software) the PS3 and 360...
  • edited July 2011
    Alexrd wrote: »
    LucasArts publisher in Europe.

Wait, Activision are a subsidiary of LucasArts? Cos we still get games with LucasArts stamps on over here, so...
  • edited July 2011
    Maybe they will fix guybrush's hair in the first SE.
  • edited July 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Maybe they will fix guybrush's hair in the first SE.

Or use the MI1 Guybrush who appears in MI2 during the flashback, surprised we never saw a mod for that actually.
  • edited July 2011
    Maybe they will add the voice acting to the original game too.
  • edited July 2011
    Is it too optimistic for me to believe this is a positive sign for more Monkey Island in the future? Lucasarts new management has shown at least a PASSING interest in the Monkey Island franchise, so long as another publisher fronts the bill. Perhaps they'd be interested in letting Telltale publish a season 2 of Tales of Monkey Island?
  • edited July 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    Wait, Activision are a subsidiary of LucasArts?

No, but Activision has a longstanding partnership with LucasArts as their distributor for European territories. I believe the agreement gives Activision a certain degree of freedom with the LEC catalog, which would explain why just about every retail release of an LEC adventure game in the past ten years wasn't enjoyed by North America - Activision can put out a Monkey Island release in the UK if they see fit, while it would be up to LucasArts itself to handle a re-release stateside.
  • edited July 2011
    Is it too optimistic for me to believe this is a positive sign for more Monkey Island in the future? Lucasarts new management has shown at least a PASSING interest in the Monkey Island franchise, so long as another publisher fronts the bill. Perhaps they'd be interested in letting Telltale publish a season 2 of Tales of Monkey Island?

I dunno... but it will not hurt its cause if the thing sells really well.
  • edited July 2011

Thats how I see it. XP It shows Lucas still remebers ppl like Monkey Island.
  • edited July 2011
    http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/une-compilation-monkey-island-en-magasin.html#images

You can see the box version here guys, it says that special contents(bonus) are included. :)

Wait... an animated movie? Lucasarts is really back in the Monkey business, good news for a second season of ToMI! :D
  • edited July 2011
    Wait... an animated movie?

Nah. They considered a Monkey Island movie but it never went ahead. Allegedly some of the plans for the earlier live-action movie snuffled their way into the POTC movies.

Am I alone in thinking that this package is going to be Lucasrts' ONLY non-Star Wars activity for the near future?

"All those bozos want another Monkey Island game? Let's shove out the old ones again, that'll keep them quiet. Now, who'd win between C-3PO, Bobba Fett, and a chainsaw?"
  • edited July 2011
    http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/une-compilation-monkey-island-en-magasin.html#images

You can see the box version here guys, it says that special contents(bonus) are included. :)

Wait... an animated movie? Lucasarts is really back in the Monkey business, good news for a second season of ToMI! :D

LeChuck looks kind of weird, but other than that, the boxart is pretty cool.
  • edited July 2011
    It combines the best of both box arts.
  • edited July 2011
    LeChuck is weird, but better than the one on the box of the second special edition. And Guybrush is pretty cool too. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Nah. They considered a Monkey Island movie but it never went ahead. Allegedly some of the plans for the earlier live-action movie snuffled their way into the POTC movies.

Oh, yeah, THAT movie. :(
  • edited July 2011
    How come Activision is publishing it? They don't own Lucasarts do they?
  • edited July 2011
    Scnew wrote: »

Because LucasArts don't do anything anymore. They don't make games, they don't publish games. They just absorb the lucrative royalties whilst destroying dreams.

Man, I wish I were joking. :(
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited July 2011
    Scnew wrote: »

Nah, Activision only distributes Lucas Arts game.
  • edited July 2011
    Wow, that cover actually looks rather decent, it's like it's trying to correct the flaws of the previous Special Edition covers, and MI2 Guybrush in that pose is a lot more convincing than MI1 Guybrush was!
  • edited July 2011
    only in europe <:(
  • edited July 2011
    I have to believe it will hit the states too..... I HAVE TO!
    But it is true that Europeans seem to embrace adventure games more than Americans...
  • edited July 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    Because LucasArts don't do anything anymore. They don't make games, they don't publish games. They just absorb the lucrative royalties whilst destroying dreams.

Man, I wish I were joking. :(

At lest it increses the chances of TMI 2 since all they will do is sit back and let TTG do all the work.
  • edited July 2011
    What is lucas arts even doing now? i haven't even seen previews for a new internal game from them for a while. The only things that they are developing right now are star wars kinect and the old republic right?
  • edited July 2011
    What is lucas arts even doing now? i haven't even seen previews for a new internal game from them for a while. The only things that they are developing right now are star wars kinect and the old republic right?

No idea. And they're not developing the Old Republic, BioWare is.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm european and I've grown up with Monkey Island. :D

It's Bioware which develops The Old Republic no? :confused:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.