Telltale expands, promising "two unannounced series"

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I can officially confirm that if both licenses were pieces of chocolate cake, I would eat them.
  • edited February 2008
    Hopefully, both licensed titles are lucasarts games that isn't Star Wars
  • edited February 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    Hopefully, both licensed titles are lucasarts games that isn't Star Wars

Why would they be? LucasArts wouldn't give anything up. Sam & Max is different since it had a prenup. :p
  • edited February 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    I can officially confirm that if both licenses were pieces of chocolate cake, I would eat them.

what if both licenses were brussel sprouts? can you deny or confirm you would eat them then?

either way I'm excited! :D
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    I cheer for you Telltale, but I really hope you start making your own IPs.

One thing that I can foresee is that at least one of the two new games would not be.... an adventure game. Probably Adventure based, but not a classic adventure game.

BTW. Does the expansion means that you will fix TT Texas Hold'em? :)
  • edited February 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Before speculation starts running rampant, I'll go on record saying that both of the unannounced series are based on existing licenses.
    I'd be willing to bet that both of the licenses are based on comics, but since I'm not a general comic reader myself, I dare not speculate. Plus, if I were to somehow manage to miraculously answer them correctly, I risk giving Doug another near heart attack.
    ...and neither of the new licenses is Monkey Island. so stop asking :p
    I'm glad that I didn't hold my breath, then. I think that's how AdamG expired.
  • edited February 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    what if both licenses were brussel sprouts? can you deny or confirm you would eat them then?

either way I'm excited! :D

Brussel sprouts? No.

Asparagus? Yes.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    I happen to like Brussels sprouts. :p
  • edited February 2008
    If both licenses were brussels sprouts and were not overcooked, I would eat them :)
  • edited February 2008

So you deny that both or at least one of the licenses are or is a piece of chocolate cake? Meaning they are still in production so there is no cake? :o
    I happen to like Brussels sprouts. :p

OMG are you feeling alright?!?! O_O*
    Didn't you learn not to look into the eyes of a a hypno bear? :p
  • edited February 2008
    ...and neither of the new licenses is Monkey Island. so stop asking :p

That's exactly what you would say if one of them was, in fact, Monkey Island!

And Stinger*: the cake is a lie! But I guess you already know that...
  • edited February 2008
    I bet one of them is Maniac Mansion :p Yeah, yeah, that's Maniac Mansion, don't let me down already telling me I'm wrong :D
  • edited February 2008
    Day of the Tentacle?

*crosses fingers*
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Why all the tossed ideas are previous LA titles?

Regardless of which IPs are in the works, great things are loom,ing ahead.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Why all the tossed ideas are previous LA titles?

Regardless of which IPs are on the works, great things are loom,ing ahead.

*groan!*
  • edited February 2008
    mhaley wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet that both of the licenses are based on comics, but since I'm not a general comic reader myself, I dare not speculate. Plus, if I were to somehow manage to miraculously answer them correctly, I risk giving Doug another near heart attack.
    *coughAmbushBugcough*
    Hahaha... No way. I'd love to see that though. Just another one of those crazy dreams...
  • edited February 2008
    Let's add 1+1 together. Jim Ward stepped down from lucasarts, Telltale hires three ex-Lucasarts heavy hitters, Telltale is going to announce two new titles that are based on existing franchises. Neither of the new titles are going to be Monkey Island.

Full Throttle

and

DoTT

Though honestly, I doubt it'll be anything like Full Throttle or DoTT or any other of the old classics - they don't really have the built-in audience and all that. Both of the games are probably going to be Some-Very-Well-Known-Franchises (that have not yet been made as an adventure game, a la CSI).
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited February 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    *coughAmbushBugcough*
    Hahaha... No way. I'd love to see that though. Just another one of those crazy dreams...

Woah! Ambush Bug! I used to read those comics years ago! I loved them! I hear there is a new one coming... or recently released... or recently deceased... I should stop talking now.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    Let's add 1+1 together. Jim Ward stepped down from lucasarts, Telltale hires three ex-Lucasarts heavy hitters, Telltale is going to announce two new titles that are based on existing franchises. Neither of the new titles are going to be Monkey Island.

Full Throttle

and

DoTT

jumptoconclusions2xk.jpg
  • edited February 2008
    Linque wrote: »

Full Throttle

and

DoTT

Though honestly, I doubt it'll be anything like Full Throttle or DoTT or any other of the old classics - they don't really have the built-in audience and all that. Both of the games are probably going to be Some-Very-Well-Known-Franchises (that have not yet been made as an adventure game, a la CSI).

I'd imagine that, if they were to somehow magically get access to the rights to one of LucasArts' classic adventure game series, they'd choose Monkey Island. Ergo, if neither is Monkey Island, I doubt they'll have anything to do with LucasArts.

:p
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Wow!!!! An Office Space Game!!!!...
    oh wait, nah... Its just Jake that loves that carpet :D
    (BTW, does the carpet match the drapes?)

How about a Hans Moleman Game!
    Hans Moleman productions presents
    Episode 1: "Man Getting Hit By Football"
    Episode 2: "It's like Kissing a Peanut"
    Episode 3: "Good Moleman to You"
    Episode 4: "Oh no! My brains"
    Episode 5: "Escape from the fortress of the Moles"

Wait a minute, you are doing a Simpsons game, aren't you??? (I hope not)
  • edited February 2008
    Seein how one of the new employees they hired worked on a Simpsons game, I wouldn't be suprised if they do make a game of it. But doesn't EA owns the license to make games based on the Simpsons? I would rather see Telltale make a Simpsons game than a family Guy one.
  • edited February 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Why would they be? LucasArts wouldn't give anything up. Sam & Max is different since it had a prenup. :p

Because the guy who was the head of Lucasarts gaming division resigned, so it would be possible that the new person in charged would be less bias towards Star Wars and more open to in making games that doesn't involve light sabers.
  • edited February 2008
    Seein how telltale games made a CSI games, I wouldn't be suprised if one of the ips they got is Lost. True, L&O and Lost are two different types of show, but the two televisions are quite popular and Lost does seem apporiate as an adventure game. If not lost, then maybe Law and Order SVU.
  • edited February 2008
    I also think any old Sierra games are fair game for Telltale. All three Leisure Suit Larry games from the past 3 years have been made by smaller third party companies. If Telltale ever gets the lsl license, I have no doubts that they can do justice
  • edited February 2008
    What's with the triple post?
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    I also think any old Sierra games are fair game for Telltale. All three Leisure Suit Larry games from the past 3 years have been made by smaller third party companies. If Telltale ever gets the lsl license, I have no doubts that they can do justice

That was actually something I was wondering about for some time.
    Some old Sierra licenses are good licenses, but most of those can put the player in a position in which the controlled character can die (permanently, but with a quick "try again" function) or feature deaths of main or secondary characters (Take for example Phantasmagoria)
    Would TT make such kind of games, or is the imperative to follow LA's edict of making deaths taboo too strong?

BTW, Quoting S&M 203's tag line, I would love to see more "edgy and subversive" games too.
  • edited February 2008
    It would be pretty funny if TT announced they were making a text based adventure game...in 3d! :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    We did one of those already!
  • edited February 2008
    I don't know whats more shocking the game announcements or that emily likes Brussel sprouts.. I think a family guy adventure game would be great! I hope one of these new licenses is a comedy
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    That was actually something I was wondering about for some time.
    Some old Sierra licenses are good licenses, but most of those can put the player in a position in which the controlled character can die (permanently, but with a quick "try again" function) or feature deaths of main or secondary characters (Take for example Phantasmagoria)
    Would TT make such kind of games, or is the imperative to follow LA's edict of making deaths taboo too strong?

BTW, Quoting S&M 203's tag line, I would love to see more "edgy and subversive" games too.

True. Fourtantely, Sierra did away with the deaths in LSL ever since the PC version of Love for Sail. Since then, there are no deaths in LSL. However, I think that is the only lsl game that doesn't have deaths,
  • edited February 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    What's with the triple post?

I like posting. LOL
  • edited February 2008
    Because the guy who was the head of Lucasarts gaming division resigned, so it would be possible that the new person in charged would be less bias towards Star Wars and more open to in making games that doesn't involve light sabers.

If Lucasarts wanted to make an adventure game, they'd do it themselves though.
  • edited February 2008
    If this should turn out to be DOTT and Full Throttle...I will pee my pants.
  • edited February 2008
    I think the fact that the executive producer for one of the games is justin chin and it will be multi-platform.. it might be an action/adventure game
  • edited February 2008
    An episodic season based on The Simpsons would be awesome. First, I think The Simpsons would make great adventure games (they've been really unlucky with all the action games based on the series, which just don't work that well). Second, lots of Simpsons fans would buy them, even if they're not point'n'click veterans. That means more money to TTG!
  • edited February 2008
    I really hope the licenses aren't from huge franchises. They get enough exposure.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    *cough*oneofthemisforwiiware*cough*
  • edited February 2008
    We really like working with licensed properties for various reasons (the built-in audience and brand recognition that comes with them being some), and I think we'll continue to do licensed games for the foreseeable future.

In that case, I have it on good authority that the world's Tex Murphy fans would love to see a revival! :D
  • edited February 2008
    *cough*oneofthemisforwiiware*cough*
    Wired wrote:
    Today's news brings the first details on U.S. game titles for WiiWare. As I'd hoped, Nintendo is bringing in indie developers from right here in America. Most notably, Sam & Max creators Telltale Games will be producing a new episodic game series for the service.

Most notably! Congrats. :)

Hey, can you at least give a yes/no/probably answer to this question:
    Will we know what either of the new titles are by the end of March?

The shroud of no information is killing me. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.