The Walking Dead - Telltale build AVAILABLE NOW

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
Our build of the game is available NOW. You can download it by clicking the joystick icon in the upper right, and then selecting the download link for either PC or Mac.

We know we took a bit longer than expected to get this build to you, and we apologize for that.

Enjoy the game!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    when will the build for the xbox be ready
  • edited April 2012
    No problem Mike. Glad you guys finally got it up.
  • edited April 2012
    bo0berry wrote: »
    when will the build for the xbox be ready

Don't have an exact time, but the XBLA version will hit tomorrow for sure.
  • edited April 2012
    thnx
  • edited April 2012
    Though it probably took a lot longer than it should have, that's great news. Did you guys have to buy parts and build a new server? :-)

A couple serious questions though Mike:

1. For those who received Steam keys during the debacle, will these be revoked now that the game is available to directly download from Telltale? If not, can we continue using this key/ Steam installation to download/play future episodes?

2. Particularly important if the keys are being revoked, how do we transfer our save game(s) from the Steam version to the Telltale version. A FAQ/Sticky would definitely be helpful.

Great games and great support interaction throughout this whole mess, but Telltale really needs to insure that this doesn't happen (at least to this magnitude) again.
  • edited April 2012
    Nice to hear downloading now
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks, guys!
  • edited April 2012
    1. For those who received Steam keys during the debacle, will these be revoked now that the game is available to directly download from Telltale? If not, can we continue using this key/ Steam installation to download/play future episodes?

They haven't taken mine away yet, but who knows what will happen. I HIGHLY doubt it though. They did this exact same thing two years ago with The Devil's Playhouse, and they didn't take those away.
    2. Particularly important if the keys are being revoked, how do we transfer our save game(s) from the Steam version to the Telltale version. A FAQ/Sticky would definitely be helpful.

The saves for The Walking Dead are stored in the My Documents folder, just like every other Telltale release, and are read from the My Documents folder.
  • edited April 2012
    Yay! Thanks, Mike.
  • edited April 2012
    The Steam keys are definitely not being revoked, no. We know we dropped the ball with this a bit, so the Steam keys were a gift for anybody who pre-ordered. The Steam keys do unlock the entire season.

If you install our build of the game while the Steam version is currently installed, it will note that the game is installed and ask if you want to keep your current settings and saves.
  • edited April 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    The Steam keys are definitely not being revoked, no. We know we dropped the ball with this a bit, so the Steam keys were a gift for anybody who pre-ordered. The Steam keys do unlock the entire season.

If you install our build of the game while the Steam version is currently installed, it will note that the game is installed and ask if you want to keep your current settings and saves.
    I noticed that about keeping the saves, but those saves are not accessible from the TTG version or vice-versa. It also does not recognize the previous game settings from Steam (I had to correct my resolution).
  • edited April 2012
    I noticed that about keeping the saves, but those saves are not accessible from the TTG version or vice-versa. It also does not recognize the previous game settings from Steam (I had to correct my resolution).

Are you sure you chose to keep the settings during installation? The game should only be reading from a single folder under My Documents for the saves and preferences, regardless. The "cross-talk" between the two versions has worked for everybody here.
  • edited April 2012
    I have now downloaded this and it's still not working for me. This is getting really annoying! Have been trying this since yesterday morning GMT and still nothing. Listed my errors on the forum - nothing. Posted about a refund - nothing. Mailed about a refund - nothing. Now trying the Telltale build, not working -
    Here's the error message:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Application Version: 2012.4.23.11302
    Application Timestamp: 4f95f664
    Fault Module Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2012.4.23.11302
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4f95f664
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 003e8913
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 6153
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Please can somone/anyone contact me about this. What patience I have left is running out......................
  • edited April 2012
    Are you sure you chose to keep the settings during installation? The game should only be reading from a single folder under My Documents for the saves and preferences, regardless. The "cross-talk" between the two versions has worked for everybody here.
    Absolutely sure :) I even looked afterwards to make sure the folders and files were still there, which they are.
  • edited April 2012
    Absolutely sure :) I even looked afterwards to make sure the folders and files were still there, which they are.

What happens if you right-click the game's .exe and then click Run As Administrator?
  • edited April 2012
    The saves for The Walking Dead are stored in the My Documents folder, just like every other Telltale release, and are read from the My Documents folder.

I figured it was this or similar. I'm not at home right now so I couldn't check for myself. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't "other pieces" I might have missed in doing the transfer. From Mikes response, it sounds like this won't be an issue one way or the other.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear... I'll just keep playing the Steam version since like 90% of my games are purchased/played that way anyway.

On a side note, I think that's the fastest "official" response I've ever received to a gaming related inquiry. I've been playing games for nearly 30 years, so that covers quite a number of games and game companies.

Great job and Thanks again.
  • edited April 2012
    What happens if you right-click the game's .exe and then click Run As Administrator?
    Tried it and it still does not see the Steam saves.

Being able to access the Steam saves from the TTG version is not really important to me as I will just play through again in my "real" version ;) Was just something I noticed and thought I would mention.

Don't misunderstand, I don't mind helping out at all, and will continue to do so :)
  • edited April 2012
    Mike, here is something that may or may not be of importance. I just looked into my Telltale Games folder. Along with my The Walking Dead folder (that holds my Steam version info) there is a folder named GameData that includes another SyncFs folder and prefs.prop file but no saves.

Additional info: Seems each version saves to the same folder but overwrites the other versions saves. I just had my TTG version make a save. It overwrote save_4.save in the The Walking Dead folder (this had already been used by my Steam version)
  • edited April 2012
    Yes! I can finally download it! Never received the steam key though, even though I pre-ordered the game.
  • edited April 2012
    Yay. Now is the fun part of watching an installation bar.

Oh well, Minecraft can have some pretty tense moments too.:p
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for all the hard work you guys went through!
  • edited April 2012

How do I transfer the save files from Steam (for Mac) to the TT build (for Mac)?
  • edited April 2012
    Nice! Downloading now. It did take a while to get this build but shit happens. Going to see if it will transfer my save. Looking forward to the next episode.

BTW - When will the winner(s) be chosen and announced for the contest?
  • edited April 2012
    Please some kind of news for an ipad release? I'm dying to play. Do you guys have an eta for ipad 2
  • edited April 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with the stuttery graphics and the laggy mouse controls on the Steam version but this version downloaded from the Telltale website feels like a whole new game - allows you to right-click The Walking Dead icon on the desktop, 'run with graphics processor', select High-performance NVIDIA processor. BOOM! There's probably a way of getting the Steam one to work with my NVIDIA 550, too, but it had been running on the integrated Intel Optima graphics (EDIT: I mean Intel HD graphics - Dell L702X) - no wonder it sucked! This looks like an awesome story arc. Great game!
  • edited April 2012
    Huh...I can confirm that the Telltale build isn't recognizing my saves from Steam. I chose to keep them during install as well. Running Win7(32bit).
  • edited April 2012
    I have not been able to download the MAC version after running the Steam version. Nothing will download at all.
  • edited April 2012
    That's great news it is available through the Telltale Games site now and that the Steam keys are for the complete season as well. The first episode was so good that I will probably get it on the XBox 360 as well to play on the big screen.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks TT. Hope you all have a good weekend!
  • edited April 2012
    My save file from steam transferred over to the telltale version without any issues. All I did was click yes to should it move the files over and than I opened the telltale version and the save file was there.
  • edited April 2012
    Hmm, well I went ahead and installed the Telltale version but then uninstalled the Steam version before launching the Telltale build. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno. The save files are there but not being recognized.
  • edited April 2012
    tobar wrote: »
    Hmm, well I went ahead and installed the Telltale version but then uninstalled the Steam version before launching the Telltale build. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno. The save files are there but not being recognized.

That must be it. I left the steam version installed and still have it installed on my computer but am using the telltale version now. The save I had for steam works perfectly fine with the telltale version so my guess is since you uninstalled the steam version it cannot recognize the save for it.
  • edited April 2012
    tobar wrote: »
    Huh...I can confirm that the Telltale build isn't recognizing my saves from Steam. I chose to keep them during install as well. Running Win7(32bit).

Doesn't recognize the saved game for Steam on MAC either. Though it plays so much better. Not a huge deal seeing how I didn't make it to far.
  • edited April 2012
    Must've gotten my order in right before the 11 am deadline. Finished Episode 1 and then noticed a Steam code in my inbox. Is it ok if I give it away?
  • edited April 2012
    Siresly wrote: »
    Must've gotten my order in right before the 11 am deadline. Finished Episode 1 and then noticed a Steam code in my inbox. Is it ok if I give it away?

It's yours to do whatever you'd like with.
  • edited April 2012
    thanks! allready love the game :)
  • edited April 2012

I'm really glad to see you've sorted out your technical difficulties.

I pre-ordered on the 19th of last month and haven't seen a Steam key come through. Should I still be expecting one?

I also sent an earnest email to the support address that I hope gets taken to heart. I really love the work that you guys do, but I've seen shadows of this sort of debacle in some previous releases and I worry that there are underlying issues that aren't being addressed.

I can't recall who it was, but somebody in the now closed thread about the game not being out suggested that more/better community management would help alleviate stress at both ends. I think this person is right.
  • edited April 2012
    what is the difference between telltalegames and the Steam game?
  • edited April 2012
    what is the difference between telltalegames and the Steam game?
  • edited April 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for getting it back on track.
This discussion has been closed.