stunning HiRez Monkey Island pics from Blur Studio

Remember that great trailer Blur did before MI:SE2 was released.. here are pictures of the modelsheets they used, Hirez and in great detail, and size.. amazing.... I love this stuff... I wish there would have been more characters in that trailer.

trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bkh65c9EqY

Preview..
MI2_Guybrush_Modelsheet.jpg
Huge
http://www.solisworks.com/images/B_MI2_Guybrush.jpg

Preview
MI2_Lechuck_Modelsheet.jpg
huge
http://www.solisworks.com/images/B_MI2_Lechuck.jpg

monkey+Island02.jpg

Larger.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qkr4TD0W9M8/TXpIoQifD8I/AAAAAAAAAEs/Uh8WGoJO9JQ/s1600/monkey+Island02.jpg

Comments

• SydSyd
    edited April 2012
    Somehow I've managed to stay unaware of that trailer until now. I looked it up, and loved it! How have I not seen this before?

Thanks for posting those pics, as well as unwittingly making me aware of such a great trailer.
  • edited April 2012
    I added the trailer to my original post in case others have never seen it... I wish Blur would make a MI animated movie like that... I would pay good money to see that...
  • edited April 2012
    Awesome, I haven't seen these big renderings before. VERY nice!
  • edited April 2012
    Hey, wow! Funny, I watched that trailer again just yesterday and thought how awesome it must have been if the whole game looked like this..
  • edited April 2012
    Awesome, I haven't seen these big renderings before. VERY nice!

I hadn't either.. I saw them while doing an image search on google and stumbled on the blog of the artist responsible for it...

I had not previously noticed some of the details before.. Like the Skull on the back of Guybrush's coat.. and I like that you can actually see the velvety texture of the coat.
  • edited April 2012
    I never noticed that thats a dead bird in lechucks hat before, i knew there were feathers, just not the whole bird :P
  • SydSyd
    edited April 2012
    I never noticed that thats a dead bird in lechucks hat before, i knew there were feathers, just not the whole bird :P

Look closely at the feathery bit of LeChuck's hat on the Monkey Island 2 boxart, and you can see that it's a dead crow.

Also, I would do terrible, terrible things for a Monkey Island movie animated like that trailer.
  • edited April 2012
    Its true it was on the original box art.... BUT many people who played that game probably had the Monkey Mania disc packed with other Lucasarts adventure games.. on that disc the CDs hole made it difficult to see what it was supposed to be.. and it didn't come with the box..

I embarrassingly had been quite familiar with the box art but had not noticed the croaked crow until only a few years ago when doing some fan art.. I am happy to say I included the crow..
    chucklesn.png

But do not always in my fan art.
    lechuckchanges.jpg

Yeah that's right I just plugged my own art... LOL
  • edited April 2012
    great fanart but you forgot Escape Lechuck
  • edited April 2012
    great fanart but you forgot Escape Lechuck

He just switched between his Secret/Revenge/Curse forms in Escape iirc.
  • edited April 2012
    i ment his human form in it
  • edited April 2012
    I actually do have a human form one.... On my DA page.
  • edited April 2012
    Woooow... they are amazing
    unfortunately the big links are broken.
    you have high resolution pictures to share?
  • edited April 2012
    I did save them on my PC ... Anyone know a place to host them that doesn't resize? .. I'm at work right now... Though.
  • edited April 2012
    When I first saw that trailer, I thought to myself that it'd be incredibly awesome to have a Monkey Island game (Monkey Island 2 especially) with 3D graphics of that quality (they're pretty renderable in real-time, being cartoony and all that). But, sadly, I doubt that this will ever happen...
  • edited April 2012
    I'd prefer animated MI-movies in that style.
  • edited April 2012
    That would be awesome too :)
  • edited April 2012
    I'd prefer animated MI-movies in that style.

deserved to be said again.

The thing is if they made a movie like that with the expected MI humor.. I really think it would be a big hit, I think it would appeal to non-gamers who would probably NEVER know it was based on a 20 year old PC game... Lucasfilm already has an animation dept.. WHY they have not thought to make this a movie I will never understand.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2012
    There was a Monkey Island movie in production once. But it was cancelled. Since this is Lucasfilm we're talking about, I'm sure it was because of current marketplace realities. :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2012
    Lucasfilm doesn't make much sense for years, so having LucasArts and LucasAnimation as their departments doesn't mean shit, sadly.

It would be so easy, since the stories are already in place, and would "just" have to be adapted into screenplays (which is probably much easier than coming up with something new). Fans would love it, newcomers couldn't NOT like it... it's sure cash and would make many people happy. But obviously neither money nor success are important to Lucasfilm, which shows in so many of their lazy-ass projects.
  • edited April 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I did save them on my PC ... Anyone know a place to host them that doesn't resize? .. I'm at work right now... Though.

I don't know an image sharing website for that, let alone a specific one... mostly because they're all filtered here.

Though, You could use Dropbox and put it in your public folder... Which allows you too link it for everyone to download.
  • edited April 2012
    It would be so easy, since the stories are already in place, and would "just" have to be adapted into screenplays (which is probably much easier than coming up with something new).

It's hard. Adaptations are not easier than coming up with something new, they're just different, so to speak. I would say that one of the biggest paradoxes of an adaptation is that you have to change something to make it work in the new medium. And this something varies from 'not much' to 'a lot'. Which leads to problems with fans who go on a 'They changed it now it sucks' routine (granted, there are times when changes ARE kind of bad). For example, How to Train Your Dragon is an awesome movie and is an adaptation, but during the course of adapting it like 90% of the original book has been changed (and it started out as a close-to-the-source kind of adaptation).

A few days ago, I was actually thinking about BttF:The Game-to-animated-movie adaptation and what it would look like. One would think that it'd be easy, BttF:The Game being more of a movie than a game anyway... hell no.
  • edited April 2012
    I want to see those...badly. :-)
  • edited April 2012
    I'm getting 404s when I try to load the first two full size images. Can someone re-upload them?
  • edited April 2012
    please i want to see these images in high quality.
    Irishmile, you could send them by email, pleeaaaseeee!!
  • edited April 2012
    EDIT: Redundancy is no one's friend.
  • edited April 2012
    Oh come on, please...
  • edited April 2012
    i've tried to find the trailer you guys mentioned , but couldn't have found , would u give me a link please.
  • edited April 2012
    draedan wrote: »
    i've tried to find the trailer you guys mentioned , but couldn't have found , would u give me a link please.

The link to the trailer is in the first post. ;)
  • edited April 2012
    http://solisworks.blogspot.com/2011/02/monkey-island.html

found this while googling "Blur Studio" with "Monkey Island".
    Blast, LeChuck's model pic is too dark.

Very cool, though :D
  • edited May 2012
    Yay! Thanks a lot.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.