TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

123457»

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I miss everything that left here.

Sigh. In summary, King's Quest is fucking dead for now, and maybe someday someone will resume it's zombie corpse. Until then, there's a bunch of other great games to play.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    King's Quest will never die.

And I think a new King's Quest game will come sooner than some of you think.
  • edited February 2013
    MtnPeak wrote: »
    King's Quest will never die.

And I think a new King's Quest game will come sooner than some of you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM
  • edited February 2013
    Guys, you ARE kind of making it seem like you WANT KQ to stay dead, TT or not. Just the vibe I get from some. Like you're totally over it and would prefer it stay dead--even if a better company than TT was getting a try at it.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah, in some ways - I prefer it to stay dead. Some things are just meant to end.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    It will never be good ever again even if it does get a new game. I'd rather it stay dead. Yes, I said it. (no, Anakin, that has nothing to do with the fact that I worked on Sierra remakes and am "jealous" or "jaded") Look at Sonic the Hedgehog. That franchise has yet to get a game that even comes remotely close to the first four games. It's just one of those things that's just not possible unless they've got the same people (not just designers, but art directors, programmers, writers, genre and gameplay style, etc) working the same magic they did 20 years ago. An even that is hit and miss sometimes.

Yes, I am passed it. Let's just do new things (that are as good or better, please).
  • edited February 2013
    Hey I actually like the first two Sonic Adventures games... Even if they are very different than the 2-d games...
  • edited February 2013
    I disagree. I think KQ most certainly CAN come back, possibly even better than before. I will be to happy to see this. There are plenty of talented designers out there who can make it happen. There remains interest in the KQ brand, and, though it may not be a huge #1 blockbuster, a new KQ game can be a commercial success. Of all the classic adventure game series, King's Quest does remain one of the best known names.

You guys make it seem like the act of wanting a new KQ prevents one from playing and trying new games. Guess what, we can multi-task; we can advocate for a new KQ game while playing and trying out other games at the same time, believe it or not!

KQ games were always a lot of fun, and I am confident that the right development team can recapture that spirit of the original games.

What you naysayers should be asking yourselves is why you care that other people are hoping for a KQ comeback. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I have seen certain posters groan wearily when new KQ-related discussions are started in an, um, KQ discussion forum. It is a bit annoying to read comments expressing sentiments to the effect of "who cares?" and "I'm over it" as people are discussing the series. Yes, I understand that some, for a number of reasons, would rather no new KQ games be made, but it doesn't mean you have to always be a wet blanket on the discussions. Though, if that's the role you want to play, then be a wet blanket to your heart's content.

Three years ago who would have guessed that we'd be seeing a new LSL, a new Gabriel Knight, a new QFG-like game, possibly a new PQ-like game, etc. all within the span of a few years. Given the sustained interest in such games, I'd say the chances of there also being a new KQ (Sierra's flagship series), at some point, are pretty good. If the interest is there, the legal stuff will work itself out.
  • edited February 2013
    MtnPeak wrote: »
    i disagree. I think kq most certainly can come back, possibly even better than before. I will be to happy to see this. There are plenty of talented designers out there who can make it happen. There remains interest in the kq brand, and, though it may not be a huge #1 blockbuster, a new kq game can be a commercial success. Of all the classic adventure game series, king's quest does remain one of the best known names.

You guys make it seem like the act of wanting a new kq prevents one from playing and trying new games. Guess what, we can multi-task; we can advocate for a new kq game while playing and trying out other games at the same time, believe it or not!

Kq games were always a lot of fun, and i am confident that the right development team can recapture that spirit of the original games.

What you naysayers should be asking yourselves is why you care that other people are hoping for a kq comeback. Maybe i'm misinterpreting, but i have seen certain posters groan wearily when new kq-related discussions are started in an, um, kq discussion forum. It is a bit annoying to read comments expressing sentiments to the effect of "who cares?" and "i'm over it" as people are discussing the series. Yes, i understand that some, for a number of reasons, would rather no new kq games be made, but it doesn't mean you have to always be a wet blanket on the discussions. Though, if that's the role you want to play, then be a wet blanket to your heart's content.

Three years ago who would have guessed that we'd be seeing a new lsl, a new gabriel knight, a new qfg-like game, possibly a new pq-like game, etc. All within the span of a few years. Given the sustained interest in such games, i'd say the chances of there also being a new kq (sierra's flagship series), at some point, are pretty good. If the interest is there, the legal stuff will work itself out.

+1000
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah, in some ways - I prefer it to stay dead. Some things are just meant to end.

Bt

KQ wasn't "meant" to end, though. The series just got screwed over by business people who felt the adventure genre was dead, and it got screwed over because the company who made KQ got screwed over. There are still plenty more stories that can be told, and with the adventure genre in a revival, I don't see why one shouldn't want another KQ game. Thinking it can never be as good again is just letting nostalgia blind you....Even your own project, KOS, looked KQ quality. All it takes is imagination, effort and some love and a KQ5 or KQ6 quality KQ game can be made.
  • edited February 2013
    Thinking it can never be as good again is just letting nostalgia blind you....Even your own project, KOS, looked KQ quality. All it takes is imagination, effort and some love and a KQ5 or KQ6 quality KQ game can be made.

Well said.
  • edited February 2013
    Would you two like a moment alone?
  • edited February 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Hey I actually like the first two Sonic Adventures games... Even if they are very different than the 2-d games...

Yes, they are decent. The second one less so. Everything after that is trash, though. Still not as good as the first four.

I understand you guys really like King's Quest. But that doesn't mean there's going to be another good one. You just can't say that. Odds are that more than likely it'll be generic and stale. That's usually the way resurrecting an old franchise without rebooting it goes. And I'm just not interested in a reboot. Is it guaranteed? No, but it's likely. And I'm not willing to believe against all hope that it'll be the most amazing thing ever either. I've been down that road before, just wanting to like things just to support the franchise and making myself appreciate it. It's too much work. I've learned that it's better to just not get my hopes up and whatever happens happens. I'm over it.
  • edited February 2013
    We're not getting a new LSL yet. We're getting a remake. We're not getting a new Gabriel Knight - we're getting Moebius. To be honest, I'm looking forward to new franchises rather than old ones rehashed. Again, I state - some things were meant to die. King's Quest may have suffered at the hands of bad management, but it died, nonetheless - and it should probably stay that way. If it had "lived", we'd have problem gotten games worse than Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    We're not getting a new LSL yet. We're getting a remake. We're not getting a new Gabriel Knight - we're getting Moebius. To be honest, I'm looking forward to new franchises rather than old ones rehashed. Again, I state - some things were meant to die. King's Quest may have suffered at the hands of bad management, but it died, nonetheless - and it should probably stay that way. If it had "lived", we'd have problem gotten games worse than Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

Bt

Except it really wasn't meant to die, though. The series never truly had a proper end. And given the chance, people can make KQ stories worthy of the original games. Your KOS project and Akril's stories are proof that. Akril took her stories all the way up to KQXI or XII, and those stories were damn good--all at least on par with KQ5. And that's just ONE person using their imagination.

Like I said, all you need is someone with talent and imagination and a love of the series and you could have a game on par with at least KQ5. If it had lived under the Zombie Sierra of post 1999, in the absolute nadir of Adventure Games, you're probably right as to what it would've been.

But Zombie Sierra is gone and Adventure Games are in a revival, they're not anywhere near the stagnate state they were in from around '99 to '08 or so--enough of a revival that Activision re-released many of the old games and did license KQ to TT.

I just think people shouldn't give up on KQ yet. Like I said, there's still many stories that can be told and many adventures yet to be had. You guys sound worn out because it's been so long and because you've been burned in the past...Well, it's been just as long for me and I've been burned with false hope before, but that hasn't led me to damn the series.
  • edited February 2013
    I had Nintendo, and Mario games. I played Sonic at friends and relatives houses. I never really got into it like I did with the mario games. The mario games have always always been pretty consistent at offering something fun and enjoyable with each new offering. The challenge was generally consistent.

I've almost always been happy with the Zelda series too. It has imo done a good job of staying fresh. But keeping things similar enough that I don't have to relearn the series. Same with Metroid...

Sonic, I just never really got into. There was a different difficulty margin, and I suppose I never really fully understood the sega control scheme. I also hated that to really win the game you had to find every emerald... You only had limited continues, IIRC. The challenge seemed to jump between very easy, to parts that were tediously hard (pulled you out of the speed and put you into normal platforming). They looked impressive though, the speedy sections I mean. There wasn't the kinda super power options Mario games to make things easier, and balance things.

Keep in mind my experience with sonic is generally limited to the first two games... and the stupidly ridiculous difficult sega gamegear ones...

I suppose that's why I liked the sonic adventure games much better than anything before it. It was designed such that you had various characters with strengths and weaknesses that could balance out the difficulty of a level. You could play through levels multiple times with various characters to find secrets. Plus saving and loading worked out well. I could come back at any time, and continue at any time. The mission and story objectives were way more clear.
  • edited February 2013
    Eh, sometimes things don't "get a good wrap up". That's life. There's a million movies out there that warranted sequels, but never got them. That's life.

I'm glad King's Quest went out and didn't degenerate into something horrible. There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere, you just want the King's Quest brand-name on them. That's lame branding love, not any kind of good story or game love.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere

Well techinically stories of "King Graham" and other members of the Royal Family, or within the setting of Daventry cannot occur in other franchises, because that would be copyright infringement ;). Unless Activision wanted to start some kinda spinoff series...
  • edited February 2013
    Eh, sometimes things don't "get a good wrap up". That's life. There's a million movies out there that warranted sequels, but never got them. That's life.

I'm glad King's Quest went out and didn't degenerate into something horrible. There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere, you just want the King's Quest brand-name on them. That's lame branding love, not any kind of good story or game love
    Bt

Again, the cynicism...Come on man.

In "other games"? The stories I speak of are KQ fan stories, many of which hit all the right notes and would translate to great KQ games. They're not just generic stories that could be applied to any game. It's not about name branding love.

Again, as I asked you before, if you're so against a new KQ game, so over it totally, why stick around here just to bug people who aren't?
  • edited February 2013
    There's a ton more awesome tv shows that got canceled without a proper ending.
    Again, as I asked you before, if you're so against a new KQ game, so over it totally, why stick around here just to bug people who aren't?

Again, stop with this stupid question.
  • edited February 2013
    There's a ton more awesome tv shows that got canceled without a proper ending.

Again, stop with this stupid question.

Sometimes people don't just simply accept the shit ending, to be blunt. And just because new franchises are not KQ doesn't mean they'll be anywhere as good as KQ was. Nor will I likely come to love any of them as much as I came to love KQ over the course of that series.

It's really not a stupid question. You guys don't want a new KQ game, ever. You seem to look down on discussion of the old games at this point. You're "over" KQ. Why hang around?

That'd be like me saying I'm totally "over" my ex girlfriend while I'm standing outside her house every day and calling her every night, or calling her new boyfriend and telling him how shitty his relationship with her is going to be.
  • edited February 2013
    KQ games are the very definition of generic stories. It's absolutely branding love. 100%. You just want to see something with the name "King's Quest" on it, and you're so ravenous for that silly name, right now - you'd take anything that came along with that label on it, diluting the pool. Restraint is the key word here - I do not wish for some lumbering, watered-down IP name applied upon a shitty game. Which I find a likely scenario. So, yes, I wish the series would stay dormant. My cynicism is not unfounded here - it's born out of respect for something.

Why stick around? Because I love King's Quest games, and they're a part of my history. I'm old enough to also know that some things should stay dead, lest they become some demon-infested version of their former self. This is why I stick around - and again, your question is tiresome.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    Good tv shows that end prematurely seem to get comic or novel revivals now adays... Oddly enough. Sometimes they get video game revivals...
  • edited February 2013
    KQ games are the very definition of generic stories. It's absolutely branding love. 100%. You just want to see something with the name "King's Quest" on it, and you're so ravenous for that silly name, right now - you'd take anything that came along with that label on it, diluting the pool. Restraint is the key word here - I do not wish for some lumbering, watered-down IP name applied upon a shitty game. Which I find a likely scenario. So, yes, I wish the series would stay dormant. My cynicism is not unfounded here - it's born out of respect for something.

Why stick around? Because I love King's Quest games, and they're a part of my history. I'm old enough to also know that some things should stay dead, lest they become some demon-infested version of their former self. This is why I stick around - and again, your question is tiresome.
    Bt

If KQ games are the very definition of generic stories, than "anything" could have something with the KQ label on it and be a KQ game in a true sense. Kind of a stupid point you made there. And the stories I've spoken of supporting--Akril's--are far from branding love, actually. I wouldn't take ANYTHING that came along with the name. I know what a KQ is, should and shouldn't be. We've had six great games and two games which were of either mixed or lesser quality depending on your POV.

The last two only were subpar because they were experiments, designed to meet changing game demographics and make the shareholders money. If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s. But that was a different time, and the adventure genre is in a stronger position than it was then.

While I have my own reservations about new games, I don't actively hope the series stays dead because a shitty entry might come along or try to discourage those who do want another entry in the series. I have respect for the franchise, but I'm not of the 'We have to destroy this village to save it' mindset.

Jaded cynicism and always thinking the worst will happen colors so many members of your generation, and I'll never understand why.
  • edited February 2013
    Dude. We don't have to destroy the village. The village is GONE, and has been for years! No need to build a New, different village and call it the same thing!

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    Dude. We don't have to destroy the village. The village is GONE, and has been for years! No need to build a New, different village and call it the same thing!

Bt

The ruins still stand, albeit they're decaying and are covered in moss, and can be rebuilt in good hands, but you just want to take a wrecking ball to the site to ensure that all that's left is rubble under dirt.
  • edited February 2013
    We've had six great games and two games which were of either mixed or lesser quality depending on your POV.

Strong words right there...
    The last two only were subpar because they were experiments, designed to meet changing game demographics and make the shareholders money. If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s.

More strong words, as they really didn't want to keep making the same type of adventure game.
    But that was a different time, and the adventure genre is in a stronger position than it was then.

...depending on your POV.
    While I have my own reservations about new games, I don't actively hope the series stays dead because a shitty entry might come along or try to discourage those who do want another entry in the series.

Exchange "might" with "will probably" and you'll be close to the truth, statistically. But go ahead and want a sequel! Nothing is stopping you! And if one comes out, go right ahead and try to enjoy it. If you do, awesome! If you don't, don't say we didn't warn you.
    I have respect for the franchise, but I'm not of the 'We have to destroy this village to save it' mindset.

What about the "we should probably leave these graves alone rather than resurrect their rotting forgotten corpses". I'm not saying KQ is a terrible series nowadays (though most people would), I just don't want the same old thing too much.
    Jaded cynicism and always thinking the worst will happen colors so many members of your generation, and I'll quite understand why.

Because we're old enough to realize that sometimes the same magic will just never come back. It's part nostalgia (a big slice of it, actually), part change of the times, part the same people who worked on it, part level of technology advancement....there's too many factors to get all right again. Just because it says King's Quest does not mean it's any good. What WE liked about King's Quest were these very specific formulas in all of these areas that worked together to cause lightning....lightning that probably won't strike the same way in the same level of vibrancy and excellence again.

But like I said, go ahead and want your new King's Quest.
    The ruins still stand, albeit they're decaying and are covered in moss, and can be rebuilt in good hands, but you just want to take a wrecking ball to the site to ensure that all that's left is rubble under dirt.

Hahaha. Taking a wrecking ball to the site would be like trying to erase the original series from existence and pretend they never happened. No, we respect the ruins and want to leave them standing as a testament to their longevity. Rebuilding it isn't going to make it the same.
  • edited February 2013
    If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s.

While many purists might have liked that... It probably would have killed the series anyways... As it would have probably driven people away, and had poor sales... Series that stay too stagnant and do not change at all, tend to die harder...

If a game fails to bring back the money that it cost to make the game in the first place, no company in their right mind will attempt to stick to the same dead end path... They ultimately will end up trying something different... Sometimes that is taking the franchise in a new genre direction, or in a new tone, or age rating even, other times it might mean a reboot...

That tends to anger purists, but sometimes does help bring in a new audience...

BTW, keep in mind that most critics hated KQ7, and wanted the series to end on KQ6... There arguement was that KQ7 was too much of the same thing... It was not much of a change from previous games... It offered nothing new... The series as a whole had 'stagnated'... They thought KQ7 was beating a dead horse...
  • edited February 2013
    There's no ruins! There's memories and tributes set up at graves. That's it. I ain't interested in necromancy.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    Haha we both went in different directions with that metaphor...

Also, here's a fair observation. You're coming in here and asking these questions to KQ fans and trying to hold conversations....and we're the only ones here to reply, it seems. If there were more people who agreed with either of us they'd be here sharing their opinions too. I think the whole point on resurrecting King's Quest is moot based on that alone. If we were to "leave you" here to discuss things without "bugging" you, you'd be here all by yourselves. This forum would be dead. Which means that it is dead, because this isn't worthwhile conversation anyway.

Bottom line, you're stuck with us as we're the only ones who care one way or the other to post. At least we care. That's why we're here.

And yet, besides, I'll be gone once the new website/boards hit anyway.
  • edited February 2013
    You probably scared other people away, that might be interested in the Telltale revival...

I do notice that people tend to start bashing any newbies that join to discuss what they like about KQ, and would like to see in the 'new game'... or simply people who might have a casual interest and want to know what the new "telltale game" is about.

Seriously some of you have turned this forum and King's Quest in general into a 'good ol boys' club, and only a few can muster merit to be be allowed into its hallowed halls. If they don't give up at first sight, and try to enter, they get trounced upon until they leave or become someone's whipping boy.
  • edited February 2013
    Bottom line, you're stuck with us as we're the only ones who care one way or the other to post. At least we care. That's why we're here.

And yet, besides, I'll be gone once the new website/boards hit anyway.

Your only care here seems to be expressing hope that another KQ game is never made, and trying to dissuade anyone else who wants one, and telling them why they're wrong to want one.

Don't you guys have the forums of those promising new franchises and games to haunt instead? Wouldn't it be a more productive use of your time to hang around those places rather than a forum about a series you're "over"?

Why not leave the optimistic KQ fans and those who want a new KQ game to themselves, even if it means that this forum would be dead?
  • edited February 2013
    Their worst nightmare is that Telltale makes a successful game, and it draws in a new generation and type of KQ fans. But those fans are fans of something different than old games... It is those new fans that control the direction of KQ for generations to come...

Kinda like old Star Trek vs. New Star Trek... Stodgy purists tend to hate the new Trek since it gave up much of what old Star Trek was like, and turned it on its head... It's eye candy, action star warsy now, simplified stories...
  • edited February 2013
    BAHahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahaha!

This thread. Anakin, you kill me.
  • edited February 2013
    Exactly, would you really want that? Depends on how good it is, I suppose. I may even be behind it if it's good enough. But again, it's just not my focus or my one single hope. And that's all I'm trying to personally do here. Just trying to help you not get your hopes up. But if that's what you want go nuts. I'm just interested in conversation and the debate really. I like talking about it because the philosophies and concepts behind the whole ordeal are stimulating, at least to me. They make you realize things you never thought of before. You have a point of view and so do I. I'm just trying to share mine and you yours. Honestly, I apologize if I sound overbearing, but then don't pretend that you don't either. You're just as passionate about your point of view as I am mine. The only one here who probably isn't is Baggins who is maddeningly neutral about everything despite the size of his endless posts here about Sierra trivia lol.

Anyway, I think the real reason there is nobody here is because there has been no news to talk about. If there were people would be here talking about it. Telltale fans love them some juicy tidbits about the next game from their favourite developer!
  • edited February 2013
    Scare away anyone? I think no news for two years did that. There has been nary a whisper for almost two years. We did not do that. You sycophants hanging on to not even a thread is more scary.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    2 years since game announcement and about 9 months since the last announcement that they had just started working on the game.

Nothing tangible since then.
  • edited February 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    2 years since game announcement and about 9 months since the last announcement that they had just started working on the game.

Nothing tangible since then.

When did they ever announce that it was even being worked on? You mean the announcement that Dave Grossman was thinking about putting a team together?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    This thread's run it's course, so I'm closing it (and cleaning some of the personal insults out of the topic). There's not much more to be said on either side.

That said, please act civil to each other, and keep the personal insults out of the forum. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.