The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• Anyone who tries to procreate will get sent to a slave camp where they will be forced to carry out heavy labour with 2 hours of sleep. Don’t worry, I have it all figured out

Well that won't work. If you want to take out all the kids, you gotta destroy who creates those little brats in the first place. Just as an

• So today's my birthday. Sweet 16, blah blah blah. Due to the circumstances, I had to spend the whole day alone at home and, oddly enough, I don't care. Watching Interstellar and setting your own one man disco party will always be better than hanging out with my classmates.

• Happy birthday dude

So today's my birthday. Sweet 16, blah blah blah. Due to the circumstances, I had to spend the whole day alone at home and, oddly enough, I

• Happy Birthday

So today's my birthday. Sweet 16, blah blah blah. Due to the circumstances, I had to spend the whole day alone at home and, oddly enough, I

• Happy Birthday! Here's something embarrassing from four years ago!

https://telltale.com/community/discussion/73475/the-walking-dead-fanfic-character-creator

I'll submit myself.
    Name: Sonya
    Personality: smart, pragmatic, logical, calm, serious, perfectionist, loner, cold
    Appearance: short girl with pale skin, light brown hair and grey blue eyes

• Happy birthday ?

• edited February 2018

Happy birthday! Yeah, I know what you mean, those "special ages" don't really feel that special...

I prefer to stay home for my birthday, and most days, too. (Most days, not all) But you spent your birthday alone? Did you even have family to spend it with...? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you prefer)

• Happy birthday. Believe me, spending your day at home without the fear of socializing with other people is the best thing imaginable.

• Happy birthday!

• You know us so well

Happy birthday. Believe me, spending your day at home without the fear of socializing with other people is the best thing imaginable.

• Request granted

You know us so well

• Random thought about the video game industry.

You know what I hate about some fans? The entitlement. If you don't like CVS toothpaste, you don't buy it. You don't harass them about how terrible it is, how you deserve better, and bother every employee you can contact.

Why is this acceptable in the video game industry?

• It doesn't help when some of these people are actually wishing that the company goes bankrupt and that hundreds of people lose their jobs because they don't like a game they put out.

Johro posted: »

Random thought about the video game industry. You know what I hate about some fans? The entitlement. If you don't like CVS toothpaste,

• uh... why did my comment "this is a bowl of spaghetti? I thought it was supposed to be Trump" got deleted? Can the person who deleted it explain to me? Sorry if it was offensive in some way, I didn't mean it to be offensive.

• edited February 2018

I didn’t like my profile pic, it sucked
    Also this spam block on my wall is pissing me off. I commented something, made a mistake so I tried to edit it and now I’m stuck waiting. 60 second sky ass, it’s been 3 minutes ?

• The difference between toothpaste and video games is that the average toothpaste doesn't cost up to $60 (not including DLC) and expects upwards of ten hours of immersion into a story and characters as well as ideally fun gameplay. Emotional investment should never be devalued or overlooked in this industry or in virtually any industry. i understand where you are coming from but I think there is a degree as to when entitlement is perfectly acceptable considering consumers are paying for privileges (especially when those privileges provide no real world utility unlike toothpaste.) That's not to excuse those who attack and harass individual employees (though I do believe harsh criticism on their work and company is usually okay)

Random thought about the video game industry. You know what I hate about some fans? The entitlement. If you don't like CVS toothpaste,

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2018

It wasn't anything offensive, but as per the Forum Guideline update back from last July, we're trying to avoid political discussions. This also includes even general references to political stuff, President Trump, other controversial topics, etc. On top of how toxic current politics are (which resulted in even off-handed references to Trump turning threads and discussions into flaming garbage fires), we also had a few problems with people taking bans/post deletions from political discussions way too seriously, leading to some negative harassment.

Some other general behind-the-scenes circumstances also came up, and long story short - moderating political discussions became more trouble than it was worth - even after we gave it the old college try and attempted to come up with a few ideas to mediate civil political discussions on the forums. So, it basically came down to a universal ban on political references. because various circumstances that came up were genuinely becoming that much of a problem for us.

TL;DR: The "No Politics" Guideline also extends to generic Trump references, because in the past, even that much has caused people to turn discussions toxic in defending or criticizing Trump. As I alluded to, multiple circumstances came up to where taking a more nuanced stance on this isn't practical for us in terms of forum moderation.

MegaXD posted: »

uh... why did my comment "this is a bowl of spaghetti? I thought it was supposed to be Trump" got deleted? Can the person who deleted it explain to me? Sorry if it was offensive in some way, I didn't mean it to be offensive.

• Price isn't a difference. It's the same as buying a $15,000 car. Sometimes, it's crap. The responsibility of purchase is on the consumer. We need to do our research before taking it home. Day one purchases and pre-orders are our own fault. There's no one to blame but ourselves. Now that we have Youtube and Twitch, there really is no reason.

Critiquing is perfectly fine. I've even stated recently that it is appreciated by developers. People take that way too far in practice. I follow numerous developers on social media and a read absolutely vial personal comments on a daily basis. It's sickening.

• Don't you think removing something as completely harmless as that is a few steps too far? Even I, as a Trump voter, thought it was humorous and went along with the joke. People are not as fragile as you might think.

It wasn't anything offensive, but as per the Forum Guideline update back from last July, we're trying to avoid political discussions. This a

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2018

I truly understand your perspective, and in the past, I was a strong advocate for going the extra mile ahead of other video game forums by allowing stuff like political discussions. But, without getting too much into some of the particular circumstances I am alluding to - some people really went out of their way to poop in the punch bowl. People like you might not be that fragile, but unfortunately, some people can be.

I know that, at surface value, it sounds like we are "punishing everyone for the actions of a few" and also being lazy/trying to encourage a "safe space/snowflake" culture, but the circumstances are a lot more complicated than that. Unfortunately, you'll just have to take my word on this.

Don't you think removing something as completely harmless as that is a few steps too far? Even I, as a Trump voter, thought it was humorous and went along with the joke. People are not as fragile as you might think.

• What is it with you and all the doggo (and occasional kitto) gifs lately?

I'm not complaining, keep 'em coming!

lupinb0y posted: »

Your browser does not support HTML5 video! https://i.imgur.com/NsCl5Mn.gifv

• Apparently, choosing what to keep/remove meant you were biased towards/against it.

so...

Now it's just a straight line not to cross.

• edited February 2018

Price isn't a difference. It's the same as buying a $15,000 car. Sometimes, it's crap. The responsibility of purchase is on the consumer. We need to do our research before taking it home. Day one purchases and pre-orders are our own fault. There's no one to blame but ourselves.

I can see that, but I believe the responsibility of quality and customer satisfaction does lie on the producer. Though I was mostly referring to game series that had expected long term investment like The Walking Dead and Mass Effect that had fallen short of fan expectations with A New Frontier and the ME 3 ending/ Andromeda respectively. Thats when I understand fan backlash. Otherwise I see what you're saying.

Price isn't a difference. It's the same as buying a $15,000 car. Sometimes, it's crap. The responsibility of purchase is on the consumer.

• I hate Jake Paul. Does anybody else hate Jake Paul? I just want him to fall over and break his toe, I swear. Uugghhh

• I have not played ANF, but Mass Effect definitely deserved criticism. Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as people said, but it also wasn't worth the franchise name. So that goes with what you said. A long term franchise that has significant investment by the players, does need to live up to it's name. There is some sense of entitlement there, but not enough to go on the offensive.

Blaming writers of each franchise, when they both have quite a few bosses and we have no idea whom made what choices, isn't acceptable. Neither is a youtube channel posting 3+ videos trashing one game. They got the point. Both Telltale and EA/Bioware publicly stated that everything isn't being ignored. Green Man Gaming was giving away copies of Andromeda. How embarrassing is that?

Both franchises have had their one flop(not counting ME3 as it's ending was due to EA). We'll see how they respond.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Price isn't a difference. It's the same as buying a $15,000 car. Sometimes, it's crap. The responsibility of purchase is on the consumer. We

• Blaming writers of each franchise, when they both have quite a few bosses and we have no idea whom made what choices, isn't acceptable.

I agree completely.

Neither is a youtube channel posting 3+ videos trashing one game.

As long as it's about the game or the general developer and not innocent individuals I don't have a problem with that. I think that ties to investment. Someone who takes the time to make that many videos probably has a good amount of care and passion for the IP. Being a bitter fan isn't a bad thing, only if being one causes you to insult people on a personal level (though I'd understand if you believe insulting their work instead is objectionable as well.) Plus the developer doesn't have to watch it, just like people don't have to buy their games.

I have not played ANF, but Mass Effect definitely deserved criticism. Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as people said, but it also wasn't wor

• Blind is right. There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes that we wish we could tell you guys and clarify but we cannot. I, a strong supporter of allowing politics on the forums, even relented when I saw the situations we were developing. It's a shame, a real shame. Hopefully we can come to a point where it will not be an issue any more and we can bring it back. But for now, we're stuck with this

I truly understand your perspective, and in the past, I was a strong advocate for going the extra mile ahead of other video game forums by a

• Shaun White is such a beast. Love that guy.

• I have a newfound love for Marie-Philip Poulin(2X Women's Hockey Gold Medalist).
    This commercial is pretty awesome.

• Those snowboarding finals...wow.

• edited February 2018

After a ten year relationship, I don't know how to handle this single life thing. Sitting alone, watching the Olympics, and hanging out here, probably isn't a correct way.

So I played GOTG. First, I enjoyed it. Now, the long answer.
    I feel current Telltale is best when you can shut your brain off and take the ride. GOTG, MCSM, that's where the writing shines to me. They can nail certain aspects of dialogue and emotion in a cinematic or comic book way. I find that the games where you are really thinking about your situation and how you would react, are the ones where there have been some issues. Cheesy. I'll say it.

This is not without criticism. Cheesy dialogue in GOTG, that's fine. Cheesy dialogue in TWD, that's not. I really think having set writing and development teams would help this. Since they were brought up on the previous page, I'll use Bioware as an example. Did you know that even though Mass Effect and Dragon Age are similar IPs at the root, they still had completely separate teams? Each franchise has it's own writing feel because of that.

I'm not a development genius here, so what do I know? All I know is that I'm going to eagerly await TWAU2 because that's the next Telltale game where you can just roll with the punches and enjoy it.

• Happy Birthday! You may now join my club of friend-less 16 year olds. We gotta stick together, y'know?

(Interstellar is a great movie, BTW)

• I thought I was the only friendless 16 year old. Then again, not friendless, my friends are just all dickheads.

Acheive250 posted: »

Happy Birthday! You may now join my club of friend-less 16 year olds. We gotta stick together, y'know? (Interstellar is a great movie, BTW)

• Well, a dickhead friend is just as good/bad as a nonexistent friend, right? So welcome to the club, bruh!

Melton23 posted: »

I thought I was the only friendless 16 year old. Then again, not friendless, my friends are just all dickheads.

• Shit, man. Why are all my stories so dark? I can't seem to write anything but really dark stories and it's depressing!

I wish I could write a some-what happy (at times) story. I mean, it has to be a little dark for it to be compelling and give a strong message. But damn, I can't think of a good story idea that doesn't depress the hell out of me.

• edited February 2018

Happy VD, forum.
    I <3 you.

use protection

• edited February 2018

Oh, right.

Happy Valentines Day to [REDACTED], my love. <3

BTW, do you only wish Happy Valentines Day to people you love/like romantically, or just... Like, anyone?
    Life is so confusing...

• I would say that Holidays are just set around a theme. And since the theme is based around Love, show it to whoever you want!

And if someone tries to tell you otherwise... They can go suck an egg. :)

Acheive250 posted: »

Oh, right. Happy Valentines Day to [REDACTED], my love. BTW, do you only wish Happy Valentines Day to people you love/like romantically, or just... Like, anyone? Life is so confusing...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.