The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• Did she turn Cockney there?

Also, why would you do that to a little tyke?

• They already confirmed no DLCs are planned for the game.

lupinb0y posted: »

It'll probably be Factions 2 and a PS5 port/remaster. Maybe a DLC story like Left Behind or something else since it seems like they're making a big deal out of the day.

• edited September 2020

Hmm, then maybe something like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy but for LoU2? Where it's a standalone expansion so technically not DLC. Or possibly casting for the tv show. I could see that happening. Or another comic book.

AronDracula posted: »

They already confirmed no DLCs are planned for the game.

• Me looking at the five assignments I have to complete in four weeks.

• And you have every right not to give one.

But, uh... heh... as someone who has played the multiplayer component since its PS3 origins, greatly enjoyed and still enjoys to this day revisiting Factions for some slow, grounded fun...
    Forgive me if I seem a bit starved for more.

AronDracula posted: »

Me still remembering what they did with TLOU2 promotion and its story.

• I'm sure the Factions is going to be a different experience compared to the story mode. And honestly, I think they should only focus on developing the multiplayer mode instead of making story DLCs for the game. The game developers deserve a good recongnition for putting effort into the game. They do not deserve to get criticized just because the game had a bad story. That's on Neil Druckmann.

AChicken posted: »

And you have every right not to give one. But, uh... heh... as someone who has played the multiplayer component since its PS3 origins, gr

• How is this thread still going on

• Me seeing news that Arkane Studios is hiring for their next AAA project.

• My family just got me another pair of $400 headphones as a gift since my first pair supposedly crapped out on me. I used the same charger I used to charge the new pair on the old pair and they magically started to work.

They weren't broken in the first place. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.

• It feels like I'm a completely different person now, and it makes me feel sick.

• Man, this is a big week for Arkane. First their parent company got bought for $7.5 billion, and now it’s revealed they’re hiring for a new game. I’m hoping it’s Dishonored related, but honestly, anything from these guys is sure to be good.

Me seeing news that Arkane Studios is hiring for their next AAA project.

• You should return them

BichPlease posted: »

My family just got me another pair of $400 headphones as a gift since my first pair supposedly crapped out on me. I used the same charger I

• BichPleaseBichPlease Banned
    edited September 2020

Yep I said that wrong. The head phones had been broken for like over a year, but I didn't get them replaced for a while until they surprised me with a new pair for a birthday gift. And now, we are planning to keep the extra pair. My step-father already has a pair of his own and he says he loves them. They are great for when you need to tune out for a while. Unfortunately, I can't say that for my mom. She already has mastered the ability to tune other people out. I have my older sister who would probably like them.

Drizzy-XL posted: »

You should return them

• edited September 2020

So this came out of nowhere!

Remember that DreamWorks animated movie The Croods, that came out in 2013?!!
    Well they made a sequel, it comes out this November, and the first trailer just popped up 2 days ago.
    Excuse me... What???

Looks real colourful and... Mildly enjoyable. Can guess the "wow big animated plot twist" a mile away though.
    It's out in theatres November 25 (stay safe people), and probably jumping to On Demand streaming a few weeks after that. I'm totally blindsided by this sequel announcement and release all at once! Never knew it was successful enough to warrant one, or even that it was being made!

• I watched the first movie on tv years after it came out and thought it was pretty alright. Nothing amazing but certainly enjoyable. Weird that they announced it so close to its release.

So this came out of nowhere! Remember that DreamWorks animated movie The Croods, that came out in 2013?!! Well they made a sequel, it co

• Yeah, it was announced a while ago, surprised how long it took.

So this came out of nowhere! Remember that DreamWorks animated movie The Croods, that came out in 2013?!! Well they made a sequel, it co

• Yes, new Dishonored please.

However, I really hope that they change up their morality system. You're pretty much neutered if you want to get the good ending. Not saying it can't be fun but I'd like to be able to play around with the powers more.

Man, this is a big week for Arkane. First their parent company got bought for $7.5 billion, and now it’s revealed they’re hiring for a new game. I’m hoping it’s Dishonored related, but honestly, anything from these guys is sure to be good.

• edited September 2020

I watched the animated series, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous on Netflix that recently released. The season is eight episodes long with each episode being 25 minutes long.

First of all, I really enjoy the Jurassic Park movies. All of them. In fact, the first movie is my favourite movie of all time. I've watched it so many times, but every time Alan Grant looks at the herd of dinosaurs with the Jurassic Park theme playing in the background I get this big dumb smile on my face. I do think that everything past the first one gets progressively dumber, with Fallen Kingdom being by far the dumbest movie in the franchise so far, though I still enjoyed it because of the dumbness. I've also read the original books by Michael Crichton which I also enjoyed immensely. So when they first announced this I was interested because it's the first tv show in the franchise and I wondered how it would fare. Gonna spoiler tag this because this is a long one and I wanna get my piece out. It doesn't actually spoil anything, I just wanna save the forum some space lol.

I'll start off with the art style of the show. I'm not a big fan of the character designs, they all kinda look a little bit off to me, like cheap Dreamworks looking characters. Also they made that guide lady super thicc for some reason, though I'm not complaining about that lol. The dinosaurs all look great though, and the environments aren't too bad looking either, but alot of it is just jungle brush. I do wish they went for something more stylised instead of this half cartoony, half photorealistic look.

So the series follows six teenagers, each with their own character archetype, who have been invited to Camp Cretaceous in Jurassic World and it takes place in the other end of the island from the movie. So the series starts off pretty mediocre. The kids are dumb as hell, and can get a little annoying by pretty much actively trying to get themselves killed. It's generic and plays it very safe with each episode following the kids and their hijinks. They do a good job of making the dinosaur scenes feel intense though, I will say that. But the kids don't get too much development and stay pretty annoying. Not to mention a lot of the dialogue feels like a middle aged man wrote it. Also they play the Jurassic Park theme like three times in the first episode and I was getting annoyed that they'd overplay it.

But when it gets to episode 4, shit hits the fan. By this point in the season, the first movie has kicked off and the Indominus Rex has broken out of its facility. And all pretenses of the show being safe and generic go out the window. This series is not afraid to kill people, though you don't ever see the act you will hear it. They'll cut to a reaction from the kids watching the whole thing play out and you'll hear screaming, tearing, bones crunching and blood squishing. The show will go out of its way to traumatise the fuck out of these kids. Speaking of the kids, they get so much better as the series goes on. They get proper character development, you start to relate to some of their issues and even start to feel kind of afraid for them. Hell, one of the episodes spends like half of its time with the kids just having a conversation and talking to each other. No action. No dinosaurs or anything. Just kids talking to each other, learning about each other, and the situation they're in.

Also this show gets surprisingly intense. They really do a great job on the horror aspect of the franchise to the point that I actually jumped a few times. I legitimately felt afraid that these kids would get fuckin' killed. For a kids show, they go pretty hard on the violence and the reality of the situation, and the fact that not everyone gets a happy ending. Episodes 6 and 7 are legitimately fantastic and are my favourite episodes of the season. These episodes specifically do a great job of capturing that classic Jurassic Park wonder and horror. It's not perfect. You still get some weird dialogue now and again, and it gets a little cheesy which I'm fine with.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The series starts off extremely by the numbers with generic characters making dumb ass decisions, but manages to grow into its own thing that, in my opinion, catches the fun, wonder and scariness I loved so much about the original movie. Is it better than the original move? Absolutely not. Is it better than the Jurassic World movies? Yeah I'd say so. At least when it reaches the halfway point. Hopefully it gets a second season.

• As a fan of the original novels and the films, I've been meaning to watch that. I need to get back into binging stuff. lol

I watched the animated series, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous on Netflix that recently released. The season is eight episodes long with eac

• Minecraft: Story Mode on Netflix lol

As a fan of the original novels and the films, I've been meaning to watch that. I need to get back into binging stuff. lol

• Ah, yes. Truly the best thing on Netflix...

Drizzy-XL posted: »

Minecraft: Story Mode on Netflix lol

• It is legitimately quite good and very classic Jurassic Park. Though as I mentioned, you do have to power through the first three episodes before it actually starts being interesting.

As a fan of the original novels and the films, I've been meaning to watch that. I need to get back into binging stuff. lol

• Never got around to seeing the first amongst many other things

• Mafia: Definitive Edition just released.

From what I've read, most reviewers like the story, voice acting and driving, while the gunplay is kinda eh, but serviceable. Overall, it's getting good reviews - around 7-9, so that's nice.

ᵇᵗʷ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᶠᶦʳˢᵗ ᵗᶦᵐᵉ ᵃᶠᵗᵉʳ ᵃ ˡᵒⁿᵍ ʷʰᶦˡᵉ ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ˢᵉᵉⁿ ᵃ ˡᵃᵘⁿᶜʰ ᵗʳᵃᶦˡᵉʳ ʳᵉˡᵉᵃˢᵉ ᵃᵗ ᵃᶜᵗᵘᵃˡ ˡᵃᵘⁿᶜʰ ˡᵘˡ ᵗʰᵉʸ ᵘˢᵘᵃˡˡʸ ʳᵉˡᵉᵃˢᵉ ᵗʰᵉˢᵉ ˡᶦᵏᵉ ᶠᵉʷ ᵈᵃʸˢ ᵉᵃʳˡʸ

• The melee gameplay looks really off. There could've been further options for replayability like mission objectives. Free Ride could've been better. There are quite a few bugs and performance issues. I disagree with a lot of story, character and general direction changes made. But it's still an awesome game, solid 8 imo, especially after bug-fixes.

Pipas posted: »

Mafia: Definitive Edition just released. From what I've read, most reviewers like the story, voice acting and driving, while the gunp

• Me, ideally: I've got a busy day in front of me at work, I need to manage my time wisely to get it all done. I must be focused and honed in on my surroundings.

Me, realistically: Sitting in the office while on the Gamestop website, waiting for PS5 pre orders to go live again.

• I got this as i played the original when it came out, i haven’t finished yet but the story seems the same so far, i do find the melee a bit annoying on the PC as you have to spam Q to hit things which feels weird when it would be easier to just use the left mouse button.

Pipas posted: »

Mafia: Definitive Edition just released. From what I've read, most reviewers like the story, voice acting and driving, while the gunp

• Fun fact: Red Dead Redemption 2 shares most of its level changes with Tlou 2

You could hologram with people if you make direct-indirect eye contact and make exaggerated movement?

BichPlease posted: »

Fun fact: Red Dead Redemption 2 shares most of its level changes with Tlou 2 You could hologram with people if you make direct-indirect eye contact and make exaggerated movement?

• I uh.. I was high.

• Putting roped citizens up a cliff in red dead redemption 2 then using my dynamite arrow to shoot them off the cliff is something I won't be bored of for a long time.

• It's been announced today that the Game Awards will have a new category going forward: The Guaranteed The Last of Us 2 Award

Oops sorry, I mean the Innovation in Accessibility award, which will definitely not be going toward a pack of bad dogs this year.

• Yeah that sounds about right. The accessibility options in LoU2 are absolutely nuts, it's almost guaranteed the win.

It's been announced today that the Game Awards will have a new category going forward: The Guaranteed The Last of Us 2 Award Oops sorry,

• I'm gonna be interviewing a psychologist in a few days about the positive and negative effects that social media has on mental health for a research project. Anyone have any ideas on questions that I could possibly ask?

• edited September 2020
    • What aspects of social media draw people into it, from how it's designed to what the individual may think that entices them to keep going back to social media.
    • You could even tie in how celebrities of major TV Shows like Love Island, Ex on The Beach, Geordie Shore, Keeping up with The Kardashians etc. with their millions upon millions of followers, use their social media platforms to portray an "ideal" way to look or behave.
    • In countries like the Republic of Ireland, Instagram has removed the ability for users to see the total likes of a post, instead replacing the total likes with "others" this was done in order to combat the pressures of social media in the life of teenagers. You could ask what their thoughts are on this method, and if other nations could adapt or improve on it.
    • Do they believe social media should require a form of ID to register an account, so that if anyone behaves inappropriately towards another user, they can be identified and held accountable for their actions?
    • Aside from the negative impacts social media has on an individual, what do you believe are the positive impacts?
    • What sort of action(s) could Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc. take to protect the wellbeing of its users? Would reminders to take a 15-minute break from social media be of any benefit?
    • These Social Media platforms provide support and helplines for those who may be struggling with their mental health, although they are hidden away and not front and center of the screen, only appearing through the reporting system and other avenues, why are these platforms doing that?
    • Do they feel social media platforms have done enough at this current moment in time to promote and protect the mental health of users?
    • Social media users tend to portray themselves in an ideal light, like showing off their looks, their figure, and in seeing how their friends or family respond to these form of posts, obviously it would encourage posts that are more akin, but does this have an effect offline, where people think they must drastically alter their appearance and keep it up in order to receive a positive reaction?
    • Does prolonged social media use have an effect on an individual's ability to have a conversation in person? If so, what are the effects?
    • According to Sean Parker, former co-founding president of Facebook, he and his fellow co-founders knew that the platform they created exploited “a vulnerability in human psychology”. He explained that when Facebook was being developed the objective was: “How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?” It was this mindset that led to the creation of features such as the “like” button that would give users “a little dopamine hit” to encourage them to upload more content. “It’s a social-validation feedback loop … exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with, because you’re exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.” (This I feel could be a worthwhile mention to demonstrate how these social media giants are acutely aware of the addictive nature within their platforms, and their suggestions, along with feature implementations encouraged revisiting the site and uploading more content.)
    • Mental Health is still a relatively touchy topic on social media, which is understandable because of how complex and alien mental health is to some with all of these various conditions, but it appears the older generation tend to scoff at it and respond with "There was no autism or depression all these years ago", mainly because the general response is that the individual with poor mental health was either locked away in psychiatric wards, deemed an outcast or given labels with the intent to demean and shame them, how can the older generation be educated on mental health to show it was a lot more common back in their day than they realise?
    • With social media being a global platform connecting us with the rest of the world, our posts are available to be viewed by anyone, those who put up posts expressing their dissatisfaction in life are looked upon as "no good attention seekers" who only want attention, and while there's truth to them wanting attention (please bear with me on this), their cry for attention is for help, someone to come in and help them, how can we as a society alter the perception of those who deem a plea for help as "solely attention seeking"?
    • Out of all clients they worked with in dealing with pressures of social media, which form of social media was the biggest culprit in causing deterioration of a person's mental health?
    • Do they have hope that these social media giants will introduce new methods to combat bullying and services to better benefit those with poor mental health?

Here's the link to that Sean Parker article if you want to read up on it: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/09/facebook-sean-parker-vulnerability-brain-psychology

UPDATE: I found a report by the Royal Society for Public Health and the Young Health Movement that explores the effects of social media on young people's health, although this may be a European research paper, I feel it could be of some benefit to you so to show its effects across the world, here's the link: https://www.rsph.org.uk/our-work/campaigns/status-of-mind.html

Best of luck with your project and the interview :smile:

I'm gonna be interviewing a psychologist in a few days about the positive and negative effects that social media has on mental health for a research project. Anyone have any ideas on questions that I could possibly ask?

• Hot damn, these are some really great questions! The idea of removing/replacing the like feature is a really interesting idea.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the article you linked. They're a big help!

* What aspects of social media draw people into it, from how it's designed to what the individual may think that entices them to keep going

• edited September 2020

You're very welcome I was worried those wouldn't be suffice, if I can think of any others I'll add them :smiley:

As for the liking feature, over here the like feature is still there, but it doesn't give an exact number of likes to a user's post, I believe only the OP can see how many likes they have on their Instagram posts, so limiting access to these numbers only to the OP decreases bullying and the pressures that boys or girls may feel when their total likes were on full display to everyone, a good first step, but there's many left to take, the likes are hidden on the app, if you go to Instagram via browser, you can see a post's likes, despite it being a small step, it's bound to have massive benefits

Hot damn, these are some really great questions! The idea of removing/replacing the like feature is a really interesting idea. Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the article you linked. They're a big help!

• edited September 2020

@dylanwoods777 with the absolute chad energy by helping me do like half of my research for me.

Thank you very much for the help!

• I want to watch The Legend of Korra but Netflix is an idiot for not letting other countries binge it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.