The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• Vamos Espana! It's not coming home!

• Because of the new Life is Strange game, I recently decided to replay the original life is strange for the first time since I played the final episode when it first released. I'd only watched playthroughs since, but it was the first time I actually went back to replay for myself. I ended up really liking it and I think I've found a much greater appreciation for it.

I found myself pretty invested in all the characters. I also found Arcadia Bay to be a really cool setting and I think the Rachel mystery is pretty compelling even though I already knew how it all ends. There are still some very weird lines of dialogue and Blackwell is not realistic at all but in a way I think this adds to the weirdness/charm in a way that I think it ends up actually working out in the games favor. I don't think I'd normally say that but It does make the world feel like its own strange place.

Plus, even though Arcadia Bay has its weirdness, it also feels like a real place, especially compared to the town in TC. That place felt like it was not real at all with how "perfect" it was while Arcadia Bay clearly has problems.

The time travel mechanic is used for fun puzzles and is used pretty well. I also think unlike the other LIS games, time travel is simply just a much cooler and more fun thing to use and base a game around. Plus I forgot how much actual gameplay is in this game which was also pretty refreshing. It also sets up pretty interesting ideas and themes about time or fate as Max keeps messing with it. Max is also a much better character than I remember her being. I also like how Chloe is a character who won't just agree with everything you say and has a lot of her own agency instead of just being a yes man.

When I first played I ended up doing the sacrifice the town and romance Chloe ending. I ended up changing it this time around. I'm not totally sure why, I'm sure part of it was because I wanted to do something different this time, but I also spent far more time getting to know the side characters this time around and I think that played a large part of it for me change my ending. Not sure which I will choose for DE.

But I really liked it and really was surprised how much I liked it. I'm not really sure why I wasn't that into it the first time I played. Not that I disliked it, but I do remember thinking it was ok and a bit overrated. But now after replaying I just had a blast playing it.

That said, I kind of now think that a sequel to LIS isn't just very hard to do but honestly kind of impossible. Now with everything fresh in my mind I don't think you can really make a sequel without upsetting some part of the fan base. A lot of people are hung up on how Chloe will be a part of the game but there are also so many other variables depending on both choices. Even though those choices are basically erased, would Max still be in contact with some of the other characters? Some I think far more than others so I hope they may appear through messages or something. What about Max herself? Will she still feel like Max? In general I feel like the main issue is simply half the players would get something the other half wouldn't and I don't see them doing that for simplicity and budget. If that final choice does result in majors differences then that I would be incredibly cool, but I do doubt it.

When it comes to DE making Max a professor I think this is actually a very good evolution for her character. But there are some other things I am not really feeling about the whole friend is dead thing. For one, I think this works really well in LIS1 because we never meet Rachel and she disappeared months ago. Us not even knowing who she was and only going off what people tell us adds its own element to the mystery. But most importantly is that it happened a while ago. I think a pretty big problem with True Colors was how Gabe dies right in front of you and "We need to find answers, damnit!" but there is also like no agency in doing this because so much time passes and the characters are doing so much unrelated stuff. It feels kind of awkward, while in LIS1 it feels like actually uncovering a mystery. DE has a pretty similar set up to TC so I hope it doesn't follow a similar path. I do think the set up of it being an actual murder mystery is better than the "Who blew up the rocks" though.

Also Max just using her powers/new power again feels like some character regression. I feel like even more so if you sacrificed Chloe. Max using her powers again makes her learn nothing. I do hope they give a compelling reason for why she decides she needs to do this again.

There is also the new romance options for Max which will probably upset most people. I said this earlier but I feel like people are not going to like the Chloe side lining and these characters have pretty heavy competition to gain favor. I feel like the game doesn't even need romance.

• After finishing Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree DLC for the second time, Malenia wasn't so bad after all.

• I wonder how the hell does YouTube suggestions work. Like really how the fuck do you get suggested something like that out of blue xD

• edited July 20

I have a theater room with surround sound in my house but it means I can only use a PS5 or Xbox. I prefer using a gaming PC but then I can't use it in my theater room atm. If you guys had to pick, would you rather play in a theater room with a console or just use a normal room for a Gaming PC? I honestly can't decide :(

• You actually can get a sound card with surround sound outputs for your PC. I have one but no surround sound setup to plug it into. Of course, the game has to support it, too. If you weren't playing in that room, would it otherwise be set up in some bad place with a lot of distractions?

Menofthe214 posted: »

I have a theater room with surround sound in my house but it means I can only use a PS5 or Xbox. I prefer using a gaming PC but then I can't

• I would play my PC in my bedroom. I wouldn't put a surround sound system and I don't think it would work the way my room is setup.

WarpSpeed posted: »

You actually can get a sound card with surround sound outputs for your PC. I have one but no surround sound setup to plug it into. Of cour

• I love a good YouTube suggestion, it's a real check on what people actually think are important.

bruzdaa posted: »

I wonder how the hell does YouTube suggestions work. Like really how the fuck do you get suggested something like that out of blue xD

• Looks like Alex Jordan is going to be one of the player character voice options in the next Dragon Age.
    Welcome back Asher Forrester.

• TIL he was also hired to do sex noises for Baldur's Gate 3.

TheFurryOne posted: »

Looks like Alex Jordan is going to be one of the player character voice options in the next Dragon Age. Welcome back Asher Forrester.

• 0:37 “Shut up and take my money!”

• edited July 24

Me if I ever get my hands on the creator of the QR code menu.

Me if I ever get my hands on the person who suggested adding captcha and OTP to the QR code menu.

• Well, look what I decided to play, all of the sudden.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

WOOOO!!! ACE ATTORNEY! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO!!!

AronDracula posted: »

Well, look what I decided to play, all of the sudden.

• Noice, I hope you enjoy it!

If you plan to play the whole series, I suggest you do it in this order:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney-Justice For All-Trials and Tribulations-Ace Attorney Investigations duology-Apollo Justice Trilogy(Apollo Justice Ace Attorney, Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice)-The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles duology

Well, look what I decided to play, all of the sudden.

• If you plan to play the whole series, I suggest you do it in this order:

Thx for the order suggestion. I heard that each game takes like 60 hours to finish, so I plan to just finish this one this year.

@dojo32161 After only having the basic ideas of what Ace Attorney is all about, the last thing I expected from this game is Phoenix Wright being so relatable. Somehow, I always pictured him to be sassy and very focused on his job.

Noice, I hope you enjoy it! If you plan to play the whole series, I suggest you do it in this order: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney-Justi

• last thing I expected from this game is Phoenix Wright being so relatable. Somehow, I always pictured him to be sassy and very focused on his job

He's a pretty goofy guy in a very goofy legal system 😝

If you plan to play the whole series, I suggest you do it in this order: Thx for the order suggestion. I heard that each game takes

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 6

Today, I learned that not all Sega arcades are renamed in Japan. Sega Joypolis was saved by the axe because it's managed by CA Sega Joypolis rather than Genda GiGO Entertainment.

• Don't 😝 me.

If you know, you know.

AChicken posted: »

last thing I expected from this game is Phoenix Wright being so relatable. Somehow, I always pictured him to be sassy and very focused on his job He's a pretty goofy guy in a very goofy legal system 😝

• I would have thought stuff like that would have been very popular in Japan still. Glad to see there's still some around, that place looks pretty cool.

Jennifer posted: »

Today, I learned that not all Sega arcades are renamed in Japan. Sega Joypolis was saved by the axe because it's managed by CA Sega Joypolis rather than Genda GiGO Entertainment.

• Sweet Jesus, the first game in the Phoenix Wright trilogy took me 39 hours to complete. It was kind of exhausting.

But overall, I enjoyed the first game. The game is very funny, the characters are very memorable and the gameplay was fresh to me (My first exposure to Ace Attorney in general was the Henry Stickmin games). My favorite case is either 3 or 4, because 3 had the best concept of the crime scene and 4 had the best villain and emotional ending.
    Some of the design choices could have been done a little bit better, like let me fucking pause and save when I am forced to choose evidence or maybe make some clues and evidential sources more specific so I don't have to choose, fail, reload and repeat.

Considering how long it took me to finish the first game, I'll take a break from this trilogy for a while.

First game's mostly so long thanks to the case they added for the DS release, Rise from the Ashes, which was nearly the same length of the first 4 cases combined, lmao.

Sweet Jesus, the first game in the Phoenix Wright trilogy took me 39 hours to complete. It was kind of exhausting. But overall, I enjoyed

• Aha

I was totally confused why Case 4 had a montage with music in the end. That was like a perfect ending for Phoenix as a rookie lawyer, so why did they have to have another case which is almost disconnected to the first cases? But now I know.

dojo32161 posted: »

First game's mostly so long thanks to the case they added for the DS release, Rise from the Ashes, which was nearly the same length of the first 4 cases combined, lmao.

Yeah, it was basically added because the original three games came out on Game Boy, so when they wanted to do a rerelease on DS, they learned it would also release in English for the first time, so they decided to add in an extra case to celebrate that (it has a lot of little references to future cases), to try out the features of the DS before they made the fourth game and also to act as an extra incentive to get people in Japan to buy the DS release.

Aha I was totally confused why Case 4 had a montage with music in the end. That was like a perfect ending for Phoenix as a rookie lawyer, so why did they have to have another case which is almost disconnected to the first cases? But now I know.

• I've had a great day of hiking. I won't post any pictures, but got to go under a bridge hundreds of feet down, and later did some jumping around on stream rocks (I love causal climbing in places like that). I forget sometimes how much fun it can be.

• I really don't like anime, but when I see one centered on an aspiring golfer where the main character is voiced by Jimmy Neutron, okay, maybe I can make an exception.

• to try out the features of the DS before they made the fourth game

Ohhh lol right, so that's why the 2nd and 3rd games are nearly identical mechanics-wise to the first game's original cases!...

I was really confused when the touch screen features were somehow absent from the sequels since I assumed it was part of the Bonus Case because they were using resources from the next games.

But the whole original trilogy was just GBA games? Now I know heh.

dojo32161 posted: »

Yeah, it was basically added because the original three games came out on Game Boy, so when they wanted to do a rerelease on DS, they learne

• According to an interview with Randy Pitchford, Tales from the Borderlands is what made him confident that a Borderlands movie could be made.

One of the experiments we did early on was with a partnership with Telltale Games. And it was a game series called Tales from the Borderlands. And Tales from the Borderlands had no... it was not the gameplay of the mainline Borderlands games. It was a storytelling medium, just interactive, and it was wildly successful. It was the highest rated game series that Telltale ever did. And they worked on, you know, The Walking Dead and Batman; tons of other amazing things. And then that validated that the universe and the characters and the storylines [of Borderlands] were meaningful and resonated. So that was the other kind of thing that made me confident.

With Tales from the Borderlands, we were able to let go of that fundamental shooter, looter game loop, and focus on the storytelling, and it was very, very rewarding. And the audience that found it loved it. But again, not everybody plays those kinds of video games or any video game, right? With a movie, we can reach a completely different audience, or a wider audience, with this [storytelling] that we’re playing with that just isn’t being played with in the same way. To me, that was why [the movie was] worth existing.

• I agree that it showed potential of Borderlands but uh I don't think it's gonna translate to the movie. I am shocked that the movie came out. I don't have a lot of faith in it. Might have made some money before COVID but I don't know now.

lupinb0y posted: »

According to an interview with Randy Pitchford, Tales from the Borderlands is what made him confident that a Borderlands movie could be made

I would like Pitchford to keep TFTB out of his mouth, considering he has never been able to reproduce it.

According to an interview with Randy Pitchford, Tales from the Borderlands is what made him confident that a Borderlands movie could be made

• I'm so glad Gearbox is fully aware that Tales had a great story and showed people were interested in the actual storytelling of the Borderlands universe and yet they pretty much took the exact opposite approach in storytelling.

Someone should probably remind Randy that Gearbox didn't write Tales.

• Rhys and Vaughn: Become unlikeable and annoying
    Fiona and Sasha: Sidelined and directionless
    Cassius:

• “Borderlands feels like what an out-of-touch executive thinks the ‘cool kids’ find appealing,” tweeted film critic Edgar Ortega. “There is not a single earnest character moment here, just obnoxious quips that feel dated as soon as they leave the actors’ mouths. It’s not even so bad it’s good, just a complete mess.”

Kind of strikes me as a lot of these action-type movies nowadays.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1821241422244372831

• edited August 7

Gortys and Loaderbot: Get to live together peacefully with their stories concluded

(Hopefully Gearbox forgot about them anyways)

Poogers555 posted: »

Rhys and Vaughn: Become unlikeable and annoying Fiona and Sasha: Sidelined and directionless Cassius:

• I hope you're ready for the Timmy Gortys Loaderbot love triangle.

Let's just hope Gearbox forgot there was more than 4 Tales characters.

Cocoa6372 posted: »

Gortys and Loaderbot: Get to live together peacefully with their stories concluded (Hopefully Gearbox forgot about them anyways)

• I do find it funny that he kept mentioning the original game but never New Tales.

Poogers555 posted: »

I'm so glad Gearbox is fully aware that Tales had a great story and showed people were interested in the actual storytelling of the Borderla

• edited August 8

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1821535042935644592

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 8

One of the original Big Hero 6 comics takes place at the high school I attended for summer school in grade eleven.

Southport High School
    Southside High School

Sign in to comment in this discussion.