Did Anyone Else Hate Lex Luthor's Character in BVS?

enter image description here

Ohhh where do I start with this guy...

Ok first of all I know this is Alex Luthor, Lex Luthors son, but that doesn't redeem him at all, also, I have nothing wrong with Jesse Eisenberg. He is a good actor and some moments made me chuckle. I almost walked out as soon as I saw him. He doesn't act evil until the very end by capturing Supermans mom, and even then he seems like as much as a pussy as Kylo Ren from Star Wars was. He acts like a comedian whenever he's trying to sound serious, and he doesn't look threatening at all. No wonder Superman wants to kick his ass at the end.

What did you guys think of him?

Comments

• I didn't like him as Lex, but to be fair the piss jar thing though ridiculous, was pretty evil.

• I'm pretty sure most people didn't like him.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Who even thought Jesse Eisenberg as an antagonist/villain was a good idea in the first place, let alone Lex Luthor

• I don't hate his actor, I just absolutely despise his character.

• I didn't understood the piss jar thing, can you explain that to me?

lupinb0y posted: »

I didn't like him as Lex, but to be fair the piss jar thing though ridiculous, was pretty evil.

• It was a callback to what the woman said to him earlier in the movie. I can't recall what it was though.

I didn't understood the piss jar thing, can you explain that to me?

• edited April 2016

I remember it was something about her grandmother. But I have no idea why it made her react that way.

lupinb0y posted: »

It was a callback to what the woman said to him earlier in the movie. I can't recall what it was though.

• He was an awesome Lex Luthor. Me and my friends aren't familiar with the superman comics and we all loved his character.

• Cringeworthy at parts aside, I did not have much problems with Eisenberg's characterization, considering he isn't the classic Lex Luthor played out in many mediums.

• For the direction they were going in I think it worked out okay. It was an extremely strange choice to take for Lex with him being essentially The Ridder while shoving Jolly Ranchers into government officials mouths, pissing in jars and rubbing Superman's face.

But none of those choices can be blamed on Eisenberg. I actually kind of enjoyed it for what it was.

• I blame the writing of him, not Eisenberg for what he was. I did like him having hair, and there was some times I chuckled at stuff he did, like at the party when he a breakdown on stage. Definitely not a classic Lex Luthor though.

• Yeah it was mostly his style of character and the wrong casting choice. He's supposed to be a narcissistic, emotionless genius not a whiny, fidgeting teenager

• The cringe was real.

• i think he is a good actor and did a good acting , but for people that play games with him or read comics with him just dont match the actor with the character.

• Even though this is a different version of Lex Luthor I have to say it just didn't work. It's as if he was trying too hard to be quirky and maniacal - nothing against the actor I would assume the script was the issue as for the rest of the film. Well the script was good for Batman which was easily the best thing about the movie honestly I think the movie would have been a lot better if it was written only by Chris Terrio - glad that David S Goyer isn't writing the script for Justice League part 1.

• Don't quote me, but I did hear somewhere Eisenberg was auditioning for a Riddler role.

• I thought it was for Jimmy Olsen?

pcharl01 posted: »

Don't quote me, but I did hear somewhere Eisenberg was auditioning for a Riddler role.

• I heard a rumor that he was originally going to play the Riddler in the film but something changed and they told him that he was to play Lex Luthor, he accepted the change, but wouldn't change the persona he was already working on. That would make some sense.

pcharl01 posted: »

Don't quote me, but I did hear somewhere Eisenberg was auditioning for a Riddler role.

• .....Eh. Compared to every other character in the movie, he was actually pretty fun to watch, mainly in how cheesy and kind of out of place he was.

• I didn't like him either. His acting wasn't that bad, but he just didn't match the character

• Speaking of cheesy, I felt really weird with the way Lex Luthor is treating Zod's body...

J-Master posted: »

.....Eh. Compared to every other character in the movie, he was actually pretty fun to watch, mainly in how cheesy and kind of out of place he was.

• I actually loved the whole movie, I mean Lex Luther played by Jesse Eisenberg was really good, it was his own cynical way of showing that character. Just a different variation of Lex Luther. That's what I love about this movie, its not strictly stuck to a ONE comic book adaptation, like the first or maybe second dark night trillogy.it has a little of that, and a little of couple of other books, and they take those little bits and make theit own movie, in essentially a modern day, and as it is darker times.

• 'You flew too close to the sun. Now look at you...'

When I saw that in theatres I thought how sexual he sounded was odd.

Speaking of cheesy, I felt really weird with the way Lex Luthor is treating Zod's body...

• Oh man did I hate Eisenberg in this role. I like him fine as an actor in other movies, but in this movie I couldn't not cringe and look away from him in every scene he was in. Got tired of the, god/demon/man dialogue real quick from him and his overly eccentric attitude was so wrong and annoying. I kept hoping that Sups was either going to headbutt him through a wall or Bats was going to tase him. Complete travesty of a character.

• Glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

The way he spoke to Zod's body and the way he was crying, it really sounds like he is in grief or something.

'You flew too close to the sun. Now look at you...' When I saw that in theatres I thought how sexual he sounded was odd.

• Let acknowledged the fact that within the DC world there are multiverses, so a recasting wouldn't hurt.

• He wasn't serious enough, heck I reckon Batman coukd have had a love/hate relationship with him

• I have to agree actually, from the very beginning I knew this casting was bad, I cringed so hard watching every scene he was in. He's honestly up there as one of the biggest miscasts I've ever seen in film. Shame that such a great villain was wasted like this, oh well.

• edited April 2016

I actually kinda liked him to be honest.

• Didn't hate him, but the entire movie had a bunch of pacing problems for me, just like the previous Man of Steel movie. But still, imho, he was an at best okay character in a "meh" of a movie. Most of my enjoyment from watching him (not a lot, some) was more because Jesse Eisenberg is a pretty good actor. He was just wrong for the role.

• I like Jesse Eisenberg as he can be a pretty damn good actor. But wow, he was just so terrible in this movie. It seemed like he was trying to pull off what Heath Ledger did with his Joker role, but man did it backfire. This was a huge miscast.

• edited April 2016

By FAR one of the most painful acting performances I have ever seen in my 40+ years of watching movies. To say I hated it would be a MASSIVE understatement. It was like nails on a chalkboard for me. By far the single worst characterization I have ever seen in a superhero film before. And I actually like Jesse E. I think he is a good actor and has picked solid roles up to this point. His Lex Luthor was just awful tho. Way too over the top and it ultimately came off as just really really really bad acting.

I am still haunted by the ending and his terrible "ding ding ding ding". Honestly, his scenes were just excruciatingly painful to sit through. One of my favorite aspects to Lex Luthor as a character is that he is subtly maniacal. Not to mention devious, power hungry and ingenious. Jesse's Luthor was anything but subtle and nothing about his performance made me think that this luthor was even very smart, let alone an actual genious. IMO, this was by far one of the biggest miscastings in Hollywood history.

• I could've seen him being the joker considering how crazy he was but I was alright with him playing this character

SpaceTales posted: »

The cringe was real.

• i liked him, he is not a bad actor, i dont know why everyone in this page hates him, its not fair, he did a great job

• I like Jesse Eisenberg, I know he is a good actor. I have seen him in good movies such as The Social Network and Now you see me. But I absolutely hate his character of Lex Luthor. in BvS. Just because I dislike his character, doesn't mean I hate him personally.

Alex_L_P posted: »

i liked him, he is not a bad actor, i dont know why everyone in this page hates him, its not fair, he did a great job

• People don't hate Jesse Eisenberg , they hate the lex Luthor (if he could even be called that) he portrayed

Alex_L_P posted: »

i liked him, he is not a bad actor, i dont know why everyone in this page hates him, its not fair, he did a great job

• I can get Jesse E. was a wrong actor's choice for Lex Luthor, I mean I would have just gone with original Lex Luthor the cunning business man type, in fact I would have gone with Byran Cranston who played Hisenburg from Breaking Bad. However I don't like the comparison said here about Kylo Ren and this Lex Luthor, I mean Kylo Ren is, in my opinion, far from the terribleness of the Jesse E.'s Lex Luthor's. Kylo Ren does have his childish moments but I think he will grow better as a character, either as a villian or anti-hero wise or something.

• Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Yes, I despise him. I despise Snyder. I despise Geoff Johns. I despise Terrio. I despise this mess of a movie that destroyed the DCEU before it even got off the ground.

• This is why I wanted Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville to be recast as Lex Luthor instead of the guy who played Mark Zukerberg.

• He was way too much of a whiny bitch. Lex is a calculated psychopath. Not a tantrum throwing pussy that acts "crazy."

Sign in to comment in this discussion.