Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• i'm genuinely more and more in love with this opening each time i watch it.

AChicken posted: »

Awesome! Let's take a moment to appreciate the very cool, very enjoyable opening credits to the first film... mmmmmmhh

• Stuck in Deadvelopment hell for years, Deadpool recalls the intense journey his character had to endure before smashing into his own solo movie in 2016 and beyond.

• edited May 2018

Someone needs to give the Deadpool 2 marketing team the biggest raise imaginable. They've done such a good job in embracing the weird, and this is the best thing I've seen yet. They shipped Ryan out to South Korea to do this! And he's amazing!

In promotion of Deadpool 2, Ryan Reynolds appreared on the South Korean show "King of Masked singer", a show where celebrities secretly dress up in costume and sing. The council of judges must figure out who is under each mask.

(There are English YouTube subtitles avaliable for this video.)

• More Deadpool Hijinks with Wade taking over Manchester United, plus a showdown with a certain football star he made fun of in the last movie...

• So I just found out that Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks of playing Mysterio in Spider Man Homecoming 2.

• Hey fellas, I'm currently writing the script to a big ol MCU review series of videos and I'm on Age of Ultron right now, and I kinda wanna get a general consensus. For those of you who love Age of Ultron, why do you love it and what elements of it stand out to you? For those of you who hate it, what are some criticisms you personally have of it? I find that AoU is a very divisive movie that a lot of people are split on, so if I can get perspectives from both sides that'd be great.

• edited June 2018

What I liked:
    * I like it mostly because of how the Avengers interact with each other, especially during the party and the barn.
    * Everything to do with the Barton household.
    * While I agree that Ultron was ultimately a disappointing villain (I get that he has part of Stark in him but he was too jokey), he has some pretty great lines and I really liked how betrayed he looked when Wanda and Pietro turn on him.
    * Vision was great in it as well (the Mjolnir scene and him dealing with Ultron).
    * Also Civil War improves the movie for me considering what Tony and the Avengers go through that leads into the Sokovia Accords.
    * Pietro's death I thought was well done. Honestly thought that Hawkeye was gonna get it.
    * I really enjoyed the Battle of Sokovia. Cap and Hawkeye have some great lines.

What I disliked:
    * Too many Whedon jokes. Most infamous to me being "Beep beep." I hate that line.
    * That Thor bathing, especially after having seen Ragnarok, makes no sense.
    * Ultron was disappointing.
    * I barely remember anything that happened in Korea.
    * Pietro's accent.. wasn't great.

Hey fellas, I'm currently writing the script to a big ol MCU review series of videos and I'm on Age of Ultron right now, and I kinda wanna g

• Are you not old enough to go by yourself??

I really need to see that. Too bad no one ever has the time to take me to the movies ;-;

• Spiderman 1(2002),2(2004)and 3(2007) will ALWAYS be BETTER than any spiderman movie after them.
    Tobey McGuire will ALWAYS be the BEST Peter Parker/Spiderman. AAAAAALWAAAAAAYSSSSS

• edited June 2018

Spoderman 3 is a film about layers, on the surface it is your typical super hero blockbuster with cutting edge special effects but upon further viewing you realise this is merely a facade in an attempt to placate broader audiences. Spoderman 3 did something revolutionary most, super hero movies either tell the origin story or a story about super heroes coming to work together as a team. However Spoderman 3 shatters expectation by giving us the fall of a hero rather than the rise.

Cosmic_Boy posted: »

Spiderman 1(2002),2(2004)and 3(2007) will ALWAYS be BETTER than any spiderman movie after them. Tobey McGuire will ALWAYS be the BEST Peter Parker/Spiderman. AAAAAALWAAAAAAYSSSSS

• So, Benedict Cumberbatch just stopped a real life crime. Link to it is here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jun/02/benedict-cumberbatch-saves-deliveroo-cyclist-london

• He really is Dr Stephen Strange.

protocol115 posted: »

So, Benedict Cumberbatch just stopped a real life crime. Link to it is here: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jun/02/benedict-cumberbatch-saves-deliveroo-cyclist-london

• i see we're still holding the argument that 2 goofy scenes dictate the quality of the whole movie.

Spoderman 3 is a film about layers, on the surface it is your typical super hero blockbuster with cutting edge special effects but upon furt

• edited June 2018

Just saw Deadpool 2 tonight. It was great! Not perfect, it had improvements over the first movie, some moments weren't so good, but I was genuinely surprised as to how much fun I had, and what this movie offered.
    I rewatched the first movie a few weeks ago, so I had a better sense of the connecting ties and thematic elements between the two.

What I liked/stood out to me:

• I think it achieved its goal of being a badass "family film".
    • Comedy was wonderful. A lot of the jokes hit for me, and they were really great.
    • The callbacks to jokes of the first movie was superb. ("4 or 5 moments", "the X-Men manor is still empty", "his head looks like an avocado...", "the skeeball coin", "the baby hand")
    • All those shots at Logan, X-Men, and the greater Marvel and DC cinematic universe. :kissing_heart:
    • The marketing team, writers, actors, and general filmmakers and editors did a really great job in playing with expectations. The trailers were great, looking back at them. The movie subverted expectations in just the right way. The trailers made me think the whole movie was about stopping Cable from killing Russell, the scenes were used in such an order you had no idea bad things were happening in them. It was just action at at face value. It set up jokes, only to change them in the final product. Some lines were cut, changed, or scenes were made exclusively for the trailer (like "They won't even make a 3. Stop at 2, you did it.")
    • Opening Credits were wonderful. A Bond-style opening video, and the omission of everyone's names.

What I didn't like:

• I do think there was an overabundance of jokes. Particularly during/right after dramatic moments. When Vanessa died, I think we shouldn't have gotten those silly opening credits soon after. Yes, it made fun of how his love life just died, but it felt wrong to be laughing at that. Also, Deadpool's death at the end. Undercut with too many jokes. It also felt wrong to chuckle there.
    • Some jokes went on for too long, some weren't needed. The baby legs and.. other nether regions, yeah no. DP's long, long death. "You're from the future? 3 questions: [nothing related to how or who Cable is]."
    • Dopinder was really snubbed in this film. I rooted for him the whole way, I thought he'd be the sidekick.
    • The pacing was a bit fast. One thing after another.

Now to lookup what all those things a non-comic reader, and non-watcher of the original X-Men movies and that Wolverine Origins movie like myself means. I totally didn't get many of those references... only vaguely.
    I should really get on that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now I understand the significance of Ryan Reynolds singing "Tomorrow" on that Korean Singing show.

• New trailer for Luke Cage S2

To be honest, I completely forgot it's releasing so soon.

• Y'know I'm debating whether or not to keep watching Marvel movie trailers anymore.

With the ever-increasing interconnectedness of the films, I have to admit that it would have been a lot better had they kept some big reveals that fans would love a secret. Some recent ones have been spoiled too much by trailers, and I'd like future ones to remain a secret to me.
    My sister recently got her friend interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She ended up watching each of the 18 movies (save Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 2), and enjoyed them all! We haven't been able to schedule a meetup for Infinity War, but hopefully soon. Hopefully....

Anyway, since she was only watching the movies and not the trailers, the big reveals that occurred in recent films really delighted her. Spider-Man appearing in Civil War, Iron Man being a key mentor in Homecoming, both Doctor Strange and Hulk appearing in Thor Ragnarok...
    I've been thinking: Man, that must be a cool feeling to have.

I probably won't not watch it since it'd kill me to do so, but I'd like to try. Question is, which one to start?
    Captain Marvel? (I have no clue what that movie will be about so going in blind might be really fun.)
    Avengers 4? (Oooh, that's a tough one. I don't know if I'd be able to resist. The payoff would be wonderful though. Complete surprise to any teamups and big fighting events.)

I don't know... it's either "risk getting slightly spoiled by trailers but going in knowing what you paid for" or "avoid any hint of a trailer, paranoid it'll be behind every corner and before every movie, knowing you're missing out on all the hot new conversations, but having a wonderful feeling of enlightenment by the time you leave the theater."

• I'd say skip the Avengers 4 trailer. It'll be painful, but if you're gonna skip any of them it might as well be the big one.

Y'know I'm debating whether or not to keep watching Marvel movie trailers anymore. With the ever-increasing interconnectedness of the fil

• Avengers 4 trailer is going to be so difficult to skip...

lupinb0y posted: »

I'd say skip the Avengers 4 trailer. It'll be painful, but if you're gonna skip any of them it might as well be the big one.

• Only the strong willed may be able to do it... and I am not one of them. I need that trailer like I need oxygen.

Avengers 4 trailer is going to be so difficult to skip...

• edited June 2018

Tom Holland reveals next Spider-Man movie is called 'Far From Home'.

The 2019 sequel also stars Jake Gyllenhaal as the villain Mysterio.

Sounds cool. Mysterio in a live-action movie? Yeaaaaahhh!!! (Things might get Doctor Strange-y.)

• It'd be awesome if he goes to Doctor Strange for help against Mysterio because he thinks it's magic.

Tom Holland reveals next Spider-Man movie is called 'Far From Home'. The 2019 sequel also stars Jake Gyllenhaal as the villain Mysterio. Sounds cool. Mysterio in a live-action movie? Yeaaaaahhh!!! (Things might get Doctor Strange-y.)

• not gonna lie, the new ant man movie looks super boring.

• It's funny how Marvel is getting Tom Holland to reveal all of this stuff "by accident", first he revealed the Avengers Infinity War poster "by accident" and now the title for the new Spider-Man movie. I'm honestly not sure if I should believe any of this, it's kinda sketchy that Tom Holland is holding an Ipad that has the whole logo and everything for the new Spider-Man movie so I wouldn't say he did it by accident, but rather "by accident". Kevin Feige has stated in the past that Spider-Man Far From Home (Spider-Man 2) will take Peter out of Queens and possibly even out to other country's, I am personally expecting the main villain to be Mac Gargan as The Scorpion since he did make an appearance in Homecoming, he will possibly even fight Spider-Man along side The Vulture since we did see him with Adrian Toomes in the end credits scene for Homecoming. I would love to see Mysterio but I have a feeling that he wont be included because he doesn't fit the plot at this point.

Tom Holland reveals next Spider-Man movie is called 'Far From Home'. The 2019 sequel also stars Jake Gyllenhaal as the villain Mysterio. Sounds cool. Mysterio in a live-action movie? Yeaaaaahhh!!! (Things might get Doctor Strange-y.)

• I think it started out as Tom revealing stuff by accident but they just decided to turn it into a running joke and have him "accidentally" reveal stuff.

Also I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that the main antagonist this time will be Mysterio, played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

Tazmangamez posted: »

It's funny how Marvel is getting Tom Holland to reveal all of this stuff "by accident", first he revealed the Avengers Infinity War poster "

• Mysterio is confirmed, however Jake Gyllenhall is only in talks with Marvel to play the role.

I think it started out as Tom revealing stuff by accident but they just decided to turn it into a running joke and have him "accidentally" r

• Just finished the 10th episode Luke Cage season 2 and goddamn they really pulled all the stops for this. I'm really enjoying it. This seems to be the season to break the second half curse most of the Marvel Netflix shows have been experiencing.

• edited June 2018

I have finished watching Luke Cage Season 2, I gotta say, this is the best Season 2 of the Marvel Netflix so far. I really enjoyed watching this season. It was definitely a great improvement over Season 1, which I thought had some boring and padding moments (Especially the second half).

I also liked how they wrote Iron Fist in the episode you just watched. Looking forward to seeing him in Season 2.

Just finished the 10th episode Luke Cage season 2 and goddamn they really pulled all the stops for this. I'm really enjoying it. This seems to be the season to break the second half curse most of the Marvel Netflix shows have been experiencing.

• Yeah Iron Fist is the best he's ever been so far and I really wish he appeared in more than just the one episode. This has me pretty excited for the second season of his show.

I have finished watching Luke Cage Season 2, I gotta say, this is the best Season 2 of the Marvel Netflix so far. I really enjoyed watching

• Aaand I have finished Luke Cage season 2. I thought it was great! I really liked what they did with Luke at the end and I'm really excited to see how they continue his story.

• edited June 2018

Ant Man and The Wasp is getting fairly average reviews. I expected it to do better to be honest. I think that people are getting fatigued of Marvel, I can't see the MCU living past around 2022.

At the end of the day, there are only so many characters and crossovers you can make.

• ...Maybe?
    Personally, I don't really think so.

It's probably just because it's an average movie, or it came at the worst time possible: 2 months after the biggest Marvel movie ever made, and prior to that we had the great Black Panther and rockin' Thor Ragnarok.

I don't really think Ant-Man holds a big superhero candle to those last three movies. It was mostly supposed to be a heist movie with Superheroes thrown in, much like Winter Soldier was supposed to be an espionage movie with Superheroes thrown in or Black Panther was The Lion King with superheroes thrown in (heh, kinda).
    I liked the first one, I think I'll like this one, but I don't think it'll be anything super-duper special.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Ant Man and The Wasp is getting fairly average reviews. I expected it to do better to be honest. I think that people are getting fatigued of

• Yea, I'm not really sure why they chose to release it after the arguably 2 biggest MCU movies and before the potentially highest grossing one.

...Maybe? Personally, I don't really think so. It's probably just because it's an average movie, or it came at the worst time possible:

• In other news...
    This was one great HISHE. Subverted the ending in a nice way. (though I can't say it made me feel better)

• Looking back, the first Ant-Man movie was also fairly simple and formatic. It was a heist movie, plain and simple. I remember leaving the cinema thinking it was fun but not super good. So maybe it will be the same here.

On the other hand, I thought Ant-Man being in Civil War was amazing. Maybe his character work best as a supporting hero?

...Maybe? Personally, I don't really think so. It's probably just because it's an average movie, or it came at the worst time possible:

• Fatigued of Marvel? Cmon, every year people say this, and every year the result is the same, it continues to increase.

Last year each MCU movie made 800+ million. This year, they’ve already made 3 billion in revenue and most likely are crossing into the 4 billion territory. It’s obvious now, “fatigue” isn’t gonna happen so long as they keep making good movies at a consistent rate. Look at Justice League, budget of around 300 and made less than 700 million. Fant4stic flatout bombed. When a movie is made that the audience rejects/react lukewarm to, it reflects.

To answer your question though, it was released at the time it was because it’s meant to be the “relief” film so to speak. Considering how IW concluded, doesn’t hurt to have that little chapter in between that explores a concept that’ll almost without doubt play a role in the next avengers movie

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Ant Man and The Wasp is getting fairly average reviews. I expected it to do better to be honest. I think that people are getting fatigued of

• I saw the video yesterday and thought it was awesome and really funny. If the rumors are true and The Avengers do go back in time, then I hope that part when Nebula kills Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is in Avengers 4, just like in the HISHE video. Nebula killing Thanos would be so unexpected, Thanos being betrayed and killed by his own Daughter would scar him for life. Plus, I don't think anybody would be able to kill Thanos without the Infinity Gauntlet, somebody is going to have to steal it off him in order to put a stop to his chaos.

In other news... This was one great HISHE. Subverted the ending in a nice way. (though I can't say it made me feel better)

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2018

"Fatigued of Marvel? Cmon, every year people say this, and every year the result is the same, it continues to increase."

I still like Marvel movies too, but to play Devil's Advocate, I'd say the recent successes are largely because newer movies are riding on the hype of Infinity War and Avengers 4, where people want to see how the recent movies will soon tie into the events of those two movies. Not many people are going to yet jump off the Marvel Studios train when Infinity War is still fresh in people's minds, and when Avengers 4 still needs to conclude that Thanos storyline.

I think that once the dust has settled from Infinity War/Avengers 4 and the storylines have wrapped up, the new movies will need to focus more on speaking for themselves instead of riding on the hype of setting up events for Infinity War/Avengers 4. The performance of the movies that need to "speak for themselves" will be a better indication of when Marvel fatigue is gonna set in.

Fatigued of Marvel? Cmon, every year people say this, and every year the result is the same, it continues to increase. Last year each MCU

• I can see what you’re saying, but Thing is, of the last 4 movies before infinity war, only 1 truly tied into it, and that’s Thor Ragnarok. Spider-Man Homecoming didn’t set up events for Infinity War, neither did Black Panther, nor Guardians Vol. 2. Heck, between the movies that tied into Infinity War and ones that didn’t, it’s perfectly balanced at 3 for each side. What really drove these movies to the success that they had (in particular last year being the first time they had 3 straight 800+ million movies) is the phenomenal word of mouth they received. It can’t really ride on the infinity war hype when they’re standalone on their own. Ant-Man and Wasp definitely is being used to ride the infinity war hype though. It’s essentially a “relief film” with ties into what A4 will most likely be about (the Quantum Realm in particular looks like it’ll be extremely important)

"Fatigued of Marvel? Cmon, every year people say this, and every year the result is the same, it continues to increase." I still lik

• edited July 2018

So Steve Ditko is f***ing dead. That makes me sad.
    Rest in Peace Steve.

Steve Ditko, Co-Creator of Spider-Man, Legendary Comics Artist dead at 90

Now the only Spider-Man creator we have left is Stan Lee... And he's 95... I'm not ready for this.

• ant man and the wasp was average. maybe i've been spoiled rotten because 4 of the last 5 mcu movies i watched were all stellar and completely unique and original in every way, and now we get this movie that isn't bad in any sense but is just... average. it's a standard fare summer action flick with ok cinematography, ok acting, ok score and an ok villain. the final 20 minutes were the best part but overall? meh. not really even disappointed because i thought i wasn't gonna enjoy it anyway, but still wish they did more with the concept. 4/10 i guess.

also about 5 minutes before the movie started the person i went with told me steve ditko died so yeah seeing what was supposed to be a fun light hearted blockbuster after hearing that one of my childhood heroes fucking died was an overall negative experience. i'm really sad and i'm going to bed.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.