Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• They liked Alita much better than Captain Marvel.

AronDracula posted: »

Well, according to the audience score, they liked Alita much better than Captain Marvel.

Well, according to the audience score, they liked Alita much better than Captain Marvel.

• Kinda helps when the movie is being review bombed.

• edited March 2019

I thought Alita was a bit more entertaining due to its fight scenes but Captain Marvel is much better written and better acted (no Hugo to hold anybody back).

I don't understand why some fans of Alita are trying to compete against Captain Marvel so aggressively. Why is this a thing? I don't see any correlation between the two movies other than them both having female protagonists.

Dex-Starr posted: »

Anyone here see Alita: Battle Angel AND Captain Marvel? Which is better (more entertaining)?

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited March 2019

Most of them aren’t really Alita fans, they’re just telling people to go see it because of the statements she made about 40 year old white men. I root for Alita because I feel like not many people would be willing to give it a chance. I did and I really liked it despite what it lacks.

lupinb0y posted: »

I thought Alita was a bit more entertaining due to its fight scenes but Captain Marvel is much better written and better acted (no Hugo to h

• Most of them aren’t really Alita fans, they’re just telling people to go see it because of the statements she made about 40 year old white men.

Goddammit internet.

I root for Alita because I feel like not many people would be willing to give it a chance. I did and I really liked it despite what it lacks.

It seems to be doing alright so far, enough to justify the 16 year development hell it went through at least. I'm surprised it's not a bigger thing in China, especially with all the big flashy fight scenes.

Most of them aren’t really Alita fans, they’re just telling people to go see it because of the statements she made about 40 year old white m

• Marvel fans who hate Brie Larson are saying they’re going to watch Alita instead, and are telling others to do the same. The thing is, none of them were saying to go see Alita instead of Captain Marvel BEFORE Brie made those statements. If they were truly Alita fans, like myself, they would’ve planned to see Alita from the beginning. I mean, if them going to see Alita and telling everyone to do the same instead of going to see Captain Marvel means more money for Alita, then i’m all for it. I just don’t like that the fact that Alita is being boosted because of the hate towards captain Marvel.

Most of them aren’t really Alita fans, they’re just telling people to go see it because of the statements she made about 40 year old white m

• edited March 2019

I went and watched Captain Marvel again with another group of friends and I actually liked it more the second time around.

Again, Carol and Fury are great, they have really good chemistry and I hope to see this again in future movies, Ben Mendelson as Talos is once again a standout, just a very well written character, and Goose is absolutely adorable. While Coulson isn't in the movie much it's nice to see him again. The fight scenes were really cool looking, especially the big one towards the end, and Carol gets a really nice cathartic moment towards the climax similar to that of the Wonder Woman trench run but done in a much different way. There are a few twists and turns that I also really enjoyed however there may be one that not everyone will accept however minor it is in the grand scheme of things. Also I love the helmet mohawk, it just looks really cool to me.

The first time I saw it I complained about the lighting at the beginning and end of the movie however I think that might have just been an issue with the projection at the time because things were much for visible this time around. However as I said previously, some of the fight scenes suffer from quick cuts and motion blur. The first quarter of the movie is still pretty rough and things don't really start moving till a bit after they get to Earth.

It's really grown on me and in my opinion would be a really great movie if not for the lacklustre opening. Either way I'm pretty excited to see what Carol will be doing with the gang in Endgame and her future in the MCU!

• AVENGERS: ENDGAME TRAILER WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• edited March 2019

WOOOOO!! FULL TRAILER, BABY!
    (and dammit I'm in class right now)

For future reference: is it spoilerish for Captain Marvel? Haven't seen that one yet, but hopefully will this weekend.

AVENGERS: ENDGAME TRAILER WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• Haven't seen Captain Marvel either and there were no spoilers for that.

AChicken posted: »

WOOOOO!! FULL TRAILER, BABY! (and dammit I'm in class right now) For future reference: is it spoilerish for Captain Marvel? Haven't seen that one yet, but hopefully will this weekend.

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited March 2019

Not a personal attack towards anyone specific, but

Why do the majority of you flock to see anything with “Marvel Studios” slapped across it when most of you aren’t actual Marvel fans? I don’t understand how you could willingly be hyped to see any Marvel movie you know NOTHING about prior to it’s reveal. I just don’t understand the need to hop on the Marvel bandwagon

• edited March 2019

...Because we like their movies??
    They've had a long track record of offering entertaining superhero movies, and if you like that, then great!
    I don't think it's so much that the movies have the Marvel Studios logo on them, but moreso that we watch them -- even movies on lesser-known heroes -- because of that reputation they've amassed based on crafting stories for them.

If you went up to my 8 year old self and told him if I'd enjoy seeing characters like Doctor Strange, The Guardians, or Black Panther, I'd say no. But due to how well developed and easily they've introduced these characters to comic novices like me, they're now on my list of favourite heroes.

Bonus point: it's also probably because they end up being required to watch to understand the character better when the big team-up movie comes along.

P.S.: not sure how you think people go into these things blind. We get trailers and posters like any other movie, so we'd be as "Blind" as anyone was when it comes to a new movie.
    Heck, I'm more blind for CM than I am for any other Marvel film. I trust them and their storytelling enough that I've steered clear from any trailers that come my way for this film, and want to see the things on screen as if they're the first time I do, not anticipating any action scenes or funny banter...
    As for Avengers, nah. I can't outrun the hype train on that one.

Not a personal attack towards anyone specific, but Why do the majority of you flock to see anything with “Marvel Studios” slapped across

• I don't think it's so much that the movies have the Marvel Studios logo on them

Then why do MCU fans think Disney's Spider-Man is far beyond Sony's original Spider-Man? Spider-Man 1 and 2 were the best ones of all time yet you have these MCU fans shitting on them like Homecoming was good.

But due to how well developed and easily they've introduced these characters to comic novices like me, they're now on my list of favourite heroes.

That's the thing though. Who's reading the comics and doing their own research to build their own hype? Only actual Marvel fans. They're the only ones who I don't look at as people riding bandwagons because they were fans before the Marvel come-up. If you weren't a fan before the come-up, you're not a real one now, you're just part of the bandwagon

We get trailers and posters like any other movie

Disney owns most of everything, so you'll see 30 of their movie's ads before you see one not owned by them

...Because we like their movies?? They've had a long track record of offering entertaining superhero movies, and if you like that, then gr

• Then why do MCU fans think Disney's Spider-Man is far beyond Sony's original Spider-Man?

Because people have opinions. IMO, it's a good updated, younger take on the character. The Raimi Spider-Man is a faithful comic-book adaptation since it oozes cheese and goofy dialogue. I personally enjoy both versions and think both have their merits.

That's the thing though. Who's reading the comics and doing their own research to build their own hype?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's not like you have to understand the source material to be able to truly enjoy the movie. They don't have to go hand in hand. And they don't literally go hand in hand. The MCU films are to comics what other films are to books. The films are still an adaptation of the source material, cutting things out and editing points where it needs streamlining or wants to differentiate itself.
    The hype for the movies are for the movies, not the comics. You can be an MCU fan and not be a fan of the comics, vice-versa, or both at once.

If you weren't a fan before the come-up, you're not a real one now, you're just part of the bandwagon

Pffft. Really? So, is there no such thing as being a 'casual fan' of something? Do the numbers 2-9 not exist on the 1-10 scale of "Marvel Fan"?
    I've read a few issues of Spider-Man or Wolverine or the Fantastic Four in the past, but the lack of knowledge on that material shouldn't discredit my own views on being a fan of the films.

Disney owns most of everything, so you'll see 30 of their movie's ads before you see one not owned by them

Then unfortunately that's up to the independant or smaller film's job to get their trailers and marketing material out there. Build a name for themselves, get in touch with a good studio.
    A24 comes to mind in terms of recent, unexpected new movie studios. They've been putting out great films.

I don't think it's so much that the movies have the Marvel Studios logo on them Then why do MCU fans think Disney's Spider-Man is fa

• I've read a few issues of Spider-Man or Wolverine or the Fantastic Four in the past, but the lack of knowledge on that material shouldn't discredit my own views on being a fan of the films.

I’m talking about the people who only know the names of characters but barely know the characters themselves, and get super hyped up at the sound of them getting a movie . To many, they are not Marvel fans, they’re MCU fans who label themselves as Marvel fans.

Pffft. Really? So, is there no such thing as being a 'casual fan' of something? Do the numbers 2-9 not exist on the 1-10 scale of "Marvel Fan”?

When you only know the movies and nothing of anything prior to that, you’re hardly a “Marvel Fan”.

Then why do MCU fans think Disney's Spider-Man is far beyond Sony's original Spider-Man? Because people have opinions. IMO, it's a g

• When you only know the movies and nothing of anything prior to that, you’re hardly a “Marvel Fan”. […] To many, they are not Marvel fans, they’re MCU fans who label themselves as Marvel fans.

Sure. MCU fan. That's not the same as being a "Marvel Fan" i.e.: a Marvel Comics fan. I agree.
    ...but one could still make the argument that they're considered a 'Marvel Fan By Proxy', especially after experiencing and watching 20+ movies of theirs.
    However, yes, doesn't make much sense for someone to be a fan of something they don't even know about. Like, I'm excited for Captain Marvel, but I don't know if I'd consider myself to be a "fan" of hers since I haven't seen a lick of film footage or comics of what she does.

...Why are you bringing up these "fake Marvel fans"? Because I can't say I've heard or seen many of them. Being a fan of a property you know nothing about, yeah it's weird but I can't say I've seen much of it, especially related to Marvel.

I've read a few issues of Spider-Man or Wolverine or the Fantastic Four in the past, but the lack of knowledge on that material shouldn't di

• So I finally saw Captain Marvel, and it’s...serviceable. It’s not a bad movie, it’s enjoyable and all, but not a standout movie. It’s certainly no where near the upper echelons of the MCU (Iron Man, Civil War, Black Panther), but it’s definitely not in the bottom either (Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor 2). And honestly, I’m surprised I found it that good considering how the trailers didn’t impress me, Brie Larson isn’t the most charismatic actress ever, and she has been such a bitch in the marketing of this movie.

The characters were fine, there are some nice callbacks to other movies, and it establishes the character for Endgame. However, like I said, Larson just wasn’t the best choice, she has like zero personality and is pretty stoic throughout (which isn’t that good considering how her supposed flaw is that she lets her emotions get the best of her, which is extremely hammered into us). Speaking of hammering in, as it is Marvel’s first female super hero, they do, at times, go full out with the feminist message, in ways that aren’t the most subtle or well executed. And no, this is not because I’m some women hating anti-feminist, especially since some of my favorite characters in all of fiction are women (Clementine, Carol from TWD, Katara from Avatar, Rayla from The Dragon Prince, Mariam and Laila from A Thousand Splendid Suns to name a few), and I loved Wonder Woman. The reason why WW succeeds is that it’s a movie that is empowering with its message, but doesn’t beat you over the head with it, it handles it with grace and nuance, Captain Marvel doesn’t really have that.

Like I said, it’s fine and if you like the MCU, you’ll enjoy yourself, but it’s not the most memorable MCU movie out there.

• Have you also seen Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse? Cause I don't think I heard you talk about it.

So I finally saw Captain Marvel, and it’s...serviceable. It’s not a bad movie, it’s enjoyable and all, but not a standout movie. It’s certai

• I did, the movie was amazing

Have you also seen Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse? Cause I don't think I heard you talk about it.

• Pipas posted: »

James Gunn is back! https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1106616493070942210

• Holy shit! A huge surprise but a welcome one.

Pipas posted: »

• This finally came in the mail. Looks really good!
    I have yet to frame it and put it up on my wall. It's also glow-in-the-dark, too, but I'll review that aspect later when it's ready and soaked up with light.

• That’s great news. While the stuff he said I don’t think anyone can say was funny or appropriate, for him to be fired over what he said over a decade ago, which was clearly not a reflection of who he is or what he believes, was wrong, and I am sick and tired of this practice of people trying to dig up 10, 15, 20, etc. year old stuff and use it as a club against someone. They did it to Gunn, they did it to Kevin Hart (and he lost his job hosting the Oscars because of it), they did it to some baseball pitcher (unfortunately, I forget who, but it was over some stupid things he tweeted when he was in college), they did it to Joy Reid, and most recently with Tucker Carlson. This practice, used by both sides, is infuriating and ridiculous.

Pipas posted: »

• Well, I saw Captain Marvel last night. I officially say that I'm now a fan of her.

I'd say this was an above-average movie. It wasn't the best, wasn't the worst. It's on an Ant-Man level.
    Fun movie plot. Fun time period. Fun mystery.

Didn't see any trailers so I was pretty surprised with a lot of good stuff.
    Stuff:

• First of all, 11/10 Marvel Studios logo variant. Long live Stan Lee's cameos.
    • Didn't expect this to start off in space. Thought it'd be more of an origin where she has to juggle being an airforce pilot and defeating baddies with her new powers.
    • The inclusion of Korath (GOTG intro raider) and Ronan later on were interesting details to add.
    • Opening shot of 90's Earth being a Blockbuster... Heh cool.
      However I think by the end the callbacks were a bit overused. (Look at this old Search Engine! Look at this OVERSIZED MAP! Remember when computers were SLOW??)

• The idea of this film being a mysterious hunt for shapeshifting beings was interesting. Had me second-guessing every character who came on screen.

• The fight scenes and dramatic action in this movie are good, however I don't think there's enough reaction from actors. During Carol's escape pod crash, I don't think she gave much reaction or scream to try and keep a hold of the pod. She just grunted when the floor gave way and she fell. Later in the Subway fight, many of the civilians tried to break it up -- as they should in that situation -- but there wasn't much of a verbal reaction from them. It was just a series of punches and grunts from people.
    • A lot of the soundtrack is sci-fi synth. I like it

• Not sure if that Carol being brainwashed was supposed to be a twist because I saw that coming before she even came to Earth. That memory recorder scene gave it all away what with the human-earth memories and the one line "they really did a number on ya...".
    • About Brie's 'stiff' acting... Eh, I thought it was fine. Yes, she's pretty stoic and reverts quickly back to 'serious face mode' after a joke or laugh, but it kind of fits the movie. Might even be intentional. She's trained to be this serious warrior, where if "you use your emotions, you become vulnerable". I think that after she finds out that she [spoiler] then she looses up a bit more.

• While a lot of the licensed songs are good choices, and I enjoy them. One of them was really not needed and rubbed me the wrong way.

• That one fight scene in the laboratory where they play No Doubt's 'Just a Girl'. There was no point in the movie that I questioned the fact that Brie Larson or Carol Danvers was a superhero. Not once. But for some reason, Marvel decided to shove the message down our throats anyway that she's not 'just a girl' and can do cool superhero moves like anyone else. Like, I don't need that! I know already!
      • The moment in the final battle where Danvers faces off against her mentor, then the epic music cuts out and he wants to fight her one-on-one so she can 'prove herself'... I nearly groaned there, baffled at what the writers wanted to be the epic last battle. Nope. She used her super fists and blasted him away. Good job. Thank goodness.
    • Final Point: Goose is the best.

Captain Marvel is powerful. Holy Crap she's a big one. Can't wait for her to save the day in A4.

Mid-credits: Yay Endgame clip!
    End-Credits: Solved a question I asked myself as the credits rolled. 'How did the Tesseract get from the Floogle' s belly to SHIELD's possession at the beginning of Avengers 1?' Yay continuity.

P.S. Coulson is the real MVP. Wish he was in this more. Glad to see him back for a bit.

• edited March 2019

Damn good video that covers many if not most of the hidden details of Into the Spider-Verse. I've known of quite a few, but apparently there are so many tiny, little things in the background that you're not supposed to see unless you stop and look for it. Wow.

• I’d like to point out a huge infinity war flaw that rlly annoys me, not within the movie itself, but when it comes to fan bases. You always have people complaining about the slightest mistakes or things they dislike in movies and video games, but let’s just think about how Dr Strange straight up gave away the time stone rather than turning back time to heal Tony and just reverse himself to the point before thanos got the first stone. Not to mention that fact that he had the cheek to say “there was no other way” yes there fecken was!

It kinda annoys me that nobody is talking about this, which is a major flaw, but apparently smaller flaws are enough to make a movie/game seem terrible. It’s sooo unfair

• Avengers: Endgame is reportedly set to be 3 hours and 2 minutes long, judging by many recent movie theater listings of Endgame being set to have a length of 3hrs2min.

• You won't believe this but I watched Into The Spider-Verse MORE than 5 times and it's the first movie that I watched more than once since I think Home Alone. Is it because I'm a Spidey fanboy or because this movie's quality is top notch? I even watched it more than the previous Spider-Man movies, even the Raimi trilogy. It's just soooooo good!!!

• An Endgame "Special Look" is out! It's pretty much a new trailer.

• edited April 2019

I don't know WHO did it, and I don't know WHAT it's about. All I know is that Endgame spoilers have leaked and the internet has gone into Defcon 2. Dear God I'm gonna be on edge now...

Stay frosty people. 10 days. That's all you need to survive (unless your tickets are for a later date, like me).

'Massive' Endgame spoilers have leaked
    PSA: Be Careful Out There

• edited April 2019

The first 20 minutes of the movie was screened privately so it might be that. However the way the articles are written have me thinking that it may be a bit more severe than that.

EDIT

NEVERMIND IT'S AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS.

I don't know WHO did it, and I don't know WHAT it's about. All I know is that Endgame spoilers have leaked and the internet has gone into De

• edited April 2019

IT'S MORE DANGEROUS THAN I THOUGHT.

I heard it doesn't spoil the ending but it spoils a dozen big ones throughout the film as a big clip montage.

So again, people: DO NOT watch the leak.

The first 20 minutes of the movie was screened privately so it might be that. However the way the articles are written have me thinking that it may be a bit more severe than that. EDIT NEVERMIND IT'S AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS.

• there's a delicious 2-minute TV spot out today though. Full of Nostalgiaaaa...

• edited April 2019

Supposedly one of the people working on the Arabic dubbing/subtitles was the one behind the leak. Apparently the idiot actually left his Snapchat tag on it too so it's only a matter of time before he's caught if this is true.

IT'S MORE DANGEROUS THAN I THOUGHT. I heard it doesn't spoil the ending but it spoils a dozen big ones throughout the film as a big clip montage. So again, people: DO NOT watch the leak.

• The cast members did an MCU version of 'We Didn't Start the Fire' and it is magical.

• edited April 2019

Going to go watch captain Marvel tomorrow, and end game the day after that. I know people say that captain marvel is mediocre, but lbh those comments are mostly from people who hate Brie Larson. Idc if the actress is an asshole, if I go in and enjoy the movie then cool, if not then oh shit.

• Endgame spoilers

Rigghttt in the feels! This movie was probably better than infinity war, no, it WAS better than infinity war. It was full of nostalgia, references, funny moments that nearly quite literally killed me, when Hulk dabbed, which I never thought I’d ever see, I’ve never cringed as well as laughed so hard in my entire life. The final battle was awesome, my expectations were subverted when Captain America actually survived; I really never did expect him to come out of this alive considering Chris Evans left the role, despite Iron Man’s death being spoiled for me I still never saw it coming, even after Thanos got Thanos snapped and he was stumbling around, barely clinging to life, I still didn’t see his death coming, and that’s why it was done so well.

This movie is a 10/10 would do again, you should definitely go see it

• The entire battle at the end is the greatest comic book movie thing I have ever seen. When Cap picked up Mjolnir the audience cheered like there was no tomorrow.

Melton23 posted: »

Endgame spoilers (Spoiler) This movie is a 10/10 would do again, you should definitely go see it

Sign in to comment in this discussion.