Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• ant man and the wasp was average.

4/10

Bruh do you work for IGN?

ant man and the wasp was average. maybe i've been spoiled rotten because 4 of the last 5 mcu movies i watched were all stellar and completel

• no. contrary to popular belief a 1-10 rating scale differs between people and opinions on the film industry as a whole vary from consumer to consumer. while some people may consider a 6/10 for example to be an awful rating, i consider it to be quite good. the way i view it is:

1- garbage, no enjoyment to be found, no redeeming factors
    2- you did these 2-4 things kind of well but overall joyless experience
    3- tolerable but nowhere near even decent
    4- average at best
    5- above average, high points and low points.
    6- good. lots of nice things about it, some flaws drag it down
    7- great. while there are flaws, the good outshines it enough to be ignored
    8- fantastic. succeeds where most films do not. not perfect, but super good
    9- exceptional. does a lot of unique, interesting and wonderful things. hardly any flaws.
    10- one of a kind, flawless, a piece of high art.

ant man and the wasp was a VERY average movie. hence a 4/10. it wasn't good but it wasn't bad. i enjoyed myself sometimes but overall didn't like the film.

lupinb0y posted: »

ant man and the wasp was average. 4/10 Bruh do you work for IGN?

• edited July 2018

Wasn’t trying to argue against your rating for anything, I’ve just honestly never heard someone say a four was an average so forgive me if I sounded a bit condescending (‘twas my attempt at a joke) :P

I’m too used to a six being an average score.

no. contrary to popular belief a 1-10 rating scale differs between people and opinions on the film industry as a whole vary from consumer to

• fair enough. i didn't think you were trying to argue against the rating more than i was explaining how i go about rating a film.

Wasn’t trying to argue against your rating for anything, I’ve just honestly never heard someone say a four was an average so forgive me if I sounded a bit condescending (‘twas my attempt at a joke) :P I’m too used to a six being an average score.

• I actually thought that Steve Ditko had already died, apparently not. Stan Lee is now officially the finale Spider-Man creator and he isn't in the same state as he was a couple of years back, I used to love seeing how Stan Lee was still busy creating new Super Heroes all the time, he actually planned a Latin one, a Chinese one and an Indian one, however I don't exactly know what became of them. I do know that he released an animated movie which featured himself (Stan Lee) alongside a group of Super Heroes (The Mighty Seven) I actually got to see the movie and it was pretty entertaining. There was even an Iphone game featuring Stan Lee as some sort of a commander and you woud play as a new Super Hero called Verticus, the gameplay style was all about free falling and collecting tokens, I constantly fail at the game and can never get a decent score. Steve Ditko has passed away now and of course Stan Lee isn't as active as he once was, it all just makes me wonder about who the next Marvel "Leader" will be.

AChicken posted: »

So Steve Ditko is f***ing dead. That makes me sad. Rest in Peace Steve. Steve Ditko, Co-Creator of Spider-Man, Legendary Comics Artist

• Finally saw Ant Man and the Wasp. It was fine. I did not expect it to be great after Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War, but for what it was I liked it.

It definitely set up concepts that might be used in Avengers 4.

• You are so smart copying that text from dunkey`s video!!!

Spoderman 3 is a film about layers, on the surface it is your typical super hero blockbuster with cutting edge special effects but upon furt

• RIP Steve Ditko. The only Spider-Man creator left is the legendary Stan Lee. I hope he makes it until Avengers 4 as a cameo, might happen to be his last Marvel movie cameo.

• I've heard that he's already recorded cameos for the next 4 (now 3?) Marvel movies, y'know, just in case he... [shudder]

AronDracula posted: »

RIP Steve Ditko. The only Spider-Man creator left is the legendary Stan Lee. I hope he makes it until Avengers 4 as a cameo, might happen to be his last Marvel movie cameo.

• I think Avengers 4 would have been a great ending for Stan Lee, I don't think a lot of people will care for Marvel movies after phase 3.

I've heard that he's already recorded cameos for the next 4 (now 3?) Marvel movies, y'know, just in case he... [shudder]

• I feel like a 5 would be more apropriate for an average score, seeing how it is right down the middle. Other than that I agree with your rating criteria, as it is pretty close to my own.

no. contrary to popular belief a 1-10 rating scale differs between people and opinions on the film industry as a whole vary from consumer to

• Watched Ant-Man and The Wasp. I thought it was good, not great, but definitely good!

The humour is good for the most part (there are some misses), more Luis flashbacks, the "villain" is decent, the characters are great (Cassie is so adorable I really hope to see more of her in the future), the action scenes are well choreographed, and they really play with the shrinking and enlarging (which is something I was hoping for).

However, after just coming off of Infinity War it feels a bit jarring considering how goofy it is and how small scale this movie is (this is something that just affects like 10 people in-universe). The story, while it does a few interesting things, isn't really anything special in the grand scheme of things.

Overall while I enjoyed the movie, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. It does do certain things better than the first one though.

Also, as is tradition, stay back for the mid and post-credit scenes as they are relevant to... certain events.

• Saw Ant Man and the Wasp a few days ago. It was good. Not phenomenal, but still good.

There were great comedic moments, I cared for the characters (and found myself rooting for Hank and Hope more than for Scott), and Michael Pena was still really good (he had another storytelling moment which I adored), and the shifting of sizes thing was cool to see again.
    I do think they maybe crammed one too many antagonists in the film, as I found myself silently groaning whenever one of them appeared on screen (but maybe that was the point).

Excited for what comes next!... In March!... Great.

• Ah, by the way, I have to say Taika Watiti did in fact give us the best Marvel Anime. The cinematography and special effects were perfect.

• I think the movie would have worked better if they focused on Ghost as the main villain rather than having FBI agents and the Mafia gangster. If they really needed the heroes to fight goons, maybe have Ghost lead the gangsters instead.

I think the movie would have benefited a lot more if it was smaller and personal in scope. I enjoyed the family stuff and the Quantum Realm.

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp a few days ago. It was good. Not phenomenal, but still good. There were great comedic moments, I cared for the c

• Finally I got the chance to see Avengers Infinity War and I have to say, it's my favorite MCU movie so far, until Avengers 4 I guess. I thought other MCU movies were ok but this one is the best. The ending got me so hard.

I refuse to think Spider-Man died. I mean, come on, he already has a sequel coming.

• edited August 2018

This is a thing that's happening.

They say it's across the US and Canada, so maybe it'll come my way. I've been willing to watch some old ones since Netflix doesn't have so many of them anymore.
    (You can sign up for ticket alerts over here)

• this would totally be worth checking out if the incredible hulk and thor: the dark world got taken out and the guardians movies were back to back

This is a thing that's happening. They say it's across the US and Canada, so maybe it'll come my way. I've been willing to watch s

• I'll probably do my own personal marathon of the movies before Avengers 4 comes out.

RIP my retinas.

This is a thing that's happening. They say it's across the US and Canada, so maybe it'll come my way. I've been willing to watch s

• edited August 2018

It'd be worth it for me if Guardians Vol. 2 was on repeat non-stop lol

this would totally be worth checking out if the incredible hulk and thor: the dark world got taken out and the guardians movies were back to back

• edited August 2018

Okay, I didn't watch Captain America 1 last weekend like I said I would, but I did see it just this past night.
    It's good! Very good! Stands on its own very well and tells a fun and action-packed story during WW2.
    Didn't remember 90% of the movie since I last saw it 7 years ago so I just had to watch it again.

Cool things:

• Red Skull does in fact get sucked up into a space portal at the end (though it does look like he disintegrates before he gets there). Still a cool detail that they managed to resolve so many years later.

• As a non-comics reader, that ending is still as memorable as the first time I saw it. It's this unsettling scene where Steve wakes up in this old 1940s infirmary room, but is then revealed to be a mock setup by SHIELD. Steve running out into a world much different than he last saw it still gives me that "oh shit" feeling.

• The end credits scene is great. There's the usual "Cap will return in The Avengers" thing of the time, and while it doesn't set up too much...
      A FREAKING TEASER TRAILER FOR THE AVENGERS PLAYS AFTER THE CREDITS.
      HOOOOLY THAT IS HOW YOU MARKET A MOVIE FOR FANS.

• edited September 2018

Saw 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' the other night... yeah, it's still got massive problems.
    There are a few good moments, but very few.

Anything Spidey is nice. The swinging and acrobatics are great to see.
    Anything Peter+Aunt May is also nice.

...basically, that's it. Garfield's Peter Parker is still lacking from the first film, and while Stone's Gwen Stacy is a well-performed character, the rest is just... meh.
    (By the way, Ryan from The Office is in this movie! So is the main girl from Rogue One! that was cool to notice)

Marc Webb managed to ruin the franchise in 2 movies rather than 3 like Raimi, and did an even worse job at doing so... The movie's just so unfocused it's crazy.
    You've got one main villain. Yes, just one. Electro, and he's barely got any encounters with the Webhead. Times Square fight and the Power Plant fight. That's it.
    I'd mention Green Goblin (ugh) or the Rhino, but they feel so minor and thrown in that they're insignificant. Don't even get me started on the last five minutes, where they blatantly try to set up the Sinister Six, and it's clear that this movie was basically the push to do that, since the aforementioned two villains are really thrown in at the very end.
    Harry loses it and goes crazy because Spidey won't give him his blood, which is understandable since it could very well kill him, so he takes it to the next level and gets Oscorp's special 'Spider Venom' they've kept locked up. Now, I'm no expert on genetics, but I don't think venom has spider DNA in it.. and if it did, I don't think giving yourself a shot of venom is a good thing... Either way, them introducing him and throwing him in as a bonus villain at the very end seems super rushy.
    Rhino is at the beginning in a truck chase, then at the very end with a special Rhino-bot, which the fight doesn't get resolved because they cut to the credits.. keep in mind the final shot of that scene was used in almost every trailer so that's immensely disappointing.
    Electro is a Spider-Man fanatic who vastly misinterprets everything about their relationship and hyperbolizes everyone's intentions. Okay, I can take that. I just kind of wish they did more with the rivalry.

Weird stuff:

• the freaking Sony product placement. IT'S EVERYWHERE.
    • Peter finds more notes of his father's and a Subway token, and doesn't piece it together until he finds even more coins.
    • When Harry breaks Electro out of the Ravencroft asylum, they show up at Oscorp to gain access to Harry's supposed 'cure', but for some reason, Electro's got his own super suit. No, it's not a dampener suit or something experiment-related from the asylum, it's a villain suit. There's a metal logo of a lightning bolt on his arms, and it's special in that it can disintegrate into electricity to travel with him. How where why and when did they decide to get him his own suit??

As a part of that new Marvel festival, I decided to see Homecoming tonight. It was pretty easy to reserve tickets since practically no one's reserved anything.
    [Here's some weird stuff concerning the festival:

the festival's across the US and Canada. US, there are a number of locations but not as many as people would like. In Canada, there are only 3. Three locations across the entirety of the country. Two are in Ontario, One is in Alberta, and I was lucky enough to live a half-hour away from one. Marvel has also partnered with this chain called Landmark Cinemas who I've never heard of until they announced it. Whatever the case, they screwed the pooch with this one. Should have gone with Cineplex, and should have gotten way more locations. I'm sad for Canada. I'm also sad for the rest of the world. Heck, why not everyone! They should have made this more accessible internationally!]

As for the movie, it's as good as ever. It's up there with Spider-Man 2 on the top outings of the character.

Peter and Ned's relationship is great, the Spidey scenes are great in helping out the neighbourhood, the villain is both menacing and well-motivated, and there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments (many actually involving the general school kids). They also tie it into the Marvel MCU canon well, without making it feel shoehorned in. They pepper it in (no pun intended) throughout the movie though it doesn't really intrude to me.
    And wow Holland looks and acts young in this. You really get a sense that he's still new to being Spider-Man, and he's like a kid in a candy store about being a Superhero and an Avenger.
    One thing that irks me is how grounded it is. Like, seriously, there's not a whole lot of swinging. There's this whole Van chase where he's chasing them on foot, from backyards and on roofs. I hope they bring him to the big city in the next movie to get a real Spidey experience. It's a nice breath of fresh air here, but I can't help but think that something's missing.

Anyway, the next movie's gonna focus on Mysterio that'll be really fun. I really hope they don't go for any new villain team-ups after that. It's what killed the previous two film runs and it never works out for a two-hour run time of action and character development. Maybe an old-new villain thing could work... hmmmm.

Nevertheless, It's great and I want more. I'd love to rewatch Civil War and some Infinity War for my withdrawal here... gotta find them somewhere...

Cool things:

• Some sort of mixup in the editing room, I think. The movie opens with the aftermath of The Avengers, with Stark Tower destroyed and Chitauri tech everywhere. It then skips eight years into the future to the present day. Now, I'm not an expert on the full chronological canon, but I think the MCU has generally been following the real-world timeline. 2012=2012 and all that. So, Avengers happened in 2012, so eight years later brings us to 2020 (IRL 2017), where then Infinity War happens. Homecoming should be in 2016, just a few months after Civil War takes place. Parker's appearance in Infinity War should be about a year and a half after Homecoming (since it was revealed somewhere that it happens at the.. start(?) of his 11th High School year (so, a Junior year as you 'Muricans would call it :p) Infinity War part two? Might still happen in 2018, and then Peter resumes his Junior year with a field trip to London in Far From Home... maybe. We'll see. This is a long point of speculation here...
    • That whole scene with Donald Glover is gold. Spider-Man's interrogation voice, Glover's counselling of 'you have to work on this part of the job, man'
    • Cool little detail: The head of the Damage Control Crew appears at the start, and then you can also see her later in front of the destroyed grocery store and bank. The incident did involve otherworldly weapons...
    • When Toomes is driving Peter and Liz to Homecoming, there's a cool cinematography moment where the intersection light is red, glowing on his face as you see him start to piece together the events of Peter's disappearing foibles involving his daughter (and how he always gets attacked by Spider-Man around those times) the light then turns green, still visibly shining on his face by the time he seems to have it all figured out. That was cool.
    • Still, love that Homemade Origins suit. Heck, I love any of them. It's always cool to see a Spider-Man bundling together and stitching together Average Joe clothes to make up for a costume.
    • The first 3 notes of the Homecoming Suite are extremely reminiscient of the classic Spider-Man theme. It doesn't help that they decided to use an orchestral version of it for the Marvel Studios logo. Man, it gives me the awesome shivers every time it plays. vvvv

Luckily for me: There's Spider-Man PS4 coming out this Friday, and it looks phenomenal.
    There's also that Venom movie that I have to say I'm interested in and think it looks decent enough. Problem is, I want to watch it but I don't want Sony getting the idea that they can just keep these characters locked off from their special and needed counterparts for some good money. A Venom origin movie without Spidey? Unheard of... but I'd love to see them do it. But I don't want that to happen in the first place. Ugh.
    Into the SpiderVerse has me really interested in it. Mostly because it'll be a cool (hopefully good) introduction to Miles Morales for me and also probably an awesome melding of various Spideys across the Marvel Multiverse. Have you heard Nic Cage is playing Spider-Man Noir? There's also rumours of John Krasinski playing one of the 'normal' Spideys at the beginning of the film.

Writing this was long. And fun. OK see ya.

• Just finished Iron Fist Season 2 and wow. I cannot believe how much of an improvement it is! The fights are way better and so is the acting (standouts being Ward Meachum and Mary Walker), lots of Iron Fisting going on instead of once every other episode and Davos is a great villain.

With this and Luke Cage Season 2, it looks like Marvel Netflix is really taking in the criticism they've got in the past. Can't wait for Daredevil Season 3! Hopefully the knock it out of the park.

• I'm glad to see that Iron Fist is getting some love. I am really hoping for a Season 3 of Iron Fist.
    Btw, the teaser for Daredevil Season 3 was creepy and hyped.

Just finished Iron Fist Season 2 and wow. I cannot believe how much of an improvement it is! The fights are way better and so is the acting

• edited September 2018

CAPTAIN MARVEL TRAILER

For now, I don't think I'll watch it.
    I'm going to use every fiber of my being to stay as spoiler-free (expectation-free, and reveal-free) as possible for these next two Marvel movies. I want a good surprise.

• edited September 2018

Marvel so dark now!

• edited September 2018

I'm just happy to see Coulson again. ? (even for just a second)

• THEY DID IT THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN! THEY GAVE HER THE FUCKING MOHAWK!!!

• edited September 2018

I haven't been following much of the movie news outside the MCU, so this came as a surprise.
    Dark Phoeni(x)

I thought they finished the X-Men prequels with Apocalypse. Xavier got bald to complete his Professor X look, him and Erik parted ways until they could fight each other again.
    ... Though to be honest, I haven't seen the original X-Men trilogy. So maybe there's something missing that hasn't been included yet.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2018

If you know the comics, it's obvious the old lady that Carol punches in the Captain Marvel trailer is a Skrull in disguise.

Of course, considering a lot of people who watch these films don't know the comics, this is definitely a weird choice of a scene to put in the trailer.

MasterStone posted: »

Marvel so dark now!

• New trailer for Into the Spider-Verse

Plus, I love that Sam Raimi reference.

• Awesome! I was hoping for another one soon! Sooo excited for this!

(Fun fact: I was actually reading the Spider-Verse Wikipedia page just yesterday!)

As always, this movie looks amazing. And I'm talking style-wise. Each Spider-Person having their own style of animation is really quite interesting...
    The way they utilize colours and the styles to differentiate between each one is cool. Miles' Spidey sense is more purple/red-ish, Peter's uses the classic Red/Blue. The introduction to Spider-Gwen has a more pinkish vibe.
    The Japanese school girl (named Peni Parker) has an Anime-inspired style. And of course Spider-Ham looks excessively cartoonish... in a good way.

(Don't ask me how I know all this stuff, I'm just looking this all up on the internet because I'm interested myself.)

Nicolas Cage plays Spider-Man Noir: A 1930's version of Spider-Man. Cage based his character on the films of Humphrey Bogart, wanting the character to sound similar to actors from that era such as James Cagney or Edward G. Robinson.

Kimiko Glenn is Peni Parker: A Japanese middle school girl who pilots a mech suit known as SP//dr.

John Mulaney is Spider-Ham: A funny animal version of Spider-Man.

I cannot wait for this movie. Looks to be cool to look at, I hope it's fun to experience, but they seem to know the legacy behind it (as there's like 3 Raimiverse references and one SpideyPS4 in the trailer.)

AronDracula posted: »

New trailer for Into the Spider-Verse Plus, I love that Sam Raimi reference.

• edited October 2018

there's like 3 Raimiverse references and one SpideyPS4 in the trailer.

I'm blind, deaf and also just woke up, would you mind telling me what the references were?

Awesome! I was hoping for another one soon! Sooo excited for this! (Fun fact: I was actually reading the Spider-Verse Wikipedia page just

• edited October 2018

For Raimi references: you see Peter stopping the train with his body (and some webs for anchorage), you also see a clip of him upside-down kissing Mary Jane, and the third one, is Peter stopping a car getting thrown out a window while in a cafe. That third one is debatable in how its designed (as he's in his spider-suit and he punches the car away), but it gives off a big vibe and looks similarly shot as to how that scene actually played out in Spider-Man 2. (skip to 2:15)

The Spider-Man PS4 suit can be seen behind who I can only assume is Aunt May, but the white spider design is visible.

EDIT: The Raimi callbacks can be seen at 0:10 - 0:13 and the PS4 suit can be glimpsed at 1:39 in the trailer...

• Oof. Iron Fist just got cancelled.

Even though I still think it was the weakest out of Defenders' shows, the ending of the second season made me excited for the next one. Oh well, hopefully the characters will at least be able to appear in the other shows.

• And since no one posted the trailer for Daredevil S3, here it is. Might be too spoilerous for some though.

Only 1 week left!

• Here's a pretty good music video chronicling most of the Marvel movies.

• Daredevil S3 is now streaming!

• Holy shit, Daredevil season 3 has an amazing 11 minute one shot sequence.

• Damn. Luke Cage has been cancelled as well.

This sucks, because the second season was actually really good. :( Now I'm really worried about other Defenders' shows.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.