Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited October 2018

I just saw Venom tonight.

It was a terrible movie, but it was still very much enjoyable.
    The good stuff? Yeah it was good.
    The bad stuff? That was good, too -- ironically, of course.

The issue plaguing Venom is.. Well, a lot of stuff, but mainly it's the writing. Ever heard of the cinematic rule "Show, don't Tell"? These guys probably didn't know about that because they use the rule "Tell, don't show" with a side of "Tell, and then also Show just in case you missed it" A lot of the lines in this movie were really, really bad. Most of them relating to the main bad guy in that they really want to nail down the idea that he's evil JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE SAYS SO oh, and they show it too, later.
    But, most of the lines are really poorly written and serve no purpose. A few that come to mind right now are: (paraphrasing here)

[Shows the symbiote bonding with the test rabbit on screen] "The symbiote has begun the bonding process now"

Or

"How bad is it? Tell me."
    "Very bad"
    "HOW BAD IS IT???!"

Or even

[CEO guy in Mission Control room]
    [Looking at footage of the rocket ship crash site. Commotion occurs on screen. We see a crew member being carried on a stretcher.]
    "What's going on? What's happening?"
    "We just found one of the crew. He's still alive"
    [Proceeds to show crew member barely alive]

Okay, maybe that last one doesn't sound so bad, but I'm paraphrasing here. That one is practically the opening scene, and they throw all the details out at you in the form of questions and responses. I vividly remember rolling my eyes throughout that scene.

The Final battle was cool.... At least when it didn't look like two sentient puddles of oil were trying to kill each other. (I mean, really? One's a Black puddle, and the other is a GREY puddle... How more different can you get??

There's a whole lot more that is wrong with this film that I either forgot or don't have the time/space to talk about here. But it's pretty bad all around.

Was it good cinema? Absolutely not.
    Was it fun? It was pretty entertaining and there was humour to be found throughout (both in humourous moments and in non-humorous moments).
    Should you see it? Yeah. If you can laugh and enjoy something that is terrible, go see it. There's no rush though. Don't need to spend your 15 bucks yet.

The one saving grace of Venom was a Sneak Peek of the upcoming animated Spider-Verse movie after the credits. It's just a little clip. Looks really great though and I have high hopes for that movie. Can't wait.

• Looks like Daredevil and Punisher (so far) are the only good Netflix shows.

Pipas posted: »

Damn. Luke Cage has been cancelled as well. This sucks, because the second season was actually really good. Now I'm really worried about other Defenders' shows.

• Ayy, Agents of SHIELD have been renewed for the 7th season! Even before broadcasting the 6th one, which is a bit surprising considering the latest season's ratings weren't that great. But hey, I'm not complaning. :D

• Nah, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are pretty good as well.

AronDracula posted: »

Looks like Daredevil and Punisher (so far) are the only good Netflix shows.

• edited November 2018

Netflix US (and probably Netflix Canada because they retweeted it too!) get Avengers: Infinity War on December 25th!!

• edited November 2018

Also, a special PG-13 recut of Deadpool 2 is coming to select theatres for just 12 days this holiday season. Featuring a framing device parodying The Princess Bride and Fred Savage himself (the child star from TPB) being featured in it, too.

(holy cow this is a huge poster)

"Fox has been asking for a PG-13 basically since the start in 2006," Ryan Reynolds told Deadline. "I've said no since 2006. Now, this one time, I said 'Yes' on two conditions. First, a portion of the proceeds had to go to charity. Second, I wanted to kidnap Fred Savage. The second condition took some explaining..."

Fred Savage will join Reynolds in new scenes for ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL in an homage to Savage's starring role in the 1987 bedtime-story classic THE PRINCESS BRIDE. Fred remarked, “while my participation in this film was anything but voluntary, I am happy to learn that Fudge Cancer will be the beneficiary of this shameless cash grab”

• New Captain Marvel trailer

• I love that they gave her the mohawk when she's suited up. Aside from some iffy CGI when she goes super saiyan (which will probably be improved, there's still some time left) it looks like a fun time! Can't wait to see what they do with Phil and Ronan!

New Captain Marvel trailer

• edited December 2018

Apparently the Avengers 4 trailer has been delayed for about a week or two due to Bush's funeral

• AVENGERS TRAILER!

• They just showed us characters being sad and it still got me hyped af. Can't wait for april!

AVENGERS TRAILER!

• So here it is,the official trailer for the second season of The Punisher coming out on Netflix January 18.
    I'm not sure how to feel about this,i'm really hype but also sad because this is probably the last season,oh well.

• edited January 2019

TRAILER TIME

Doesn't seem spoilery like last time. Good job Sony.
    Dat orchestral classic theme tho.

• edited January 2019

IS THAT MAH BOY SANDMAN 1:37?! IS THAT MAH BOY HYDRO MAN 1:55?!?! WAS THAT MOTHERFUCKING MOLTEN MAN AT 1:49???!!!

THEY GAVE MYSTERIO THE FUCKING FISHBOWL?!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

EDIT*

I've calmed down now. Looks like Mysterio is pretending to be a hero by making all those elemental monsters who seem to be homages to the characters I named.. Really excited for this movie!

AChicken posted: »

TRAILER TIME Doesn't seem spoilery like last time. Good job Sony. Dat orchestral classic theme tho.

• edited January 2019

Looks like Mysterio is pretending to be a hero by making all those elemental monsters

He's going to be the MCU's Syndrome, I think.

And it seems the (former) Avengers Tower is under construction for a split second in the trailer... Oooh I wonder who's moving in??

It better be that one guy with an affinity for gliders.

lupinb0y posted: »

IS THAT MAH BOY SANDMAN 1:37?! IS THAT MAH BOY HYDRO MAN 1:55?!?! WAS THAT MOTHERFUCKING MOLTEN MAN AT 1:49???!!! THEY GAVE MYSTERIO THE

• edited January 2019

I'm praying for either the Baxter Building or Oscorp (this being more likely).

It better be that one guy with an affinity for gliders.

I'm too stupid. Who dis?

EDIT

Oh lol you meant the Goblin.

Looks like Mysterio is pretending to be a hero by making all those elemental monsters He's going to be the MCU's Syndrome, I think.

• edited January 2019

Saw Into the Spider-Verse for my 2nd time, today. Just as good as the first time I saw it.

A bunch more interesting things I noticed:

• When Miles is flipping through The True Life Tales of Spider-Man in preparation of his own spider-training, you can see some panels in which the main character has an internal monologue of what he should do. However, he does not call himself "Peter Parker". He instead refers to himself as "Billy". Which makes perfect sense since the writers obviously have no idea who is under the mask they write about.
    • Einstein said 'time is relative'. And he's right. Judging from Miles' recent failed science quiz, he lives in a universe that has an extra month. The movie takes place in (or at least close to) "Decembruary". (Note that this isn't a replacement month for December as "December 7" can be seen on a poster in Miles' room later on.)
      EDIT: I may be wrong on this second point since that could have been Miles' way of acting way too dumb to ensure totally flunking the test, 0/100.

• If you listen closely, Spider-Ham's origin story explains that he got bitten by a radioactive PIG rather than a spider like the two others in the scene. Cool that they remembered.

• The Rubik's Cube joke doesn't start at the credits. When chilling in Aunt May's house, you can hear (and see) Spider-Noir trying to guess which colour is which, with Porker beside him helping him out. "Is this colour Blue?" "No." "Is this colour… Purple?!" "No..."
    • In that very same scene, yes, Peni Parker has heelys. (The little wheels under sneakers. Man, I've always wanted a pair of them.)
    • In the final fight, when Peni''s mech gets destroyed, at one point one of the arms gets ripped off. Considering she shares a psychic link to it thanks to a super-spider, you can see she recoils and clutches her arm.

And those dang opening logos. They hype me up so much.

I will say that I believe Spider-Verse is best watched in 3D. The chromatic aberration and blur used throughout the film is a unique stylistic choice, but I felt way more paranoid that the screen wasn't processing properly or that I was missing some kind of effect due to the flat-looking screen in the theatre.

• I dunno why but I like that Michelle character. She is sassy and smart and I think she should fall in love with Peter in this movie.

TRAILER TIME Doesn't seem spoilery like last time. Good job Sony. Dat orchestral classic theme tho.

• Man, Punisher S2 has been disappointing so far, four episodes in. I love Jon Bernthal and what he does with this characters, but the writers don't really seem to know how to effectively use his talent. His whole character feels like he was stripped out of all of his subtlety. People didn't like how S1 was more Frank Castle centric than Punisher focused, but I really liked that because Jon Bernthal would be completely wasted as a walking screaming husk of a human like how many people like to see this character being portrait. Bernthal's just too good.

The most disappointing thing so far have been the action scenes. With the exception of the toilet brawl in the first episode, every fight scene felt annoyingly underwhelming. Especially that shoot-out in the woods in episode 3 was just ... boring. There was next to no intensity or excitement or any other positiv emotion you should get with an action scene. It was just there, kept going on for far to long and ended in nothing.

I hope it gets better, since S3 will not happen and it'd be such a shame to end the arguably best movie/tv incarnation of The Punisher with a disappointing second season after a relatively underwhelming first season.

• edited January 2019

I finished episode 8 recently,and yeah it gets better don't worry.

I actually loved this season,but it's very different from season 1,not everyone will like it.

GSSalvador posted: »

Man, Punisher S2 has been disappointing so far, four episodes in. I love Jon Bernthal and what he does with this characters, but the writers

• Agents of SHIELD season 6 trailer just released. It's been too long, I'm so excited for this summer! :) (contains a major spoiler from previous season if you're not caught up, but I guess that goes without saying)

• edited January 2019

If any of ya'll are interested, someone put up the Marvel Studios Directors Roundtable that came with the BluRay for Infinity War. The directors featured are the Russo Brothers, Joss Whedon, Peyton Reed, Jon Favreau, Ryan Coogler, James Gunn and Taiki Waititi.

• Guys seen the Avengers teaser yet

• Oh yeah. This happened.

I'm hyped.

Erinour posted: »

Guys seen the Avengers teaser yet

• So it's official, both Punisher and Jessica Jones have just been cancelled (with Jessica Jones still getting 3rd season). But that was to be expected after the Daredevil cancellation. Oh well, 'twas a good run.

• Fuck you Netflix!

So it's official, both Punisher and Jessica Jones have just been cancelled (with Jessica Jones still getting 3rd season). But that was to be expected after the Daredevil cancellation. Oh well, 'twas a good run.

• edited February 2019

From what little I´ve read it has more to do with Disney and their streaming service than Netflix, so…

Fuck you, Disney!

I know it´s not Marvel, but atleast Netflix has shows like Titans and the Umbrella Academy to scratch that superhero itch. I liked both of them.

Fuck you Netflix!

• edited February 2019

The upcoming DVD release of Into the Spider-Verse is going to include an animated short of the spectacular Spider-Ham.

I felt the movie underused Spider-Ham/John Mulaney so I'm happy with this addition.

• I really like the backgrounds, they're very reminiscent of Craig McCracken's work on Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab.

The upcoming DVD release of Into the Spider-Verse is going to include an animated short of the spectacular Spider-Ham. I felt the movie underused Spider-Ham/John Mulaney so I'm happy with this addition.

• edited February 2019

The home video release of Into the Spider-Verse is apparently going to feature a new cut of the film.

It'll presumably add in some deleted scenes, unfinished/cut animation, storylines, characters, etc. giving a different story spin on the film. Might be worth a watch, if a bit weird in terms of consistent quality.

Via CinemaBlend, Into the Spider-Verse directors Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti, and Peter Ramsey revealed the “Alt-Universe Cut” will restore several previously lost sequences back into the film.

“[Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse] had an unusual amount of material at every stage of production,” explained Rothman. “So, an insane amount of storyboard material, like insane, like break your high end edit systems insane. An insane amount of layout, an insane amount of finished animation that didn’t make it into the movie… an unusual amount. So the Alt-Universe Cut contains a bunch of that stuff that we chose not to put in the movie, but that in an alternate universe easily could have ended up in the movie…That’s kind of the premise behind it.”
    “The alt version is more beholden to the idea that Miles and Ganke were buddies and roommates,” said Persichetti. “And there’s a lot more of roommate stuff happening. And what we ended up running into was just to two things. It was just like, ‘Oh, wow. Homecoming, Ned – very similar to Ganke.’ Really. And then, ‘Well, maybe it’s actually better if Miles experiences these things without a really well-educated Sherpa holding his hand through all the powers coming on and everything,’ and it ended up helping us out for that place where Peter comes into the movie.”

• Not an MCU movie but in the latest Dark Phoenix trailer the group that captures the X-Men are the MCU.

META.

At 2:15.

• Lol that's great also what new Dark Phoenix trailer?!

Not an MCU movie but in the latest Dark Phoenix trailer the group that captures the X-Men are the MCU. META. At 2:15.

• It's pretty spoilerish. They could not have telegraphed harder that a certain character gets KO'd.

Lol that's great also what new Dark Phoenix trailer?!

• ant man best mcu character :blush:
    thank you for your attention and have a pleasant day

• So, finally finished the second season of Punisher. And honestly, the first season was better.

Going into it, I thought I'd enjoy the Billy storyline more, but to my surprise, it was exactly the opposite. To be fair, I didn't have much problem with Billy himself, it was more with the characters he surrounded himself with. Especially the therapist, jesus christ. What a terrible character.

Kinda reminded me of Daredevil S2 - 2 different storylines that were so disconnected from each other that they might as well be 2 different seasons, while one being much better than the other.

Overall - the beggining and the end were great, the middle however - bleh.

Still sad Netflix cancelled it though. :(

• Just got back from watching Captain Marvel. I thought it was good. Not amazing but it's definitely one of the better MCU origin movies

Brie Larson plays a great Carol Danvers, Nick Fury is a great sidekick to her and Goose is just so adorable! I also really enjoyed the Skrulls, especially Ben Mendelson's character. Also there's this really nice memorial to Stan Lee. It does start off a little slow however and certain scenes are a bit too dark in terms of lighting. Also some of the fight scenes get too blurry. The story is a bit forgettable at times (mostly at the start) but the characters more than make up for it and there are a bunch of really cool/funny moments with Captain Marvel and the gang.

There's a mid credits scene which gave me and my friend goosebumps and a short after credits scene that's a good chuckle.

Like I said it's on par with the better MCU origin movies and it leads into Avengers: Endgame not really much else I can say but go watch it if you're a fan of the MCU.

• How much was Coulson in it? He's the major reason I'm looking forward to it. :D

Just got back from watching Captain Marvel. I thought it was good. Not amazing but it's definitely one of the better MCU origin movies Br

• Sadly while it's nice to see Coulson in the MCU again, he's not a major player in the movie and isn't in it all that much.

How much was Coulson in it? He's the major reason I'm looking forward to it.

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited March 2019

Anyone here see Alita: Battle Angel AND Captain Marvel? Which is better (more entertaining)?

• Well, according to the audience score, they liked Alita much better than Captain Marvel.

Dex-Starr posted: »

Anyone here see Alita: Battle Angel AND Captain Marvel? Which is better (more entertaining)?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.