Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• He essentially has a photographic memory that allows him to instantly memories attacks and movements by watching something once. It doesn't have to be something happening in front of him, it can even be from a video. From what we've seen so far he's copied moves from Captain America, Black Panther, Spider-Man and Black Widow.

DabigRG posted: »

Is there a reason for him to do that?

• Wait, then when does this movie take place?

lupinb0y posted: »

He essentially has a photographic memory that allows him to instantly memories attacks and movements by watching something once. It doesn't

• That's just his thing. Study other people's moves to copy them, add to his repertoire.

Also to turn people's moves against them.

• Between Civil War and Infinity War.

Wait, then when does this movie take place?

• Smack dab between wars, eh?
    Guess that explains the accents.

Pipas posted: »

Between Civil War and Infinity War.

• Well, that's why we'll fucking watch the movie!

• Oh, I just assumed that was a thing in the comics, but maybe.

Well, that's why we'll fucking watch the movie!

• It is a thing in the comics.

Oh, I just assumed that was a thing in the comics, but maybe.

• The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is reportedly getting its first official trailer in the second week of April.

No idea if it will still include a release date/window since their filming in Prague this month was interrupted due to Covid. Hopefully they were at the final stages of filming it though.

• James Gunn did a live-tweet watch party of GOTG 1 a few days ago. (Dammit, I missed it, even though I don't even have a twitter.)
    He divulged that he's got special plans for Rocket in the future. (possible flashback to his origins like what Telltale did?)

• Yeah sounds like we'll get a look into his past. It would be pretty cool to see Lylla introduced in the next movie too, maybe in a similar fashion to the game.

AChicken posted: »

James Gunn did a live-tweet watch party of GOTG 1 a few days ago. (Dammit, I missed it, even though I don't even have a twitter.) He divul

• WandaVision has an official premiere date. January 15.

Personally, I was hoping and expecting it'd be December 25th, the day Mando Season 2 ends, but that's not too far off. I can live with that.

• It would have been Chadwick Boseman's birthday yesterday... Rest In Power, King.
    Disney also did this pretty cool thing in remembrance of him.

• edited December 2020

I am the only man on the planet excited for the Hawkeye series. 45 second of set footage got leaked showing Renner, Steinfeild, and a dog from the comics.

• You definitely aren't. Hawkeye is the one I look forward the most to see.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I am the only man on the planet excited for the Hawkeye series. 45 second of set footage got leaked showing Renner, Steinfeild, and a dog from the comics. https://twitter.com/marveIstuff/status/1334211738913435650

• Welp, here's a picture of Hailee Steinfeld on the Hawkeye set!

I'd say my most anticipated Marvel series is the Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Mostly because this is the series that was supposed to come first, but due to Covid and incomplete re-shoots, it had to be delayed. (There's also rumors that it somehow connects with the Black Widow film, and the reason why it's been pushed back to an indefinite date is because the movie has yet to release.)
    WandaVision looks weirdly interesting with its "sitcoms through the years" style, and I am curious as to what/how a Hawkeye show could work (and Jeremy Renner finally being a superhero lead for once.) But for now, highly anticipating TF&WS.

I am the only man on the planet excited for the Hawkeye series. 45 second of set footage got leaked showing Renner, Steinfeild, and a dog from the comics. https://twitter.com/marveIstuff/status/1334211738913435650

• PIZZADOG IS IN THE MCU

• Since people are talkin' about their most anticipated Disney+ MCU show I'll add that I'm most excited for WandaVision because it just looks pretty bonkers and different from what we've gotten across the MCU so far. Plus it seems to take inspiration from Tom King's Vision which is absolutely fantastic comic.

Also excited for Ms. Marvel. Love the comic and the character so I'm looking forward to seeing how they adapt her into live action.

• edited December 2020

By the way, new Spider-Man 3 news just came out and it's big.

Alfred Molina will be returning as Doctor Octopus.
    This is the second returning actor to the Spider-Man franchise, following Jamie Foxx's announcement that he's going to be Electro again (and he's not going to be blue this time).

So... Two actors reprising their roles in a new franchise... in a way.
    What could this mean? Why cast them specifically?? Did the producers like them, or is there a deeper reason?...

• I hope Tom Holland gets to cameo in this bigass movie

By the way, new Spider-Man 3 news just came out and it's big. Alfred Molina will be returning as Doctor Octopus. This is the second retu

• Not to mention Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst eh.

Although obviously none of these 6 has been confirmed by marvel themselves afaik, it's looking likely this ones gonna be big.

Oh and also the fresh news that Charlie Cox is returning as Daredevil for spiderman 3 as well. 😁

By the way, new Spider-Man 3 news just came out and it's big. Alfred Molina will be returning as Doctor Octopus. This is the second retu

• Is it going to be like a live-action Spider-Verse movie? Not sure how I feel about it but if the purpose of it is to give a conclusion for the previous Spider-Man movie franchises, then I am sold.

• edited December 2020

Yeah, I'm kind of worried that if this features the multiverse already, the movie is going to be way too packed (muck like the other Spider-Man movies that tried to do a similar thing. It didn't turn out well)

But it's worth noting that just because these actors are coming back and have been spotted on set recently doesn't confirm any kind of Spider-Verse team up with Maguire or Garfield.

We know Doctor Strange is going to appear in the film, but for all we know it could be like the post-credits scene of the first Dr. Strange, with a cameo from Thor.
    Or, if he does have a larger role, he might just open a portal or two showing off the multiverse, and you happen to see these other film universes.
    OR, the most likely reason is that these actors already made memorable performances as these villains, and casting them might mean they don't need to dwell so much on shaping their characters in the film as new-MCU-characters (if they're going for a Sinister Six plot) since the public already knows who these guys are.

AronDracula posted: »

Is it going to be like a live-action Spider-Verse movie? Not sure how I feel about it but if the purpose of it is to give a conclusion for the previous Spider-Man movie franchises, then I am sold.

• So....

Where do we even start??????

• We just don't know what to expect with this show, I'm sure.

My theory is Wanda's using the medium of television to relive "the glory days" with Vision, but in doing so (in corrupting some section of the real world) the FBI is gonna have to take her down.
    When or where this takes place, no idea! But since Marvel released 6 posters in the past couple days for each TV Era, seems like we're getting 1 episode for one Era, each. From the '60s to the '10s

• edited December 2020

Omg I'm so out of the loop, I had no idea what this was referencing...
    Now I know. Dear god, now I know! It's... A LOT.

All the news from the 2020 Investors Presentation

• WandaVision got a new trailer.
    • Falcon and the Winter Soldier got a new clip.
    • Loki got a new clip.
    • What If?... got a new clip.
    • Shang-Chi got its cast revealed.
    • Ms. Marvel got a little sizzle reel revealed.
    • Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) got confirmed to be She-Hulk. Mark Ruffalo will also appear in her series.
    • Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn will star in the new D+ series "Secret Invasion"
    • A new D+ series called "Iron Heart" has been revealed, about a new inventor's most advanced upgrade to the Iron Man suit since Tony Stark's last crack at it. .
    • Don Cheadle gets his own War Machine series in "Armor Wars"
    • James Gunn is writing and directing a Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special that will release ahead of the third film (2023). (It's inspired by his unironic love for the Star Wars Holiday Special)
    • A series of shorts called "I Am Groot" is coming to D+
    • Christian Bale joins Thor: Love and Thunder (Thor 4) as Gorr the God Butcher
    • Ant-Man 3: Quantumania has been announced.
    • Black Panther 2 fully confirmed, they will not recast T'Challa.
    • Jon Watts will direct the first MCU Fantastic Four film!!

WOW
    OKAY
    Holy cannoli that's a lot of news. Right so... Where do we start??

Maybe start by looking up all those new clips and trailers..

So.... Where do we even start??????

• edited December 2020

Trailers and first looks that were revealed today :0

WandaVision

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

Loki

Ms. Marvel

What If...?

• edited December 2020

What If? is looking very sweet!! Very excited to see that next summer!

Loki intrigues me. Given that it's Avengers 1 Loki we're dealing with, he seems way more like an evil "I must have all the power" kind of individual. That's going to be an interesting anti-hero series, it seems. Dunno how I feel about him travelling the multiverse of time and space, willy nilly.

Trailers and first looks that were revealed today :0 WandaVision The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Loki Ms. Marvel What If...?

• I think it'll be a fun time with him Doctor Who-ing his way throughout Earth's history and causing mischief. At 2:08 he looks suspiciously like D.B. Cooper.

What If? is looking very sweet!! Very excited to see that next summer! Loki intrigues me. Given that it's Avengers 1 Loki we're dealing w

• edited January 2021

In case you missed it, a new Marvel show premiered on Disney Plus today.
    Marvel: Legends. A clip show designed to give you a quick recap on various characters in the MCU, to prepare you for upcoming series or movies.

Two episodes, one about Wanda and the other about Vision premiered today. They're well-made, IMO and give a nice showcase of their arc across the films so far.
    One week to WandaVision!

• In the massive tsunami of similarly-cryptic trailers Disney has been posting all week, it turns out they snuck in a sneak peek clip! Say hello to the 50's era episode!
    Music is on point.

• this looks so weird but it has my attention somehow

In the massive tsunami of similarly-cryptic trailers Disney has been posting all week, it turns out they snuck in a sneak peek clip! Say hello to the 50's era episode! Music is on point.

• edited January 2021

Just watched it. Really enjoyed both episodes, I think the casting was really good.

I think a lot of non-MCU audiences are gonna get bored and stop watching now since it's been anticlimactic. I think this series would have worked better being released all at once considering the sloooooooooooooow build up. It sucks having to wait 2-3 more weeks for Darcy or Jimmy Woo to show up.

• Hm, then it's probably best to wait until all the episodes are out. (which I was planning to do anyway)

Just watched it. Really enjoyed both episodes, I think the casting was really good. I think a lot of non-MCU audiences are gonna get bore

• Agreed. Really enjoyed this to be honest. Wackiest, craziest and the most artsy thing the mcu will probably ever put out. I hope the quality doesn't decline.

Just watched it. Really enjoyed both episodes, I think the casting was really good. I think a lot of non-MCU audiences are gonna get bore

• edited January 2021

Wow, WandaVision really is something unique for the Marvel realm. I get that it's just the beginning of the series, but I like how the two episodes so far have been your typical sitcom antics mixed with an end-of-episode twist that moves the intrigue along (as well as the strange little things happening between).

The 50's episode having Wanda's magic look like it was all on strings was a nice touch. The added animated bits in the 60's were a fun treat to see. I also enjoy that each episode looks like it's going to get its own intro for that era.
    The commercials are fun as well! See a strange period-inspired product that bears a striking reference to the real-world events in the MCU accompanied by the same two people. Neat. (So, a Stark Toaster and a Dr. Strucker-brand Hydra Watch).
    Excited to see how the Nozy Neighbour develops over the course of the show, since I've heard rumours that she might be evil in some way? I don't see it yet. Or why.

It's also hilarious to me that even though this is just a TV Series, they didn't skimp out on the CGI budget -- even for the credits. Is every episode really going to have your usual 6-minutes of flashy credits? Seems weird to put it in a smaller-MCU-project like this, but I can't deny that it looks great! Love the use of RGB colour blocks throughout it.
    And again, despite that it'll be the end of the show, I just can't wait to get to the 2000's episode in 4 weeks. I really want to see how they adapt the Mockumentary approach, even if they might not have much time with it before the curtain falls.

EDIT: My god, fans can be really cool creatures sometimes. I'm finding so many awesome details from eagle-eyed and eagle-eared people.

The Marvel Studios Intro has been updated with new clips from Endgame. If you look close enough, you can see one clip using Tony's Endgame Snap. Jeez, spoilers, Disney!

These first episodes actually use Mono Audio, most noticeable when using headphones. (This is when all your speakers play the same audio, they each don't get their own track or spatial-dependent audio like many modern speakers do.) Only the Marvel logo and the end credits get Stereo audio for now.

The manhole entrance in Episode 2 isn't there at the beginning, but magically appears at the end of the episode. Spooky.

Other cool bits like the Stark Toaster using an Iron Man Gauntlet sound, and the ticking might be in reference to a Stark bomb that nearly killed Wanda and Pietro.

• edited January 2021

I watched the first two episodes of WandaVision. They're a lot of fun and I'm really enjoying the series so far. The set design, the costumes, the music, etc is all so good. So much of the show is so authentic to the period of television they're lampooning to the point I just straight up forget sometimes that I'm not watching an old sitcom.

I also love the bits of "horror" we get, I really hope we get more spread throughout the series.

• edited January 2021

Another neat detail that I later found out is that

the original tv show Bewitched began in black and white and transitioned into colour in its third season. Episode 2 of WV is heavily inspired by Bewitched and at the end of the episode it goes from black and white to colour.

Another detail is that the commercials might be recapping parts of Wanda's life. The first one with Stark and the ticking toaster being a reference to the Stark weaponry that killed her parents and traumatised her and Pietro. Then the Strucker watch being a reference to her and Pietro being experimented on by Hydra.

Wow, WandaVision really is something unique for the Marvel realm. I get that it's just the beginning of the series, but I like how the two e

• Neat!

Episode 2 of WV is heavily inspired by Bewitched and at the end of the episode it goes from black and white to colour

Yeah, my mom was watching the show alongside me, and noticed the detail that -- similar to Bewitched -- they transitioned to colour in the end. Nice detail.

Another detail is that the commercials might be recapping parts of Wanda's life.

Ah, I've seen that theory thrown around the internet in the past day. I wonder how they might adapt Pietro's death or the arrival of Thanos. (And how these ads might evolve alongside the decades. Someone suggested that in the 80s or 90s, we might see some bombastic commercial featuring action figures.)

Another neat detail that I later found out is that (Spoiler)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.