Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited August 2021

Ok, this is fucking epic. My jaw went down to the center of earth when I saw the ending of this trailer.

I already heard Alfred Molina would reprise his role but his presence in the trailer still caught me by surprise. Also, the Goblin grenade. Does it mean Willem Dafoe reprises his role as the Green Goblin as well?

This is probably the only movie I am anticipating this year. It looks awesome.

Finally!

• S P L O O S H

Finally!

• (sees Goblin grenade)

Yes.

(sees mechanical arm)

Yes!

(sees Alfred Molina)

YES!

Finally!

• Holy crap. Holy crap. The other spideys didn't even appear and my brain is already running a marathon a minute.

Alfred Molina in the goggles!! Potential Willem Dafoe appearance!!
    Looking a lot like Doctor Strange 1.5
    My god this just made the wait for December so much harder :grimace: I am so full of joy right now you cannot even begin to comprehend

Finally!

• Ooh, JK Simmons and the Daily Bugle might be appearing more often in this film.
    They've got their own film crew!

• edited August 2021

Just watched the latest episode of What If? This is by far the darkest episode yet. I’m not gonna talk about it much but hot damn this got pretty messed up. The episodes pacing was actually alright this time around aside from the end. Things didn’t feel like they were going a mile a minute. The voice acting was good for the most part, though Tom Hiddleston did feel like he was overacting quite a bit. There were some quick but cool action scenes and the story had some pretty high stakes. This might be my favourite episode so far.

My only major issue is that the writing at the end gets a tiny bit wonky, specifically with certain character logic. Aside from that, I did quite enjoy the episode. Looking forward to next weeks!

Episode notes

• Hank Pym being revealed to be the villain was fucking wild. The episode does a good job of showing how dangerous that kind of power is if put in the wrong hands.
    • His reasoning for killing the would be Avengers made no damn sense lmao. “I’m gonna kill all these people in horrible painful ways so that they don’t get killed by Shield. Amazing.
    • Seeing Hulk swell up and explode was fucked up. It was cool seeing Betty Ross again though!
    • I can’t believe they actually referenced The Incredible Hulk with the campus and all that. I thought I’d never see them do anything with that movie.
    • Tom Hiddleston may be a great actor but he definitely needs to work on his voice acting. A little too over the top for my liking.
  • Us old folks can relate to this version better.

• edited August 2021

So that new What If episode was wild. Never thought they'd cover Fury's Big Week, let alone the Incredible Hulk film at all (never seen it, but I assume Ross' daughter and her job has something to do with it)

Apart from the ending in which Fury makes a deal, finds out the meaning behind "its all about Hope" and goes to San Francisco super quick, the episode was alright. Not sure how Hank got the Yellowjacket suit, since that wouldn't be made for years after, but this show's all about crazy twisting of events, having Ant Man appear so early in the timeline. (Was Hope a Shield agent this whole time? I forget how she came into the picture in the first Ant Man film.)

Also, cool that we saw the tiniest bit of blood in this episode. It's only gonna make that Marvel Zombies episode seem even weirder, when there's a lack of it.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch the 'All Hail the King' Marvel short. It's from 2014, just got randomly added to Disney Plus, and I think it's gonna connect to Shang Chi. Some majorly interesting set-up of events, if what's revealed at the end comes to fruition in SC and the Ten Rings...
    Damn, the bread crumbs they left behind, only to pick it up 7 years later.... that'd be really impressive.

• Was Hope a Shield agent this whole time? I forget how she came into the picture in the first Ant Man film.

She was working with Darren Cross (The Wasp) in Ant-Man. Her being a Shield agent was just a thing for this episode, as a catalyst for the events.

Also, cool that we saw the tiniest bit of blood in this episode. It's only gonna make that Marvel Zombies episode seem even weirder, when there's a lack of it.

Yeah I wonder how the violence in that will be handled. From what we’ve seen from the promos they did gore up the zombies, with Cap missing chunks from his body and Hawkeye having parts of his brain exposed with some blood splattered around them. At first I was doubtful on how they’d handle it because it’s Disney but after this episode I think that it might go a bit harder. Well as hard as it can go in a PG13 series.

AChicken posted: »

So that new What If episode was wild. Never thought they'd cover Fury's Big Week, let alone the Incredible Hulk film at all (never seen it,

• When Marvel finally makes an Asian led superhero movie but it’s not coming to streaming for a few weeks and your state is under a perpetual lockdown.

• edited September 2021

Newest episode of What If? is fantastic. I don’t want to say anything else but that. It’s, in my opinion, the best episode of the series so far. Really good voice acting, stunning animation and fight scenes, really great visuals, really good pacing and a pretty effective score, especially towards the end. My only complaint, and this is minor in the grand scheme of things, is that there are two or so lines that could have had better delivery. Aside from that, everything else is top notch. I’m very happy with the show right now and I’m glad that the creative team is staying true to the spirit of the original premise.

Spoiler notes

I can’t believe they managed to make this episode even darker than the last. That ending is just pure bleakness.
    Seeing Christine being destined to die was super fucked up, but I did find it funny that even if she makes it to the award ceremony, she suffers a heart attack. The universe really had it out for her.
    Loved all those monster designs. Cool to see the return of that weird tentacle thing from Captain Carter.
    I’m surprised they managed to get the entire Doctor Strange cast back. It was cool!
    Interesting to see The Watcher actually interact with the subject this time. I wonder if this is building up to him inevitably intervening with an event further down the line.
    This episode gives me a lot of hope for the Marvel Zombies episode. I’m excited to see how far they’ll go with it.

• All I can say about the newest episode is that it's in dire need of a part 2, hopefully next week. Because the story is left completely unfinished.

• edited September 2021

Newest episode of What If? was a lot of fun, but also one of the darkest (but at the same time one of the goofiest) and most violent episode of the series so far. I’m surprised with how much they managed to get away with. This really pushes the PG13 rating. The pacing was good up until the end where it just kind of… ends. Voice acting continues to be good and Sebastian Stan is much better in this than he was in Captain Carter. I do wish they toned down the humour in this a bit, but I do get why did wrote it that way. The episode would be really grim and horrifying otherwise, which I would have loved, but it might freak out younger audiences if they did lol. Really enjoyed the episode overall though.

Spoiler notes

I’m really impressed with how much gore they managed to get away with, particularly with Falcon getting split down the middle and Cap getting Maul’d. Not to mention Wong and Tony getting decapitated right at the start.
    The way this ends makes me think that there could be a potential continuation somewhere down the line, either in this season or the next.
    The revelation that Vision had been capturing people and feeding them to Wanda was fuckin’ DARK, especially with T’Challa being strapped to a table missing a leg.
    There are a couple references to the Marvel Zombies comics in here which are neat. One being Ant-Man’s head being put in a jar and T’Challa being revealed to have survived.
    Hope gets into a similar situation with Goliath from the Civil War comics, where she died while in giant form and stayed that way.

• This really pushes the PG13 rating

Wait, is there... blood? (For once in this show)

I've been behind on last week's episode, just waiting on the OK from my sister on whether I can or cannot watch it without her... I've heard the past two episodes were pretty good (though with Zombies being an abrupt end)

lupinb0y posted: »

Newest episode of What If? was a lot of fun, but also one of the darkest (but at the same time one of the goofiest) and most violent episode

• There’s blood but it’s mostly zombie blood lol.

This really pushes the PG13 rating Wait, is there... blood? (For once in this show) I've been behind on last week's episode, just

• Interesting! That's basically what I expected. The rest of the Human blood so far has been non-existent in this series so far, was wondering how far they'd take it with this latest episode, they've already got some gory designs.

There’s blood but it’s mostly zombie blood lol.

• edited September 2021

What If's humor really needs to stop in all honesty. Obviously its Marvel so there is humor, but this humor has felt so artificial. Everyone is overly quippy and it becomes super jarring when characters who were not this way now are and that sort of ruins the "What If" factor if these characters don't actually feel like they are the same characters in a hypothetical situation. They just feel like different characters. I mean in this episode we have Hope blowing up inside Sherry and they make a joke out of it and no one gives a shit about it but then now that Hope is dying now its sad times? Scott makes a joke about his friend being killed in front of him? Fucking, huh? Korath in episode 2 was bizarre as hell and not remotely the same character, and same goes for Peggy to a lesser extent.

Obviously these are all "What If's" so it can debated that it can be different without reason, but I am trying to say having the characters act and feel this different ruins the What If factor because none of it feels familiar but now with a twist. I sort of get the feeling that because What If won't have any actual importance in the MCU there isn't as much of a focus on how the stories unfold unlike other Marvel projects.

Newest episode of What If? was a lot of fun, but also one of the darkest (but at the same time one of the goofiest) and most violent episode

• I saw the Doctor Strange episode of What If. It was absolutely insane. Really good episode, dark, pacing was a bit quick at times, but wow, they pack a lot into this one. It felt a lot longer than 35 minutes...

Great voice acting by Benedict Cumberbatch (and the rest of the DS cast that appears), some of his lines felt like he held back a bit or didn't get clear direction on what he's asking/calling out to, but otherwise, especially near the end, really good.

My God, they take the Dormammu Bargain concept and turn it into a horror story.
    The sequence where Supreme is absorbing the energy of the various creatures was stunning, as was the fight later on between the two Stranges.

There's a great subversion where you think Supreme Strange is gonna win and get his wish, but it all falls apart (the framing as the world implodes on itself is cinematic beauty). What a dark and depressing ending. Nice Watcher cameo too.

• Hawkeye trailer inbound in the next 24 hours.

• Here it is!

I didn't think we'd see another Christmas-themed thing in the MCU again (well other than the GOTG Holiday Special next year), but this is a nice surprise

• It looks really fun! Kinda getting a Lethal Weapon/Die Hard vibe from it.

Here it is! I didn't think we'd see another Christmas-themed thing in the MCU again (well other than the GOTG Holiday Special next year), but this is a nice surprise

• edited September 2021

Giving a tentative thumbs up to the Zombies episode of What If.
    It's enjoyable, but I feel like only 30 minutes of runtime held it back, as well as some of the goofy writing.
    The framing of it within Infinity War was surprising. Didn't think we'd get a massive crossover episode like that. There were a lot of characters in this one...

I liked the black-comedy-horror tone this episode had. Felt pretty Shaun-of-the-Dead at times, with characters in such dire situations they can't help but fumble their way through in a silly way. But sometimes this episode really needed to push the brakes on the comedy. Let character deaths be sad deaths. Let tense moments be tense, let characters be afraid.

Happy's "Blam" thing was weird, as was Sharon's quip after killing him :(
    90% of Scott Lang's lines were intended to be jokes... whyyy...

The payoff of Scott's electrician buddy afraid of Baba Yaga being twisted into Wanda was a nice callback, as was Reverse-Wandavision scenario where they still can't be happy together WTFFF MARVEL. I also really enjoyed Peter's love of old movies tying into survival tactics for the zombie apocalypse.
    And the gore. Wow that's some gore. Heads cut off, Zombies cut in half, hanging limbs, people being eaten alive (off-screen)... yeah this is pretty metal at times. The idea of the people retaining their muscle memory as zombies is also neat.
    Ah, speaking of Peter Parker, his sound-a-like actor was pretty good in this! His soft-spoken-ness and occasional raspy accent sounded a lot like Tom Holland. I also noticed the Stark suit was a bit different. No black bands on the arms and different Spider Logo. I guess that's cause Sony owns those, but Disney is still allowed to make animated Spider-Man TV Series, so they twisted it a bit? That probably explains why Tom isn't here either.

I wonder if they'll continue this in Season 2, since that ending was pretty sudden and cliffhanger-y. You can't just show us zombie Thanos and not do anything with that! Let Thor go for the head for real this time!

• edited September 2021

This weeks episode is another fun one and makes some pretty good use of the What If format along with continuing the darker tone set from the previous few episodes, though this weeks episode definitely suffers from its pacing. Michael B. Jordan does a great job here (aside from maybe a couple lines which I feel could have been said with more impact) and the guy doing Tony Stark sounds really damn close to RDJ.

The animation continues to be good, especially towards the end which has some really wonderful looking action. I really wish the next season or whatever have episodes that aren't constrained to a half hour format and just let it end when it needs to end. They cram a lot of stuff into this weeks episode and it just kind of ends without a proper conclusion. Out of all the episodes so far, this is the one that feels like it will have a continuation of some sort. Despite all this, I still that this was an enjoyable episode overall and far from bad in my opinion.

Spoiler notes

Damn that was pretty fucked up watching Black Panther getting murdered by Killmonger, though his speech at the end in the afterlife was great. He really does get the most poignant dialogue in this series.
    This is the third episode where we've seen Tony Stark get horribly killed lol. I wonder how many more we'll see.
    They really need to start adding blood into this series lol, even just a little bit.
    I really enjoyed watching Killmonger play both sides in order to come out on top. Though you definitely have to suspend your disbelief in him being able to so smoothly pull everything off.
    Seeing Ramonda wearing the Dora Milaje gear and being at the frontlines fighting off the army was badass. I wanna see more of that.
    Killmongers "Wakanda forever!" just wasn't hitting it. Either he didn't put enough oomph into it or it's the american accent. I can't tell.
    Shuri appearing like 10 in this is a nice touch. Makes sense considering the time period, but weirdly jarring at the same time.
    Interesting that the Watcher is getting more visible each episode. I assume this is leading up to him actually interfering with events in order to save the multiverse or something.

• Beware, the audio for the Venom: Let There Be Carnage after credits scene has leaked online. There's no confirmation that it's real but Sony's actively taking it down so...

• I wouldnt be surprised if the post credit scene leaked synopses going around is real, but I also think the audio is fake similar to that other Spider-Man leak where the video was real but someone put fake audio over it.

Also I know its Sony and Sony is a complete mess for continuity, but this would mean for the audio to make sense Venom has always been in the MCU which already brings a ton of continuity errors as he wouldn't be able to watch the TV revealing Spider-Man's identity if he was brought into the MCU universe later. Which is mainly why I feel this audio isnt truly accurate, but then again Sony does not care so really a toss up lol

Beware, the audio for the Venom: Let There Be Carnage after credits scene has leaked online. There's no confirmation that it's real but Sony's actively taking it down so...

• Considering what you're implying...

I'm gonna believe it's fake for now.
    Just yesterday, Andy Serkis (the director of Venom 2) said that it was inevitable that Tom Holland's Spider-Man would crossover with Tom Hardy's Venom, he just doesn't know how yet, just that -- in a legal and financial sense -- anyone can see its bound to happen... I take that as "Andy isn't going to be the man to cross them over, and has no plans to in Venom, but knows that one day it will happen..." so... that end credits audio might be fake.

Beware, the audio for the Venom: Let There Be Carnage after credits scene has leaked online. There's no confirmation that it's real but Sony's actively taking it down so...

• It had better be fake since this would mean Venom was in the MCU the whole time and that makes no damn sense. I was fine when I thought that it would be some multiverse thing that brought the two together but this would make me mad lmao.

Poogers555 posted: »

I wouldnt be surprised if the post credit scene leaked synopses going around is real, but I also think the audio is fake similar to that other Spider-Man leak where the video was real but someone put fake audio over it. (Spoiler)

• Man I sure hope it is because I absolutely hate it lol

Considering what you're implying... (Spoiler)

• Hopefully it will be a multiverse thing. I think that would also simply be way more exciting for No Way Home. I do think the post credit will be a Spider-Man tease, but idk even for Sony that audio seems like a big "I dont care about continuity." But also: Sony.

(Spoiler)

• Yeah it has to be Spider-Man related at the very least since according to the people who got to see it early, the audience was absolutely hollering.

Poogers555 posted: »

(Spoiler)

• edited September 2021

This weeks episode of What If? was really dumb but also really entertaining and pretty damn funny. By far the most light hearted episode since episode 2. The pacing in this one's actually good too which was surprising. It didn't feel like it needed to be any bit shorter or longer and it ends with some interesting ramifications. You can tell Chris Hemsworth had a blast playing a huge goober (more so than usual anyway). The voice work for the most part is pretty good, however Kat Dennings is definitely a little rougher than everyone elses. The action in this is also pretty darn superb, feeling like something straight out of Dragonball. Only two more episodes left, looking forward to seeing how the season ends.

Spoiler notes

I'm really surprised Natalie Portman returned to voice Jane in this. Looks like her relationship with the MCU has been fully repaired thanks to Taiki Waititi.
    The fight between Captain Marvel and Thor was great. Like I mentioned it felt like a fight straight out of Dragonball but without all the filler.
    I wonder if the line with Thor asking CM to smile in a jab at the people complaining about how she didn't smile in the original trailer for her movie.
    I really enjoyed the saturday morning cartoon tone the episode had. It kinda feels needed considering how dark the past few episodes have been lol.
    The episode ends with an Ultron from another universe having been able to get Vision's body but he's decked out with the Infinity Stones. I'm interested to see how all this is resolved. It's clear that the Watcher will be breaking his code in order to save the multiverse by pulling in different heroes from each of the timelines we've seen so far.
    Also Maria Hill lookin' like she was ripped straight out of the comic in this.
    Loved that the countries had their names engraved on them. Felt very Looney Tunes.
    Frost Giant Loki is great. I really like that they're pretty much still brothers even when they never grew up together.

• Steve Ditko's estate has filed a termination notice against Marvel on a number of characters created/co-created by Steve Ditko in order to reclaim the rights. The list of characters include Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Hawkeye and Falcon. If they succeed, this would mean Marvel as a whole would lose the rights to these characters by the year 2023. Meaning their appearances in movies, television and even comic books would be put into question. Disney is suing in retaliation in order to continue keeping the rights to these characters.

Welp.

• Well... holy shit. I'm glad his estate might be trying to reclaim rights or ownership of some of the properties (who often get associated to Stan Lee's legacy), but uhhh

This ain't cool.

Steve Ditko's estate has filed a termination notice against Marvel on a number of characters created/co-created by Steve Ditko in order to r

• I mean, it's unlikely that Disney will lose and the Ditko estate will probably get a hefty paycheck in return but WHAT IF...?

Well... holy shit. I'm glad his estate might be trying to reclaim rights or ownership of some of the properties (who often get associated to Stan Lee's legacy), but uhhh This ain't cool.

• According to various press releases for Disney Plus October additions, not only will we be getting The Making of What If..?, but we're also getting a The Making of Black Widow, a week after that releases to the service.

Awesome! I only thought they'd be making mini documentaries on the D+ series... more looks at the film's would be great!

• Been watching what if with friends. Not the biggest marvel fan but the episodes have been really fun to watch. My favorites have to be either the doctor strange or star lord episode (the zombies one was good too though)

• edited September 2021

I saw the Iron Man/Killmonger episode tonight.

Interesting twist and blend of Iron Man and Black Panther, though this episode once again ended at a weird cliffhanger-y note.

• Mick Wingert did a really, really good job as Tony Stark. He sounded nearly identical to Downey Jr. Most of the other sound-alike voices in this series usually have a bit of a tell that they're not the genuine article, but this guy was near-perfect.
    • Unfortunately I can't say the same for Ozioma Akagha as Shuri. She sounded way off from how Letitia Wright sounds. I got a few similarities, but her pitch felt too extreme. Highs were too high, lows were too low.
    • I get that this series twists some Marvel lore, but I wonder why they had T'Challa be Black Panther and not the still-living T'Chaka. Ah well, more of the late Chadwick is good with me.
    • Killmonger killing Rhodey like that felt a bit off. I get that he needed to pin the murder on someone, but I feel like he wouldn't have done that to Rhodes with his mantra of US oppression. Maybe I'm not understanding it right though.
    • The second half being a rehash of Black Panther was okay, though I still feel (much like with the Captain Carter episode) it was too similar to the events we've already seen.
      Killmonger brings in Klaue, gets close to the throne, gets the Black Panther herb, and at the end seems like he'll want to kill the king. We've seen that already -- in a different order, sure -- but I hope if there's a sequel to this in the next season, it goes further and really breaks away from the established plot points.

• Michael B Jordan, Chadwick Boseman and Don Cheadle I think were the only actors who really nailed the voice-acting in this series. Everyone else who has appeared always seems like they're over-enunciating or articulating. But those three sounded really similar to their movie counterparts. Great job on that.

Next episode seems to be "Thor throws a massive world-ending party" and that sounds insanely hilarious. Can't wait.

• edited September 2021

Okay, Episode 7 is great.
    Super dumb, but super fun.

Seeing Frost Giant Loki was pretty dang awesome. This dude is huge. Odin really nerfed him in the main timeline lol.
    The various guest characters appearing throughout the episode was nice. RIP Fury's back after that sick canonball from Korg.
    The Captain Marvel fight was spectacular, as it should be.
    The ending bit where Frigga was coming to Earth was silly but funny, though the comedic element of him and the others cleaning up super quickly as she flew down felt like a cheap joke. I thought the Bifrost was like light-speed travel?

With that ending, it seems like

we're building up to the crossover finale, where all the heroes will fight Ultron-Vision + Infinity Stones. I guess this week's episode might be his backstory?

According to Collider interviewing one of the producers, Season 1 was supposed to have 10 episodes, but due to the Covid19 Pandemic, they couldn't complete one, and it's been pushed back into Season 2.

"We had to push an episode into Season 2. It was just, honestly, like everything else, that was a COVID impact. There was an episode that just wouldn't hit the completion date, but luckily we do get to see it in the second season of the show," said Winderbaum, who added that "Season 2 will also be 9," thereby confirming 18 episodes in total.

So, we're getting 9 episodes for Season 1 and 9 episodes for Season 2. Two episodes left for the first half.

• edited September 2021

Really enjoyed this weeks episode of What If?, one of my favourites thus far. It's a more serious episode than the last couple but it still has some humour scattered around. Aside from the beginning of the episode where it's trying to catch the audience up on what's going on with the universe, the pacing was actually pretty good. There's some great action and visuals going on, and it goes to some pretty dark places, ending in a cliffhanger that made me go "FUCK I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK." Very much looking forward to the season finale.

Spoiler notes:

Tony Stark dies again this episode! How many more times are they going to kill this man.
    Lmao Ultron just splitting Thanos in half was fucked up but it got a laugh out of me.
    Not hearing Paul Bettany's voice coming out of his body was super jarring.
    RIP Captain Marvel. It took the explosion of an entire planet to take you out. What a beast.
    Infinite Ultron sullen expression when he realises he's completed his mission only to hear the Watcher narrating over him was great. Loved that scene.
    I really like how exasperated the Watcher was in this episode lol. Especially with him yelling at Clint to pick the one box.
    They did a really nice switcheroo parallel with the sacrificing scene in Endgame here and the shot of Clint falling into the sea of Ultron drones as he fires his final arrow was badass.
    Really enjoyed the fight between Ultron and the Watcher with them traversing through the multiverse and Ultron beating him so hard that they transported to different universes with every punch. Loved the visuals here.
    Finally we see the return of Supreme Sorcerer Strange and it looks like they'll be bringing together a group of remarkable people from across the multiverse, to fight a battle they could never fight alone.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.