Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• Oh man, feeling the same way here
    "nooo, I have to wait another week for the end!"

This was a great, dark episode. Some of the pacing was a bit fast, and the more frequent moments with the Watcher in this episode were pretty fun.

• I don't like the lack of explanation (or oversight?) On where/how Natasha and Clint are alive. Is this the same Ultron-Wins universe? If so, didn't he destroy all life and gained a superior consciousness?
    • The idea that Thanos could do the same with all the stones is kinda creepy, though he doesn't seem like the type. A machine with a super lazer though... wow that was a crazy moment. Just... dead. Like that.
    • Pacing for the scene where Clint and Nat were crawling out of the missile silo took some huge artistic liberty. You telling me they can climb faster than flying super-robots can... fly?
    • The reality fight was dang cool. I guess having all 5 reality stones is equal to the power of a guy who can control and see over every reality at once?
  • edited September 2021

I still can't believe Hyundai released this ad the very first week What If premiered. Totally spoils what next week's events are going to be, minus the car.

Also lupinb0y you got it right

looks like they'll be bringing together a group of remarkable people from across the multiverse, to fight a battle they could never fight alone.

• edited October 2021

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS! What a good movie!

Martial arts fights were really awesome. Not too many cuts in them, so good work Simu and his Stunt Doubles!
    Lots of eastern-asian locales and themes
    Lots of subtitled moments, I'm sure the first 10 minutes was just that! Pretty unique for a Marvel movie, they haven't had much of that since Black Panther, and even then I don't think it was on the same level as this. (Not that it's a competition or anything...)
    I had some issues with the typical third act battle, but apart from that the film was pretty solid. I'm already hyped for more Shang Chi in the future.

In terms of spoilers...
    That bus fight near the start was epic! Loved the music and the choreography there.
    Wong appeared! Wow! Did not expect that.
    Even Trevor Slattery! I had a hunch they'd do it but I didn't actually believe it'd happen for as long as it did. Full-on speaking, comedic relief role, plus wacky CGI pet (the former I felt was a bit strange since we already had Akwafina. Though I guess she doesn't fill the "chaotic neutral" role)
    And that third act CGI battle. The one between Shang and his father was pretty darn sweet, though what happened after I felt dragged on way too long. It was a lot of Simu Liu hanging on to the back of a CGI Dragon, while it slowly beat up a CGI Monster. The part where it was gonna get its soul sucked out raised the stakes a bit and was interesting, but I just didn't feel the action in that part. Music I felt didn't have enough weight to it either.
    Apparently these things are planned years in advance (sometimes the whole film) so I guess it's out of the director's hands sometimes. That might be why Wandavision's felt so out of place. Hopefully Chloe Zhao can put her mark into Eternals...

Very excited for whatever's next for the Shang-Chi cast. Seems like he'll be joining the Avengers now... whenever that next movie is gonna happen. Also is he and Katie dating, or platonic? It's kinda unclear, hoping for the latter.
    Also interested in what his sister will be doing? Finally a gender-balanced Ten Rings, but will their intentions be good or bad?

Also, very interested in when Iron Fist is gonna enter the fold. That's the only other Marvel property i know that has such close ties to martial arts and spiritual alternate universes, so this seemed like a nice primer for that too.

Also, lots of movies coming out soon, according to trailers tonight.
    Matrix 4, The King's Man, West Side Story, Spiderman NWH... all December films.

Speaking of Spidey... I'm gonna do the most crazy pop culture decision ever.
    I'm gonna (attempt to) avoid all future No Way Home trailers.

I already know I'm gonna see it in December. I already know the old baddies are in it. Anything else is a good bonus. The other spideys are still rumored right now, the actors are doing their darnedest to temper expectations, but if it happens and Sony puts it in a trailer (which they will), I don't want to see it.
    Avoiding memes and screengrabs about it might be impossible, but I don't want to see any more context or moving pictures of this movie until I'm sitting in a theatre seat.

• I know it’s not a MCU movie but I saw Venom 2 yesterday and I enjoyed it. It’s pretty much what I expected but it was fun. The cgi on carnage was really cool.

Thought I should say it’s not an MCU movie so I don’t give away the end credits scene because damn this next Spiderman movie’s gonna be crazy.

• edited October 2021

Really quite enjoyed the finale of What If? season 1. The character interactions are fun, the actions great, and the voice acting continues to be strong for the most part. However, this episode really reinforces my opinion that this series should not be tied down to a time limit because the first half of this episode runs at a breakneck speed. There's a lot of information being handed to both the audience and the characters and there just isn't enough time for anything to really set in before they have to go settle the conflict. Either this episode should have been given at least another 10 minutes or be broken into two episodes. It's especially annoying since the live action MCU shows have clearly been given a good amount of wiggle room considering they can range from 30 to 50 minutes. Aside from my one massive complaint, I did enjoy the overall episode and am looking forward to season 2. Also keep in mind that there's a mid-credits scene teasing some stuff!

One of the characters featured in the finale was supposed to have an episode around them this season but unfortunately it couldn't be completed in time so it was pushed onto season 2. So if you're wondering why this person is here that's why.

Spoiler Notes:

They really made Killmonger into a huge villain huh? Well he was gonna commit a worldwide genocide in Black Panther so that tracks. Annoyed that him and Starlord T'Challa didn't have any sort of conversation though. I think that could have been neat.
    That alt Gamora's universe looked really interesting, with her and Stark on Nidavellir building an Infinite Gauntlet in order to put a suit of armour around the world. Seems like in this universe, Gamora takes over as Thanos considering she's wearing a version of his armour.
    I wonder if the next season will also have an overarching story like this or if it'll return to being an anthology series with disconnected stories. The end with Surpreme Strange felt really ominous so I don't think it's the last we'll see of him.
    Carter and Natasha sure do stare at each other a lot huh.
    Looks like we'll for sure getting a continuation of Captain Carter judging by that mid-credits scene which is neat!

• According to the head writer of What If? A.C. Bradley and director Bryan Andrews, there were plans for Starlord T'Challa to spin off into his own show. Damn, that would have been neat to see. At the very least, it was great that Chadwick Boseman was able to voice such a fun version of T'Challa before his passing, especially considering how poignant his lines or those around him became at times.

• An Agatha Harkness spinoff is reportedly in development at Disney Plus

Variety article

A “WandaVision” spinoff starring Kathryn Hahn is in development at Disney Plus from Marvel Studios, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

Hahn would reprise the role of Agatha Harkness in the series, which is described by sources as a dark comedy, though exact plot details remain under wraps. “WandaVision” head writer Jac Schaeffer would serve as the writer and executive producer on the project. Should the spinoff go forward, it would be the first project Schaeffer has set up with Marvel since she signed an overall deal with them and 20th Television in May.

• So, apparently they've casted Adam Warlock for GOTG vol. 3.

I know there was some speculation on his appearance in the MCU online awhile ago, so this will be interesting.

• Mehhhhhhh.

She was such an average-tier MCU antagonist. Literally compared to everyone else who has been in a phase 4 project, she seems to be the most unnecessary for a spinoff. Give my boy John Walker a show on Disney Plus or something, I beg of you.

AChicken posted: »

An Agatha Harkness spinoff is reportedly in development at Disney Plus Variety article A “WandaVision” spinoff starring Kathryn Hah

• Apparently the original casting call was for a 'Zac Efron type' so this is a bit surprising.
    I haven't seen this guy in any sort of film for a few years, so this is some exciting news.

Plus, I trust Gunn's direction will at least pull out some form of a fun character, and Sarah Halley Finn's casting hasn't really failed her in 10+ years now, so I've got faith.

So, apparently they've casted Adam Warlock for GOTG vol. 3. https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1447692879678353408 I know there was some speculation on his appearance in the MCU online awhile ago, so this will be interesting.

• Note: I guess I didn't post this? I wrote it last week 🤔

Saw the finale to What If.

What an epic final battle.
    Okay, the Hyundai Ad didn't really spoil the location or events of the finale, it played out differently, but I would have liked for that one key element of the episode to have remained a mystery.

I do agree with Lupin above that it needed more time, just like all the other ones did too.
    Events happen really quickly at the start, so having a bit more time to see characters get acquainted or the Watcher maybe formulate a plan would have been nice.

Captain Carter's modern suit looks dope! Love the silver lining to the Union Jack, really cool design choice.
    Seems like she's recreating the events to Winter Soldier at the start too.

The big battle with Ultron was really nice. Party Thor starting it off with a cocky lightning strike (and a weirdly deep love of Vegas) was funny. Seeing Strange make copies of Mjolnir to throw at Ultron was super cool too.

The whole fight to get the stones was tense, lots of changing hands. I love how Strange used the various monsters he absorbed.

When Ultron did his final phase move and became an unstoppable nuclear bomb, that was really cool! The white lighting in the city, Natasha riding her motorcycle on and around debris. Super nice.

Killmonger getting the stones was surprising, even more so how it was resolved wirh Ultron -- they get put in a little pocket universe.
    And Strange gets to intern as a Watcher lol

Not sure if that post-credits scene is meant to be an Epilogue to Carter or a sequel tease for the next one.
    At least in the next season we get a cool Tomy-on-Sakaar episode (probably with lots of Iron Man 1 callbacks), and Gamora killing Thanos. And since he's in this latest episode, I guess Tony finally lives!

• I watched Venom: Let There Be Carnage yesterday.

It definitely exceeded my expectations. My opinions on the first film is that it's so bad it's good, so I was expecting for LTBC to be like that. It was such a fun movie.

Also that Venom coming out scene did not disappoint.

Kind of a shame they killed off Carnage at the end, was hoping we would see more of him after this film. Also, that post credits scene was so cool. I saw rumors about it and saw the leaked footage of it before watching the film but seeing it on the big screen felt really different. I'm really hyped for whatever they do next.

They also showed a trailer for Morbius before the movie and to be honest, if they never showed that, I would have completely forgotten of that film ever existing.

• Bruh I had no idea Will Poulter is British. What the fuck.

• edited October 2021

Empire Magazine has a feature about Spider-Man: No Way Home this month. The covers reveal a new suit and a confirmed returning villain!

Normal newsstand cover

New suit confirmed! (And whats with all that sand in the corner?)

Subscriber variant cover

Villain iconography: Doc Ock claws, Green Goblin bomb, Electro's lightning bolt in the corner, and on the other side... a Sandman hand!

Edit: Also new images! Could mean a trailer is on the horizon.

Babe. New Meme format just dropped.

• Hawkeye poster is out!

The purple outfit is finally coming true! Also, two-episode premiere. Seems like they really want to get this one over with by Dec. 25th (6 episodes in total) Plus the Book of Boba Fett starts on December 29th, and they've got to make sure the two hype trains don't overlap I guess!

• edited October 2021

Cinema's are finally open for double vaxxed people where I'm at so of course I went and watched Shang-Chi. I really really quite enjoyed this movie. This is some of the best action in the MCU, and by far the best hand to hand combat in the franchise. The bus scene in particular is absolutely fantastic. They even have a couple really cool "one shot" scenes, though they go by pretty quick. So much of the action reminds me of things like Jackie Chan's work, Kung Fu Hustle and Wuxia styled movies and tv shows my mom used to watch when I was a kid. There's even some scenes involving the manipulation of air and water that really reminded me of Avatar. This felt more like an Avatar movie then the Shyamalan movie did.

One thing I really have to praise is the heavy use of Mandarin (the language not the character lol). The first 10 or so minutes is entirely spoken in Mandarin Chinese and a bunch of characters speak it throughout the entire movie. A good maybe 20% of the movies dialogue is in Mandarin. That's just really cool to me. I also very much enjoyed Tony Leung as Wenwu (AKA the Mandaring, the character not the language). He's up there as one of the best MCU villains by far. He's really well developed, gets a ton of screentime and you can really empathies with him (for the most part). I'm really glad they didn't end up wasting him.

Simu Liu as Shang Chi is great as well, though he does get overshadowed by Tony Leung in certain scenes, but to be fair, pretty much everyone gets overshadowed by him. I really like Shang Chi as a character. He's got this really kind of earnest feel to him that reminds me a but of Peter Parker. I also really enjoyed his relationship with Akwafina's character, Katy. They have some really great chemistry throughout the entire movie.

Probably the worst thing I can say is that the second half of the movie isn't quite as engaging as the first half. Not that it's bad, it was still fun and entertaining and some really cool moments, but you could definitely feel that Marvel formula coming into play. Also some the CG gets a bit iffy, but I guess that's par for the course unfortunately.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that they didn't fuck up the intro for the MCU's first asian superhero and I'm happy that it's doing as well as it is during a pandemic. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Shang Chi in the future.

• edited November 2021

Another new picture from No Way Home... This movie takes place entirely on this bridge lmao

No Way Home... from traffic lol

rumors are currently:

• We get the new trailer on November 5th, Eternals release date.
    • We get the new trailer by November 19th, Ghostbusters: Afterlife release (Sony/Columbia Movie)
  • edited November 2021

So this movie has the (presumably) MCU Vulture, the Sam Raimi Spider-Man suit and Daily Bugle logo, and the ASM 1 and 2 Oscorp logo. What is this universe?

The newspaper at 2:00 references Rhino and mentions Black Cat which is neat.

• edited November 2021

Watched Eternals and I quite enjoyed it! Visually it's definitely one of he MCU's best looking movies. It's just really good looking cinematography and excellent CG and visuals. I really like the gold aesthetic they use, it just looks really neat. They also do a really good job with the sense of scale between the Eternals and the Celestials. The Celestials look and feel incredibly intimidating, like they're all powerful Gods, which is a great tease for what could potentially happen in the future. The movie also has my favourite presentation of a speedster I've seen in a movie yet. You get some really cool moments with Makkari, played by Lauren Ridloff, who plays Connie on The Walking Dead.

Despite the long run time, not all of the Eternals get much character development, though what is there I really liked. Each of them have their own agendas that may or may not necessarily align with their goals as a group, but for the most part they still respect one another despite conflicting ideologies. They all treat each other like family, warts and all. I also enjoyed seeing how each of them lived their lives on Earth. Phastos has a pretty sweet moment in the movie. This is also the most restrained an MCU movie has ever been in terms of humour. There'll be long stretches where it's all focused on the drama and there's rarely a moment where a serious moment is undercut by humour. The movie actually gives the characters a chance to breath. Though that's not to say there isn't humour, there's still some funny stuff that pops up every so often, particularly with Kumail Nanjiani's character, Kingo.

The Deviant antagonist is almost interesting. They bring up something I thought would get more play later on but it's dropped lol. I wish they did more with that. The movie definitely a bit too long and you can feel it by the end. There are definitely some moments where I felt scenes could have been shortened for the sake of my bones. There's also quite a bit of exposition going on since the movie is introducing an entirely new world into the MCU that will have major ramifications for the future. The mid and after credits scenes are also pretty wild and they pull some fuckin' deep cuts that had me go "WHOOOO???"

Overall, while it's not the MCU at it's best it's certainly far from its worse. I like that it tries to do some different things from the Marvel formula even if it doesn't succeed all the way. I think it's weird that critics are ranking this lower than Thor: The Dark World but what do I know lmao.

• edited November 2021

The official poster for Spider-Man: No Way Home is out! Spoiler tagged in case someone doesn't want to see it lol.

Nice. So Doc Ock, Goblin, Sandman and Electro are 100% confirmed. I wonder who the other two will be. I'm going to guess Lizard and Rhino, so three from the Raimi trilogy and three from the ASM duology.

• edited November 2021

Despite the fact that I've steeled myself to not watch it under any circumstances...

The lack of Tobey or Andrew here is a bit concerning for what the next trailer might show.

While I'd personally want their inclusion (which is definitely happening) to be hidden until the movie, I can't help but think Sony is really dropping the ball marketing-wise by avoiding this. If this movie wants to go really big, it needs to go BIG in marketing. Plenty of the casual Marvel fans I'm sure would flock to the theatres if they were confirmed to be in the film. Word of mouth might do it, but it's weird seeing Sony so restrained so far. They are definitely the kind of company who would want major pre-sale ticket numbers.

I can only hope there's some sort of brief tease of other Spideys in the next trailer to somewhat confirm this supposedly badly-kept secret.

Wait!! This is still just the teaser poster, right? Like these ones

There's still hope the final, big marketing poster comes out later... most likely as soon as the movie comes out haha. (Since he's masked here, and they definitely need to show Holland's face every time)

lupinb0y posted: »

The official poster for Spider-Man: No Way Home is out! Spoiler tagged in case someone doesn't want to see it lol. (Spoiler)

• I'm almost certain that the actual non-teaser trailer will have Tobey and Andrew pop up at the end or something. I don't see Sony having the restraint to hide them until the movies release especially how big of a reveal that would be. Hell, they couldn't help but put Michael Keaton in the teaser trailer for Morbius.

Wait!! This is still just the teaser poster, right? Like these ones

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a teaser poster. I assume we're still going to get the poster with the floating heads.

Despite the fact that I've steeled myself to not watch it under any circumstances... (Spoiler) Wait!! This is still just the teaser po

• edited November 2021

I've done a bit of research, and it's pretty crazy how the final official poster for Far From Home came out around 41 days before the film's release (May 22->July 2), as far as I can tell.

Currently we are 39 Days from the release of No Way Home. And we just got the first poster. Wild.

I assume we're still going to get the poster with the floating heads.

Don't forget the duplicate characters. Though this time, Sony might finally have a valid excuse to do that.

(Spoiler) Wait!! This is still just the teaser poster, right? Like these ones Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a teaser poster. I assume we're still going to get the poster with the floating heads.

• if feige doesnt give me that second trailer i am going to break into his office and make him feel uncomfortable

• I thought you hated Far From Home.

I always thought it was better than Homecoming. Homecoming didn't even feel like a Spidey film.

if feige doesnt give me that second trailer i am going to break into his office and make him feel uncomfortable

• Kevin Feige calling in Marvel Studios security.

if feige doesnt give me that second trailer i am going to break into his office and make him feel uncomfortable

• Bruh I had no idea Will Poulter is British

I would have thought he'd be known as a British actor first. Hm.
    Well sit your butt down Lupin and watch Narnia 3: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Or Black Mirror: Bandersnatch?

Bruh I had no idea Will Poulter is British. What the fuck.

• Beware, a wave of shit just leaked for No Way Home and I got caught in it. This is the leakiest boat I have ever seen what the Hell.

• He's so Bri'ish.

Bruh I had no idea Will Poulter is British I would have thought he'd be known as a British actor first. Hm. Well sit your butt down Lupin and watch Narnia 3: Voyage of the Dawn Treader Or Black Mirror: Bandersnatch?

• edited November 2021

i despise far from home but also spider-man is literally my second favorite fictional character period and there are 3 spidey movies in my top 50 and 8 of my top 10 favorite comic book stories are spider-man stories and i adored homecoming and i think both tobey and andrew are great spider-men so im very excited for no way home.

i am a slut for peter parker

edit: tbh i dont even despise far from home its just kinda the absolute opposite thing i was looking for in a spider-man movie.

in terms of filmmaking its super amateurish in everything but the fully CGI sequences, score and performances (jesus christ pull the camera back JON), and as a spider-man story its the polar opposite of what i consider spider-man's character to be. not quite character assassination but still not great.

but i definitely don't hate it, I'm just completely indifferent to it.

AronDracula posted: »

I thought you hated Far From Home. (Spoiler)

• From what I've heard there are two leaked pictures that each confirm one major casting rumor.
    (Someone posted them as a troll thinking it was a photoshop. Buuuut the swift presence of Disney Assassins basically confirms it is not.)

I saw one of them. (very vague spoiler below)

I am annoyed that I saw it but I am hyped.
    ["How to factory reset human memory?"]

Beware, a wave of shit just leaked for No Way Home and I got caught in it. This is the leakiest boat I have ever seen what the Hell.

• Yep, I got really excited and I wish I could erase all of it from my mind. Sony dropped the ball hard on the marketing for this movie. This feels like the leakiest MCU movie by far. All of this would have been a nice surprise in theatres.

From what I've heard there are two leaked pictures that each confirm one major casting rumor. (Someone posted them as a troll thinking it

• They are gonna pull a TLOU2 on us, aren't they? I'm getting less excited and I am not ok with that.

https://news.yahoo.com/tom-holland-says-highly-anticipated-005745064.html

• edited November 2021

I'd be very surprised if anyone from the mainline MCU timeline dies for good in this one. It's marketing speak.

If they do, who's to say Doctor Strange can't help with reversing that?

I'm more interested in this comment by Holland near-confirming what everyone wants...

"Everyone puts their trousers on in the same way in the morning," Holland told Total Film. "It was interesting having those guys come in because they have a certain ownership over Spider-Man in their own way, and..." At this point, the actor paused. "I’m talking about Alfred [Molina as Doc Ock] and Jamie [Foxx as Electro] and those guys.

Sure, Tom. It's the villains who have a unique ownership over Spider-Man.
    ;)

They are gonna pull a TLOU2 on us, aren't they? I'm getting less excited and I am not ok with that. https://news.yahoo.com/tom-holland-says-highly-anticipated-005745064.html

• The thing that scares me the most is that he said

"What people will be really surprised about is that it's not fun, this film," Holland said.

This is exactly the same thing Neil Druckmann described The Last of Us Part 2. And it didn't end well for me.

I'd be very surprised if anyone from the mainline MCU timeline dies for good in this one. It's marketing speak. If they do, who's to say

• not every dramatic and dark story is "pulling a TLOU2", it just means the movie will probably have actual stakes and consequences and dramatic tension, like the good spider-man movies have.

They are gonna pull a TLOU2 on us, aren't they? I'm getting less excited and I am not ok with that. https://news.yahoo.com/tom-holland-says-highly-anticipated-005745064.html

• Again what I mentioned above

not every dramatic and dark story is "pulling a TLOU2", it just means the movie will probably have actual stakes and consequences and dramatic tension, like the good spider-man movies have.

• Getting a lot of Boss Baby vibes from No Way Home.

not every dramatic and dark story is "pulling a TLOU2", it just means the movie will probably have actual stakes and consequences and dramatic tension, like the good spider-man movies have.

• There's no way they'll make me cry harder than Marley & Me.

Getting a lot of Boss Baby vibes from No Way Home.

• edited November 2021

Marley & Me held the record for most amount of tears stolen from me for years, but then I watched Coco and that movie fuckin' destroyed me.

There's no way they'll make me cry harder than Marley & Me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.