Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited May 2021

The teaser trailer for The Eternals is finally out! It doesn't show much, considering it's a teaser, but I like what I see so far.

Cinematography-wise it looks really different from the rest of the MCU.

• The wait for Loki is killing me.

• I feel like we might get a Spider-Man No Way Home teaser in June.

Sony might want to cash in on some Marvel hype before the MCU gets back into the swing of things with Black Widow.

• Today I learned Vin Diesel played the Iron Giant and wow now everything's clicking about his role as Groot.

• edited June 2021

Loki tomorrow \( ' 0 ' )/

• I'm ready for things to get weird again!

lupinb0y posted: »

Loki tomorrow \( ' 0 ' )/

• edited June 2021

Just finished watching the first episode of Loki. A lot of it is pretty much just set up for the rest of the series and diving into Loki as a person and I really enjoyed it! Tom Hiddleston, and to my surprise, Owen Wilson, are very good in this. They have good chemistry with each other. So much of it, especially the set design, gives me a ton of Control vibes and I love it. I will say that it's a bit more obvious in this, especially in the beginning and the end, that they're using the ILM StageCraft in comparison with Mando and the other MCU shows which looked more seamless.

Very much looking forward to the rest of the season!

• I will say that it's a bit more obvious in this, especially in the beginning and the end, that they're using the ILM StageCraft in comparison with Mando and the other MCU shows which looked more seamless.

So they're still not using the Volume Set for the MCU shows?
    Judging by the trailers, Loki looks like it could be the perfect choice to start implementing Volume, since there's plenty of colorful locales and cool-lit areas we'll be visiting.

Just finished watching the first episode of Loki. A lot of it is pretty much just set up for the rest of the series and diving into Loki as

• Without doubt the best premiere so far out of the disney+ shows. Really enjoyed pretty much every single thing, especially the stuff with Loki at the end, without spoiling.

• edited June 2021

The StageCraft is the name of ILM's version of the Volume tech I think, either way it's the same thing just another name.

Actually now that I looked it up, it doesn't seem that they're using the Volume because the current line of MCU shows were in development before The Mandalorian, but they do plan to use it in the future. So for Loki it was just some of the CG looking a tiny bit off lol.

AChicken posted: »

I will say that it's a bit more obvious in this, especially in the beginning and the end, that they're using the ILM StageCraft in compariso

• I just looked it up too, I couldn't really find confirmation that any future MCU shows are using it yet, but it is confirmed that Thor 4: Love and Thunder is gonna use their Volume sets. Two other Volume sets are being built to be used by Disney or rented by other studios.

The StageCraft is the name of ILM's version of the Volume tech I think, either way it's the same thing just another name. Actually now th

• I finally watched the first episode of Loki.

It's pretty good, I like how it really broke down Loki as an individual and showed how he thinks.

Originally, I was planning on watching the Thor films and the first Avengers film in preparation to make sure I was ready to watch Loki but with finals and school coming to a close I never really got around to it. So I was a little worried that maybe I would be confused the entire episode, it's not like I haven't watched them. But the last time I watched those films, I was a little younger so I don't remember everything about them. But, I decided to give it a try and I wasn't really confused at all.

Also, idk if it's just me but there's not been a single 2021 MCU premiere that I have disliked at all. Seriously, WV and TFaTWS were both amazing and I think this one will be good too.

• Watched the first ep and I liked it a lot. Definitely already a lot more invested than I was in tfws. I feel a big issue for tfws was that it felt like a mediocre Marvel film stretched thin to fit a TV series length with not a lot of focus or honestly even a hook to want to see the next episode. Loki already brought in a really cool concept and ends with a good hook to see what happens next.

Characters were all fun, it is cool seeing another side of Loki as well. Also the music is also really good, really liking it.

All I really have to say is, can Loki please be the show that brings in the Multiverse already. What is it 3 times now they hinted at a multiverse/alternate reality? 4 if it turns out Loki doesn't do it before Dr Strange 2 does.

• edited June 2021

Originally, I was planning on watching the Thor films and the first Avengers film in preparation to make sure I was ready to watch Loki but with finals and school coming to a close I never really got around to it.

Check out the show "Marvel: Legends" on Disney plus.
    It serves as a short recap/clip show of various characters that are getting Disney Plus series. They're pretty well-made, I'd say, in a hype-trailer kind of format.

2 episodes, one about Loki and the other about The Tesseract released last week. Should be a nice primer about what led those things to the Loki show.

I finally watched the first episode of Loki. It's pretty good, I like how it really broke down Loki as an individual and showed how he th

• They finally let Loki walk around at the Disney parks again!

But, uh, he's under arrest... :lol:

• edited June 2021

Ohh, hell yeah!

Loki looks like it's about to bring back the fun, weird, and wacky from WandaVision!

God, the concept already is very interesting. I love the idea of breaking down the ego of the God of Mischief, to use him for the TVA's needs. Man, it's fun to see this cocky, vain Loki again, and doubly fun to see him face off against someone who he really can not get the upper hand on.
    Owen Wilson... oh man this is good... brings a charismatic presence to his role as... Agent Mobius, Supervisor? Not totally sure if his position has a name yet.
    I really enjoyed how this episode had a lot of dialogue and cryptic events as Loki was wheeled around the TVA facility. The mysterious aspect is captivating.

Ah, the set design is very nice. I love the 70s art-deco/slightly brutalist architecture. The Bureaucratic aesthetics, the cheesy animated character Miss Minutes and her little infographics, the vintage-futuristic tech. :yum:
    I love the music. The strange digital themes, very sci-fi like.

Not entirely sure what Loki's endgame is for this show. You do kind of want to root for him here (especially since the alternative is being vaporized) but also... he's still his villainous self.
    I'm very curious about that DB Cooper scene. So, he's already been to Earth? I think I vaguely remember him mentioning that in an earlier Thor movie, but it's been a long time since then.

Y'know, I thought I was going to leave the episode writing up how "I'm so smart" for thinking the Variant that Wilson is following at the start of the episode was Loki himself. Turns out I don't need to, since they literally confirm it.

Possible spoilers: I know it's been rumored around the internet (and Marvel recently confirmed that canonically, MCU Loki is gender-fluid, which plays into this -- but that could just be something said for Pride Month) I believe the rogue variant Loki is going to be female. The Loki stunt Double is credited to Matt LaBorde, while the Variant stunt Double (the cloaked person at the end) is credited to Sarah Irwin. This 2nd Loki is female.

Also, funny detail: The cast credits list supporting roles such as Minuteman #1-#5, but it also lists #18 and Analyst #3. This is the first episode, why do they suddenly have Minuteman #18 in it, and where did Analysts #1 and 2 go? (edit: Oh, it's probably the characters who have speaking lines. Paychecks are decided by amount of lines.)
    They credit Lauren Revard in the main cast as Miss Minutes On-Set Reader and I think that's nice, since she just gets dubbed over.

• All I really have to say is, can Loki please be the show that brings in the Multiverse already. What is it 3 times now they hinted at a multiverse/alternate reality? 4 if it turns out Loki doesn't do it before Dr Strange 2 does.

Just a heads up: The head writer for Loki -- Michael Waldron -- is also the head writer for Doctor Strange 2. If all his "sacred timeline" and "multiverse war" teases don't lead up to anything in this series, it'll probably pay off in DS2.

Poogers555 posted: »

Watched the first ep and I liked it a lot. Definitely already a lot more invested than I was in tfws. I feel a big issue for tfws was that i

• I think in the comics (and technically actual mythology) he's always been genderfluid, though only within the past few years has he officially been confirmed to be so. I'm surprised they actually decided to bring it into the MCU, so hopefully they'll actually do something with that instead of just being lip service lol.

Though I also wasn't expecting Falcon and Winter Soldier to dig into racial issues so hopefully I'll be surprised again.

Ohh, hell yeah! Loki looks like it's about to bring back the fun, weird, and wacky from WandaVision! God, the concept already is very

• edited June 2021

Really enjoyed episode 2 of Loki! A bit slower in comparison with the first episode but tons of great back and forth between Loki and Mobius, with a neat cliffhanger to boot.

• Episode 2 of Loki was very fun! Slower paced, but it had its exciting moments. Sets up an even more intriguing Episode 3.

Loved the whole decrypting of how the Variant is hiding, the slower pace in finding out more of the TVA, I find Mobius' specific attachment to 1990s jet skis adorable (there's got to be a payoff for that later!) and the final little twist dropped a lot of good questions. I was wondering how that "multiple timeline fractures" scene from the trailers would play into this. I wonder what they did, or how? (those devices are supposed to fix wherever they're dropped, not destroy.
    Glad to see my prediction last week is right that the Variant is indeed a female version of Loki.

Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing with timelines and variants.
    The fact that the evil variant keeps going back to that 2050 store for some Kablooey (and dropping off the reset devices) has to be some ultimate paradox event.
    Next week we might see more conversations between the variants, and a bit of info on what this master plan is... Not totally sure if I want Loki to overthrow the TVA, but their authoritarian pruning of the timeline is kinda cruel.

Interesting they used Roxxcart. I know Roxxon is a famous company in the Marvel-verse, but I don't think they've appeared (or if Disney has the rights to use it) in the MCU yet. Strange that this random side-branch of the company is one of the first "references" we see.

And the music still brings a nice sci-fi flair. I think many of the TVA themes use a Theremin, but I'm not too sure.

• Interesting they used Roxxcart. I know Roxxon is a famous company in the Marvel-verse, but I don't think they've appeared (or if Disney has the rights to use it) in the MCU yet.

Roxxon has appeared very sporadically throughout the MCU (it's in the background all the Iron Man movies) along with Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, the Netflix shows and some of the other Marvel tv shows, but it hasn't been a major element in any of these I don't think.

Episode 2 of Loki was very fun! Slower paced, but it had its exciting moments. Sets up an even more intriguing Episode 3. (Spoiler)

• a very thought-provoking transcription of the destroyed timelines from the end of the latest episode:
    Thanks to reddit fans, no doubt. Maybe we'll be visiting some of these in the future.

• 08.03.1522 Phong Nha, Vietnam

• 03.31.1492 Lisbon, Portugal

• 04.23.2301 Vormir

• 10.25.1551 Thorton, USA

• 11.22.1999 Cookeville, USA

• 02.16.2004 Asgard

• 10.03.1390 Rome, Italy

• 08.13.1984 Sakaar, Tayo

• 02.02.1808 Barichara, (Col)

• 07.14.1708 Porvoo, Finland

• 12.27.1382 Ego

• 10.13.1982 Titan

• 09.21.1947 New York, USA

• 03.01.1984 Tokyo, Japan

• 01.03.0051 Hala

• 08.02.1999 Kingsport, USA

• 09.24.1001 Kandar

• 11.23.2005 Beijing, China

• 07.18.1903 Madrid, Spain

• 04.12.1887 ????

• Musical spoilers:

Here's a fun behind-the-scenes clip of various recordings for the Loki soundtrack. No TV footage is shown, just the orchestra.

• edited June 2021

Another fun episode of Loki. A lot more different than I thought it would be and it seems to be taking an interesting direction with the narrative I didn't expect. Really enjoyed the back and forth between Loki and Sylvie. I feel like Tom Hiddleston can bounce off of anyone and make any conversation fun to listen to and watch. They also do a pretty neat 3 minute long "one take" scene. Only problem I had with the episode is that I wish the fight choreography was a bit better, and also the episode just kind of ends abruptly.

Other than that, looking forward to next week as always!

Spoilery Notes

• Looks like the TVA will be the actual antagonists of the season which is interesting. I was wondering why they seemed to have make Sylvie more goofy after how threatening she seemed in the previous episodes.
    • They did a little wink at Loki being bi-sexual. Hopefully they do a bit more than that since there's still 3 more episodes left but at least it's a confirmation!
    • Anyone else thought that Loki and Sylvie were gonna kiss? I really hope that doesn't happen lol.
    • I miss Mobius.
  • edited June 2021

New trailer for Shang Chi
    Those Ten Rings look cool.

The plot sounds pretty interesting. So his father is hunting him down for some reason.

(Also, that's Abomination at the end of the trailer. -- Though I wouldn't have known, I've never seen the Incredible Hulk.)

• (Also, that's Abomination at the end of the trailer. -- Though I wouldn't have known, I've never seen the Incredible Hulk.)

And it looks like he's fighting Wong.

New trailer for Shang Chi Those Ten Rings look cool. The plot sounds pretty interesting. So his father is hunting him down for some

• I dunno about that, but the captions definitely confirm Abomination. Neat. I thought the MCU wanted nothing to do with that film.

(Also, that's Abomination at the end of the trailer. -- Though I wouldn't have known, I've never seen the Incredible Hulk.) And it looks like he's fighting Wong.

• It sure looks like him, even if it's just from the back. Same/similar looking outfit too. Though it could definitely just be another sorcerer.

They haven't done much with the film because Universal still owns the rights to Hulk, so while they probably won't really reference the actual movies story, they definitely do want to play around with the characters, as they did bring back William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross, and now Tim Roth as Abomination for this and the upcoming She-Hulk series.

I dunno about that, but the captions definitely confirm Abomination. Neat. I thought the MCU wanted nothing to do with that film.

• edited June 2021

I just discovered that Disney Plus has The New Mutants (not sure if that came in through Disney or Fox/Star). Regardless, cool. I missed out on it last year because -- pandemic.

--

New Loki episode was fun. I think it's the worst of the bunch so far, but that's not to say it was bad. It was still good and entertaining.

• First off, a great cold open. Gave me some goosebumps.
    • The strange comedic shift in conversation between Loki and the Variant when they first land on Lamentis threw me off a bit. Felt like someone completely different took over the script in that scene. It got better though as the episode went on.
    • Ah, I didn't feel much tension when Sylvie was fighting the TVA guards at the start either. Probably because it's only Episode 3, she was just introduced, and was facing off enemies with instant-death vaporizing sticks. So... obviously she's not going to get hit by them. She's a major player. The fights later on, much more invested.
    • Really enjoyed the setting of this episode. Finally, with the last episode going over future-Earth time periods, this episode goes over a future-Alien-Planet period.
    • Theory as of now: Sylvie isn't being truthful. She's definitely going to double cross Loki somehow later (as all Lokis do). I doubt her story about her mother or adoption is real. Just a hunch.
    • The three minute one shot was impressive, but the first minute being our two MCs standing in the middle of an intersection while the camera pans around them was kinda awkward. Aren't they supposed to be, uh, moving towards the Ark?
    • Cliffhanger was abrupt but sets up an intriguing intro for the next episode. Maybe they get ahold of an Ocarina and reverse time by 3 days to get out of this... :wink:
      I was expecting this episode to have a 'closed loop' scenario, where The Ark never made it off the planet *because Loki-Squad drained its power for the TemPad. Guess not. Colour me surprised.

Anyone else thought that Loki and Sylvie were gonna kiss?

I didn't think they were going to kiss at all in this episode, but it certainly seems like they're setting up some sort of romance between the two. Not sure if I'm on board with that yet, if the Variant implications are true. Imaging hooking up with your alternate self. Dunno how to feel about that...
    (By the way, I'm sure that slow section in the Asgardian song Loki was singing had to have been something romantic. They drew too much attention to it for it to be otherwise.)

TVA employees being Variants is a great little twist. I wonder if there's been multiple Mobius' in their employ, and that's why Renslayer's desk was full of mysterious stain rings.

• edited June 2021

Finished episode 4 of Loki. Best episode of the season in my opinion. Absolutely brilliant! This is by far the the most serious the MCU has ever gotten in terms of drama. There was literally like two jokes max and the rest of the episode was a lot of talking. Only downside is that the fight choreography continues to not be good for whatever reason. Loved this episode, very very excited to see what happens next week!

Also be warned, there is an after credits scene so don't miss it!

Spoilerino

MOBIUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Eyyy Lady Sif is back! I hope she makes a return in the movies one day. Hopefully in Thor: Love and Thunder.
    Seems like they're heading towards the selfcest route which is super weird lmao. I was hoping for more of a sibling relationship than a romantic one.
    So the Timekeepers were fake all along! I'm almost certain that the creator of the TVA will be Kang the Conqueror.
    Looks like getting pruned doesn't kill you but instead transports you to a place variants are sent. Seems like Mobius might get to ride his jetski after all. Looking forward to see what the Loki Team are going to do next week.
    Young Sylvie is played by Cailey Fleming, who plays Judith Grimes on The Walking Dead and also played young Rey in The Force Awakens. That's super neat!

• yo i forgot loki was tonight lets go boys?

• edited June 2021

Loki Episode 4:

If you know you know

• edited June 2021

According to lupin, this is indeed a "let's go boys" moment
    I'm excited (to watch this tomorrow night lol)

by the way, in case you missed it, Disney released a tiny cross-promotion Simpsons short a few months ago called The Force Awakens From Its Nap, for Star Wars Day.
    Now they're doing it again with the MCU, in The Good, The Bart, and the Loki.
    It arrives July 7th.

To be fair, the Star Wars short was pretty basic, though the multitude of references was fun (though that was entirely the point). I don't see this one being any better, especially if it's also 3 minutes long.

Poogers555 posted: »

yo i forgot loki was tonight lets go boys?

• If anyone's interested, a few Lego sets for Spider-Man: No Way Home have leaked and could prove to be potential spoilers.

Link to article

Lego sets for Marvel movies usually don't blatantly spoil specific scenes, often featuring events that could happen or are inspired around some elements of the to-be-released film, but there's always a possibility there's some truth to it.

The new suit looks very cool. Like a mix of the new FFH Black/Red suit and the shiny logo from the Iron Spider suit.
    No confirmation that Maguire or Garfield are going to appear here, but the idea of revisiting Vulture and Mysterio sounds nice. Though it does feel a bit too early...

• The Loki soundtrack for Eps 1-3 is now on Spotify

Lots of great tracks in there. Check out "TVA", "Loki Green Theme", "Miss Minutes", and "TVA Inner Workings".

Now as for Loki Episode 4....

AHHHHHHHHH

• Lupin you were right! Barely any jokes or quips in this episode! Holy crap! That was way more restraint than we've ever seen for the MCU in the past... Who knows how long. Impressive.
    • And WTF THEY KILLED MOBIUS NO NO NOT MY OWEN WILSON
    • OK, maybe he's not "dead" if that mid-credits scene is to be believed, but damn it I don't want this to be his exit.
    • This episode was pure tension, mystery, and intrigue. Loved the tone of it.
    • Man, so many mysteries in here. Are the Time Keepers even real? Where/why/how does the TVA kidnap people? And brainwash them? Is Renslayer a variant too?
    • What was up with that sudden spike at the end of the world? Was it because Loki was gonna die? Sylvie? That was strange and still unexplained.
    • This is definitely not where I expected the show to go. I'm excited to see some Loki variant shenanigans next time.

Also, after seeing this episode, I thought "ah, spoilers be damned, I HAVE to see more!"
    So I checked out the Mid-season trailer they released and... Barely any spoilers! Just a recap essentially.
    Very surprised after how spoilery the WV mid-season trailer seemed earlier this year.

• Getting very excited for the She-Hulk show after watching The Good Place today.

One of the main actors on the Good Place, Jameela Jamil, was recently announced to be playing the main villain for She-Hulk, Titania
    Her comedic timing and depth of character (especially featured in early Season 3) makes me very excited for her to be playing a more devious, possibly more serious role, though I'm not familiar with Titania. Can't wait.

• Latest Loki ep was really good, looking forward to seeing where it goes for the last episode.

I wonder what Season 2 will end up being about. Either way happy there will be a Season 2 because I've really been enjoying this show.

• edited July 2021

Really enjoyed episode 5. It was just really fun overall. Richard E. Grant absolutely stole the show in this! The effects in this, especially towards the end were incredible, straight movie quality. Can’t wait to see how it all ends next week!

Really enjoyed the Loki squad. Old Man Loki in particular was really great! His sacrifice was absolutely glorious. I can’t believe they managed to make him look so badass in that costume lmao.
    It was funny seeing all the Loki’s betraying each other.
    Got some neat Easter eggs like the Thanos Copter, Frog Thor, President Loki, Yellow Jackets helmet, etc.
    Surprised they actually showed President Loki’s hand getting bitten off and got a pretty clear view of the nub lol. Not the first time they’ve done this, the last time was in Thor: The Dark World.

• edited July 2021

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm very excited to...

I saw the Simpsons promo short. It was better than the Star Wars one, but still felt very slim and barebones as a concept.
    Plenty of nice visual gags, especially with the "Springfield Avengers", plus the fact that Tom Hiddleston plays Loki (and does a little voice whenever he's impersonating someone) is nice. Also, there's like 4 post-credit scenes, even one parodying the current Loki Series.

I wonder what Season 2 will end up being about. @Poogers555

Has this been confirmed? I don't think it's been confirmed...

But I wouldn't be surprised if this does get a Season 2. It definitely feels like the most open-ended concept of the Marvel Series so far, as we have no idea how or if this directly ties into a future movie, or leaves Loki to do some Season 2 shenanigans by the end.
    (Also, it's insane that next week is the last episode.)

But, there's the What If series coming sometime in August!
    I just found out that What If already has a confirmed second season, straight from the mouth of Kevin Feige. That's exciting!

“I’m very happy that we’re doing the What If…? series for Disney+ right now, and I’ve seen most of them. We have ten for Season 1, we’re already working on the next ten for Season 2,” he said. “We’ve revealed one that is very exciting, we’ve talked about it for years, which is the one where Peggy Carter gets the Super Soldier serum and becomes Captain Carter. That’s the very first episode, and I’m excited for people to see that.

• Watched Black Widow today and I quite enjoyed it. It has a very different vibe and tone in comparison with the rest of the MCU. It felt like watching a Mission Impossible movie for a good amount of it. The film is much darker and more violent than the recent MCU offerings, with some pretty grisly looking injuries. Nothing particularly gory but people get the tar beaten out of them in this. The intro is fantastic, with a really grounded tone to it as you get to learn about the characters.

Speaking of characters, I really enjoyed everyone’s role in this, specifically Scarlet Johansson, Florence Pugh and David Harbour. They each bring a nice amount of emotion to the roles, and the Red Guardian being a really fun character in general. As for the villains, Taskmaster is alright. It’s cool seeing the character replicate moves we’ve seen from past movies, but it unfortunately doesn’t get enough play or mention, and their abilities aren’t portrayed as being a real enough obstacle to the protagonists as it should have been. To my surprise I actually ended up liking Dreykov more as a villain. He’s just a real slimy piece of shit and the actor does great job of playing him. He’s a semi-realistic kinda of character who uses his notoriety to take advantage of young girls.

The action is mostly well done. Some of the fight scenes do have a few too many cuts but overall they’re well choreographed and you can really hear and feel the impacts with the hits. I even went “Oof” a few times.

As for complaints, I’d say that this movie really should have been made and released between Civil War and Infinity War. It would’ve really helped to develop Natasha as a character and make the impact of her death in Endgame more effective. Like I said, some of the fight scenes have a few too many cuts, and the CG gets a bit iffy towards the end. Taskmaster also isn’t as great of a villain as they could have been.

Overall, while I have my complaints, I still enjoyed the movie. I just wish it had come out sooner rather than later.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.