The Thread of general TWD-related questions

Comments

• I like to say it's a tie between Lee and Kenny. They seem to give out orders more than anyone else, so...

Who was truly the leader in season 1? Lilly assumes the role but eventually loses it, and Lee can be a good leader but that is largely deter

• edited November 2016

Command seemed to flipflop between Luke, Pete, and Carlos depending on the situation.

Pete is introduced as being something of a father figure to Nick more so than Luke and has enough pull in the group to tell Rebecca and Nick to back off when they want to enforce the rule of putting down bite victims.
    Carlos did indeed seem to have enough sway for the group to listen to him more than the other two and he comes to inform Alvin of a house meeting.
    Luke's exact amount of power wasn't always clear: the story seemed to consider him the face of the group due to his friendship with Clementine and rivalry with Kenny, but he only seemed to give orders when no one else could. And yet, many characters seem to imply he was something of a leader even before they left Howe's and Carlos takes him aside to discuss Nick's potential danger to the group.

So, if I had to guess, Luke was the de facto leader of the group but Carlos and to lesser degree Pete had a decent amount of authority.

Who was truly the leader in season 2? People like to say Luke but he fails pretty constantly at protecting his people. I want to say Carlos since everyone seemed to not do anything until they got his approval.

• In the first few episodes, Lilly was definitely the leader, as she was the one in charge of keeping things organized and both Larry and sometimes Kenny would defer to her on major decisions.
    I guess you could call Kenny the temporary leader after Lilly snaps up until after he loses his family, since he was driving the RV and the train.
    Of course, Lee had enough pull by the time they arrive at Savannah to call him the true leader at that point; it's just that Kenny and Clementine had more of an actual goal than he did so he just went along with it while giving advice and taking care of certain things.

Who was truly the leader in season 1? Lilly assumes the role but eventually loses it, and Lee can be a good leader but that is largely deter

• Do you think Larry would have acted differently towards Lee had he lived past the meat locker incident and had been saved by him?

• If you stayed with Roman as Shel and Nate as Russel in 400 Days, were Shel and Russel not at the campsite in Tavia's part?

• They are, but they don't go with Tavia unless you choose a certain dialogue option. I'm just going to use this reply as a guide to how to get everyone to come with Tavia.

• Vince: Shoot off Danny's foot.
    • Wyatt: Stay in the car and Wyatt goes with Tavia automatically. Leave the car and Wyatt only comes if Tavia says "There may be friends and family there."
    • Russell: Tavia has to say "There may be friends and family there." What you did in his story doesn't matter.
    • Bonnie: Comes no matter what.
    • Shel and Becca: Leave and they come automatically. Shoot Stephanie and they only go if Tavia says "There may be people your age."

So in order to get a "perfect" run:

• Shoot Danny's foot off as Vince.
    • Do whatever as Wyatt.
    • Do whatever as Russell.
    • Do whatever as Bonnie.
    • Leave Roman's group as Shel.
    • Say "There may be friends and family there." as Tavia.

If you want no one (except Bonnie) to come:

• Shoot Justin's foot off as Vince.
    • Leave the car as Wyatt.
    • Do whatever as Russell.
    • Do whatever as Bonnie.
    • Shoot Stephanie as Shel.
    • Say something other than "There may be friends and family there." and "There may be people your age." as Tavia (nothing or 3rd option).
    Bon-Bon posted: »

If you stayed with Roman as Shel and Nate as Russel in 400 Days, were Shel and Russel not at the campsite in Tavia's part?

• Probably. I haven't seen some of it myself, but there's apparently a few moments that imply that Larry is warming up to Lee.

Clemenem posted: »

Do you think Larry would have acted differently towards Lee had he lived past the meat locker incident and had been saved by him?

• I feel like Luke's main strength was that he was charismatic and likable. His group always listened to him and trusted him, but in the end he isn't there during the hostage situation, he gets caught at Carver's, he leaves Sarah (in my game), he screws Jane and lets walkers overrun them, etc.... He did come through and sacrifice himself for Clem in my game, but still. He just didn't have a very good track record for a leader, I suppose.

I feel like he was more like Lee in that he was looking after people, whereas Kenny (or Carlos in Luke's case) focusing on the big picture and moving forward. Is that a fair assumption to make?

DabigRG posted: »

Command seemed to flipflop between Luke, Pete, and Carlos depending on the situation. Pete is introduced as being something of a father f

• And my Lee deferred to Kenny in pretty much every situation except the Lilly one, which blew up in my face. I guess that makes Kenny the leader in season 1?

I like to say it's a tie between Lee and Kenny. They seem to give out orders more than anyone else, so...

• Lilly was definitely the leader at first. She was in charge of food and schedules and even makes the call to send Mark and Lee to the St. John's dairy. She lost it after the events of episode 2, however. She was really distressed and her mind wasn't in a state to be leading anybody, especially if Lee sided with Kenny in episode 2.

Lee definitely had a lot of pull within the group, I always felt like he was sort of the back up leader who was taking care of people's emotions and such whereas Kenny was focused on survival and the big picture.

I'm really trying to pin down the leadership styles of the groups in both s1 and s2, but I can't quite figure it out. You're good with tropes, right? Do any come to mind?

In the first few episodes, Lilly was definitely the leader, as she was the one in charge of keeping things organized and both Larry and some

• You're good with tropes, right? Do any come to mind?

Who, me? Well:

LEE
    The Leader: Seems to be drifting towards this, depending on the player's responses. Carley in particular seems supportive of this option, and mentions that the group often looks to him in a crisis. By the end of Episode 3, Lee's position of the leader seems to be confirmed, and we get to see him start giving the orders by Episodes 4 and 5 (which means his choices have more consequence then ever, naturally).

>

KENNY
    The Captain: In normal life he captains a commercial fishing boat. It shows - he naturally assumes a leadership role almost as soon as he arrives.

The Leader:
    While Lilly ostensibly is this, Kenny immediately takes charge when the walkers get into the drug store. This becomes a much bigger issue in Episode 2, as they argue with each other over who should be leading the group, and it's up to Lee to support Kenny or Lilly, or stay neutral.
    After Lilly is either left behind or steals the RV in Episode 3, Kenny tries to rise to this position, but after his Despair Event Horizon, Lee steps up more and more.
    There is a key moment during Episode 4 when the group is in the Crawford classroom. Someone asks what to do, and Kenny seems about to respond... and then uncharacteristically falls silent, his despair overtaking him. He seems to have devolved into the group Lancer, ready to offer ideas, but no longer able to lead.
    In Episode 5, Kenny admits that Lee is the smartest of the group, and is ready to take orders from him.

>

LILY
    Foil: To Kenny throughout the first season. Both are fierce, unrelenting leader types, but while Lilly is stern, orderly, and calculating, Kenny proves to be recklessly hot-tempered and prefers making things up on the fly. This reaches its logical conclusion in the second season, long after Lilly's exit. Both characters' stories end with them killing/attempting to kill someone in a fit of rage and paranoia, crossing an in-universe Moral Event Horizon.

The Leader: A Headstrong variation and not a very good one. When Kenny showed up, he took over the group almost immediately, with no one but Lilly and her father protesting. Becomes a big issue in Episode 2 as she and Kenny argue over leadership of the group.

~From the Season 1 Characters page. Lilly is the official leader, while Kenny tries to take her place a few times before gradually losing interest after losing his family and Lee has a bit of an arc involving becoming one by the halfway point of Episode 3.

Lilly was definitely the leader at first. She was in charge of food and schedules and even makes the call to send Mark and Lee to the St. J

• Well, it's all a matter of perspective. But yeah, it's Kenny. :)

And my Lee deferred to Kenny in pretty much every situation except the Lilly one, which blew up in my face. I guess that makes Kenny the leader in season 1?

• I feel like he was more like Lee in that he was looking after people, whereas Kenny (or Carlos in Luke's case) focusing on the big picture and moving forward. Is that a fair assumption to make?

Yes. In fact, from a writing standpoint, I see Luke as being somewhere between Lee and Carley in terms of his intended purpose.

I feel like Luke's main strength was that he was charismatic and likable. His group always listened to him and trusted him, but in the end

• After the initial reactions in S2E1, how many of you actually forgave Rebecca for her attitude towards Clementine? Was it a gradual thing over the course of the season or was there a specific point where you forgave her for her actions?

I ask this because I'm replaying S2 and found you only really get one in-game opportunity to accept Rebecca's 'apology' near the start of E2, and honestly in my first playthrough I didn't really pay much mind to the relationship between Clementine and Rebecca after the 180 in their attitude towards each other up until she died.

Myself, I don't know. I don't really like talking about anything between Clementine and Rebecca if only because I believe myself to be biased in wishing for a continued conflict between the two since their meeting in E1. But I did find in my first and most recent playthrough that I could not accept her apology immediately when she brings it up. Maybe because it was to soon after the shed incident/confrontation between the two? Iunno.

• And what were Lee and Carley's intended purpose? Lee as a nice guy who looks after his group, and Carley as a mostly neutral force who thinks a lot about the group?

I feel like he was more like Lee in that he was looking after people, whereas Kenny (or Carlos in Luke's case) focusing on the big picture a

• See, you're pretty good with tropes haha.

You brought up a lot of good points. Lilly is definitely the presumed leader from the get go but this proves false by episode 3. Kenny seems more like a lancer than a leader, he is a lot rougher and hotheaded and in many ways the opposite of Lee's leadership style. Hadn't thought of him as a lancer but he fits the trope nearly perfectly.

My Lee took Kenny's side/advice the overwhelming majority of the time, is there a trope for two bros who share leadership roles in the group? Idk

You're good with tropes, right? Do any come to mind? Who, me? Well: LEE The Leader: Seems to be drifting towards this, dep

• Honestly I ended up forgiving and caring about Rebecca not because of any one thing she did or said, but simply because she was the widowed pregnant woman. She was terrified and pitiful and it ended up playing to my empathy.

Davissons posted: »

After the initial reactions in S2E1, how many of you actually forgave Rebecca for her attitude towards Clementine? Was it a gradual thing ov

• What was Randall like before the apocalypse and/or at the very beginning? Did Randall have kids that he had to put down?

• As soon as she was being nice to Clementine and talking about baby names with her I forgave her.

I always knew she was a good person deep down. Even when playing episode one for the first time, I just thought that it makes sense to not trust strangers anymore. But I still don't like how she treated Clementine.

After the initial reactions in S2E1, how many of you actually forgave Rebecca for her attitude towards Clementine? Was it a gradual thing ov

• Okay, I just had a theory. Not sure of this has been discussed before or not.

Do you think Luke and Bonnie were more then just friends at one point? Because of the "Bonnie... I'm sorry." part in episode 5 , it just sort of made me think they were once in a relationship, maybe before he left Carver's?

But Luke sort of seemed surprised when she said she liked him at the campfire, so maybe not.

I don't know, what're your thoughts?

• What he/she said. ^

Acheive250 posted: »

As soon as she was being nice to Clementine and talking about baby names with her I forgave her. I always knew she was a good person deep

• edited November 2016

I always thought that too.

Okay, I just had a theory. Not sure of this has been discussed before or not. Do you think Luke and Bonnie were more then just friends at

• I'd say he was still... Off.

But the apocalypse definitely made him worse.

What was Randall like before the apocalypse and/or at the very beginning? Did Randall have kids that he had to put down?

• edited November 2016

But if that was the case, Luke wouldn't of really been surprised then, right? He would've looked either sad or guilty.

(He looked surprised, right?)

I always thought that too.

• He wasn't surprised at all; he was smiling.

But if that was the case, Luke wouldn't of really been surprised then, right? He would've looked either sad or guilty. (He looked surprised, right?)

• That is something I was curious about as well. I mentioned it in a topic I posted. I don't think they ever had a relationship though. There could have been a quickie like he had with Jane, then he gave her the brush off, but more than likely it was just unrequited love on Bonnie's part. The developers missed a chance to give Bonnie and Luke some depth by not exploring that. They never directly interacted during the series that we were witness to. If she had a more discernible bond with him than some off the wall comment made late in episode 5, her being a tard on the ice and turning on Clementine might be understandable.

Okay, I just had a theory. Not sure of this has been discussed before or not. Do you think Luke and Bonnie were more then just friends at

• Oh...

He wasn't surprised at all; he was smiling.

• Do you think he got worse because he was turned loose like an animal once the apocalypse hit, or because he lost loved ones? Just trying to figure out if he's a tragic character or just a monster.

I'd say he was still... Off. But the apocalypse definitely made him worse.

• I'd say he was a bad person before the apocalypse. Maybe he had a bad childhood?

But the apocalypse bad him worse. Maybe because there was no longer any laws, so he could do whatever he wanted.

Or maybe he was just a normal guy, with a normal life. And the apocalypse destroyed him. I don't know, these are all just guesses.

(Fun fact: when I was writing the word normal above, I accidentally spelled Norma at first. What a coincidence.)

Do you think he got worse because he was turned loose like an animal once the apocalypse hit, or because he lost loved ones? Just trying to figure out if he's a tragic character or just a monster.

• Yeah, doesn't he have a determinant line that says "You sound just like my daddy... he was a mean sonuvabitch"

I'm leaning towards him just having a lot of repressed hate and violence that is unleashed during the apocalypse. And maybe he had a kid die because he seems obsessed with killing and hurting children.

I'd say he was a bad person before the apocalypse. Maybe he had a bad childhood? But the apocalypse bad him worse. Maybe because there wa

• I thought that was Kenny that said his father was a mean son of a bitch, when he's fixing the car in season 2?

Or do they both say that? (I haven't actually played episode 3 yet of Michonne.)

And I'm not sure if he seems like the type of guy to be interested in having a family. If you had a child die, then wouldn't you want to protect other kids rather then kill them? I don't know, he could just be pretty messed up.

I guess it is possible.

Yeah, doesn't he have a determinant line that says "You sound just like my daddy... he was a mean sonuvabitch" I'm leaning towards him ju

• And looking directly at her. He didn't cringe, he didn't jaw-drop, he didn't even giggle.

Oh...

• Not sure when exactly, but I know I did. Thoughshe was being way too vindictive about it at first, she had an actual reason to be suspicious of Clementine. Plus, the fact that she was able to own up to her mistake and apologized for doing so is something I respect.

• I thought that was Kenny that said his father was a mean son of a bitch, when he's fixing the car in season 2?

>

Or do they both say that? (I haven't actually played episode 3 yet of Michonne.)

Both.

I thought that was Kenny that said his father was a mean son of a bitch, when he's fixing the car in season 2? Or do they both say that?

• Honestly, from a writing standpoint, it was just expanding her previous comments about Luke to the logical conclusion and also giving her another reason to want to leave alongside Mike. You're right that they should've used that to expand on their backstories with Carver and each other a little more.

Bon-Bon posted: »

That is something I was curious about as well. I mentioned it in a topic I posted. I don't think they ever had a relationship though. There

• I meant more that he was meant to be someone who Clementine could fall back on when she's in trouble(Lee) and someone to vouch for and encourage her(Carley).

And what were Lee and Carley's intended purpose? Lee as a nice guy who looks after his group, and Carley as a mostly neutral force who thinks a lot about the group?

• See, you're pretty good with tropes haha.

It's called using the Find function after doing a Google/TVTropes search to find what you want. :p

My Lee took Kenny's side/advice the overwhelming majority of the time, is there a trope for two bros who share leadership roles in the group? Idk

Hmm...maybe Bash Brothers? I can't seem to find anything referring to having two or more leaders.

See, you're pretty good with tropes haha. You brought up a lot of good points. Lilly is definitely the presumed leader from the get go b

• Yeah, I reckon he would've. Larry's a stubborn dick, but I think after seeing Lee go out of his to save him, despite how he treated him, would've definitely changed his opinion on Lee. I doubt he'd ever actually like Lee or treat him particularly nicely, but I'd say he'd have respected him by then.

Clemenem posted: »

Do you think Larry would have acted differently towards Lee had he lived past the meat locker incident and had been saved by him?

• They both say something along those lines. Wording may differ a bit.

But yeah that's a good point.... if his kid died he'd probably have a soft spot for kids, like Michonne. What he has going on is.... the opposite of that.

I thought that was Kenny that said his father was a mean son of a bitch, when he's fixing the car in season 2? Or do they both say that?

• What would happen if Kenny and Randall met?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.