Missed Opportunities in TWDG

Comments

• Here's a fun little exercise: Top 5/10/whatver most wasted characters, whether in one season/installment or in general.

• edited July 2017

What do you think could've been done with him?

NorthStars posted: »

What about that bearded hippie looking guy that attacked Javier and Gabe in the hallway without making a sound or facial expression only to be later seen getting eaten by walkers he seemed so interesting.

• edited June 2017

WASTED CHARACTERS
    Chuck
    Uncle Pete
    Nick
    Sarah
    Luke (mainly on No Going Back)
    Mike
    Arvo
    Mariana
    Eleanor
    Ava

WASTED LOCATIONS
    Macon (wanted to see more from the city before leaving)
    Cabin in the woods (the Season 2 one)
    Wellington (obvious)
    The New Frontier base (we never got to walk around it and shit)

WASTED PLOTS
    Christa's whereabouts
    Sarah learning how to survive
    Nick trying to be less of a screw up
    George (wanted to know more about him and his relationships with Alvin and Carver)
    Luke vs Kenny
    Possible romance with Eleanor
    What the hell happened to Joan/Clint? (The one left alive)

• Everything we moan about on this forum basically.

• :lol:

ShaneWalsh posted: »

Everything we moan about on this forum basically.

• stranger things? nexflix?
    DabigRG posted: »

No, it's Hypersonic Teenage Warhead. Still, who?

• Here's a fun little exercise: Top 5/10/whatver most wasted characters, whether in one season/installment or in general.

So, here's my personal list off the top of my head:

1. Gabriel "Gabe" Garcia
    2. Kate []-Garcia
    3. Diplomacy Leader Joan
    4. Lieutenant Max
    5. Idk, maybe Ration Leader Clinton "Clint" Barnes?

Honorable mentions:

• Shades-Chick, who had to be on here at some point because come on
    • David's first wife, who Gabe is initially baited as being the reason he resented Kate and who even Mariana admits to missing, but we learn practically nothing about her beyond Mari's hub conversation
    • Tripp, who the story clearly wants you to think is important but does pretty much nothing useful to back that up
    • Eleanor, who's actually very important to the story but received very little focus even after she goes to Joan, whom was originally designed as the long lost daughter of
    • Mariana "Mari" Garcia, who was changed to being Gabe's sister instead of his cousin fairly late into development but has nothing [good?] done with this with or without her death early on
  • Don't watch that, booboo. Or have Netflix for that matter.

stranger things? nexflix?

• enter image description here

Weird girl with time-space powers that has nosebleeds and shit, probably another version of elizabeth/lyra/max/eleanor/angel/lola(?) from an alternative universe.

Don't watch that, booboo. Or have Netflix for that matter.

• I only recognize two of those names, but okay.

I was thinking more of this.
    enter image description here

Weird girl with time-space powers that has nosebleeds and shit, probably another version of elizabeth/lyra/max/eleanor/angel/lola(?) from an alternative universe.

1. Mariana - I think she is one of the most wasted potential in season 3, she could probably even had the same level of character focus as Kate since shes smart and she can manage just fine on her own. She may even have an interesting conflict with Gabe on David and staying in Richmond.
    2. Gabe - Pretty sure his character will get fleshed out soon if Telltale brings back the spotlight on the Garcias or just telltale will continue to pursue the romance stuff.
    3. Joan - Could have been a more interesting character but telltale just cut her short
    4. Clint - Same with Joan, he could have sided with Javi and David with him realizing that Joan is the danger.
    5. Ava - Could have been a better Chuck but nooooo Telltale just literally dropped her.
  • edited June 2017

she could probably even had the same level of character focus as Kate

Not sure that's really saying much, dude. :lol: Though I somewhat agree with the other stuff.

Gabe - Pretty sure his character will get fleshed out soon if Telltale brings back the spotlight on the Garcias or just telltale will continue to pursue the romance stuff.

You'd be right...except that he's 25% determinate. :mad:

Ava - Could have been a better Chuck but nooooo Telltale just literally dropped her.

That's an odd comparison to make, but okay.

• edited June 2017

Not sure that's really saying much, dude. :lol: Though I somewhat agree with the other stuff.

its probably because my perspective on Kate is somewhat a much lower a character than javi,clem,david,etc.

she could probably even had the same level of character focus as Kate Not sure that's really saying much, dude. Though I somewhat a

• edited June 2017

That's lower in prominence or...? Because if it's the former, I agree and it's why she #2 on my own list.

Not sure that's really saying much, dude. Though I somewhat agree with the other stuff. its probably because my perspective on Kate is somewhat a much lower a character than javi,clem,david,etc.

• edited June 2017

I couldn't care less if he overshadowed Kate, what does she have to bring to the table besides sex appeal?
    Oh, tee hee, my schoolgirl crush on Javi is so much more important than everyone else's issues. I'm a surrogate mother, but I barely care that my surrogate daughter died.

I don't care much about David; he was just okay after Above the Law, but the obvious fact that he's yet another Kenny-clone, combined with t

• Damn.

I only recognize two of those names, but okay. I was thinking more of this.

• Wasted Character? Clementine...you could have put any teenager looking for a family member in the game and it would have the same effect on the story...which is to say none.

Kate...so much wasted potential here. Took charge to save Richmond..supposedly kept the Garcia clan alive...why was that side of Kate hardly ever shown? How is it we are never seen how David and Kate met?

Mariana....the wrong kid died.

Eleanor.

Prescott...they put so much detail and character in it...I wanted to fucking explore the place darn it.

• edited July 2017

I couldn't care less if he overshadowed Kate, what does she have to bring to the table besides sex appeal?

A kind female character that isn't portrayed as being [too] weak or arm candy?(unlike Katjaa, Bonnie, Sarita,)
    A somewhat intelligent and/or competent female that isn't a cold-hearted bitch?(unlike Lily, Rebecca, Jane)
    A more equally portrayed foil to the Season's other big character?(unlike Lily,Luke,Jane)
    A more undeniably developed and/or complex character in general, with a balanced amount of strengths and weaknesses?(can't think of any examples, for some reason)

Kate had the potential to be all of those things but her side of things was very underrepresented after David came back and she was seemingly being kept from actually showing what she's made of half of the time. Honestly, it seems that the so-called love triangle just overshadowed anything she did do even when it wasn't the focus of her scenes as far back as Above the Law, where there was this sudden shift of hate thrown her way now that David was actually around and not seeming abusive--Unfortunate Implications Ahoy!

Plus, while YMMV, that's not even particularly attractive. She's pretty average, imo.

I'm a surrogate mother, but I barely care that my surrogate daughter died.

Well, we know why that is from a production standpoint, so chalk it up to sloppy rewrites. Also, I don't think surrogate means what you think it does.

But she was clearly affected by that she rushed out to retrieve her body, claimed that they couldn't leave her despite being shot, lamented that she wasn't able to save her in Eleanor's new car, cited it as one of the reasons she didn't feel safe in Richmond, and said that her sudden death at least spared from seeing the pain and devastation caused by the herd's invasion.

Louche posted: »

I couldn't care less if he overshadowed Kate, what does she have to bring to the table besides sex appeal? Oh, tee hee, my schoolgirl crus

• Yeah.

Damn.

• More of a support character, I think that was I meant while saying that. Now that I think of it I really wish she had more independent actions during the season like for example Javi is kind of rejecting Kate MOST of the time (not necessarily in romantic terms) then she should atleast try to get out of Richmond on her own buuuuutttt I think the writing of the relationships is holding that in line due to the romantic option and the fallout from that event which is kinda tricky to follow up on.

That's lower in prominence or...? Because if it's the former, I agree and it's why she #2 on my own list.

• edited July 2017

Or they could, you know, implement more dialogue and scenes to reflect that she's getting frustrated/dejected at the constant rejection. I think they technically that with David and Gabe.

More of a support character, I think that was I meant while saying that. Now that I think of it I really wish she had more independent actio

• Characters:

1. Joan: Already mentioned above, turns into a generic super villain that would make even Carver blush.
    2. Max: Had potential to turn things for the better and maybe even have some funny conversations with Javi. After EP3, he is never heard or mentioned from again.
    3. Mariana: Seemed smart and had a lot of potential but was cut short by Badger.
    4. Conrad: Cool that he can survive the entire game, though he had a ton of missed potential like apologizing to Gabe/Clem and actually being in EP5. Also after the tunnel scene he's an angel to everyone that isn't NF.
    5. Eleanor: Forgotten about quickly then betrays you out of nowhere.

Plots:

1. Max, Lonnie, and Joan/Clint going MIA.
    2. Eleanor not bringing up that Javi lied about Ellie's death (In EP1 Javi can tell Eleanor that Clem accidentally killed him yet it's never brought up by her).
    3. Kenny vs. Luke (would've been much better than Kenny vs Jane imo).
    4. The slaughterhouse seen in cut content.
    5. AJ in S3 (like what was the point of even having this subplot when it barely served to the overall story?)

Locations:

1. Richmond
    2. Prescott
    3. Wellington
    4. Howe's Hardware (S3 with Jane ending)
    5. Warehouse in S3E3
  • Joan: Already mentioned above, turns into a generic super villain that would make even Carver blush.

That's a scary thought.

BC_Guy posted: »

Characters: * Joan: Already mentioned above, turns into a generic super villain that would make even Carver blush. * Max: Had potentia

• Oh, okay. That makes more sense.

That's what i meant by her being abandoned.

• Okay, so according to the AMA, he was supposed to be a Spanish speaking prisoner under Ava's watch that Javier would have to use his bilingual skills to communicate with for whatever reason.

NorthStars posted: »

What about that bearded hippie looking guy that attacked Javier and Gabe in the hallway without making a sound or facial expression only to be later seen getting eaten by walkers he seemed so interesting.

• Wasted Character? Clementine...you could have put any teenager looking for a family member in the game and it would have the same effect on the story...which is to say none.

Yeah, that does sound about right.

Kate...so much wasted potential here. Took charge to save Richmond..supposedly kept the Garcia clan alive...why was that side of Kate hardly ever shown? How is it we are never seen how David and Kate met?

Agreed. Also, because of David and the alleged love triangle. No idea.

Mariana....the wrong kid died.

...K.

Eleanor.

What's your thoughts on her?

Prescott...they put so much detail and character in it...I wanted to fucking explore the place darn it.

Did they? I mean, I definitely wanted to know more about it and explore it to do so, but still.

Wasted Character? Clementine...you could have put any teenager looking for a family member in the game and it would have the same effect on

• Eleanor...I just do not understand her...she stuck her neck out to help Javi...then it could almost be assumed that she knowingly left Kate in the car to die when she got a chance to join with NF....same folk who destroyed Prescott. Why? What? Huh? BITCH!!....Her Betrayal was like a knife to the gut...was it just because of Kate? Was she just so over the constant danger and being so close to death that she was willing to enter a faustian bargain and lose her soul over 3 squares a day and an apartment? What was it about her that made Clementine not trust her in the first place?

Prescott...they did put a lot of detail into it. The bar was super detailed...wanted to see more of it...the bath house? Come on...you cannot tell me that it would not have been awesome to se people who have been living in a van for a few years get a hot bath? Remember the short story I wrote about it back a few months?

LINK

But this is all the problem of episodes being too short.

Wasted Character? Clementine...you could have put any teenager looking for a family member in the game and it would have the same effect on

• edited July 2017

Eleanor...I just do not understand her...she stuck her neck out to help Javi...

For my account, Eleanor was established as someone who is soft-spoken with a desire to use her medical skills to help people, but is also ultimately a bit naive, with a looser/trouble-making side that means she's willing to bend the rules. For reasons I mention below, she was eager to help Javier not because he's handsome(which I'm sure was just a joke more than any overt attraction), but because of that desire coinciding with her ability to relate to having missing family and so she was more than willing to disobey Tripp in order to help him despite the trouble Clementine caused or the fact that for all she knew, Javier was lying and it was an improvised setup to get some transportation and kidnap her as a bonus.

then it could almost be assumed that she knowingly left Kate in the car to die when she got a chance to join with NF....same folk who destroyed Prescott. Why? What? Huh? BITCH!!....
    ..was it just because of Kate?

:unamused: Can I just say I really disliked the general impressions her character was getting from pretty much everyone around here? Cause I did. Just because she's also female doesn't mean she needs to be a love interest or a traitor. That whole "Two chicks on the same team with a dude must be a love interest and a jealous/treacherous/evil bitch, respectively" thing was something I didn't really like in Season 1 and it really didn't need to be repeated in ANF.
    I'm pretty Eleanor was stated as having left to go get Kate help inside, both unaware that the New Frontier were in control of it.
    And Eleanor's decision to warn Joan that Javier was coming, while weakly set up, had nothing to do with Kate or Javier or anything personal. She was simply happy that the people of Richmond appreciated her skills and that she got to help people, so she was planning on staying there before the business with the raiding conspiracy was revealed.
    However, the immediate reasoning for her decision was the fact that Javier(or whoever came up with the plan) was planning to just roll up on Joan during David's "hearing" and take her out, which would no doubt get many people killed in the crossfire. She tried to advocate finding a better way, perhaps using her newfound pull with the people to try and resolve things peacefully, but her plan was shot down and she eventually decided to contact Joan to warn her that Javier's planning to turn the people against her(which is likely a lie on one of their parts, given that "he's here to assassinate me" would ensure the people would see him as a criminal). Unfortunately for her, she underestimated what Joan was [suddenly] capable of and was caught off guard when she reveal that her men had captured Ava and Tripp while they were scouting, planning to execute one of them alongside David to teach Javier a lesson.

Her Betrayal was like a knife to the gut.

Was it? Because it felt so tacked on and poorly set up that it barely registered beyond "Seriously? You're really doing this sexist shit?"

Was she just so over the constant danger and being so close to death that she was willing to enter a faustian bargain and lose her soul over 3 squares a day and an apartment?

Pretty much, though again it was more about wanting to continue to help the people of Richmond than anything else.

What was it about her that made Clementine not trust her in the first place?

No idea, other than an incentive to make Javier pick Tripp instead. I was always under the impression that Clementine had caused trouble in the past in Prescott that earned her Conrad's scorn("I warned you! DROP! The GUN! ") and presumably had a run in with Eleanor during one of those incidents that caused her to dislike her.

Though it is worth noting that she was indeed originally designed as the long lost daughter of Joan(who wasn't the main antagonist originally), so it might've been a roundabout bit of Kenny-sense style foreshadowing of that through Clementine's bitterness caused by her grudge against the New Frontier.

the bath house? Come on...you cannot tell me that it would not have been awesome to se people who have been living in a van for a few years get a hot bath?

...Giggity...?

Though I'm sure the bath water might turn into fuckin oil and leave one helluva ring.

Remember the short story I wrote about it back a few months?

LINK

Oh yeah, that thing I thought was an erotic story at first.

But this is all the problem of episodes being too short.

Eleanor...I just do not understand her...she stuck her neck out to help Javi...then it could almost be assumed that she knowingly left Kate

• Yep! Again it showed sparing his life meant absolute fucking shit for the later episodes. No impact at all. Choices matter do they Telltale? Quit smoking whatever it is you smoke and wake the fuck up and also stop lying to the fans

Max He literally fell into a fucking black hole so Telltale completely forgot he existed. There is bad handling of a determinate charact

• edited July 2017

Clementine having become a more unlikable/unsympathetic character since(or during) Season 2.
    Ironically, it's not Clementine herself, but rather how the other characters reacted to her that was one of the more interesting plot elements in the first few episodes of ANF. Especially once you compare this to previous Seasons and how the only notable characters who didn't seem to distrust(Javier, Conrad), fear(Eli, Eleanor), or dislike(Conrad) her were set up as a future villain, a pushover, and another character who was set up as potentially becoming villainous.

• edited July 2017

How would you have liked to see some of that implemented and/or expanded on?

WASTED CHARACTERS Chuck Uncle Pete Nick Sarah Luke (mainly on No Going Back) Mike Arvo Mariana Eleanor Ava WASTED LOCATIONS Ma

• edited July 2017

I second that. Any ideas on how It could be expanded?

What the hell happened to Joan/Clint? (The one left alive)

I believe that we will find out in the next installment. The developers can't say "They are not forgotten" In the AMA's and not keep their word, right?.

WASTED CHARACTERS Chuck Uncle Pete Nick Sarah Luke (mainly on No Going Back) Mike Arvo Mariana Eleanor Ava WASTED LOCATIONS Ma

• This is the same AMA where they clarified that they intended to do a lot of things in the finale alone, but resources and lack of time meant they got the axe. I'm more than sure they have every intention of following up on them, Kate, and maybe Max and Lonnie when the chance arrives, but there is always gonna be a chance they simply won't be able to.

I second that. Any ideas on how It could be expanded? What the hell happened to Joan/Clint? (The one left alive) I believe tha

• Yah. :/ I'm just tired of stuff like this disappearing into the fog. I still wanna know what happened to Bonnie, Arvo, and Mike after Kenny was able to get back the truck and took off on them.

This is the same AMA where they clarified that they intended to do a lot of things in the finale alone, but resources and lack of time meant

• edited July 2017

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I just meant as is, the way they are in the game right now, I would take David over Kate.

Also, let's not forget the whole rush towards the body thing is also a remnant of Mari being shot in the neck and still being alive.
    And those mentions were so quick and pathetic, the last one in particular was really poorly worded and made Kate sound really crass. As if Mariana being dead was better than her being scared. Give me a break.

I couldn't care less if he overshadowed Kate, what does she have to bring to the table besides sex appeal? A kind female character t

• edited August 2017

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I just meant as is, the way they are in the game right now, I would take David over Kate.

Oh, okay, I suppose that makes sense. Boy, you Janiacs sure have a habit of coming off as needlessly dismissive at times--no offense.

Also, let's not forget the whole rush towards the body thing is also a remnant of Mari being shot in the neck and still being alive.

Yeah, I'm still trying to nail down how I'm gonna handle that in my rewrites, as I kinda doubt getting an impromptu tonsilectomy will allow anyone to talk much.

And those mentions were so quick and pathetic, the last one in particular was really poorly worded and made Kate sound really crass. As if Mariana being dead was better than her being scared. Give me a break.

Yeah, as clever as she's [apparently] capable of being, Kate doesn't have the best tact or priorities at times.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I just meant as is, the way they are in the game right now, I would take David over Kate. Also, let's not

• edited July 2017

WASTED CHARACTERS:

Eleanor - She was my favourite since the beginning and wanted to see where her character goes. To expand her screentime and give her more development I would make leaving with her at night in Episode 1 canon to the story/non-determinant. I also think that it would be more exciting if we arrived at the junkyard at night. We wouldn't know if The New Frontier are there and it will be kinda hard to retrieve the rest of the Garcias. We'll also have the chance to ask her about her past. Or like you suggested in your Character Combination thread, have Tripp escort Kate to Richmond to get help while Eleanor stays with us.
    In general, we are looking at a genderbend Carley/Doug situation. Both Eleanor and Doug are very useful, but not shown enough. I would have loved it if Episode 5 was about her, but you know.

Mariana - She didn't need to die. I probably would have used Hector(Sorry, uncle Hector!) instead of her to be the victim. I think Mariana would be a good supporting character. As she is 10, she doesn't need to get involved in the group's discussions/plans. Given her apathetic nature and her headphones constantly being on her head(just like me, I'm proud.) she will be minding her own business. But at the same time she will be doing useful stuff. For example, I'll create a "Bring Mariana to the truckyard." decision in Thicker Than Water.

Gabe - I wanted his development to be consistent. He was always helpful, but the haters wouldn't want to give him credit. He was the best in Thicker Than Water, no doubt about it. I am not sure how I would utilize him more though. Probably have him fight someone from Badger's group. And use the axe. From Episode 2. It's fricking important. Telltale, why u forget important weapons?? Like the shovel too??

Javier - This guy had so much potential. And still has--if they decide to continue his story, that is. Like I said in the TWD-related questions thread, I felt like David overshadowed Javier and the other characters. The writers spent too much time fleshing him out instead of focusing on Javi who is supposed to be the star of this game, Gabe, Kate, Eleanor, etc. We had the same problem in Season 2 coughKennycough. But the problem here is worse. Hubs were also needed to make us care about him and his friends. I was hoping that the writers would make him special, memorable and unique. My fingers were crossed. I personally think that the Slaughterhouse would be a memorable experience of his. People would have at least one thing to remember him by.

Kate - Ah, Katie, poor Katie. David overshadowed you, didn't he? Anyway, Kate is also a character who I wanted to see how turns out in the future. She is caring, serious when she needs to be and knows how to have fun. She has fears, temptations and they make her a human. In the beginning of the apocalypse she was afraid to kill. We could see her vulnerable side. If you compare the Kate in the flashback to the Kate in present time you can see that she has become a stronger individual. Javier also mentioned that she has handled way worse situations than swinging across with a helicopter blade. I want to know more about her. She was a character begging to be developed. I just thought that her change of heart in From The Gallows happened a little too fast. I really wish she had a bigger role in Above The Law as well as other characters, but it was all about David. Personally, I would have loved her to be playable alongside Javier.

Max - poor Max. Telltale even forgot he existed. :cry: He is a character who I also wanted to see how turns out since the beginning. He was the most interesting one for me and had the potential to be memorable. I hope they do something with him, revisiting him would be great.
    How would I utilize him... hmm, I suggested a "getting him out of the cell" subquest.Then Max would round up allies and return to help us out. We talked a lot about him, so I have nothing to add.

Ava - Another great character who was thrown away. Death is not the only way to get rid of characters. Look at Lilly, Molly, Glenn, etc. What bugs me the most is that Clementine of all people didn't have a reaction to her death. Like really? Ava is the one who introduced her to TNF, the one who continued helping her, cared about her. So much effort in the flashbacks and for what?? So she can be thrown away like she is a handkerchief? I am seriously pissed about that! Not to mention that David mourns over her for 15 seconds. You guys were together in the army for so many years. That's your reaction. I salute you, David! Just great! At least Ava gets more screentime in Thicker Than Water if you support his plan.

Francine: Another character I wish we saw more of. She seemed so tough... :(

WASTED PLOTS:

• Javier being a former member of The New Frontier(which was originally the case), going back to search for his family, teaming up with Clementine .
    • Tripp knowing Badger before Javier visited Prescott.
    • Eleanor looking her for her mother, Joan. (I don't know if that was a thing, but a subplot about Javier helping Eleanor find her mother would have been neat!)
    • Romance with Eleanor.
    • The Civil War

WASTED LOCATIONS:

Prescott - I wanted to explore. :sob: Little subquests would have been great. Like doing favors for citizens, helping Eleanor in the medical station, Francine(she is stated to be a supply runner so helping her during a supply run!), Conrad, Tripp, etc.
    Wellington
    The Slaughterhouse - This would have been a very memorable scene but I would want it only if Max was not used for the mercy killing choice.
    Richmond - a hub where we talk to the citizens, ask them if they feel good under the leadership of Joan, Clint, Lingard and David would have been nice. To make the players care about these people and support the decision to help them and make Javier a leader.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Hubs. A lot of hubs. I live for the hubs. They were needed.

• Cba'd writing a huge ass essay on everything on my mind right after doing 20 of them for my exams so here's one for character, location, plot and a relationship.

character:Javier Garcia. Yuuuup. Biggest fanboy of javier bringing him up on this specific thread. He's at least my 3rd favourite character in the walking dead, maybe tied 2nd with Lee, but so much more could have been done with his character, and it is a missed opportunity to just leave his story where it is when it hasn't even begun. More of him needs to be elaborated upon in season 4, and telltale can do so much more to make his character even more likeable to the fans who currently dislike him or have mixed feelings about him without making him a complete waste to people who like him, which will be hard to do, but it is possible if telltale decide to put their dicks away and work hard.

Locations:I feel that Prescott was a wasted opportunity that could have offered a lot to the story. It should have stayed around even longer in longer episodes, not just for half an episode with episode 1 and 2 put together. It would have made its downfall a lot more emotional, and maybe we could have met a few people there who we would see die during the raid. We should have been able to talk to a bunch of the npc's there, maybe played some mini games, something that many telltale games do not have, such as poker, and if you won it would give you gear such as weapons, ammo shit like that, and you had the old first person shooting thing that was in season 1, and if you didn't win or scavenge the ammo in any of these locations, then you're fucked, you have to go in for melle attacks but be quick about it before the timer runs out and you die. Phantom punch should have been able to be played since Tripp looks like he knows a bit about fixing up tech and machinery, seeing as he was a dock worker and they gotta work with stuff like that, so javier could have played that, maybe he could have had Tripp/Gabe/or Clem's a friendly competition. That would have made me sooo happy and immersed in the world. I know telltale isn't the kind of company to do stuff like this but they had customisable clothing and vehicles in TFTBL so they should do the same kind of thing here but evolve it!

Plot:I was fine with the plot of the story, where it was going and all that, although it could have been written a bit better. But the ending. Oh man the ending. They decided to pull out javier's new sexuality out of their asses at the last moment. Fuckin' what? All season he's been mentioning getting boners over girls and can flirt with Kate and Eleanor, but somehow he can call Jesus a charmer right after he says the same and voila! He is now bi. That should have happened to another character who we actually knew was bi the whole time. Then there's the whole thing with both javier and clem thinking it was a good idea to let clementine look for AJ alone... WTF?!?! Srsly? What if something were to happen to clementine? Not much hope for AJ after that without a backup. They really thought gambling with an infant's life just because it was personal to clementine was a good idea? No. Javier should have left somebody in charge of Richmond while he went to go help clem, at least send a group big enough to assist her... but preferably javier :3 and that bat... oh man that bat. I might be the only sicko here who finds the joy of sweet aluminium crushing skulls and bones but oh man is it satisfying. But AJ's safety is top priority for season 4 and that cannot be put at risk! I know clementine has plot armor until episode 4/5 but what if AJ was moved from the ranch? That's the only way I can see the story carrying on and the characters having a purpose. This is why javier needs to return so we have a familiar face who we know, as well as new characters from Richmond who accompanied javier. Remember those guys from the concept art screenshots who we never saw? Them. That's our cast. It is also what could possibly help improve the plot elements for season 4.

Relationships: Javier... and Kate... omfg. Not to be weird or anything but I was hoping to get him laid until she showed up as a fookin' walker, and the game ends without that happening if she is alive. I wanted real romance between the two, but I guess javier can always move forward. I just hope that if javier does return, and if we do get 50/50 split between clementine and javier there be a choice for us to flirt and romance a new, likeable female character, for those players who had Kate die, and if Kate is indeed dead when she is missing, for them too. This is what a new frontier should have been. If the player wanted romance, then they should have had all these crazy mass effect like choices. I'm not the biggest fan of romance, but it would have been super cool if this was here!

Ik I said it wasn't going to be an essay but imagine how long it would have been if I went into EVERYTHING. Anyway, this is what I thought was wasted in a New Frontier and what the future seasons should really do to improve. I enjoyed a New Frontier but it is still hard not to point out the flaws and what could have made better, I have a lot of respect for the developers, real nice people, and I only hope they evolve the series for the better and create the perfect season four.

• edited July 2017

Now that I finally have the time again, let's talk about Lieutenant Max!
    (Derp!)

Being the first antagonist(not counting David, obviously) introduced in Part 1 of ANF, this Joe Pesci caricature is the one who exposited and practically embodied the concept that the New Frontier were a group of orderly thugs (most likely Clint's influence) that do what they do because they see it as necessary to establish order in a world with fairly little. Initially encountering Javier as just another thief stealing from their break area, Max would encounter him several times throughout the game as an enemy to the New Frontier that's looking to support and protect his family, which unbeknownst to Max was actually David's family. Throughout these encounters, Max was established as a thug who, while certainly having a temper that makes his live up to his appearance on occasion, believed in justice. This came up in a number of moments where he dissuaded Rufus and Badger from hurting/killing Javier for what he did to their men in lieu of taking him to Richmond to stand trial instead, showed reservations about the more extreme things Badger does, finds himself conflicted on his orders from the rest of the Council due to his friendship with David, and, despite having nothing to do with it and initially not knowing who they are, feels bad about what happened to Kate and Marianna.

All of this comes to a head when it's revealed that he was in on the raids on other settlements alongside Badger on Joan's orders, with the implication being that he went along with the raids primarily because she convinced him it was necessary benefited Richmond. After a scuffle that ends in Badger's death, Lonnie's escape, and his capture, Max reveals the nature of their backdoor operations and Richmond's prosperity are linked, apologizing to David for not only being in on it but keeping it a secret from him personally. He then offers to help them sneak back into Richmond and testify about Joan's orders in front of the Council. This would logically mean having to directly defy the influential and persuasive Joan in person despite apparently being afraid of her and cut off the source of Richmond's extra prosperity in the process, so the fact that he was very willing to expose her, even having a silent moment of accord with David outside the hospital, makes it clear he really does want to make things right.

Because of his relevance since Part 1, his characterization as an Anti-villain), his close friendship with David, his history with Clementine when she was a member, and his hand in Joan's raids, it was pretty clear that he was a major character in ANF's plot and was set to have some role to play in the finale. I was personally expecting him to either join the Pro-David forces that David alluded to along with Gabe, Ava, and determinately Shades-Chick for the final battle, be revealed to have been demoted/killed/worse by Joan as punishment for spilling the beans, or be determinantly locked in a cell with her and Lonnie in a more conclusive ending. Instead, he just vanishes from the plot altogether in Thicker than Water alongside Lonnie, with the two being revealed to have been inside a cell awaiting their sentence of being exiled from Richmond in an AMA.

• Hell Yeah, Max!

Now that I finally have the time again, let's talk about Lieutenant Max! (Derp!) Being the first antagonist(not counting David, obviou

Sign in to comment in this discussion.