Did you grow up playing games ?

Comments

• Heh, no I'm not in my early-teens anymore. ^_^

Thanks for the recommendations, I might give Assassin's Creed another go some time.

I have played AC Liberation and I really enjoyed that.

I've also played AC 2, but I didn't really like it that much.
    The controls felt clunky and out-dated (I know it is out-dated.) and I couldn't seem to like the main character Ezio.
    I only played it for around half an hour to an hour, so perhaps I didn't give it a proper chance?
    I've lost the game anyway, so I'd have to buy it again (or get a different one altogether).

But GTA doesn't seem like my thing, but I've never played it before.

It's funny, I just remembered that I forgot to include how I first discovered Telltale Games in my story! :o
    Should I even bother adding it?!

Maybe you misinterpreted it in my original post, (It's really long so I don't blame you.) but video games are not the reason why I got depressed.

I don't know why, but it just seems that video games often get blamed for peoples problems: school shootings, lazyness, social anxiety etc.

ScootyZ posted: »

I'm curious how old you are now. I thought you must have been an adult, but are you still in your early teens? Anyway, other than playing

• Well, a lot of people agree parkour has been parkour has been imoroved siginificantly since 2009. No' it hasn't. The Ezio games gave you most freedom, but also takes most skill! I'd say give it one more go, although that might be difficult since you don't like Ezio. He's a fan favourite for many reasons. AC Liberation is a PS-Vita spin off, I don't see why you'd like that. But give AC2 and the rest a try.

And add why you played telltale games!

Heh, no I'm not in my early-teens anymore. ^_^ Thanks for the recommendations, I might give Assassin's Creed another go some time. I h

• edited August 2017

Yes.
    I started with pc, I remember most of my old games, but becuse I wasn't good at English, I don't know most of my old games name. I first started with a car game, and then started to playing PopCap games, after that, I played stronghold serios. and then, my pc couldn't run any new game, so in most of
    the days I needed to wait to go to my uncle house to play the new games(I think I were go there 5,6 days each week), like call of duty and battlefield when I think I was 7 or 6. Than I Finally get Xbox 360. Now I have Xbox One(So much exited for Xbox One X), I bought a PC too so I can play
    Strategics games. Now I play minecraft, minecraft story mode S 1&2, Battlefield 1,total war Attila&Rome 2 and Destiny(Can't wait for Destiny 2) .

• What class are you? You can probably tell what I am by my username...

ali1382 posted: »

Yes. I started with pc, I remember most of my old games, but becuse I wasn't good at English, I don't know most of my old games name. I fir

• Haha, I guess so. It wasn't all that though, like I only played a bit of God of War then, I only finished the first two when I was 12 on my PS3. As for Mortal Kombat, my Dad and I kept getting stuck, so despite nostalgia I wouldn't exactly call it the pinnacle of my gaming experience.

I may have also been able to watch the occasional 15 rated movie, but again, this was all possible because of my Dad. I suppose my Mum and Dad never believed in that "video games make people violent" theory, which I don't either. My family always saw me as being more intelligent than older cousins and my older sister for some reason, so maybe that played a part in them being more lenient (I promise that isn't me boasting) haha.

did play a decent amount of violent games like the first two God of War games and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance when I was 8 or 9,

• I played since the N64. I kinda got out of it since I don't play it all the time anymore.

• Fun story, my dad was the one who got me into gaming, otherwise I don't think I'd have gotten in myself. He was (and still is) a fan of shooting games, with me prefering (besides games like telltale's) the single player action-adventure types like AC, PoP and Dishonored.

How did it all start you ask? With him getting me a bunch of expansions for the Sims lol

• edited August 2017

Akshely, I don't know what "class" that you're talking about means.

What class are you? You can probably tell what I am by my username...

• Titan, Hunter, or Warlock?

Akshely, I don't know what "class" that you're talking about means.

• edited August 2017

I disagree with ScootyZ on Black Flag. It is a great game. Not a great Assassin's Creed, but a great pirate game. As a fan of Sid Meier's Pirates!, I just couldn't pass it up, and I recommend it. It is like how Skyrim is a fantastic game but not such a great Elder Scrolls, you know? For barely scratching the surface of the lore. Black Flag is like that for the AC franchise, it is enjoyable on itself but it doesn't do much for the lore and the main plot of the series.

Syndicate is my favourite gameplay-wise, btw, the controls are much less clunky than previous games.

Heh, no I'm not in my early-teens anymore. ^_^ Thanks for the recommendations, I might give Assassin's Creed another go some time. I h

• You couldn't even free jump in Syndicate. The hans-holding was atrocious. That's the main defect of the game.

I just couldn't enjoy the sailing. I'd just go full sail and wait for 5 mins to reach my destination, occasionaly clumsily bumping into enemy ships and trigger conflict. How is that even fun?

Abeille posted: »

I disagree with ScootyZ on Black Flag. It is a great game. Not a great Assassin's Creed, but a great pirate game. As a fan of Sid Meier's Pi

• The controls were smoother and the fights were way more fast-paced. The fear mechanic introduced with the Jack the Ripper DLC felt good to use and allowed for more interesting gameplay (not to mention the story of the DLC is pretty good, too). They made up for the lack of free jump by simply making the controls more responsive, which made navigating through the map faster and more fluid than on previous game. They had less invisible walls and much less surfaces you couldn't climb, giving more freedom of movement and travel in the game in general. I take that over free jump (which wasn't even an useful mechanic anyway) any day. The twins also have two very different gameplay styles to them, which added more variety to the game. On top of the improved gameplay, Syndicate also has a variety of side quests with very different approaches, depending on which famous person you are helping out and which twin is doing it.

As for Black Flag, I enjoyed sailing, but then again, I'm a fan of "Sid Meier's Pirates!" so of course I would like it. I would actively seek out new islands, treasures and enemy ships. The main character is interesting, and they did a good job with the character development of the famous pirates (especially Read and Thatch). The ending is definitely one of the most emotional in the series, too. As I said, it is a good game on itself, just not good as part of a series. I definitely couldn't skip it if you want a good story with good characters. I would skip Unity instead if I had to choose one, the story was full of predictable cliches. I mean, more than usual for an AC game, it is not like the writing of these games is stellar anyway. They are no Morrowind.

You couldn't even free jump in Syndicate. The hans-holding was atrocious. That's the main defect of the game. I just couldn't enjoy the s

• There is always someone who is worse off than you.
    But it doesn't make your problems any less real.

It's important to be aware of other peoples feelings and problems, but not so much so that you neglect your own.

True, true. It's more of a first world addiction. I guess it shows how good I have it when I can complain about shit like this.

• edited August 2017

I far prefer the somber romance tone of Unity than Blag Flag's story in general. I can't say much as its purely personal opinions. Again, the sailing is terrible. It took me 10 tries every time to capture a fort. 20 times to beat a story mission. The gameplay in general is frustrating, seriously.

What you said about Syndicate, I beg to differ. It is a great game, especially the setting. I agree the fights are way better and JTR introduced cool mechanics. The lack of free jump = kills the fun of AC. I want to control my character, not stop at the edge of a building every single time. If the game thinks I'm gonna leap to my death, its wrong. It takes a nice amount of practise to master free running in older games (Especially Ezio games). Whereas if I'm a newcomer going into syndicate, I'd parkour like a master assassin. The lack of required skill is just devastating.

To say the twins play differently is an overstatement. They play exactly the same albeit with different animations and perks. (Jacob more brawl, Evie more stealth). I was also surprised how they could carry (and throw a considerable distance) bodies twice or thrice Jacob or Evie's size respectively. Especially Evie lol. Literally everyone (other than female blighters) she fights is almost 1.5, twice or thrice her size. I liked how Arno couldn't carry bodies, really adds to the realism. Not to mention the combat, which did not make you feel like a invincible Batman.

Ezio shouldn't be able to carry bodies either, but whatever. Makes sense for Connor, Edward and Adewale to be able to though, they are huge. Aveline in AC Liberation couldn't, I hate how they just threw the realism out of the window in Syndicate.

The controls were smoother and the fights were way more fast-paced. The fear mechanic introduced with the Jack the Ripper DLC felt good to u

• Yeah, began with the Gamecube.

• I grew up with pc games and our parents were never against it. We did use the pc games for homework as well. We did had time sheet that we had to use (So, my brothers and I wouldn't be fighting over the pc). This was in the mid 80s.

Our first pc was a Texas Instrument TI-99 (Tumbstone City) I remember playing as my Mom loved the game. Lol I think that's the one pc where we would pick out a game in a book and we would have to type everything out on the computer (to play the game). If you missed up and the game wouldn't work. Yes, that means we would have to retype. Then, it was the Apple 2gs pc and I played Donkey Con, hours of pac-man, Organ Trail, Number Munchers. IBM Aptiva was Silent Steel. Compaq and Hp was The Sims, Tomb Raider, Mafia 2, Pitfall.

Needles to say, over the years we went through lot of pc. Lol

Oh gosh, Gameboy and Nintendo it was Wii Super Mario Bros and Tetris.
    PS2 ( I saved my own money up for the system), Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, Grand Theft Auto.

Now, I just upgraded to PS4. :)

My new Hp laptop does have few games. Not much.

• Oh, you mean in Destiny? I'm a Titan.

Titan, Hunter, or Warlock?

• Hell yea jaguar, nintendo, super nintendo, sega, sega cd/SATURN, nin 64,dreamcast. have mass collection still all work too

• I noticed that whenever someone talks about AC, there's always someone that wants to jump aboard and give their opinion on it too.
    There's nothing wrong with that, it's just, I don't know, interesting... :D

The controls were smoother and the fights were way more fast-paced. The fear mechanic introduced with the Jack the Ripper DLC felt good to u

• Wow, seriously?
    You couldn't watch something until you were 10 years old because it had swords in it?

That's really stupid; there's no sense nor justification in that.
    It sounds kinda controlling, to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were a rebel if your parents were that strict...

did play a decent amount of violent games like the first two God of War games and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance when I was 8 or 9,

• edited September 2017

A Father that neglected his children in favor of gaming, but then becoming a gamer yourself, must actually be pretty hard...
    I totally understand that.

My Mom really enjoyed The Last Of Us, but she didn't play it - she's not a gamer - she watched me play through it.

EDIT:
    I've been thinking about this post and I felt kinda bad about it since you said you didn't want to talk about that and yet I sort of continued it on and made a comment about it.
    That was kinda disrespectful of me. :(

I don't know how you will feel about it, but I just wanna apologize anyway.

Should I take it out or not?
    I know that you will still see it in your feed regardless.

I don't think my mom would even take a controller in her hands, so she likely won't ever play The Last of Us. But not because It's too bruta

• Haha, that's true!

I noticed that whenever someone talks about AC, there's always someone that wants to jump aboard and give their opinion on it too. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just, I don't know, interesting...

• DarkLight_GrDarkLight_Gr Banned
    edited September 2017

pssss ofcource yes! from like 4 years old? grew with ps 2 the got a ps 3 then (secret now i am illigal with pc) don't tell on ps 3 and 2 that i cheated on em ok?
    my first games were dynasty warriors 5 and warriors orrochi and the my 2nd best fav game at that time was GTA SA even if i was too young to play it i remember i played god of war too still SO YOUNG FOR THE GAMES THAT I WAS PLAYING but thug life enter image description here so yeah xD

• True! We AC fans have lots of opinions xD

I noticed that whenever someone talks about AC, there's always someone that wants to jump aboard and give their opinion on it too. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just, I don't know, interesting...

• I disagree that the previous games required "more skill" because of the free jump. The controls are easier because they are more responsive and because the movements are more fluid, but AC is basically running forward holding shift to parkour anyway.

The twins do play differently, though, unless you do not invest on their specific skills. The twin-specific missions are also very different. And towards the end of the game, the twin you play can mean having a much easier time in certain situations (I prefer Evie's stealthy approach, myself). I do not find unrealistic for them to be able to carry people bigger than them, they are trained assassins after all, they are really strong physically and they wouldn't be able to climb like they do if they weren't so strong. Pulling your own body up using only your arms, something that they do all the time, is actually harder than carrying someone bigger than you. And yes, that goes for the female protagonists too. So, they didn't throw realism out of the window any more than any previous AC.

I far prefer the somber romance tone of Unity than Blag Flag's story in general. I can't say much as its purely personal opinions. Again, th

• edited September 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if you were a rebel if your parents were that strict...

nah, i would never rebel against her. my mom's a really good person. i trust her with my life honestly, she only wanted what's best for me and these days she looks back on it and laughs about how ridiculous it was. besides, i wasn't really missing out anyway, power rangers is kinda bad lol.

Wow, seriously? You couldn't watch something until you were 10 years old because it had swords in it? That's really stupid; there's no s

• I grew up playing "Sonic Unleashed" man i used to play that game 24/7 until i grew out of it at around age 7. Then i started playing "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare." Also enjoyed playing that game, i quitted because my Mom's friend's son used to thrash me on that game, up until around the age of 9. Then yeah, founded out "Telltale games" (from 2016) now i am an addict xD. (the old school games i used my PS3 but now i used PS4)

• edited September 2017

Indeed I did.

My first experience with video games was when I played Tony Hawk's Underground 2 on my cousin's old PS2. I think I was 6 at the time. THUG 2 still remains as my favorite game of all time and not just because of I have a nostalgia boner it. The game itself is still great to play.

I also played some random games on my uncle's Super Nintendo (Mario mainly), before I got my own console.

As of speaking, I finally got my own first console (PS2), when I was 8, and the first games I got to it were SSX 3 and Ratched & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. Other games that I really loved were Hitman: Blood Money, Burnout 3: Takedown and the whole Sly series. My parents weren't too unhappy about me playing video games, since I was an active kid anyways and I went out to play a lot.

After PS3 was released, other game series I got into were GTA, FIFA, Assassin's Creed, The Elder Scrolls and Saints Row. All those still remain as my favorites (not FIFA and AC anymore though, because I feel like they've both gone to shit). But at this point, my parents became unhappy about me playing video games, since I was spending all day playing video games while my grades went down and I barely left home anymore. I have no regrets thought, since playing video games with my friends gave me some of my best memories of my life so far.

Nowadays I don't have the time to play anything. Way too busy working and studying. But if I do play something, I play on my crappy PC.

• edited September 2017

I guess it all boils down to personal preference again.

Anyway, their bodies don't show lol. As I mentioned, previous assassins with smaller frames couldnt lift bodies. We've seen a sleeveless Evie with arms as thin as a stick. Also saw shirtless Jacob, who has a average body.

On the contrast, we've seen shirtless Edward and Connor as well. Who could very well carry bodies the way Jacob and Evie does. Ezio possibly could as well. He has pretty damn broad shoulders. As opposed to the assassins that couldn't, such as Arno and Aveline, they all have considerably small frames. With Evie's frame smaller than Arno's and on par with Aveline's. Jacob might be as big as Arno (or even smaller due to his sort of slim figure)

I disagree that the previous games required "more skill" because of the free jump. The controls are easier because they are more responsive

• edited September 2017

YES!!! #TITANSMASTERRACE

Oh, you mean in Destiny? I'm a Titan.

• Parents make mistakes sometimes.
    It's good that she is able to look back and realize if she's done something wrong. XD

Yeeaaaaahhh power rangers sucks... I never watched it.

Spongebob & Avatar were mah shows!

I wouldn't be surprised if you were a rebel if your parents were that strict... nah, i would never rebel against her. my mom's a rea

• Yup. Admittedly I wouldn't really say I was super into them, at least looking back at when I considered myself to be, but for as long as I can remember gamings been a hobby. Started with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt on the NES, I still remember never being able to make it past the under water level in TMNT without losing at least one turtle, played a lot of Dick Tracy(huge fan as a kid) and Batman(same reason), Jurassic Park. Switched over to Genesis eventually, did the sonic thing, Road Rash, bunch of games too far back for me to remember. '97 I think, that did it for me. Turned 11 that year, got a Playstation and Tomb Raider, but Final Fantasy 7 was the first game I remember waking up at 5 in the morning on weekends to continue playing that year.

Owned most major systems since then, first one I bought myself was the OG Xbox when I started working at 15. Owned most major systems since then. Not as much time to play as I'd like nowadays, nevertheless I've got nearly 250 games on my waiting to install list for my One. Most of them I've never even beaten, but I've got them for a rainy day lol

• Did I grow up playing video games? Yes, I did. Been a gamer since I was 3-years-old. My first games were the Crash Bandicoot games, Spyro the Dragon trilogy, Super Mario games, Yoshi's Story, Banjo-Kazooie and plenty more older games. As I grew older, I always got the next console that Nintendo and Sony made. I even got my very first Xbox 360 console and game (Sonic the Hedgehog) back in 2006.

To this day, I have a PS4, PS3, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE, N64, Wii and Wii U (planning on getting Switch soon).

• Well I wasn't a hardcore gamer up until 2013, but it all started when I was about 5 years old and my dad bought our first computer and then he kept bringing home games. I stayed out all day and when I stayed home I was playing what games I found there. I had a little obssession with Jazz Jackrabbit xD and then came Doom, MDK2 (which I didn't really understand what tf was going on in there), GTA:Vice City, Sims 2 and in 2013 my brother cames to me and says "Hey, I know you like TWD so I thought I should tell you I found a TWD game on the AppStore!" and at that point everything started :D.

• Yes i did, my first games were the Ape Escape series (don't know if you know about them). I think i was around 6 years old then.

• edited September 2017

Started playing games at my cousin's place because only he had a PC back then, started with: Wolfenstein: Return to Castle, NFS Underground and the old CODs and the old GTAs. That was when I was around 9 years old or 10.
    At 13 years old I got a PC but I didn't play on it so much until later because I used to live in the country side and we were outside for most of the time but when I played it was mostly shooters: Wolfenstein 2012 (I think ?), Bulletstorm, COD, Crysis and an MMORPG called "4Story".
    At 15 years old my mom got a divorce and I moved with her to the city and got a new PC which could handle everything back then (BF3, COD: Ghosts, Crysis 2/3, Skyrim etc.) I'm still using that PC but it fell behind a bit. Between 15 and 18 years old I spent most of my time playing on my PC, since I didn't know many people here, made friends online and actually got to meet some of them because of this. In this time period I gathered tons of games, my Steam account being currently priced somewhere at 630$

So you can say I grew up with games but it wasn't that big of a part in my life until later.

• edited September 2017

Привет америка, хех, я из россии, я провинциал, да, я считай вырос на играх, по крайней мере я много гулял и играл на улице лет до 15, но и в компьютеные игры играл много. Всё началось в мои 6 лет, когда 8-ми летнему брату дядя подогнал старенький комп, всё начиналось с обычных игр от Алавар, всяких там Shoot n' roll, Авианалёт, Бомберик и прочие, хотя названия к сожалению на английский не перевести, ну и разумеется чем дальше, тем больше игр: Half-Life, Postal, Wolfenstein, Toblo, Terraria, Cube World, Team Fortress 2, Diablo 2, Quake 3, Will Rock, Minecraft, Portal, Left for Dead, Star Wars galactic battleground, Alien Shooter, Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade, Silent Hunter 4, Torchlight 2, Flatout, Fallout, World of Tanks, Dota 2, World of Warschips, World of Warplanes, Sven co-op, Zanzarah, battlefield 1942, Serious Sam, Rim World, Darkest Dungeons, Red Faction, BRINK, Penumbra, Rise of the Triad, Starbound, Rage, Mortal Kombat, Skirym, The Binding of isaac, Brutal Legend, Saints Row, Killing Floor, DogFighter, Garry's Mod, Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2, Unreal Tournament 3, NFS, Factorio, Max Payne, Far Cry, Halo, TimeShift, Bioshock, Dishonored, CoD, GTA San Andreas, Mafia, Just Cause, XCOM, Thief, Metro 2033, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Mass Effect, Saboteur, Rayman, Resident Evil, Sims, Command and Conquer: Renegade, HoMM, Kings Bounty, Disciples 2, Spore, World of Goo, Civilization 5. И это даже не половина того во что мы играли.

• It's okay. Becoming a gamer myself isn't as hard as others may think. You don't have to feel bad.

A Father that neglected his children in favor of gaming, but then becoming a gamer yourself, must actually be pretty hard... I totally und

• Okay then. XD
    Sorry for my stupid over-analysis of it. :sweat:

It's okay. Becoming a gamer myself isn't as hard as others may think. You don't have to feel bad.

• Yes, I started gaming at around age 9 or 10, when my grandparents bought their very first desktop pc. I started off playing old CD-ROM games on the windows 95 thing. Then a year or two later I had gotten Diablo 1 & 2, and Unreal for my birthday and ever since I started playing Unreal and Diablo my life of gaming began and still going strong today at 24 years old.

Tldr; Unreal (First one ever made) & Diablo 2 were the games that hooked me into gaming.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.