Perfect Videogame?

I was going to write a long ass thing shit but 1: I'm lazy and 2: Most people will most likely not read it soooo, yeah, I guess. Title says everything. What would the perfect videogame? The perfect symbolisms and methaphors, the most appropiate things (for example: for a book, poetry would be the best way to tell a message with art. In a movie, photography, painting, music, visual arts. For a game, theater, I guess?). The best topics topics to treat, overall. Maybe players are not very interested on Plato's philosophy, uh? Just give your opinion or something.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2017

Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Gameplay is amazing, the plot is thick and emotional, a perfect Farewell ending for an old character, teaches you history, immersive, intense, heartbreaking/warming. Excellent fight sequences ranging from stealth to direct combat, very strategic too. A large open map world with secondary and "thirdiary" missions plus collectibles, lots of personifications. The music and songs are such a perfect match for the game that you will never forget them. Overall a really well balanced game with 3-5 open world maps available throughout the game.

• Assassin's Creed 2:

Why? Search up Cristina's Theme on youtube. The symbolism there is real.

• Tetris. All hail the mighty L-block.

• Well damn...you know...I think you might be right. It can be played for any length of time...nothing in it that you would ever find objectionable....clever yet simple.

I was going to say there are none...but good old Tetris is sort of perfect.

AChicken posted: »

Tetris. All hail the mighty L-block.

• Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 is one of those games

• I'm really hyped for that as well

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 is one of those games

• Yesss...I need that game.

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 is one of those games

• edited September 2017

For me it's Assassin's Creed 3. It's not a perfect game but it gets to me like no other. I love everything about this game, especially the main characters. Connor and Haytham are two of my favourite fictional characters overall and alongside Kenny and Joel, my favourite video game characters. It's so awesome to play a mainstream western game in which the main character is a introvertic, flawed person, not a hyper-masculine cardboard cut-out like early Ezio or Jacob Frye. Also, the music....
    Oh boy, the music....

• A shame Cristina was so under-developed. Fortunately the love interest from later games ( Sofia, Ziio, Caroline, Elise) are a lot more interesting.

ScootyZ posted: »

Assassin's Creed 2: Why? Search up Cristina's Theme on youtube. The symbolism there is real.

• edited September 2017

None of them except Sofia and Elise even holds a candle to Cristina Vespucci. Caroline left Edward so she isnt faithful.

A shame Cristina was so under-developed. Fortunately the love interest from later games ( Sofia, Ziio, Caroline, Elise) are a lot more interesting.

• What does her faithfulness matters? She was in the right, Edward was a drunk, egotistical fool at the time.
    And what so interesting about Cristina? She has no personality, she's only there to make Ezio losing his idyllic life more tragic, she's a plot device, nothing more.

ScootyZ posted: »

None of them except Sofia and Elise even holds a candle to Cristina Vespucci. Caroline left Edward so she isnt faithful.

• edited September 2017

I don't know. We know her from the beggining and she had potential. Plus, she has an awesome theme!

What does her faithfulness matters? She was in the right, Edward was a drunk, egotistical fool at the time. And what so interesting about

• Isn't the question "What would make the perfect video game?", not "What is your favorite video game?".

I have an idea in my head of what I think the perfect video game would be for me, but when I type it out it looks so vague and pointless, like "Well duh! Of course a good game should have that!".
    So maybe I don't even understand the question properly...

• Not at all! You're right, this was the main idea of this thread! I'm glad someone understood what I mean! I wanted to say it, but I didn't want to come off as rude so I kept quiet, but yeah, I was looking for things that make a videogame great so that aspiring writers (ejem like me cofcof) could have a compass to follow, not just knowing everybody's favourite game.

I would love to hear your opinion on the matter! Please, tell me!

Isn't the question "What would make the perfect video game?", not "What is your favorite video game?". I have an idea in my head of what

• edited September 2017

So you want me to tell you my dream video game?

-Victorian era London
    -A male lead like Haytham Kenway
    -Mostly slice of life (like LiS)
    -Good Open World
    -Engaging story
    -Good Graphics
    -More life-like features.
    -Gothic horror feel
    -Grand feeling (like Buckingham Palace)

Basically a combination of my favourite games haha.

• I had already rewritten it twice and it still seemed really unoriginal to me so I figured it wouldn't be of any use and deleted it.

It was basically just like this:
    I like game where you explore.
    I like story with good message behind it.
    I like surprising plot-twists that make sense.
    I like realistic characters with depth.
    Good graphics are nice, too
    End.

...Not really helpful.

To be honest, I just wanted to point out to everyone what the question was because I was interested to see what other people had to say about it.

Not at all! You're right, this was the main idea of this thread! I'm glad someone understood what I mean! I wanted to say it, but I didn't w

• papai46 posted: »

The perfect videogame is impossi- http://store.steampowered.com/app/666020/Shark_Dating_Simulator_XL/

• Well, yeah, every good game should have that, but that doesn't make your opinion worth less. You're still the only one that actually aswered my question :)

I had already rewritten it twice and it still seemed really unoriginal to me so I figured it wouldn't be of any use and deleted it. It wa

• edited September 2017

I think what makes a perfect game:

• An immersive, compelling story with life lessons
    • Interesting, relatable characters
    • Beautiful scenery
    • Good music
    • Fun gameplay
    • Humor
  • Goddammit papai46, you really do have bestiality, don't you? :|

papai46 posted: »

The perfect videogame is impossi- http://store.steampowered.com/app/666020/Shark_Dating_Simulator_XL/

• TBH, I don't find any perfect games cause they're all just getting old, especially after you earned all their trophies/achievements.

• "Barry, you're so optimistic!"

AronDracula posted: »

TBH, I don't find any perfect games cause they're all just getting old, especially after you earned all their trophies/achievements.

• I actually love that game, I always have. I've played them all and I spent £70 importing that one and im not even a guy or gay.

• Welcome to the family, son.

"Barry, you're so optimistic!"

• best game ever is the yakuza series i just wish you could explore more of tokyo other than just kamurocho

• Honestly, I don't think there is a single video game that is perfect. There are excellent and incredible games for sure, but if we had perfect games there would be no place for growth.

• I'm... not a son.

Welcome to the family, son.

• Welcome to the family, darling.

I'm... not a son.

• I love how no one is aswering to my question-- i specified what i exactly mean above. I'm not asking for a game you think is perfect, i want to hear about a hypotetical game, what things you would put in a game to make it perfect, what things make videogames good videogames.

• "WHAT?! ...What is this?"

Welcome to the family, darling.

• No...

Goddammit papai46, you really do have bestiality, don't you?

• edited September 2017

play with birds for the nintendo wii

edit: wow not only is this a slight necrobump but i responded to the post incorrectly for the sake of a meme

• That's a dumb question, i prefer the meme version.

I love how no one is aswering to my question-- i specified what i exactly mean above. I'm not asking for a game you think is perfect, i want

• May I ask WHY is it a dumb wuation?

papai46 posted: »

That's a dumb question, i prefer the meme version.

• Now that I'm more awake and ready to answer this kind of question, I want to say that nothing is perfect. You can NEVER make something without flaws that'll please everyone, hell Bojack Horseman is probably objectively the best piece of media I've ever seen but it has it's flaws, like how the first 3 episodes kinda suck.

Regardless, you cannot make a perfect video game, but you can make a video game that reaches a very high level of quality. There are quite a few genres but I'm gonna focus on 2 very important/iconic types of video games. Cinematic and Horror (mostly because these are the only two genres I'm good at talking about). Now of course these are not the only important genres, but these 2 genres have spawned some of the greatest games of all time and the best games of their respective genres, and it's important to know why they work in order to know how to make a, quote unquote, "perfect videogame".

Cinematic:

The cinematic "genre" isn't really a genre at all, but more a category. These are the kinds of games that focus a lot more on story than others. Games like The Last of Us, The Walking Dead, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and Shadow of the Colossus are games that are very much interested in giving you a story and an interesting world built about it. Each of these games have a number of good things going for it, but a lot of flaws. If you're making a game meant to be a cinematic type of experience, there are a couple things you need to have nailed down.

Your characters have to strike EMOTION through the player. Full stop. If your characters are supposed to be likable, make them likable without artificial plot bullshit, if your character is a villain, make the audience hate them and respect them. The game that does this perfectly out of the 4 mentioned above is indeed Telltale's The Walking Dead, Season One specifically. Can't wait for the "REEEE TELLTALE DICK RIDER" responses.

The world your story takes place in must be interesting. Destiny has just a fucking abysmal story that doesn't work on any level, the main plot of the game drags on and is a waste of time, but, the world that the story takes place in is very interesting. Hearing about all these pasts events that unfolded and why they happened is far more interesting than listening to Lord Saladin drone on and on about pointless shit. Which brings me to another point.

Don't do what Destiny did. Yes, the world building can make a bad story interesting, but if your story is bad then it takes the player out of the experience. There's a lot you can do to remedy a bad story, for example the story to The Last of Us isn't anything great but the world building and characters give it a very unique feeling. What Ellie and Joel's goal is becomes very boring very quickly, but it's the journey they have that makes you care. Even so, it's a terrible idea to rely so heavily on those remedies, which is why a good story is very much required to make a good story game.

In order to make a "perfect" story game, those requirements should be fulfilled as they are important. Gameplay can come secondary but gameplay should not be made shitty just for the sake of a story. Examples of games where all of these elements are excellently done are Dark Souls, The first Fallout game, Yume Nikki, and of course, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Horror:

A good horror game should disturb you. Not scare you, not make you jump, not make you sick to your stomach with endless gore, a good horror game, a REAL one, is one that disturbs you. A couple examples of this are Silent Hill 3, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 7, and Clock Tower. A horror game should disturb you but also interest you enough to keep watching, similar to 1979's iconic film, Alien.

To disturb, you need good atmosphere. Resident Evil 7 is quiet for the most part, but there's still always a sense of uncertainty, not knowing whether or not whatever is chasing you is going to show up or if it was just a one time thing. And while you're on edge, the floor creaks as you move, wind blows onto the house, you hear far off noises in the home, the save room music calms you but still gives you this unnerving feeling, the doors quietly creak open, it's all quiet but not quiet enough. There's always something you should worry about. All 4 of the games I mentioned do this exceedingly well but with the RE Engine, Resident Evil 7 knocks it out of the park.

Then we have the foe. Whatever monster you're presenting needs to be designed well. While Clock Tower and Resident Evil 7 pull off atmosphere quite well, their monster designs are a little lacking. ResE 7 has goop bois and Clock Tower has the Scissorman. Not a whole lot of variety. Silent Hill 3 and Bloodborne on the other hand, have a plethora of interesting and fantastic monsters. A lot of which have deeper meaning than surface level. If you aim to disturb, your monsters must be something to fear as well.

Finally, subtlety is the most important part. If you're going to use a jumpscare, it has to be subtly built up. In Five Nights at Freddy's, this is done very, very, VERY wrong. While in the first game the atmosphere and admittedly the foe do work, the subtlety is non-existent. It's not scary at all whatsoever, and it proves how important subtlety is. But not just subtlety in scares, subtlety is always important in the story. The stark contrast between how subtlety is properly used and how you should never ever ever make any piece of media ever, is shown in Silent Hill 3, and it's film counterpart, AIDS Rebor-- I mean Silent Hill: Revelations.

In Silent Hill 3, you can tell every emotion Heather is feeling just by looking at her face. Team SILENT's brilliant graphical design during the development of the game shows emotion on character's faces very well. Heather never blurts out how she's feeling unless through the act of crying, which she only does twice. The story symbolizes a lot, like a LOT, but it's not explained to you, it treats you like an adult and you figure it out yourself. And finally, the horror. Numerous scares in the game are subtle and in the background of what you're seeing. Valtiel dragging away corpses, a little girl you cannot see crying and disappearing in a bloodied corridor, even the mirror room is subtle because you can straight up miss that room. Then you have Revelations.

Literally everything Heather is thinking and feeling is told and not shown, her horrible fucking actress can't face act for shit and should be thrown in a pit of fucking fire. The story has no symbolism anymore but since they wanted to drag in fans of the game, they just say the symbolic shit outloud that doesn't even involve the movie. The monsters are just stolen and cherry picked from other Silent Hill games so Heather has no personal demons, and none of the scares are subtle. The movie opens with 3 fake out jumpscares in a row and a fucking pop-tart jumpscare immediately after. Subtlety is very, VERY important. Even in non horror games subtlety is so fucking important in every way. If your game isn't subtle, you become Silent Hill: Revelations.

In conclusion, it's physically impossible to create a perfect game, but you can create a damn near perfect one. All you need to do is follow the example of games that did it right beforehand. This does NOT mean copy the games and mimic their every move, but moreso look at what does and doesn't work about the game, and take it as an example to make your own masterpiece. There are many more points I could have made but I'm at work and I don't have time to write and entire 30 page essay. So basically, there are no perfect videogames and there's no way to make one...

...UNLESS YOU'RE PLAY WITH BIRDS BABYYYYYYYYYYYY GAME OF THE YEAR 2011 BABYYYYYYYYYYY, BEST GAME OF ALL TIME HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

• NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THANK YOU!

Now that I'm more awake and ready to answer this kind of question, I want to say that nothing is perfect. You can NEVER make something witho

Sign in to comment in this discussion.