Site update discussion. NEW 11/30; Display first post on all pages + classic forum category layout

Comments

• I wonder what was told to them in order to "persuade" them that, at the time, threaded was better.

Very little. We had no comparison. 99% of the users here(besides TWD forum) weren't reddit users. In fact, even some mods opposed the change as well. I'm not linking anything, but some of these conversations still exist. We just had to try it, and decide whether we wanted to stay or not.

Lol this makes me wonder. They originally had linear way back when, and then moved to threaded. When these "people who were also upset a

• Imagine what it'd be like if Sniper wasn't here, trying to explain things? You'd have a change, a couple other mod comments, and nothing but silence. So be nice about it.

• Am I the only one who doesn't feel like checking other Discussion sections? Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one page.

• Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one page.

Again - most forums do that. I personally didn't like the long list, as only the top two-three listed forums were prominent. Other forums down below didn't get as much attention. The new layout is more egalitarian.

AronDracula posted: »

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like checking other Discussion sections? Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one page.

• edited October 2017

Also bear in mind that linear comments consistently load X amount of comments a page, whereas threaded comments would load entire threaded conversations, many of which were much longer than the amount of comments on a linear page.

Threaded comments keep the discussion in one place...making it easier to follow...linear you are jumping potentially dozens of pages just to get the entire discussion...sometimes with valuable incite.

• edited October 2017

Blind Sniper said:
    Also bear in mind that linear comments consistently load X amount of comments a page (…)

That is true; linear threads carry less posts than Reddit-style threads usually had. Though the fact that you most likely will have to jump between pages to read the discussion is counter-productive in that sense.

Blind Sniper said:
    Again - most forums do that. I personally didn't like the long list, as only the top two-three listed forums were prominent. Other forums down below didn't get as much attention. The new layout is more egalitarian.

Yes, it is more egalitarian, but Blind… people who weren't motivated to scroll down to certain sections won't be motivated now to click on certain boxes. Most members are convinced they know which parts of the forum they enjoy visiting and which parts they don't.

The change of design can't be expected to change how the forum works without a collective change of mindset first.

Johro said:
    Imagine what it'd be like if Sniper wasn't here, trying to explain things? You'd have a change, a couple other mod comments, and nothing but silence. So be nice about it.

True. Despite the fact that we disagree on several points regarding this layout change, I'm grateful to Blind for being attentive and aiding people in coming to terms with it.

• Most of us agree that we want the old layout back it is definitely better

• edited October 2017

Most other forums have this same layout

If other forum layouts were jumping off a bridge, would Telltale jump as well?

Okay, stupid comparison, but the point still stands, just because other forums or sites use this method doesn't always mean it's the best method. A big reason why people like me don't use those sites are BECAUSE of the linear discussions. Just because it's popular doesn't make it right.

EDIT: Ah, I see many others have commented similar things to what I said. I would have known that if we had the Reddit style comment system. Before I typed my reply, I could have saw what people said, but now, due to linear, if I want to see what other people said about something, I have to scroll and search, just to scroll back up to the comment in question if I want to reply. How does this not create a bigger mess?

• @Blind Sniper I need help, I accidentally changed my avatar for the lulz and now I can't change it back to my gravatar.

• I need help, I accidentally changed my avatar for the lulz and now I can't change it back to my gravatar.

You can find your Gravatar via the "Custom Avatar" section at the bottom of the Avatar category selector

@Blind Sniper I need help, I accidentally changed my avatar for the lulz and now I can't change it back to my gravatar.

• Sadly, this is all I'm seeing

I need help, I accidentally changed my avatar for the lulz and now I can't change it back to my gravatar. You can find your Gravatar via the "Custom Avatar" section at the bottom of the Avatar category selector

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2017

Did you recently change your Telltale account's associated email? Gravatars are tied to specific Gravatar accounts, not Telltale accounts.

• edited October 2017

No, I believe they're both tied to my current email, but I can check just to make sure.

Edit: @Blind Sniper It's fixed, thanks for your help. B)

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2017

Dont_Look_Back said:
    Lol this makes me wonder. They originally had linear way back when, and then moved to threaded. When these "people who were also upset about the forum being threaded" were complaining, I wonder what was told to them in order to "persuade" them that, at the time, threaded was better.

The explanation given was that Telltale, at the time, wanted to take their forums in a direction more reminiscent of Reddit or website comment sections on larger media/news sites, since those were the kinds of discussions Telltale were trying to attract at the time with their earlier forum update. The forum regulars at the time didn't like the change, but Telltale said that they were okay with the change in the format since they wanted to look towards other popular sites.

They wanted to wait a few months to let the changes settle down and have people adapt before they took the threaded vs linear feedback into consideration; some of the old school Telltale regulars who weren't interested in Walking Dead style games and threaded comments moved on.

Also - putting "people who were also upset about the forum being threaded" in quotes like that diminishes the fact that the forum regulars at the time legitimately did not like the culture shock, much like what is happening here.

MetallicaRules said:
    If other forum layouts were jumping off a bridge, would Telltale jump as well?

They mentioned specifically that they looked to sites like Reddit at the time for inspiration in implementing threaded comments because sites like Reddit were popular and what people in larger, more diverse communities were interested in.

They knew that threaded comments would not result in the same forum culture as linear comments, but they were okay with it because they were looking to emulate what was popular and trending on larger sites.

• I just took the quotes as comparing the two situations and assuming that we got the same rigmarole(sigh. I miss Sam) back then. We actually got less, but me, comparing the situations, was more me saying we've been there.

It does suck when everything is changed on you and you don't like it. Just being through that though... We know. We know. When Telltale decides to revamp the forum, that decision is made. It's done. They're willing to tinker and make that version of the forum work for us the best it can, but the decision is made. I know I conveyed that same sentiment earlier in more snarky tone and I'm sorry for that. I was trying to just emphasize the point so we could move on to more constructive responses.

• Am I the only one who doesn't feel like checking other Discussion sections? Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one page.

Same here. I stopped checking the rest and have stopped visiting the forum. Too confusing, never know who replies to who, etc.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like checking other Discussion sections? Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one page.

• edited October 2017

Before the web team changes from reddit-style comments to linear-style comments, they should've asked us via a poll. It's been a couple of days and it's still a headache to navigate through the threads. Ugh.

I'm holding off... until they change it back.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Before the web team changes from reddit-style comments to linear-style comments, they should've asked us via a poll. It's been a couple of days and it's still a headache to navigate through the threads. Ugh.

If that happened then everyone would've voted for the Reddit style discussions which is something the web team wanted to move away from.

From what i have read the web team had to wrote a lot of custom code to make discussions work that way as the vanilla forum software doesn't support that type of discussion naturally, with every update they wanted to do something would break and cause problems for most forum users as well as the mods.

Now that they have gone to a more normal forum environment it will be a lot easier for the web team to work with and there will be a lot less issues when updates happen.

Before the web team changes from reddit-style comments to linear-style comments, they should've asked us via a poll. It's been a couple of d

• I don’t really mind the new update

• I don't understand this new format. I liked how in the previous format I could see if there were new comments made (and try to jump to those) to a discussion I was interested in, and whether anyone had responded to a comment I posted. I miss those two features because I am not seeing them. I also miss seeing how many likes I had - it wasn't very much... but it was kind nice. Soo... yeah, am annoyed at the differences.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I liked how in the previous format I could see if there were new comments made (and try to jump to those) to a discussion I was interested in

By default when clicking on a previously read thread it will jump to the first new post since your last visit.

and whether anyone had responded to a comment I posted

To get notifications for when people reply to your comments you will need to turn that option on in your preferences by ticking the "Notify me when people reply to my comments" box and then clicking on the "save preferences" button on the bottom of the page.

I also miss seeing how many likes I had - it wasn't very much... but it was kind nice. Soo... yeah, am annoyed at the differences.

Your likes are still displayed on your profile.

ShampaFK posted: »

I don't understand this new format. I liked how in the previous format I could see if there were new comments made (and try to jump to those

• I get annoyed every time Microsoft releases a new version - it isn't really ever that much better than the last version - but once I figure out what I need, I get over it. I will say that I preferred the Reddit format version better than this linear one. And, yes, I did read that the linear style has pros over the Reddit... but I'm not seeing it yet.

OzzyUK posted: »

I liked how in the previous format I could see if there were new comments made (and try to jump to those) to a discussion I was interested i

• Might I suggest somehow highlighting new discussions? Right now they look like topics you read all the comments for, so unless you remember which threads you already checked, you can't know what's new and what is not.

• It is a bit weird that old comment threads and new threads both say nothing. Old threads with new comments say "new", but brand new threads say nothing.

Pipas posted: »

Might I suggest somehow highlighting new discussions? Right now they look like topics you read all the comments for, so unless you remember which threads you already checked, you can't know what's new and what is not.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited October 2017

Pipas said:
    Might I suggest somehow highlighting new discussions? Right now they look like topics you read all the comments for, so unless you remember which threads you already checked, you can't know what's new and what is not.

I noticed that too, i will point it out to the web team to see if they can do something about it.

ShampaFK said:
    I will say that I preferred the Reddit format version better than this linear one.

I have been reading a lot of that and i think some of it is down to personal preference, i am more old school and like the traditional linear style forums more and never really liked the Reddit style one. From a non moderator point of view i like this change but i can understand people who don't like it as i felt the same way when it first changed to the Reddit style forum.

• edited October 2017

Also bear in mind that linear comments consistently load X amount of comments a page, whereas threaded comments would load entire threaded conversations, many of which were much longer than the amount of comments on a linear page.

Collapsable replies are the answer here. Threaded is superior in every way but the number of comments per page, especially if it's just aesthetic as I think you mean it (a page with many comments never loaded slower than any other page for me). The most sensible solution is to display threaded comments with replies auto-collapsed, maybe showing the first two or three replies, and you can expand them if you want to.

Yes, and the linear comments help promote longer, more thought out posts. Threaded comments previously promoted shorter, quicker discussions.

No. Sure, they may promote longer individual comments, but they will not promote long and thought out discussion. You act as if there was never a case of an interesting discussion taking place on the first page of a thread that might already be a day or two old. This wasn't a problem in the reddit style, but now it would completely disrupt the other discussions taking place.

It used to be (I really don't envy mobile users reading this):

(the preview shows that the editing will be really messed up, but you get my point)

New topic (#1)

Reply (on topic) #1

Reply #1

Your Reply #1

Reply #1

Your other Reply #1

New topic (#2)

Reply #2

Your Reply #2

New topic (#3) (no one cares about this one)

New topic (#4)

Reply #4

Reply #4

Reply #4

In other words, logically structured and enabling discussion of several interesting topics at the same time without disrupting the equally valid and interesting discussions. Even shitposting is more contained and less disruptive this way.

Now it's:

p1

New topic (#1)

Reply (on topic) #1

Reply #1

Reply #1

Reply #1

New topic (#2)

Reply #2

Reply #1

Reply #2

Reply #2

p2

Reply #1

New topic (#3)

Reply #2

Reply #3

New topic (#4)

Reply #1

Reply #4

Reply #3

Reply #4

Reply #2

p3

Reply #3

Your Reply #1

^This is not beneficial for discussion. This isn't more useful than threaded. It's confusing and tedious.

• Who the fuck asked for a change of this community in 2016?

You're basically spamming at this point. Please stop saying the same thing over and over.

Riddle me this. Who the fuck asked for a change of this community in 2016? Everything in this site was going so well before, there was nothing wrong about it.

• I only said it twice. I hate this shit.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Who the fuck asked for a change of this community in 2016? You're basically spamming at this point. Please stop saying the same thing over and over.

• edited October 2017

Do you know why this community has the most users? Because it doesn't have LINEAR threads. Now this is going to be a Ghost Town just like everything else. I'd rather join the Wiki but that shit is dead too.

• Again - most forums do that. I personally didn't like the long list, as only the top two-three listed forums were prominent. Other forums down below didn't get as much attention. The new layout is more egalitarian.

You may not have liked it but the majority did.

Because of this stupid layout, all Discussion sections with threads showing up are separated, they were better when all of them were in one

• The new forums changes are disorientating, but I'll probably get used to it after a while.
    I welcome the new PM system as it was way overdue, especially with the spam and whatnot.

The draft feature is nice too.

I preferred the discussions being in one place though. Now you have jump back pages to see what someone was replying to, which is a little cumbersome.

I have a suggestion to add the ability to see how many people have replied to a particular comment, and to expand the discussion with the click of a button as well as keeping the linear style where new comments show at the bottom of a thread.

• I only said it twice.

You've said it at least three times now.

"Who the fuck asked for this?"

"A shit update that nobody asked for!"
    And now this.

I only said it twice. I hate this shit.

• I keep getting notifications for threads that I don't have bookmarked and haven't posted on in months, even years. Is this a bug?

• So be nice about it.

As I said before, the frustration is aimed the layout/update, not the mods. Had this website's update been more organized and clear maybe you would have seen me say that no more than a day ago.

Johro posted: »

Imagine what it'd be like if Sniper wasn't here, trying to explain things? You'd have a change, a couple other mod comments, and nothing but silence. So be nice about it.

• edited October 2017

I'm not linking anything

I find it hard to believe you're able to remember all those comments from over 4 years ago without even checking it over again.

I looked over it and I can't seem to find many mods that were opposing it.

This was on the main thread regarding the update back in 2013. They seemed to like it. (There werent many mods back then, most were alumni.

If you wish to find those comments of the mods who were supposedly opposing the update, feel free to look through the multiple threads to find that.

• edited October 2017

I did check it over. I just said that I'm not going to link the discussions(There's more than that. There's about 3 more threads that still exist). It's not fair to mods whom are no longer mods and regular users whom are now mods. The current labels make reading it too subjective. Funny to see a time where staff weren't afraid to post on the forum though. They also gave us a beta, so we had a long time to make a decision before the site went live, plus those threads were locked almost daily to clear out hateful responses since the staff were reading them.

• Any how...
    Any other realistic suggestions, people?
    Personally, I would like an actual graphic banner, a "reply with quote" option, and for new discussions to also have the "new" label.

• Does someone have troubles logging in? I'm only able to use my account on my phone and I can no longer log in on PC (chrome). It just shows this "loading" icon and nothing happen. Sorry if theres already a similar question around here, browsing pages on phone sucks.

• Does someone have troubles logging in?

I had a similar issue where it let me log in, the "activity" part just said loading and I couldn't post. Closing chrome and deleting my cookies/data worked. Try that.

fallandir posted: »

Does someone have troubles logging in? I'm only able to use my account on my phone and I can no longer log in on PC (chrome). It just shows

• ...Do I need to mount a search party?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.