Site update discussion. NEW 11/30; Display first post on all pages + classic forum category layout

Comments

• Does defending this piece of crap help you or make a difference?

Melton23 posted: »

Does complaining about the same things really make you feel better or make a difference?

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2017

How about we keep discussion constructive instead of repeating the same criticism in multiple posts without constructive elaboration?

You've made your point known. At this point, I'm going to ask you elaborate on your points; if you don't, it will be considered drive by posting and you might get a small ban for it if you continue to make unhelpful comments without elaboration.

AronDracula posted: »

Does defending this piece of crap help you or make a difference?

• I’m not defending this piece of crap, I’m telling you to stop wasting your time cos I think people have had enough of hearing the same thing over and over

Does defending this piece of crap help you or make a difference?

• Everything would have been fine if July 2016 update didn't happen.

I’m not defending this piece of crap, I’m telling you to stop wasting your time cos I think people have had enough of hearing the same thing over and over

• edited October 2017

I actually am posting this to open discussion. A couple people now have been replied to about the community landing page. It has been suggested for them to use the Recent Discussions link. So my open-ended question is why not use that page as your forum link? Sure, it doesn't include the top whatever of each section, but there's enough from the active forums in my opinion. What was specifically different about the previous page that you preferred?

• edited October 2017

And now instead of scrolling for about 10 seconds to scan all the sub-sections that interest me, I have to swap pages about 10 times, plus scrolling through each subforum regardless?

The Recent Discussions page does help (though it's funny, for a thing that's supposed to prevent a lot of scrolling, the Recent Discussions section requires just about the same amount of it), but it's not quite the same. For example, Thrones is a relatively inactive section save for all those fanfictions and some occasional threads, a thread in Thrones that might've caught my interest will quickly be buried by all the other active forums, whereas by just having the sub section laid out to me would have it under my radar for sure.

a solution would be to perhaps have an option to expand/collapse sections, and preferably have the website memorize which sections a user has expanded/collpsed. An even better feature would be to also give the user the ability to decide which section is above/below each.

This design may look more "egalitarian" at first glance, but it does very little to motivate members to visit subforums they don't usually v

edited October 2017

(though it's funny, for a thing that's supposed to prevent a lot of scrolling, the Recent Discussions section requires just about the same amount of it),

1) You are misattributing what I personally described as one benefit as the reason the web team (i.e., not me) made that change

2) I was saying that the "main page" benefits from the new organization; you are talking about the Recent Discussions page which is different.

If you want something reminiscent of the old design, visit Recent Discussions. The (new) main Forum Page's design has better categorization without showing recent threads; the Recent Discussions page shows a list of all recent threads, as you described liking from the old forums.

And now instead of scrolling for about 10 seconds to scan all the sub-sections that interest me, I have to swap pages about 10 times, plus s

• edited October 2017

And did you not notice the first paragraph? Where I explain why the new main page is not an improvement, but something that makes surfing these forums thoroughly more impractical, obtructive and tedious? And then I was attempting to argue why I think that the "Recent Discussions" page is not a completely effective solution since later on in the thread you did present it as the solution to this issue.

But sure, it might do, though consistently being presented with Minecraft threads and fanfiction, both things I'm definitely not interested in, is kinda unmotivating me from visiting the page.

(though it's funny, for a thing that's supposed to prevent a lot of scrolling, the Recent Discussions section requires just about the same a

• edited October 2017

The Recent Discussions page does help, but it's not quite the same.

True. Currently, the first page of RD only has threads that were active in the past 8 hours. I think I see what you're saying here. That at this point, it's about the same amount of clicking as going through each individual forum if you're going back a couple days.

The old layout probably didn't contain more than 8hrs either, unless a particular forum is dead, which is an example you brought up. Ultimately, Telltale hopes that threads such as these don't stay that slow. GoT shouldn't, eventually season 2 will probably be announced and it'll go crazy again(I know they technically did, but as with my knowledge of Telltale, don't jump up and down until they say they are actually working on it).

• How about, on the main forum page, for any forum that has had a new message posted since the last time you visited that forum, a noticeable border appears around that forum picture, to alert you to the existence of the new message(s). This would not be an indicator that there are any unread messages, because you might choose not to read certain topics, in which case their messages would always be unread. It just indicates if something was posted since the last time you looked. Then you know at a glance if there's a good reason to look again.

• As I said, could you please put forward my solution to the webteam about the subforums?

It's hardly any work, and I talk from very close friends experience. Putting a button that you can choose between 'unnecessary clicking' or 'unnecessary scrolling' could please both sides and it wouldn't be to much coding and shit. I understand that there is a lot of work to choose between linear and threaded discussions, but at the very least put forward this suggestion.

(though it's funny, for a thing that's supposed to prevent a lot of scrolling, the Recent Discussions section requires just about the same a

• You know instead of screwing the forums over...why didn't they try to fix the store and all those poor people who get screwed over by the horrible time they have when they buy a game off the Telltale store.

• The layout for the different game forums is terrible. Now I have to click on each one to see the threads. I'm far less motivated to come on now.

• I really hate the new site update. I have less incentive to come here because of it. Not gonna act like the other format was totally flawless, but it was a million times better than this.

• edited October 2017

the Recent Discussions page linked above lists all the recent threads from multiple forums on one page, and before you ask - yes, it does show which subforum each thread is from.

That seems like a decent workaround, but I still have to get through the topics from sections I don't care about. I wish there was an option to somehow filter them out so only threads from subforums I'm actually interested in would show up. Plus, of course, there's still the problem of new topics not being highlighted, but I suppose that's already being worked on.

Recent Discussions: https://telltale.com/community/discussions If you all are concerned about missing threads from other subforums ( @Bet

• edited October 2017

You and a good chunk of the forum members.

The layout for the different game forums is terrible. Now I have to click on each one to see the threads. I'm far less motivated to come on now.

• Oddly enough, Reddit manages to host multiple forums, all of which support conversations within threads via a drop down reply system under the original post. It may be much more in favor of the people working on the forums to revert to early 2000s format and keep it there, but this is in no way in favor of the users who have to go back to combing through pages of discussion to see every reply in a single conversation. But you'll probably have no idea what this post is in response to, because yours was made on the 19th. Convenience!

Jennifer posted: »

The Vanilla forum was never designed for threaded posts. The Telltale web team did a lot of custom work to get it to function, and honestly

• Reddit is also meant to accommodate different types of discussions than linear forums, which this forum tried to emulate in it's Fall 2013 - Fall 2017 variant.

Linear encourages longer form posting over a smaller amount of more specific and focused topics, whereas Reddit/threaded comments encourage smaller, more passing and fleeting conversations. I agree that the forums need a more direct/helpful way to display which post is being replied to, and that can be added in the future by the web team.

You will find that you don't often have to "comb back pages of discussion" once new discussions are made specifically around the linear format and once people get in the mindset of posting in this new format instead of treating it like they are posting in a threaded discussion that happens to display all comments as linear.

Oddly enough, Reddit manages to host multiple forums, all of which support conversations within threads via a drop down reply system under t

• edited October 2017

Thread: Sorry, not a fan of the new forum look.

I don't like the fact that you have to now select a category to specifically see the chats for that particular game. I liked just scrolling through all of them, it's efficient so I can see what games have news and what chats I'm interested in looking at. On the waiting threads, you can only see all the news on the first page. Change can be good, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, it looked fine before, and just looks worse now.

• Honestly, the new forum design is sooo inconvenient that I don't find any enjoyment in using it anymore. I really hope I'll get used to it, because I genuinely don't want to leave the forums...

• I am seriously interested in seeing what the forum's traffic statistics look like since the update. I feel like the site is now so inconvenient to use and so painful to look at that participation is tapering off.

• Few days later and the Ghost Town still exists.

• Sure, it'll be easier to follow discussions once a legitimate quote feature like the one Gamefaqs has is introduced. That's the one that's been there since, I don't even remember, before Fall 2013? For 4 years the board has emulated a more concise, personal experience between users and then reverted to the primitive style of IGNs lazy format. This reminds me of when I used to post on AOLs No Mercy boards way back, why are established and convenient features a down the pipeline implementation? They fixed something that wasn't broken, and here we are.

Reddit is also meant to accommodate different types of discussions than linear forums, which this forum tried to emulate in it's Fall 2013 -

• edited October 2017

owo

oh goodie, they used the ANF walker...

• Quotes have been added - you no longer have to click links to view previous posts when replying to someone.

edited October 2017

Look, ma! I'm quoting myself just by clicking reply!

Quotes have been added - you no longer have to click links to view previous posts when replying to someone.

• edited October 2017

one two three

Edit: wow it worked

Look, ma! I'm quoting myself just by clicking reply!

edited October 2017

To visit the direct post link for a reply, click the two side arrows >>

one two three Edit: wow it worked

edited October 2017

..and also, I do want to reiterate - the web team is listening to (constructive) feedback (towards improving this iteration in particular), and other updates/improvements are coming down the line too.

Just as the Quote improvements took a few days instead of being an instantaneous fix, other feedback (such as design related feedback) is being listened to as well, although it won't be immediate, just as improved Quoting was not immediate. (These changes will probably be more than a few days off though).

...but, yeah, I just wanted to vouch that the web team is listening and that this isn't a one-and-done update.

• Now that's neat. All they have to do now in put all the Discussion Sections with Threads showed up in ONE page.

edited October 2017

Recent Discussions should hopefully work as a decent substitute: https://telltale.com/community/discussions

It shows all recent forum posts in one listing and also which subforum it is from. It's not entirely the same as the old design, but very close to it in concept.

Now that's neat. All they have to do now in put all the Discussion Sections with Threads showed up in ONE page.

• Now let me choose which ones I want to display.

Recent Discussions should hopefully work as a decent substitute: https://telltale.com/community/discussions It shows all recent forum pos

• If filtering is that important, I'd just recommend clicking the forum links directly for now.

Now let me choose which ones I want to display.

• More scrolling that way, no thank you, the new way is much quicker and organised.

Now that's neat. All they have to do now in put all the Discussion Sections with Threads showed up in ONE page.

• Oh for fucks sake. That argument DOES NOT hold. I think I was pretty clear on that point. This way, it creates more clicking instead, so what is the point?

Therefor, I've come forward and given a solution, and I asked @Blind Sniper to put this forward to the webteam, and I would like an answer to if you have or not.

Let us choose. And this petty arguments won't have to take place, because I frankly find it childish when people use arguments such as: That makes more scrolling, or most forums looks that way.

No offense to the people using these arguments, but please stop using them, because there is no point to them.

More scrolling that way, no thank you, the new way is much quicker and organised.

edited October 2017

Therefor, I've come forward and given a solution, and I asked Blind Sniper to put this forward to the webteam, and I would like an answer to if you have or not.

I have not yet as I've been focusing on giving them the more immediately important (or more quickly applicable) feedback that is more objectively beneficial to larger amounts of users, such as quoting features, PM deletion (without directly opening the PMs), etc.

Reason being, I don't know how quickly they would be able to add that feature and it seems like it would really mess with the current theme they have going. Even if the old forums had that feature, it's probably not as simple as you think to add it in this current version since it relies less on custom features and more on the built-in/standardized features.

No offense to the people using these arguments, but please stop using them, because there is no point to them.

I was using those arguments for more than what's just at surface value of "it works because other forums use it too". I don't see how it's a "childish" argument, as it's not as reductive as it might sound at surface value. There are good reasons why most message boards are linear on a more technical level (and also what kinds of discussions that would be curated with threaded vs linear), but I think we'd both be treading water with our defenses of which we prefer.

captainivy1 posted: »

Oh for fucks sake. That argument DOES NOT hold. I think I was pretty clear on that point. This way, it creates more clicking instead, so wha

• Just two small nitpicks to the new quotation system: images aren't quoted and the quote doesn't appear in the preview.

• I am not the web team so I'm not answering for them, but I think the bigger priority for them was just getting the improvements for quotes up in the first place. If images/videos are an issue, maybe they can decide to revisit it but I figured (and I imagine they did too) that just getting any form of an improved quoting system was better.

For what it's worth, in the mean time, you can manually quote any images if needed.

Just two small nitpicks to the new quotation system: images aren't quoted and the quote doesn't appear in the preview.

• I think it’s childish when you attack these comments with your own excuses when you are not required to make an input, is it not?

captainivy1 posted: »

Oh for fucks sake. That argument DOES NOT hold. I think I was pretty clear on that point. This way, it creates more clicking instead, so wha

edited October 2017

Uh, yeah, speaking of which - let's please not get argumentative over this guys.

I think it’s childish when you attack these comments with your own excuses when you are not required to make an input, is it not?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.