Site update discussion. NEW 11/30; Display first post on all pages + classic forum category layout

Comments

• I don't mean to break in here in your discussion, but you did the exact same thing, did you not?

As far as I can tell, both you and Captainivy1 spoke your opinions, but neither of you was required to make an input for that matter. You are never required to make an input, yet we always do if we have an argument we stand up for. I think we all have a right to voice our opinions, no?

Melton23 posted: »

I think it’s childish when you attack these comments with your own excuses when you are not required to make an input, is it not?

• Let's all get back on topic please. No offense but this isn't really worth derailing the thread over.

I don't mean to break in here in your discussion, but you did the exact same thing, did you not? As far as I can tell, both you and Capta

• I've said my piece. I am done.

Let's all get back on topic please. No offense but this isn't really worth derailing the thread over.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2017

https://telltale.com/community/categories/discussions

Ask and you shall receive :)

Yo @captainivy1 and @AronDracula check this out too while you are at it

[It's a classic display of the forum layout where you can see recent threads separated by forum category]

Now let me choose which ones I want to display.

• Fantastic edition.

https://telltale.com/community/categories/discussions Ask and you shall receive Yo @captainivy1 and @AronDracula check this out too w

• edited October 2017

Whoa. Now this, I like. Easy access to new things in each section all at my fingertips! (though I do understand how it could get cumbersome in the future when we have 6 new series to scroll through)

Also, this quotation system (while it's kinda obtrusive right now,) is a great addition. Now I know exactly what people were responding to, without having to go back and see which comment they responded to, to get the full picture.
    We still need some banner for the Telltale Talk section. It looks... empty. Maybe just the Telltale logo or something?

https://telltale.com/community/categories/discussions Ask and you shall receive Yo @captainivy1 and @AronDracula check this out too w

• The classic display is great! How would I navigate to it on the site, besides going to this topic, or making a bookmark/favorite of it?

• For now, there isn't such an option. I would add a stickied link, (outside of the Update Bulletin) but we already have four stickies.

WarpSpeed posted: »

The classic display is great! How would I navigate to it on the site, besides going to this topic, or making a bookmark/favorite of it?

• Jeez I haven’t been on here in about a week. I might be a little dramatic right now but this site update has kind of drove me away from the forums. I still keep up with telltale with thier twitter and stuff but still.

• Fantastic! Now only an easy way to access it, and the main posts showing up on all pages, and I'll learn to live with linear discussions. Thanks for the link :3

• I just wanted to quote. Happiness.

For now, there isn't such an option. I would add a stickied link, (outside of the Update Bulletin) but we already have four stickies.

• I didn’t respond with hostility while they did, that’s what I meant by you weren’t required to make an input, I just worded it wrong

I don't mean to break in here in your discussion, but you did the exact same thing, did you not? As far as I can tell, both you and Capta

• I hope we'll be able to set that new "old style" page as our default community home page and hopefully bold threads return (so it's easy to distinguish between read and unread threads).

• hopefully bold threads return (so it's easy to distinguish between read and unread threads).

I heard that was a deliberate design choice (we have the "New" badge to replace it), but I also heard that they could (possibly) look into adding it back.

Speaking of design changes, there is some other feedback that is also in the works to eventually be addressed (but I'm not sure how much or little I can say on that front). Not in regards to switching back to threaded, but in regards to the presentation/style of the site. More changes are still in the pipeline, and I really want to vouch that the web team is genuinely listening and doing a great job at getting fixes/improvements out there.

On another tangential note, some of these future updates might include even more features traditional forums have that Telltale had to disable to accommodate threaded comments (but again, I don't know how much or little I can say).

I hope we'll be able to set that new "old style" page as our default community home page and hopefully bold threads return (so it's easy to distinguish between read and unread threads).

• The lack of the "new" tag on actual new discussions, is a bit odd.

...in regards to the presentation/style of the site.

Something has to be going on with the site banner.

...might include even more features traditional forums have that Telltale had to disable to accommodate threaded comments

Po(mffgghhh)!

hopefully bold threads return (so it's easy to distinguish between read and unread threads). I heard that was a deliberate design ch

edited November 2017

The lack of the "new" tag on actual new discussions, is a bit odd.

Touche. I can suggest something to designate New threads if they don't use bold text.

Something has to be going on with the site banner.

Banner art was added for each game sub-forum (even the classics!) with the last update alongside the updated Quotes for replies. Beyond that, I dunno what all else they have planned, if anything, relating to the banner. ~Who knows~

Po(mffgghhh)!

...yeah, that's one potential example. ;)

Johro posted: »

The lack of the "new" tag on actual new discussions, is a bit odd. ...in regards to the presentation/style of the site. Someth

• Banner art was added for each game sub-forum (even the classics!) with the last update alongside the updated Quotes for replies.

Huh. Missed that. ...Uh oh. This means we're blacklisted. General Chat will hence forth be dubbed "The Black Forum".

The lack of the "new" tag on actual new discussions, is a bit odd. Touche. I can suggest something to designate New threads if they

• Just for funsies, I decided to go back in time to the early pages of the site. After going through numerous accounts' comments and threads they participated in, I eventually found a thread from when the old forums changed from linear to threaded.
    It was sad to read. Some people lost their friends because they had left, others were mad because of the change, there was lots of drama involving a staff member, a mod, and various users.. It was kinda similar to this update's riot. Only back then, with the change came the addition of subforums like "The Walking Dead" section and "The Wolf Among Us", and those apparently brought in a lot of "immature people". It must have been quite the sophisticated place back then.
    You guys must have had a bad time back then. Maybe worse than now. I'm sorry for you.
    But anyways, I'm rambling. My point is:

include even more features traditional forums have that Telltale had to disable to accommodate threaded comments

Did there used to be a poll system here? Some people mentioned it in the old threads.

hopefully bold threads return (so it's easy to distinguish between read and unread threads). I heard that was a deliberate design ch

• edited November 2017

Did there used to be a poll system here? Some people mentioned it in the old threads.

It was among the features that had to be disabled with the threaded format, yes.
    Not that it was regularly used with any meaning. It went through phases of use. Until Poll-master Ryan showed up.

AChicken posted: »

Just for funsies, I decided to go back in time to the early pages of the site. After going through numerous accounts' comments and threads t

• Once the search feature gets fully implemented, I think there should be options to either search by comment or thread name. I keep trying to find certain specific threads, but it only shows words from comments within other, unrelated threads.

• I think the images being not included is intentional, because things can get pretty cluttered pretty fast when a bunch of images are repeated in a thread in quotes.

Maybe a compromise might be to include the image's markdown description so that you'd at least know the image was being discussed?

Just two small nitpicks to the new quotation system: images aren't quoted and the quote doesn't appear in the preview.

• Maybe a compromise might be to include the image's markdown description so that you'd at least know the image was being discussed?

Most people (myself included) don't often fill those out so I don't think that would help, honestly.

Jennifer posted: »

I think the images being not included is intentional, because things can get pretty cluttered pretty fast when a bunch of images are repeate

• Maybe a compromise might be to include the image's markdown description so that you'd at least know the image was being discussed?

Maybe the URL if anything? It's not a huge deal. Either way, it's something people will get used to. Other forums don't quote images(actually making it a rule) and people get accustomed to either posting the URL, "picture", or enter their own description.

I think the images being not included is intentional, because things can get pretty cluttered pretty fast when a bunch of images are repeate

• edited November 2017

Maybe a compromise might be to include the image's markdown description so that you'd at least know the image was being discussed?

Sure, that'd be better than nothing, even though few people fill that in. The community could get used to do so overtime... maybe.

Another option would be a "Show Image" button to show/hide the image perhaps? Or maybe just having it send us to the image's URL link.

To add on these small nitpicks, quoted text will just show up as regular text in a reply quote. As if the person we're replying to wrote the text itself, when in the comment it's actually a quote of something else. These things just feel off aesthetically, but again, nothing major, just small things I noticed, nothing to fret over.

• Can I ask why I was once banned for “passively aggressively” complaining that I did not like the whole politics and religion rule, even though I only said I’m not a fan of it, but nearly every comment here is flaming telltale alive and not a single person has been banned yet?

• You can ask me via PM but we don't openly discuss moderation choices in public threads.

Melton23 posted: »

Can I ask why I was once banned for “passively aggressively” complaining that I did not like the whole politics and religion rule, even thou

• Can we expect anymore updates in the near future? I know the linear style is here to stay, and the automatic quotes actually make it tolerable, but the lack of main post is still pretty annoying.

• Yes, more updates are definitely coming, although I don't think that extends to seeing the main post after page 1.

Can we expect anymore updates in the near future? I know the linear style is here to stay, and the automatic quotes actually make it tolerable, but the lack of main post is still pretty annoying.

• May I ask why though? The main post already has a special place on page one, so is it really that hard to put it on top of the following pages as well? I'm genuinely curious here, is there a reason for this particular decision? Because to me, this seems like an arbitrary, pointless detail that only changes things for the worse.

I get that the linear style holds some advantages (how many, that is debatable), but the main post is crucial for some types of threads on here (such as waiting threads, news threads, fanfiction etc.) and not displaying it after page 1 holds literally no benefits for any kind of thread on here, particularly given that the direction you want to take the forum into, supporting in-depth discussion about one particular subject per thread is perfectly supported by such a main post feature. A couple pages ago, I brought up a few advantages this main post holds and thought my reasoning actually would be noticed, but now it seems the long comment I wrote has been wholly ignored or at least disregarded.

Personally, I consider the main post to be the most important feature that was cut and the one I hoped the most to see restored (mostly because it actually should be possible from a technical standpoint, given it is already displayed in a special fashion on page 1), so seeing this comment is seriously disheartening.

Yes, more updates are definitely coming, although I don't think that extends to seeing the main post after page 1.

• Quotes already make this forum a bit better but it's nowhere near as good as it was before the overhaul. Which brings me to another point, make long quotes to be shown entirely instead of having "read more" link.

edited November 2017

I should probably clarify that I meant "I don't think" as in, I'm not on the web team - I'm just a volunteer mod making an educated guess of what their priorities might be. I've been wrong before (such as saying they would not add the classic subforum layout, which they did add as a separate page later on).

That being said, typical linear forums only have post 1 on page 1 and discussion more so tends to be focused on what people are currently talking about. The old design of having the main post be on each page was meant to be similar to sites like Reddit (and maybe DeviantArt? I dunno, I don't visit there but I think I heard that example/comparison brought up by someone else...)

I imagine they could look into adding if enough people wanted it (I do agree it would help with certain kinds of threads such as waiting threads), but I think people should give it a chance first. As with the transition to linear, it's a change that people will have to base discussions around.

May I ask why though? The main post already has a special place on page one, so is it really that hard to put it on top of the following pag

• make long quotes to be shown entirely instead of having "read more" link

Why would you want that? I agree a few more lines should be shown before the "show more" link shows up, but I'm pretty content with it so far since some posts are really damn long.

Clord posted: »

Quotes already make this forum a bit better but it's nowhere near as good as it was before the overhaul. Which brings me to another point, make long quotes to be shown entirely instead of having "read more" link.

• Pardon me for saying this in a reply but alright. I’ve voiced my piece many times, but I’ll spare this thread.

I imagine they could look into adding if enough people wanted it (I do agree it would help with certain

I’m all for getting main post back.

I should probably clarify that I meant "I don't think" as in, I'm not on the web team - I'm just a volunteer mod making an educated guess of

• edited November 2017

Right, so I use the new classic layout pretty much every single time I visit this place (which has decreased quite a lot since the update might I add) - is there a possibility they could add a "default layout" option because I don't want to keep clicking on the bookmark to use the classic layout; I'm used to typing out "tel" which results in "telltale.com/community" to show up. Also, whenever I want to return to the "community" page, I usually click "community" at the top and it brings me back to the categories view (which I despise).

I agree with LiquidChicagoTed: the main post should be at the top of every page; especially useful for waiting threads.

Side note: I would still like to see new posts be bold because it simply makes it easier to navigate through the site.

• Well, in this case I can only hope you are wrong on this. It is good to hear that the information you received from the web team at least hasn't outright confirmed that main posts won't be coming back, which is what I have feared when reading your comment.

I know typical forums only have this main post on the first page, but that really isn't a good thing. I can't think of any possible topic that is improved by the lack of a main post, but plenty of thread types that severely suffer from this lack. Few topics go on for long enough for discussion to change to a different subject and those that do go on for longer benefit the most from such a main post, like the Megathread, waiting threads, general news threads, or a bit more on the light-hearted end of the forums, fanfiction and shipping threads.

When you say that people have to base their discussions around this, what will happen with current threads? Speaking for fanfiction threads here (though they are not the only ones as said above), those are extremely long-running threads that absolutely require a main post. They cannot suck it up and get used to it, because the lack of a main post is a severe drop in functionality for them, and for no reason on top of that. Again, what good does the lack of a main post bring? That's nonsensical, asking of people to get used to a missing feature, a serious downgrade of quality. This is already having entirely negative consequences. I get that things are more complicated with the linear style, which holds advantages and disadvantages, but with the main post, it really is that easy. Removing this feature has been pointless, it does not improve, it just decreases functionality, accessibility and structure for quite a number of threads.

And well, the way I see it, there are already plenty of people who are outspoken about their anger about the lack of such a main post. How many more have to speak up against this? Because I can easily, in a heartbeat, name you two dozen active users whom I know want it back and I cannot imagine anyone, not even those that appreciate the linear style, to actually be happy about the removal of the main post. If anything, those that are against the main post are a tiny minority and this I say with utmost certainty. How many vocal opinions does the web team need until they look into bringing back a feature that should be easy to implement, which adds and improves quality and functionality and restores something essential for several types of threads.

If you need another argument in favour of bringing back the main post, it's called reconciliation. Main posts have been a big part of the feel of the old forums. I get the web team wants to change the design of the site in general, but does it have to be so drastic that nothing of the old site remains? Does it have to happen on the back of several of your oldest and largest threads and the users that frequent these? As of now, the amount of features that have been kept from before the update is close to zero. Restoring at least this one feature (which, again, should be easy to do and entirely beneficial for the forums as a whole) would pacify quite several people who are outspoken against the update so far. I know it would be enough for me. I'm not asking for more than this one feature.

If a feature is beneficial, well-liked, easy to implement, working with the current style and improves the current looks of the forums, then I cannot thing of a single reason, not just good reason, but any kind of actual reason, to not bring it back. They removed like counters, realized their mistake and brought them back. They removed reply notifications, realized their mistake and brought them back. They removed the classic forum main page, realized that people still prefer it and offered at least a solution for them. They removed the main post and it is my utmost hope that they once more realize their mistake and either bring them back or offer an alternative solution to restore the function for those that want it.

I get that you are not part of the web team, I've been here for long enough to know that. However, you are part of the group of users that has the most direct connection to the web team. Whom else here could actually make them see what a massive inconvenience the removal of this feature is? If you could at least bring this up with them, inform them why main posts are necessary, that would already be a good thing.

While I am at this, because I do not demand, I actually try to find a solution for what is a severe problem me and several other users have to face, may I bring up something which you might carry to the web team? I imagine you are in notably closer contact with them than we are. So, here is the thing: How about making this feature an option when editing the main post of a thread? You know, like a little check-box, similar to those we had in the old design, where we could choose to follow a thread or mark our posts/threads as something containing spoilers. This check-box then could appear when a thread creator either creates or edit the main post and it could say something along the lines of "Show main post on following pages". That way, we'd have the best of both worlds. Those who create threads that require a main post can choose to display it, while those who do not need it can choose to keep things as they are right now. Like the classic forum listing has been brought back for those of us that prefer it, maybe this could be another optional feature, adding it for those that want and need it (and there are several threads who can be expected to be around for many years to come who would severely benefit from this), while not forcing those that don't want it. Could that be a solution you consider more realistic? And if possible, would you do us the favour of bringing this up with the web team? If they do not bring back the main post in full, maybe at least make it an option.

I should probably clarify that I meant "I don't think" as in, I'm not on the web team - I'm just a volunteer mod making an educated guess of

• edited November 2017

Beautiful comment. You've summarized this problem up really well, and offered a good solution/improvement to the situation as well.
    I would be ecstatic if the "main post across all pages" returns. A few of my threads -- and others that I look at -- do benefit from main posts. The forum has been improved quite a lot with inclusions of workarounds to this update (the reply quote system really helps with keeping track of conversations now), but this is the last thing that is truly missing from the forums.

Well, in this case I can only hope you are wrong on this. It is good to hear that the information you received from the web team at least ha

• edited November 2017

Here's something I noticed on the telltale.com/community/categories/discussions page: you have an options button next to each sub-forum's title, and in that menu there's a "Mute" option. That will hide said sub-forum from the page. It's apparently irreversible for now so maybe be cautious.

This means you can customize the page to only showcase the sub-forums you wish it to showcase. I find this a great addition.

Also, some in-site shortcut for the page would be appreciated.

• edited November 2017

I can reverse it for you. There's a url for the command.

https://telltale.com/community/category/follow?categoryid=20&value=0&tkey=dNkE036vJDwKdjl3
    Texas Hold'em Will Disappear

https://telltale.com/community/category/follow?categoryid=20&value=1&tkey=dNkE036vJDwKdjl3
    Texas Hold'em Will Reappear

Picked a dead forum in case someone accidentally hits it. Each subforum has it's own ID number.

Here's something I noticed on the telltale.com/community/categories/discussions page: you have an options button next to each sub-forum's ti

• The old linear forums did not have the first post repeated on every page. The only time I've seen the repeated post be a problem, though, was for the original Whatever's On Your Mind thread, where the first post expresses a craving for Taco Bell nachos, and that started to appear at the top of every page. When the first replacement for that thread appeared, the poster noted that he was definitely no longer craving Taco Bell nachos.

However, the current version of that thread has a helpful first post, with pointers to other threads that may sometimes be more appropriate, and a list of emoticons/emoji besides the ones available in the dropdown. That would be a nice post to continue to have at the top of every page.

As the new forums do a better job of positioning at new posts, I think it's a good idea to keep the top one on every page. It would normally scroll down so you wouldn't see it when you enter the thread each time, but if it's there, you can scroll up and see it more easily.

• edited November 2017

(Posted a comment on the Birthday thread, went to Dojo's wall, was going to post a HB there, and I get this message.)

"You have posted 1 times within 30 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 60 seconds before attempting to post again."

What's up with this? Only trying to wish a lovely mod a happy birthday!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.