What Are You Currently Watching?

Comments

• And the movie is going to be available on digital tomorrow! Can't wait to rewatch it and appreciate the incredible animation once again while trying to notice all the hidden details frame by frame. 😊

AChicken posted: »

Attention everyone! The opening 10 minutes of Across the Spider-Verse has been released. Rejoice and rewatch it again and again, it's so goooood

• Went to see The Last Voyage Of The Demeter yesterday.
    It was awesome.

• edited August 2023

Nimona is really super good. I Really love the message and metaphor behind the film. (Total trans/non-gender/sexuality-normative, or even just total outcast 'Us vs. Them' mentality. Hits hard, many times. :cry:) Holy cow. The animation is playful, expressive, zany, Nimona is WILD I love her so much, and the movie is is pretty dang funny and surprisingly heartbreaking. Wow.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heartbreak:

Not exactly a spoiler, it happens fairly early on, but
    "Can't you just be a girl? It would be better..."
    "Better for WHO?..." :/
    This line cuts so deep into the real question behind it, omg I love it.

• edited August 2023

I finished the one and only season of 'I Am Not Okay With This' on Netflix. Super easy, fun watch. 7 episodes 20 mins each.

Its a neat coming-of-age series about Syd, a meek, frustrated, grieving teen who is wrestling with budding feelings of romance for her best friend and discovering she might have dangerous superpowers (telekinesis)...

Sophia Lillis does a great job at encapsulating a lot of frustration, moments of joy, and a peppering of teen anxiety as she tries to keep as many plates spinning at once.

The ending is extremely shocking/satisfying-ish?

even if it pays off a few bloody teases before it, as she explodes the head of Brad in a bloody mess of embarrassment and anger. Oops.

This series was based on a graphic novel, and apparently the ending is different... The novel ends, but the show chose to change it into a cliffhanger for something else to unfold, and therein lies the problem...

This was an infamous YA show in the summer of 2020, as it was received very positively, ended on a cliffhanger, greenlit a season 2, then COVID lockdowns hit and Netflix refused to accomodate their budget or timing for filming and cancelled it.

I went into the show knowing it would have a disappointing cliffhanger, and yeah, that checks out 😞
    What's even worse is that according to the showrunner, they had planned a second and final season to resolve the story but it never came to be
    https://www.insider.com/i-am-not-okay-with-this-jonathan-entwistle-cancellation-netflix-2020-10

Apparently he wanted the ending recut after it was cancelled, since the cliffhanger no longer leads to anything, but they also refused that.
    Man, now it's just disappointing plot threads being set up for nothing. What the heck was that thing??

• So saw the first two episodes of Ahsoka...

I've read people being confused and lost. Not me! I've been following this character for 15 years, and I enjoyed it all. The casting was great (Peter Jacobson as a bureaucrat? perfect!), the visuals, especially at the end of the second episode were fantastic (it looked animated for a second, and not in a bad way), and the acting and plot was intriguing. After the sometimes-enjoyable, sometimes-what-the-hell fiasco that was Mandalorian Season 3, I'm glad we can still get good stuff.

• edited August 2023

I've read people being confused and lost.

To be fair, it is a direct sequel to an animated series that ended in 2018, which in itself was a follow-up to an animated series that was cancelled in 2014, so it's not super unexpected to hear people being confused.

But forget those people I love Ahsoka and Rebels is my favourite Star Wars series so WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So saw the first two episodes of Ahsoka... I've read people being confused and lost. Not me! I've been following this character for 15 ye

• Wow, looks like those clowns don't have encyclopedic knowledge of aforementioned series. What a bunch of clowns.

lupinb0y posted: »

I've read people being confused and lost. To be fair, it is a direct sequel to an animated series that ended in 2018, which in itsel

• Why call yourself a Star wars fan if you havent seen the 789 episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels like that episode with Padme and Jar Jar is absolutely necessary in order to understand that Jar Jar is the real Sith Lord pulling the strings i'm just laughing at those simpletons who haven't seen the pinnacle of storytelling this episode has to offer for the franchise,sad indeed.

Wow, looks like those clowns don't have encyclopedic knowledge of aforementioned series. What a bunch of clowns.

• Hey, the Jar Jar episode with General Grievous was pretty funny, probably the funniest use of the character in the entire franchise.

iFoRias posted: »

Why call yourself a Star wars fan if you havent seen the 789 episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels like that episode with Padme and Jar Jar is a

• Yesterday, I watched a movie called Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, and I think it might be one of the cutest movies I’ve seen all summer.

It’s an indie film about a guy who spends time with a little shell living in an empty house with his grandmother. The couple who lived in the house are gone, and there used to be a whole community of little shells, and part of the story is helping Marcel find the rest of his family through social media, which of course gets Marcel a lot of attention.

Marcel and the other shells are all animated through stop-motion, which I love, and it just has a wholesome and warm feeling to it by the end with its message on appreciating life and enjoying the little things. I’m glad I tried it.

• Just saw The Nun 2 today, including pouring cats and dogs outside.

• edited September 2023

Awww, my dad felt bad that half my vacation got delayed because he got sick in quebec, so to give me one more relaxing treat before going to work tomorrow, he took me to see the TMNT film. 😍

Anyway, after finally properly seeing the movie, I can safely say: This was the coolest new animation style I've seen since the original Spider-Verse film. 🤯🤯🤯

The movie looks like a sketchbook turned 3D.

Everything looks roughly drawn. Objects and people don't have clear "boundaries", as part of their design. Everything looks a little 'ugly', to put it in a nice way -- it serves the message of the film real well!

I usually hate it when people say "ohh this 3D thing almost looks 2D!" As if one style is inherently more impressive or better than the other...
    But man, this movie really does have moments that nearly look 2D, despite being 3D... like, they transcended their own style by how it was all drawn, that's cool.

The teens playing the Turtles were really fun. Maybe a liiiitle annoying sometimes during one of their many "talking over each other" gags, but it really helped sell their awkward vibe.
    They are also heavily, heavily Gen Z. (Them, and the script) Making lots of pop culture references and IRL references. Some might not like that, but I did. Gave them great hooks for frames of reference.

Also, my dad, who like never comments on anything artistic about animated films. (He enjoys them, but not usually for their artistry)
    Said it was a wild style, and how he liked how it sometimes looked 3D, sometimes 2D. He looked at it artistically! Woo!
    He also said that sometimes it would get very busy - I agree, especially sometimes in close-quarters fights, but most of the time it was great.

The lighting and reflection work in this movie is especially cool mixed with the sketch style.
    Everything looks roughly textured, when all of a sudden, WHOA, that pencil can reflect light?? or be affected by another pencil-styled light colour?? Damn cool!!

Go see it please, its very cool and deserves more hype than I've (not) been hearing...

The coolest scene had to be the fight-montage in the first third of the film, with all those animation/environment match cuts. OOH WOW.

• edited September 2023

So I watched the first two episodes of the Daryl Dixon sho-

Honestly, it's been pretty good so far. Legitimately some of the best Walking Dead in a while. It feels fresh but familiar and the bigger budget and location does it a great service. The cinematography is excellent, very minimal CG, the acting's been great so far, the characters in particular Isabelle have been exceptional, and Daryl gets to actually speak instead of grunt and groan for an entire episode. It's still got its... Walking Dead-isms, though much more toned down, Daryl popping up in France doesn't really make sense as of yet, and the plot does feel a little similar to another post-apocalyptic zombie show that premiered earlier this year, but I've been enjoying myself so far.

Could it shit itself? Yeah. Will it? I give it a good 40% chance, but right now it's been surprisingly great.

• Watched The Wishmaster franchise on Tubi and to be honest Wishmaster and Wishmaster 2 : Evil Never Dies are the best out of the two I also watched Stephen Kings IT 1990.

• edited October 2023

Went to see The Exorcist : Believer.

Edit : I was hoping it won’t be that ridiculous I was some moments in the movie I guess like however there were certain scenes in the movies that were bad character development.

It last uhh, maybe Thanksgiving won’t be a bad horror movie.

• Watched The Saw movies 1-7 on Tubi .

• edited October 2023

Season 1 of Daryl Dixon is over and they actually stuck the landing (for the most part)!

Overall the series is actually pretty damn good. Really great acting all around, with Clémence Poésy being the standout as Isabelle. Norman Reedus is fantastic as well in what is probably his best performance in the franchise, giving a lot of emotion and depth to the titular character who hasn't shown much in years. They also provide a fairly satisfying reason to why he's in such a predicament, or at least one that makes enough sense. The visuals, cinematography, and choreography are all around excellent. There are a couple issues, such as some Gimple-esque tropes, though thankfully nowhere near as prevalent as the main series, the finale does have some pacing issues, and the main villain is fairly weak. Feeling like a slightly more tyrannical version of the Governor of the Commonwealth.

Aside from that the show is pretty close to excellence. It has a nice balance of fresh and familiar, and does a great job of playing around with the new setting. I'm actually finding myself looking forward to the next season.

Who woulda thunk?

• Watched my Resident evil movie collection from Degeneration, Damnation, Vendetta and Death island.

If they do make a fifth film, it’ll probably take seven years or less from now.

• edited November 2023

I watched the FNAF movie. I came out of it thinking it was alright but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. I will say I think Josh Hutcherson is actually quite good as Mike in the movie. He does a great job acting really erratic and paranoid especially in the beginning when his mental illnesses are at their peak. Piper Rubio who plays Mike's sister Abby is also alright. The animatronics looked great, there's a couple decent kills in the movie, and it's definitely more violent than I was expecting.

IGN put out a review of the movie criticising it for having "too much plot" and while it's clumsily worded I really have to agree. There is just straight up too much plot, so much is going on in the movie that either gets dropped or ends in either an unsatisfying way, or nonsensically. The villain is shoehorned into the movie, there's some wild goofy ass shit that I almost kind of respect, whatever the hell was going on with Mikes dreams, and I don't even know what they were trying to do with the aunt storyline. It's messy and overcomplicated for what should be a really simple premise. Its biggest sin is that it doesn't even really play around with the premise of the original game.

The best parts of the movie are easily when the animatronics kill people, and these happen so few and far between that you might as well just look them up on YouTube, cause there really isn't much to enjoy outside of that and a couple funny moments.

• Saw Thanksgiving today it was awesome.

• edited November 2023

I finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, my long dreamt wish of an animated Scott Pilgrim adaption! Though I use that term loosely. The basic premise is still there, but there are some definite changes, some more drastic than others. Don't go in expecting an exact replica of the comics or even the movie, it is very much its own thing.

I think it's pretty great lol. I very much enjoyed watching the series and by the end I felt myself yearning for more. The whole cast returns as their respective characters and they a great job, especially Mae Whitman who I believe is the only seasoned voice actor in the series, it's very apparent the second she enters the fray and she's absolutely wonderful. The animation and action's great, very anime but not too difficult to keep track of what's going on. The music's great as well, with some new original songs for Sex-Bob-Omb that sound as garage band-ey as ever, and of course some more Envy Adams!

Humor-wise I'll admit is hit or miss depending on the episode, but the character stuff is great, much more reminiscent of the comics than the movie and everyones chemistry is really great. Certain characters get a lot more development than before which is always welcome. The pacing is also much slower, so don't come in expecting the movies over the top kinetic energy. Characters are allowed to breathe and take their time with things for the most part, though that doesn't mean it doesn't have its frenetic moments.

Overall I really enjoyed this series. It sets itself apart from both the comics and movie, bringing in a lot of fresh mixed in with the old, and ends in a way that feels very Scott Pilgrim. I hope the series ends up being successful because I'd love to see more, but I wouldn't be too mad if they decided to end it here. Also I'd suggest sticking around a little during the credits for some extra fun stuff!

TLDR;
    More Kim 10/10

• edited November 2023

I watched Netflix's new adult animated series, Blue Eye Samurai. It's absolutely fucking amazing, it's on the level of Arcane for me in terms of art, storytelling, and animated. It's beautifully dark, violent, and sad, though it's never without flickers of hope and heart. Mizu's (the main character) story is especially tragic and it's heartbreaking seeing her become so consumed by vengeance and you can only hope that she somehow claws her way out of the darkness, but it honestly feels like you cant blame her for her goals once you learn all the shit life flings at her. Thankfully it's not all doom and gloom as her apprentice Ringo, a man born without hands, brings some much needed levity to the series as well as some bits of humour sprinkled throughout the series.

The action is phenomenal and the brutality of the fights had me cringing more than a handful of times. It's incredibly bloody, and every episode has its fair share of guts and gore. The fights are really well choreographed, easy to follow, and they're not afraid to show the protagonists get messed up along the way. Though I will say that Mizu's plot armour does sometimes feel like it's running on maximum overdrive at certain points. There's also a number amount of nudity and sex scenes, and while they at times do get very explicit (don't watch it with family lmao), it never feels exploitive. They're there to either further the story or the characters in some way rather than titillate viewers. Voice acting's great as well for the most part. A lot of really raw performances, especially by Maya Erskine who voices Mizu.

I have a few issues. Like I mentioned, Mizu's plot armour is running at full power, and there's some wild shit that happens that does feel a bit silly. Some of the voice acting does feel a bit iffy, though nothing too distracting and the main cast overall does a solid job. Also there are a couple japanese covers of modern day songs, including For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica, that kind of took me out of it.

I love this show. It's a great example of what serious adult animation could be. It's beautiful, horrifying, tragic and heartfelt. It also helps that the fight scenes are fuckin' awesome. It's got a lot of substance and style. Episode 5 especially is a masterclass in storytelling. I hope to high heaven that this is successful because I am clamouring for a second season.

• Been watching some movies on Tubi mostly I’ll start off and say I’ve been watching
    I Spit on your grave
    I spit on your grave 2
    I spit on your grave 3 : Vengeance is mine

Including the original 1979 I spit on your grave and I spit on your grave déjà vu which a follow up to the original I’ve also watched the original The Hills have eyes and The Hills have eyes part 2 which were really great Wes Craven films. Despit the first remake of the original stayed true to the original except The Hills have eyes 2 which had nothing to do with part 2 and a different story .

• Got back into watching anime last year so here is my list of all the anime I've watched so far (it's long so forgive me):
    Cyberpunk Edgerunners (this got me back into watching anime again since 2012)
    Chainsaw Man
    Scissor Seven (Chinese anime)
    The Daily Life of the Immortal King(another Chinese anime)
    Toradora
    Kimi ni Todoke- From Me To You
    In Another World With My Smartphone
    Love Flops
    Tomo Chan is a Girl
    Rokudo's Bad Girls
    Sekko Boys
    The Misfit of Demon King Academy
    The Demon Sword Master Of Excalibur Academy
    Oreshura
    Blue Period
    God Troubles Me(Funny Chinses anime)
    Lookism( Korean anime)
    Komi Can't Communicate
    Romantic Killer
    High Score Girl
    Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop (movie)

Honestly I've gotten so hooked on watching anime that I haven't actually played a video game for 3 months, also because it keeps me entertained since I haven't watched it for so long before 2022, and it keeps me from gettin depressed. As another plus anime actually keeps me motivated to work out more and lose weight.

• I watched Chainsaw Man season 1 and caught up with the mango.

It's pretty good.

• edited December 2023

I watched season 3 of Hilda, and I don't think much needs to be said except that it is absolute

I'm going to miss Hilda and the gang and while I'd love to see them go on more adventures, I'm glad that her story got told in its entirety. Besides, you just know they're out there exploring and causing mischief, even if you don't get to see it.

Such is the life of an adventurer.

• I’m currently enjoying the show Vikings. Incredible show. Just wish it was more rated R instead of PG13 if you know what I mean ;)

A stark contrast coming from Rings of Power and even Game of Thrones. Wasn’t expecting you see this much action packed into all great episodes. Very good show I recommend to anyone

• edited December 2023

I watched Rebel Moon and I honestly found it to be very boring. It doesn't have a single unique bone in its body. Everything about it is either inspired by or taken from far better properties. Incredibly uninspired in nearly every aspect, from costuming, to the environments and architecture, and even a lot of the creature and alien designs. The movie is very clearly inspired by Star Wars, which isn't too surprising as Rebel Moon was actually a rejected pitch to Lucasfilm that Zack Snyder made in the mid-2000's. However, it very much feels like Snyder missed a lot of what people like about Star War, not only in terms of the writing and characters, but the worldbuilding.

Much of the planets and cultures in Rebel Moon feel too familiar and human. There are people dressed up in regular human clothing, the main antagonist of the movie straight up dresses in regular ass office wear with a white shirt and tie. Some of the cities are literally just European or Japanese village with barely any change in their architecture. The same thing can be said for the aliens and animals. Outside of a couple that I actually liked, most of them are extremely forgettable, and again too familiar. One of the alien races are just orcs, and one of the animals that are in the movie is just literally a griffin. Eagle head and all.

The characters are incredibly dry and devoid of charisma. It's not like I need these characters to be cracking jokes or anything, but goddamn there is nothing going for any of these people. They're all so wooden and monotone, and really don't go through any kind of meaningful development. Unfortunately, the main character Kora suffers from this as well, and it's especially bad as she probably has the most dialogue out of all the characters, because of how many monologues she gets that just go on and on. Also the main antagonist of the movie uses a wooden cane as his main weapon. Why even make your movie a sci fi space adventure if the best weapon you could possibly think of is a wooden stick? I could almost respect the gall if it weren't so fuckin' stupid. Also I have to give the movie shit for having the focus of two conflicts being sexual assault, back to back. What on Earth were they thinking doing that.

As for what I liked. The visuals and CG in the movie are actually pretty good. Nothing really stood out to me as being particularly bad. The action scenes are also well done for the most part, if a little awkwardly bloodless, which I assume will change with the planned... R rated director's cut. Also like I mentioned, a couple of the aliens actually have pretty cool designs. An insect looking one in particular I found to be really interesting, especially with the way it acts. Aside from that, there really isn't much else I can say that's positive about the movie. It's just so... drab. There's no personality. Despite everything I've said, it's not a terrible movie. It's just so blah. Rebel Moon serves up a cinematic nothing burger of a movie so dry, you'll be thirsting for a much better movie as soon as the credits roll.

• edited December 2023

Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, very good shows and also Titans which has interracial white male and black female relationships with cute couples

• Watched The Crow for the first time it was awesome.

Despite the the movie did held true to the lore of the graphic novel the only difference was how Eric and Shelly died instead of the apartment they died while Eric was fixing his car in stead of a home >! invasion.

most the gangs of T-Bird and there deaths

They did mail it when Eric visited Fun Boy which was with Sherri’s mom and the only diffrence was in the movie he killed Fun Boy instead of him warning T-Bird

Instead the Pawnshop over Gidison warned T-Bird instead of Fun Boy which Gidison got killed by T-Bird but Fun Boy was a post to die of >! morphine overdose including the cop in the movie was Detective Hook but was the cop Eric Draven spared.

Now it did had some scenes from the graphic novel of Eric storming into their crib through listening to the window despite including T-Birds >! death and he was apost to get his face caved in with a hammer instead gets impaled by a statue.

Over all the movie did follow the continuity of a graphic novel witch short creative liberties it was awesome.

• If you enjoyed Chainsaw Man, I highly recommend watching Jujitsu Kaisen. It came before Chainsaw Man and has a lot of similarities in terms of characters having special abilities and interesting backgrounds.

Now that I mention it I need to catch up on Chainsaw man but still need to finish Vikings 😆

lupinb0y posted: »

I watched Chainsaw Man season 1 and caught up with the mango. It's pretty good.

• Just finished up Vikings. Great show. The ending wasn’t what I wanted but it could’ve been worse. Gotta put it up there in my top 3 favorite shows of all time. Great series. Great characters. Great production.

• I had fun watching both Slumber Party Massacure 1 and 2 including Sleepaway camp.

• Just saw Sleepaway camp 2 : Unhappy campers for breakfest today to start off the new years .

• Interesting choice. Classic slasher in many respects.

Just saw Sleepaway camp 2 : Unhappy campers for breakfest today to start off the new years .

• edited January 1

Saw Sleepaway camp 3 : Teenange wasteland while having dinner.

• Went to see Night Swim.

• It was good?

Went to see Night Swim.

• edited January 10

Loved Re-animator and Bride of Re-Animator , Beyond Re-Animator was weak story for trilogy.

• edited February 23

Watched the first episode of Netflix’s The Last Airbender. I have mixed feelings on it but overall I thought it was alright. Here are some quick thoughts. There’s some things I really liked and some things I really didn’t. The main cast is alright so far, though nothing has blown me away as of yet. The actors for Gyatso and Iroh are PERFECT. Th choreography is actually solid, but much of these scenes take place at night and I sometimes found it difficult to make out what was going on. I do like that they immediately display how deadly bending can actually be, particularly in the first 5 minutes of the episode which had a surprisingly brutal death scene. I also enjoyed how powerful they made airbenders feel with one being able to handle ten firebenders… uh for the most part. Earthbending however felt really weak, like it takes a lot of effort and strain to do anything. It comes off looking incredibly inconvenient and sluggish.

There’s a couple changes that I really didn’t like but unfortunately they border on spoiler territory. While I like Gyatso’s characterisation, the events surrounding him leave a lot to be desired. The CG is a mixed bag as well. Some scenes look great, some don’t and unfortunately Appa is one of those things. He looks great up close but from far away he’s very clearly a big CG animal. Music’s great since it’s essentially a redux of the original so no complaints there. They really leave nothing to the imagination in terms of world building . Everything is explained in either excruciating exposition or just plainly shown to you. As for the gangs characterisations… they’re definitely more subdued. Elements of their original personalities are still there, but they do feel a little sanitised.

Will be watching the rest of the season. Hopefully the issues become less prevalent as the series progresses.

Spoilery complaints

Gyatso’s death is a massive downgrade. He dies fighting one dude. Like why. In the original series it’s very much implied he wiped out a couple dozen firebenders by himself. I don’t understand why they’d change this. It’d be a great way of the displaying the power of air bending and why the Fire Nation took them so seriously.
    Aang can just fly now I guess, but he forgets in the second half of the episode when he gets hit by Zuko’s fireball. He straight up flies like Zaheer from Korra but I assume that’s not coming back.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.