Here we go again: Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion (SPOILERs)

Comments

• I'm honestly kinda worried what will happen to Hollywood movies as they begin to pander more and more to the China market (because ofc they will), considering shit like Transformers has been proven to sell the best there :#

MasterStone posted: »

The movie had a world wide opening lower than transformers the last knight. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/27/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-bombs-with-148m-global-weekend/amp/

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited May 2018

I dunno about you guys, because I've been seeing some mixed stuff, but coming from someone who quite liked The Last Jedi, I thought Solo was...just a movie. Not good, not bad, just, a movie. Actually, I think it was more bad than good, but, still, just a movie. When I first heard the announcement of this movie, I had little excitement, I didn't need to see all of this origin, and with all the production stuff I had low expectations.

The pacing of the first act was just awful. Took me out of the movie, was very bad. The individual performances were great though! Donald Glover is great as Lando, and I thought everything they did with him in the film worked. Lando has always been a favorite of mine, and this film reinforced that. Alden Ehrenreich was better than I thought going in. Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson were also good. Dryden Vos was forgettable as a villain, although I think the awesome reveal at the end there made up for that. I'm a big fan of the Clone Wars and Rebels and I appreciate connections. Enfys Nest was also surprising good. I found the twist of their identity neat, and I have a theory on it, but it was really refreshing. I liked the connections made with the wider universe. However, some of the fan service (think the Corellia recruitment officer scene) was just, awful. I mean, why the hell would you put that in the movie? Other stuff, the more subtle things (a certain mask, the thermal denotator thing, namedrops of some bounty hunters) were far better. Chewbacca!

On the other hand, shockingly, I thought the action was mediocre. Besides the somewhat cool Mimban scene, I thought the train heist was meh, and the Kessel Run, yeah, there was some fun there, but it was ruined by the murkiness. The strobe lights in the Kessel mines were annoying and undermined. I was disappointed by it. If there was more clarity as to what was actually happening, like better lighting, I think it would be better. At least the movie was funny at times, like one of L3-37's comments about Lando that killed me, it helped pad it a bit.

So, just a movie.

• edited May 2018

I don’t think Rey is overpowered... can you give me a list please and I’ll try to explain them. Maybe.

AronDracula posted: »

After finding out about her real origins in TLJ, I couldn't give too much crap about this Rey girl. She is one of the worst SW characters ev

• Easy:

• She knows how to fly vehicles like Millennium Falcon, despite the fact that she spent all of her life in Jakku without ever flying out of that planet.
    • She easily defeated Kylo Ren who had more training and was supposed more powerful than her.
    • She just defeated Luke Skywalker, who is one of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy according to George Lucas.
    • She somehow survived the Praetorian attack, they had more training too.

It would have been more forgiving if she was related to a Jedi Knight, mostly to Obi-Wan, but nope, she is just strong because like Katheleen Kennedy said, women are better for the lead in the new Star Wars movies than men.

Melton23 posted: »

I don’t think Rey is overpowered... can you give me a list please and I’ll try to explain them. Maybe.

• Shes also somehow amazing with the force even though she has had almost no training

Easy: * She knows how to fly vehicles like Millennium Falcon, despite the fact that she spent all of her life in Jakku without ever fly

• edited May 2018

Don't forget her effortlessly lifting a tonne of boulders with zero effort and immunity to Kylo Ren's mind probe. Hell even yoda struggled to lift heavy objects it's not supposed to be easy especially without training. If it was that easy then every Jedi would be pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky:

In episode 9 we need some big reveal like her being a clone of the emperor which would somewhat explain her natural force abilities and why her parents didn't appear in the mirror cause she has no biological parents.

Easy: * She knows how to fly vehicles like Millennium Falcon, despite the fact that she spent all of her life in Jakku without ever fly

• Rey's a Chosen One, so... yeah.

Poogers555 posted: »

Shes also somehow amazing with the force even though she has had almost no training

• Ok.... I can’t explain the flying part, other than it was a natural talent. Same can be explained with anakin though, how can he be so legendary at flying ships if he’s only ever used pod racers?

She beat kylo cos he was wounded by chewbacca’s bolt caster, aka one of the most powerful and op rifles in all of Star Wars, he’s lucky he didn’t get knocked off his feet. Also when you watch the fight, you can tell kylo has the upper hand, only until Rey begins to focus and manages to gain the upper hand. I mean massive kudos to him for fighting as well as he did despite his wound, I’m surprised Rey didn’t get him sooner tbh.

To be fair she didn’t defeat Luke, Luke disarmed her first until she pulled out a lightsaber, which can cut through basically anything, so Luke couldn’t deflect that, the only other thing he could have done was used the force on her, but they were near the edge of a cliff so doing so would have knocked her down, and out stretching his arm could have resulting in... well losing it.

The only thing that I can’t exactly explain completely is the praetorian attack.

I hate Kathleen Kennedy’s SJW motivations as much as anybody, but if you try to ignore them during the film they’re hardly noticeable.

• edited May 2018

I hate Kathleen Kennedy’s SJW motivations as much as anybody, but if you try to ignore them during the film they’re hardly noticeable.

What?!?! It is clearly impossible to ignore the non-stop SJW moments in this new franchise. Like it is impossible! Non-stop! Like I was really really trying to watch The Last Jedi a lot! I was trying. It was hard to ignore the Rose character being Bad along with cringe Rose and Finn romance (like that was horrible to watch)not mention Finn's entire character development is now made into a joke after what happened from The Forece Awakens.

Rey is just powerful cause I guess she is a woman and Mary Sue(someone is great at everything without training and she just is).

Ok.... I can’t explain the flying part, other than it was a natural talent. Same can be explained with anakin though, how can he be so legen

• Well anakin seemed to be great at using the force (because of his high midiclorian count) without any explanation to why that was, and like I said before he was a good pilot for no apparent reason as well, but nobody is pointing him out to be a Gary stew. Also, I don’t see how Rose has anything to do with anything SJW like, she’s just a normal person a part of the main story who has nothing to do, just like Admiral Ackbar, boba Fett, Palpatine (pre-prequels) hell even mace windu to some extent, all of which are male, main/supporting characters and pointless, yet a single pointless female shows up and the internet loses its shit (I can’t believe I even just said that)

And there was no Rose and Finn romance, Rose legit lip raped Finn without his consent, you can see his lips retract showing that he wasn’t kissing her back. It’s a clear indicator that he isn’t into her.

strwar3 posted: »

• edited May 2018

Well I guess the movie’s a certified flop now.

I mean who didn’t see this coming?We just got a Star Wars game 5 months ago!

• Anakin actually trained from when he was a kid... He got beat by Dooku in episode 2 as well. Like if Anakin hadn't trained for years he wouldn't of reached his full potential. Plus there were hints that Sidious and his Master created Anakin through the force but an answer was never given on this.

Well anakin seemed to be great at using the force (because of his high midiclorian count) without any explanation to why that was, and like

• Anakin was created by Sidious as the ultimate force user, but he still had to train for decades and he still got his ass handed to him by both Dooku and Obi-Wan. Rey beats everybody without any effort in one go. No challenge to overcome, no trial to complete. She can immediately lift 100 fucking rocks without barely any effort, whereas it took Luke days to lift a single one. She's a master duelist even though she has zero real training with a damn lightsaber. She's a top notch pilot, she flies the Millenium Falcon better than goddamn Han Solo even though she has never flied before. She has no flaws, no weaknesses, no faults. She's boring as a rock. Her character is nothing but StrongIndpendentWhamen who kicks everyone's ass.

Star Wars is dead.

Well anakin seemed to be great at using the force (because of his high midiclorian count) without any explanation to why that was, and like

• To be fair though, Dooku, a master duelist would obviously win compared to a wounded conflicted Jedi-sith guy. And anakin didn’t fly, he only piloted pod racers. If he could fly regular ships he could have easily taken his mother with him and left slavery all together. And nothing at all hinted about Sidious conceiving him from the force, there was only “there was no father” and because of how strong he was in the force people either assumed that the force conceived him or other shitty theories that make no sense.

Anakin actually trained from when he was a kid... He got beat by Dooku in episode 2 as well. Like if Anakin hadn't trained for years he woul

• Seriously though, where is everyone getting this “Sidious is his dad” bs from? No he’s not ? pls don’t tell me you also think Snoke is plageious because they’re not even the same species. He was obviously beaten by Dooku because he was brash, still a Padawan, and Dooku was THE most skilled duelist in the Jedi order before he left as stated in both canon and legends, and obi-wan only beat him cos he used the environment to his advantage while anakin wasn’t paying attention to that.

Andsince when did it take Luke days to lift a few rocks? I’ve watched the damn movie countless times and he does it instantly, only very slowly, which doesn’t mean he can’t do it. I HATE using SJW excuses but no matter what disney’s Incentive was, you do know women can be quick learners too, right? We literally had soooooo many powerful men in Star Wars, people say it benefited the story, it doesn’t, gender doesn’t benefit stories in any way, so if you’re looking at Rey like a female and an SJW excuse instead of a person who is capable of learning within a short period of time, then you’re pretty much exactly like Disney “separating characters in terms of gender” instead of being like normal people and seeing them as... people. No gender, so sexuality, no race, just characters.

If you read my comment above then you’d know why she isn’t an expert duelist and only got lucky in the situation she was in, not going to repeat it you can find it yourself. She also doesn’t fly better than Han, the new solo movie proves this, she only knows technology better than Han, which is common for someone who, well, LIVES ON A DESSERT PLANET AND SCAVENGES FROM DOWNED STAR FREIGHTERS FOR A LIVING. Obviously ?

Obviously, there really is no getting through to “fans??” tbh. Because they don’t listen and just like Disney, they try to force their ideologies down other people’s throats without actually listening to the points people are trying to me. You guys and Disney are more alike than you think btw. (Full disclosure, I’m not trying to sound like an asshole, I’m only speaking the truth, whether you can handle that truth or not.)

DanteTimes2 posted: »

Anakin was created by Sidious as the ultimate force user, but he still had to train for decades and he still got his ass handed to him by bo

• Ok I think your just trolling lol.

Seriously though, where is everyone getting this “Sidious is his dad” bs from? No he’s not ? pls don’t tell me you also think Snoke is plage

• I'm afraid he's not.

Ok I think your just trolling lol.

• I am bemused that there are some people who want Lucas back. He gets blasted by the vocal minority for ruining Star Wars with the prequels and now that same or next generation of the vocal minority think the sequels are doing the same thing all is forgiven.

...God it's nice when you just enjoy Star Wars movies for what they are and don't care about much else. Much less stressful. B)

...oh and Rey is Qi'ra and Maul's daughter, just for the record. :p

• And there’s my point, when compelling evidence is presented haters instantly dismiss it without listening to any reason whatsoever instead of understanding that it’s a movie, not an English literature class novel where it needs to be analysed in extreme detail through every frame.

Ok I think your just trolling lol.

• Just got back from the theater. People are way too hard on this movie. I went in with bad expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It's a fun movie guys.

• If your best arguments for why Rey can defeat much more powerful people while also having zero training and experience and basically being perfect at everything are "She got lucky" and "She know stuff", I see no reason why to waste my time disputing someone who clearly has no idea how character development works. You can call me a bigot or a sexist or a racist or a Russian hacker or whatever is Disney's latest reason for why people don't like this movie but the the earnings and reviews speak for themselves. It's only a matter of time until even the most hardcore apologists admit just how awful these new abominations are.

Seriously though, where is everyone getting this “Sidious is his dad” bs from? No he’s not ? pls don’t tell me you also think Snoke is plage

• See now that's why people think you're a troll.

• No, I just suffer from insanity, thanks for noticing. I’m too shy to buy a fucken therapist, you feel good now?

See now that's why people think you're a troll.

• U ok?

No, I just suffer from insanity, thanks for noticing. I’m too shy to buy a fucken therapist, you feel good now?

• Just gonna leave this here :kennysad:

• Yes... this proved my point ?

Poogers555 posted: »

Just gonna leave this here :kennysad:

• ....no ???

strwar3 posted: »

U ok?

• :kennysad2:

Yes... this proved my point ?

• To be completely fair, a lot of people didn't care for Anakin - not only from his odd role in the script as Jedi Jesus and a few lines of poorly written and/or delivered dialogue, but also a few of his feats which were wand-waved as due to high midiclorian counts. Enough people were so displeased by Anakin that future mentions of midiclorians were entirely scrapped, and Jake Loyd/Hayden Christiansen suffered in their careers.

Comparably, Rey would be considered a Mary Sue styled character. Anakin was too old to begin the training, but he still received training for years. Luke also received training in the swamp, although the amount of time he spent there isn't directly addressed, there was a clear passage of time. Rey didn't receive the same amount of character development, therefore her achievements appear to many others as unearned. It honestly wouldn't matter if Rey were a young man instead of a young woman.

• As for Solo - A Star Wars Story, I wouldn't recommend wasting money to see it in theaters. It's not completely terrible, but it isn't good either. I wanted to give it a chance, and I do mean that earnestly just to see if maybe Star Wars might be able to do additional movies with some of the older characters I enjoy. I sort of wish I'd waited and picked it up from Red Box instead, and I have no immediate plans to add it to my DvD collection.

• You sure you're not just trying to deflect the fact that your arguments are shit by playing the v-card?

No, I just suffer from insanity, thanks for noticing. I’m too shy to buy a fucken therapist, you feel good now?

• Go to bed

You sure you're not just trying to deflect the fact that your arguments are shit by playing the v-card?

• Despite SOLO being a flop a sequel has been announced:
    Link

Go to bed

• Boi since when did I say I like solo?

Despite SOLO being a flop a sequel has been announced: Link

• It's written all over your face with that grin. You look like someone who would like SOLO

Boi since when did I say I like solo?

• edited May 2018

Ayyyy fammmm what grin? ?????? I did say further up that I thought it was average

It's written all over your face with that grin. You look like someone who would like SOLO

• Ahhhhh Fuck's sakes! Come on Disney!!! Damn Them! Damn Them To Hell!

• FFS when are they going to give it up? Han must be rolling in his grave...

• I was joking btw guys (in case you didn't click the link haha) @strwar3

FFS when are they going to give it up? Han must be rolling in his grave...

• Spotted this and it made me laugh, what could have been if George Lucas remained as head of Lucasfilm and hired directors to handle the vision:

Sign in to comment in this discussion.