TWD The Final Season Ep 1 Waiting Thread - Releases Aug 14th, Switch EU Aug 28th

Comments

• If they are, they better be 1+ hours long on speedruns.

How the f*ck is 4 Episodes going to conclude Clementine’s story?! If this is true, each Episode needs to be around 3 hours long. Which I doubt they will.

• 4 Episodes with a DLC. :#

• There will be a huge amount of hate and backlash if they do just about anything.

There will be a huge amount of hate and backlash if they make only 4 Episodes.

• Good my misery will end sooner

That's the spirit!

Anyway, who’s hyped for The Last of Us Part II???

I've never played the Last of Us 1 myself, but I hope it turns out really good! :smiley:

4 episodes Good my misery will end sooner Anyway, who’s hyped for The Last of Us Part II???

• It's probably more normal than you think.

Why do people here like being shafted. I have literally never seen this behavior anywhere else. It’s truly fascinating.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2018

If Pete Hawley's interviews and hints, the leaked PAX footage, and the Wolf 2 delay are any indication, perhaps Telltale is finally starting to make each game not only have actual gameplay but also a more unique presentation/gameplay style that is genuinely tailored to each franchise.

Meaning, yeah, we may get fewer episodes but perhaps episodes that are much more ambitious on a level that Season 1 was compared to previous Telltale games at the time. Perhaps there's a good reason for this (if it's legit) that we could stand to have contextualized for us.

We've had hints that, under Hawley, Telltale episodes/series/etc are going to be more different and unique compared to previous leadership. So, I'm open to hearing the actual and full context first.

Because Season 1 managed to have 2-3 hour long episodes and STILL be 5 episodes long, why should we accept any less?

• Telltale can tell the story they want. I wouldn't want them to have extra unnecessary padding for the sake of having 5 episodes.

Depends on what you count as padding.

AChicken posted: »

Guys... Hear me out on this: What if each of the 4 episodes were of a Season 1 level length? 2-3 HOURS each Telltale can tell the story

• Cosmic_BoyCosmic_Boy Banned
    edited June 2018

If this turns out to be true, this’ll be a huge yet subtle FUCK YOU to everyone??????‍♂️

edited June 2018

I'm being a broken record at this point but maybe we should wait for the full context; maybe there's more of a justification than we are aware of. Instead of assuming that episodes will be entirely the same as Season 1-3 episodes, perhaps episodes are different enough to warrant a four episode season.

Cosmic_Boy posted: »

If this turns out to be true, this’ll be a huge yet subtle “FUCK YOU” to everyone??????‍♂️

• You didn’t see “If” infront of all that?

I'm being a broken record at this point but maybe we should wait for the full context; maybe there's more of a justification than we are awa

edited June 2018

I did, but the phrasing

If this turns out to be true

implies that there is no further explanation/context and that the (very limited) amount of information in the Original Poster's linked tweet is literally all there is to it, with absolutely nothing more to say.

AKA, perhaps the information in the OP could be true but perhaps there is also additional information not mentioned that we don't know yet.

You didn’t see “If” infront of all that?

• A New Frontier had so much nothingness in it. It's especially visible in Thicker Than Water. About 60 minutes of getting a vehicle and guns which are never used for their original purpose.

Yeah, that bothers the fock outta me, too! And I actually kinda like that episode.

If the Season is 4 episodes long rather than the usual 5, hopefully the price tag will similarly be lower than the usual 25€. A lower price

• I was talking about the possibility of there only being 4 episodes.

I did, but the phrasing If this turns out to be true implies that there is no further explanation/context and that the (very l

• Season 1 had a clear story, direction, and episodic structure. It had stand-alone episodes in the tales of survival.
    Episode 1 was getting your bearings. Episode 2 was largely stand-alone apart from the ending - it was the Dairy Farm Episode. Episode 3 started the road trip, and you met new people. Episode 4 was trying to find a safe place. Episode 5 had you trying to save Clementine.

I get it. Deep down I'm really weary too. It's just that since ANF occurred, Telltale has really gotten back on their game. And I highly doubt they'd try to screw up their final season of their most beloved franchise/character, especially after the fiasco of the previous one.

I'd gladly take 5 episodes over 4. But (if this is real) this is the first time Telltale is tweaking their original formula by giving us less, (with none of that misleading "split one episode into two" stuff) and that should be a sign of a story that has the intent to be memorable, rather than provide financial gain.

Because Season 1 managed to have 2-3 hour long episodes and STILL be 5 episodes long, why should we accept any less?

• Yes, I know, and I was saying there might be a really good reason for there only being four episodes.

As an extremely exaggerated and unrealistic example to set the tone of what I am getting at, would you rather have:

• 5 one-hour episodes of New Frontier where you only select dialogue, have super small hubs, and have QTEs as the only gameplay
      ...or...

• 4 six-hour long episodes that not only had dialogue selection but also actual gameplay and open world hubs like something you would see from a retail title like The Last of Us

Of course, I'm not insinuating the changes will be to that big of a degree, but I'm getting at something similar to that in concept.

I was talking about the possibility of there only being 4 episodes.

• 5 one-hour episodes of New Frontier where you only select dialogue, have super small hubs, and have QTEs as the only gameplay

4 six-hour long episodes that not only had dialogue selection but also actual gameplay and open world hubs like something you would see from a retail title like The Last of Us

C. Neither of the above

Yes, I know, and I was saying there might be a really good reason for there only being four episodes. As an extremely exaggerated and unr

• edited June 2018

Guys Telltale has stated multiple times throughout the past year that there will be major changes in their approach to game development. We know nothing of the price, game length or even how they have expanded the gameplay to a lesser extent, and you guys are already priming your pitchforks based on the one detail that Telltale thought 4 episodes would suffice? Am I the only one who thinks that's kinda ridiculous? Let's just wait for more info on the season before we jump to these judgements, okay?

• edited June 2018

Seems like the biggest thing people are pulling from this is the 4 episodes deal. I mean we really have to wait and see how this will work out (if it’s true at all). But if they’re going to charge the same price all of the episodes they should be two hours or more. That being said this could also be signifying that their will be some sort of bonus/dlc episode OR (and I hope this is the case) TFS will be very good with choices and have multiple branching paths. Telltale should brace themselves for fan backlash though because even if this 4 episodes thing does work out, fans are still gonna be mad before the game comes out anyway. Also an August 14th release date would be fucking awesome and, coming from a switch owner, I love how they may support the switch and I will probably buy the game a second time if it’s good.

• Damn, I can’t decide? That’s a really tough choice that I can’t make im joking, don’t take any of this serious

Yes, I know, and I was saying there might be a really good reason for there only being four episodes. As an extremely exaggerated and unr

• Let’s just wait

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Guys Telltale has stated multiple times throughout the past year that there will be major changes in their approach to game development. We

• edited June 2018

You say Telltale "has really gotten back on their game" since ANF. Other than taking their word for it, what concrete evidence do you have that suggest this to be case? We are justified in being skeptical.

AChicken posted: »

Season 1 had a clear story, direction, and episodic structure. It had stand-alone episodes in the tales of survival. Episode 1 was getting

• edited June 2018

I mean with the other series.

GOTG had some real good branching, a lot more than usual.
    MCSM featured a lot of cosmetic choices and a new type of gameplay (building)
    Batman had a really good story (IMO it knocked S1 out of the water) and a huge branch for the final episode -- essentially resulting in two episodes in one.

They've improved since ANF. The only series that's had a hard time is TWD.
    I'm not saying you aren't justified, you can have your own opinion on this, I'm just trying to reassure folks that there've been good things going on with Telltale since the last season. If they can deliver on this season, then they should be back on track with the fans.

Let's just wait and see what they plan to do with these 4 episodes [or even if this article is correct] before people start claiming they won't buy it.
    Losing one episode is hardly a valid reason to boycott a season. I'm sure they've got their reason for it, probably in how the story is presented.
    Remember: Telltale's trying to focus on quality, not quantity. It might be shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be memorable.

Pahn711 posted: »

You say Telltale "has really gotten back on their game" since ANF. Other than taking their word for it, what concrete evidence do you have that suggest this to be case? We are justified in being skeptical.

• I, for one, welcome non-sarcastically our new 4-episode overlords.

• So if I’m reading this right the pre order includes the michonne spin off but not a new frontier.

Maybe this means characters from the spin off are returning.

I also came across this same story from a Russian website. And before you ask...... I wasn't looking through Russian websites A link was sh

• I don't know about that. IIRC, the ANF pre-order had TWD S1, 2, and Michonne. Doesn't really say much about the full game..

Umbassabro posted: »

So if I’m reading this right the pre order includes the michonne spin off but not a new frontier. Maybe this means characters from the spin off are returning.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited June 2018

I know this isn't an official source but if it's true then i don't see a big problem with 4 episodes as long as they have good content and are a decent length, i would much rather see Telltale have less episodes if they feel it's necessary rather than have something like ANF's "it's so big we had to split it in two" thing again.

Looking at the German article in the OP it mentions "shoulder-gripping camera" (freelook camera?) and "unscripted fight" which seems interesting, it looks like Telltale are going to have more player action like we saw in the leaked PAX video rather then the fully scripted fights we normally see which could work well in TWD and all future games.

• I'm just going to pretend that this discussion wasn't made at all.

• edited June 2018

I honestly don't see what the big deal with only four episodes is. If the price for the whole season wasn't properly adjusted or the length of the episodes were barely over an hour again, then that would be something to be angry about. But right now I just don't see a reason to bring out the pitchforks already.

• How the hell are they going to fit multiple returning characters like Javier and his family, other known Richmond characters, Joan or Clint and lastly notable characters like Christa or maybe Lilly. They have only 4 Episodes, this looks bad for returning characters.

• edited June 2018

I am fairly new to Telltale games (played all Walking Deads and Batman's) but I have complete trust in the team.

If you played Batman Season 2, you would understand why. If you did play season 2 and still have questions, then I don't know what to tell you. I know it's two completely different games with different stories, but it was fantastic.

I know people have trust issues after ANF, but this is their golden goose, they're going to put their best foot forward. I personally liked ANF, it's clearly not as good as S1 or 2 of TWD, but its a good story.

If it is true and it does only have 4 episodes, I am fine with it. Because I trust the new leadership.

• ?
    ??
    ???

How the hell are they going to fit multiple returning characters like Javier and his family, other known Richmond characters, Joan or Clint

• edited June 2018

At the end of ANF, Javier and Clementine discuss her finding AJ and bringing him back to Richmond. In that context, I predict that Javier and his family will just serve as a player-familiar group of people for Clementine/AJ to end up with at the end of the new season. So a small cameo for them makes sense to me.

I agree that 4 episodes do not look good for the prospects of a returning character from Season 1. Christa, who I would bet my money on being the returning character (considering she has the most developed relationship with Clementine) will have a tougher time having an impact like Kenny did in Season 2.

How the hell are they going to fit multiple returning characters like Javier and his family, other known Richmond characters, Joan or Clint

• Yeah, I think everyone should just calm down a little and wait a couple of days to see if any of this is legit and get more information and context. I believe we've gotten a hint that Telltale would be revealing something about TFS this week in another thread, haven't we? That might line up with the thing about pre-orders going up on the 8th, though that could also be a lucky guess, maybe.
    Would I be surprised if this retailer leak is true? Not really, since by this point I'm not sure there are that many surprises left for E3, due to all the leaks. Telltale not seeming to comment on it, I think, might not help, which might mean it's either fake af so they won't bother with it or it's legit. Alternatively, though by this point it'd be a really big stretch, they could also be unaware of it, but I honestly really, really doubt that.

As for the 4 episodes thing, I wouldn't mind all that much if they're long episodes (minimum 2 hours, ~ 3hours - 3h30 max), since at that minimum it'd still be a little longer than S2 and especially longer than ANF. Or if there is a lot of variations due to choices made. If it's 1h to 1h30 on top of choices not really mattering though, well fuck that.

• And what do we have now to contextualize? Anything.
    As Blind said, let's hope for the official announcement rather than relying on dubious sources.

we should probably wait for the official announcement to contextualize things. What is there to contextualise? I don't want to hear another "episode 1 was too big!!!".

• edited June 2018

I do not think we'll have characters coming back, the plot will probably be totally focused on AJ's protection. At least for me, returning characters at this point in the league would be bad business.

• Just searched The Walking Dead The Final Season and an article appeared just under an hour ago that says the same thing as the other articles

As this is the final season, Telltale is looking to really go all out with this one. The developer is promising many new features for players to enjoy as the sign-off to Clementine’s adventure. Included in the fourth season will be an over-the-shoulder camera perspective, unscripted combat (unknown if it will completely replace QTE combat), and some stellar, much needed improvements to the graphics with an amazing Graphic Black art style. The game will also be playable in a 4K resolution for compatible devices, so those with high-end PCs, an Xbox One X, or a PlayStation 4 Pro will be able to enjoy the finest quality graphics for the final chapter of the series.

The final season for Telltale’s The Walking Dead starts on August 14. Pre-orders for the game, however, are just around the corner, and will start on June 8. The pre-order will run buyers $19.99, and those who pre-order the title will receive access to the entire season’s episodes as they become available. In addition, those who pre-order on the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One will receive The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Collection for no additional cost.  The collection comes with season 1-3, the Michonne and 400 Days DLC, as well as improved graphics for all games included in the bundle.

Here is a link to the article: https://games.mxdwn.com/news/the-walking-dead-games-final-season-releases-in-august/

Please do not take this as factual information as despite the article being oddly specific it isn't coming directly from Telltale, the Creators. Anyways enjoy the read and have a fantastic day!

• edited June 2018

I just recently found another article that was published an hour ago. It claims that players will receive the entirety of The Walking Dead Collection at no extra cost. But please keep in mind that while the article is detailed and unusually specific it could be the publishers just looking for a popular story to publish and attract people into clicking.
    https://games.mxdwn.com/news/the-walking-dead-games-final-season-releases-in-august/

Umbassabro posted: »

So if I’m reading this right the pre order includes the michonne spin off but not a new frontier. Maybe this means characters from the spin off are returning.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited June 2018
  • God bless you

OzzyUK posted: »

A new IGN article got tweeted with a teaser trailer http://ign.com/videos/2018/06/06/telltales-walking-dead-the-final-season-first-trailer-the-last-bullet

• Can't wait for this new season!!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.