TWD The Final Season Ep 1 Waiting Thread - Releases Aug 14th, Switch EU Aug 28th

Comments

• I agree with you. The episode length better be quite like 2.5-3 hours an episode to justify this only being 4 episodes. The fans deserve to have some insight provided for all the returning characters you & many others [myself included] have mentioned.

How the hell are they going to fit multiple returning characters like Javier and his family, other known Richmond characters, Joan or Clint

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Before big news releases Telltale send out press kits to different websites so they can publish the same news as Telltale but in different languages or to just publish on their own website.

Telltale normally set an embargo for this but the news site that posted it first likely posted it too early by accident which then got shared around.

Since it has now been confirmed the article is real, why hasn't more questions been made about the identity of the poster? Does Telltale have an office in Germany now? How was this information first learned by this Dmitry and is he leaker?

• Just putting out there that I also enjoyed ANF. I'm one of the few that haven't played GOTG, MCSC, or even Batman. TWD, TWAU, TFTB , GoT, & JP only--and yes..in that order. Still enjoyed JP despite all the bugs.

gta3demon posted: »

I am fairly new to Telltale games (played all Walking Deads and Batman's) but I have complete trust in the team. If you played Batman Sea

• A 3h30 max per each episode would actually be pretty narley of Telltale to do.

MichaelBP posted: »

Yeah, I think everyone should just calm down a little and wait a couple of days to see if any of this is legit and get more information and

• How is addressing loose ends in the form of returning characters bad for business when AJ himself is a callback to S2? Just think on how asinine that line of thinking is.

Firefox1972 posted: »

I do not think we'll have characters coming back, the plot will probably be totally focused on AJ's protection. At least for me, returning characters at this point in the league would be bad business.

• Why & how was this information given to unpopular gaming sites first? o_O

I just recently found another article that was published an hour ago. It claims that players will receive the entirety of The Walking Dead C

• None of us can, mate! If I worked at Telltale I probably would've asked to get put on a different project. LOL..I imagine some fans of the game & show perhaps have before.

MiloMustard posted: »

Can't wait for this new season!!

• edited June 2018

Even though I'm personally not a fan of this 4 episode announcement, I'm still reserving judgement for when it's released. The quality and story content is truly all that matters to me.

As much as I hate to admit it, this new format WILL work. I won't namedrop but I've played a popular episodic game with a 3 episode prequel season (which included a bonus 4th episode) that was pretty amazing. I know who they're taking notes from, the new engine pretty much eludes to whom it is and I expect a great game regardless! Glad to see them shake things up especially knowing the story configurator is returning.

Graysonn posted: »

There isn't really any good reason to reduce what has been the norm for the series since 2012 and I find the argument of there needing to be

• Got it, thank you for explaining that to me OzzyUK!

OzzyUK posted: »

Before big news releases Telltale send out press kits to different websites so they can publish the same news as Telltale but in different l

• Cosmic_BoyCosmic_Boy Banned
    edited June 2018

I'm not entirely sure how credible this is, but it says Clementine will be 17 by the end of the game. She was 8 when the apocalypse began, so that means she's spent 53% of her life fighting zombies. Wow.

• edited June 2018

LOL. Even the competitor that inspired their new engine created a S2 prequel series that sported 3H episodes across just 3 episodes. The only episode to cap an hour was the bonus DLC 4th episode. Regardless, their 3 episode season still pulled in 10 hours across the main story [on plays where you take your time] and 11 including the extra content.

That alone put it on equal grounds with TT's most recent entry, Batman: The Enemy Within which falls between 9½ Hours - 10½ Hours for completion time.

Quit being so facetiously pessimistic.

Tewudin posted: »

It amuses me that some people believe that with only 4 episodes, Telltale will return to the length of 2-3 hours per episode from Season 1.

• I've been there too, but now I'm a hopeful "warm-bodied" walker. :smiley:

I had that believe a loooooong time ago I think it was back in season 2. It was even present during the production of ANF but now... well, now it's gone. To put it more into context, my believe was bitten and turned into a walker.

• Like I said, B: TEW took me only 8 hours to complete so I've no idea where did you get 10 hours of completing whole season, man. Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor? :open_mouth:

LOL. Even the competitor that inspired their new engine created a S2 prequel series that sported 3H episodes across just 3 episodes. The onl

• Quit being so facetiously pessimistic.

Hopefully the quality of Season 4 as it releases will result in this community becoming more upbeat

LOL. Even the competitor that inspired their new engine created a S2 prequel series that sported 3H episodes across just 3 episodes. The onl

• Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor?

Life is Strange (h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶r̶u̶d̶g̶i̶n̶g̶l̶y̶)

Like I said, B: TEW took me only 8 hours to complete so I've no idea where did you get 10 hours of completing whole season, man. Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor?

• edited June 2018

Apparently shorter run times of episodes as time goes by. Equals 4 must totally mean LONGER episodes to some people. Pointless optimism aside there is ZERO reason to think TTG is going to increase runtime because there is less episodes based on anything that has happened in recent years.

You could sure speculate on price increases or total season price staying the same although lesser episodes though.

Wait, Batman S2 was 10 hours? They released 2 more episodes?

Like I said, B: TEW took me only 8 hours to complete so I've no idea where did you get 10 hours of completing whole season, man. Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor?

• Before the Storm was 3 episodes because its a prequel with huge limitations on what they could do to make the story as interesting. Due to so much about the protagonist already being established in the original game. Also wasn't made by the same people.

Building up to 5 climaxes in that story just doesn't seem like it would be so easy to do. An actual LIS2 was announced over a year ago now. If they keep the episodic format I would be really surprised if its not at least 5 episodes. Perhaps release all at once but I think the hype train of episodic is of value as well....

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor? Life is Strange (h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶r̶u̶d̶g̶i̶n̶g̶l̶y̶)

• My judgements (based off this trailer) are saying that this game will begin with Clem being 16 and AJ being 5, so this game may take place over the spanse of a WHOLE year...

Not sure whether to be excited or worried.

Cosmic_Boy posted: »

I'm not entirely sure how credible this is, but it says Clementine will be 17 by the end of the game. She was 8 when the apocalypse began, so that means she's spent 53% of her life fighting zombies. Wow.

• Why does everyone say Batman had 2+ hour episodes? Episode 1 was 2h20 for me personally, sure, but the rest were about 90-100 minutes with Episode 4 being about ANF episode length (75 minutes).

While I’m hesitant to take Telltale’s word as well, other factors to consider are: * That was the old leadership under Kevin Bruner tha

• Yeah I have played both LiS games, I enjoy them in an ironic sense. I get why they decided to make only 3 episodes for the prequel and I think it was a pretty good choice for them to do so.

What I really just want people to understand is that episodic structure should always serve the story, never the other way around. The demand for satisfactory episode length (especially in regards to the price of each episode) I can admit is reasonable (more bang for your buck and all that) but if the Dev team truly believes 4 episodes will best serve the story they want to present then I say there's nothing wrong with that, or at the very least its not something to freak out over when we know very few of the related details.

PHub07 posted: »

Before the Storm was 3 episodes because its a prequel with huge limitations on what they could do to make the story as interesting. Due to s

• edited June 2018

I think you are all forgetting one simple truth - ANF already had four episodes, it is just that episode one was so big they had to cut it in two parts! You forgot that? So four episodes is not something new to Telltale`s The Walking Dead
    Now on the serious note though. The episodes will be the same length as always 1,5 - 2 hours max but we will get two entirely different episodes 4 depending on our choices, just like Telltale did with Batman. So technically Batman had 6 episodes if you are counting two entirely different paths in the last episode and The Final Season will have 5 episodes because it will be done the same way even though the official number of episodes is 4. I rest my case.

• Great logic! :wink: If Life is Strange is making 2-3 hours long episodes, that means that TTG will make longer episodes in the final season. Never thought about it that way...

Also, what are you talking about with that competitor? What competitor? Life is Strange (h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶r̶u̶d̶g̶i̶n̶g̶l̶y̶)

• ???

Great logic! If Life is Strange is making 2-3 hours long episodes, that means that TTG will make longer episodes in the final season. Never thought about it that way...

• There's no guarantee that they will take notes on their competitor's games when it comes to episode length, but other elements in them seemed to have influenced the gameplay in The Final Season (both Life is Strange and The Council have a third person perspective and items are highlighted when near them in those games, two things the teaser trailer showed) so it is possible that Telltale took note of their episode lengths as well, even though we can't know if they did for certain.

(Also I know The Council was probably released after design choices were set for TFS but I'm sure Telltale is still taking notes of the mechanics in that game as well as Life is Strange)

Great logic! If Life is Strange is making 2-3 hours long episodes, that means that TTG will make longer episodes in the final season. Never thought about it that way...

• "one simple truth"

The thing about splitting an episode in two was a blatant lie on their part. They didn't split it in half. If that is what originally was going on that is not how it was handled in the end. They made it sound like at first we would be having a 2 part episode 1. They just made it into an entire second episode. They were absolutely not planning on making ANF only 4 episodes. That wouldn't make any sense. They bragged about that at launch....that would be like Season 4 only being 2 episodes and them bragging episode 1 is going to be their biggest episode yet without revealing its because the amount of episodes is going to be less.

Why would they release GOTG 5 episodes as well as Minecraft season 2 as 5 episodes. Then season 2 of Batman as 5 episodes. All while originally planning ANF be shorter than all of those and coming out first? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense at all...

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

I think you are all forgetting one simple truth - ANF already had four episodes, it is just that episode one was so big they had to cut it i

• Is this really true? Only four episodes?

Jesus Christ, I was right all along...

• Look at all these posts....let me tell you something...if the four episodes mean we have a better consistent flow of action and character building that makes me forget ANF....then they will have done well. I want places to explore...I want character backgrounds...and I am even getting some nice graphics. So lets wait to actually play this game before we moan and complain(even though it is our number 1 sport on these forums).

• Cosmic_BoyCosmic_Boy Banned
    edited June 2018

If it flops, at least there's always The Last of Us: Part II,Naughty Dog's ace in the hole. Not saying that it'll mop the floor with The Final Season, but it'll definitely steal its thunder, although it'll do that no matter how TFS comes out to be honest.

Sharples65 posted: »

Is this really true? Only four episodes? Jesus Christ, I was right all along...

• I'm hoping this is gonna support Nvidia Ansel.

• The damage begins first in our minds ... if you already wait for the worst ...

Let me put it this way people - I'd be more than happy to be wrong. Really. I love TWD since I started watching the TV show, then playing t

• I just love the exaggerated optimism of the majority in this forum.

True, but could you imagine if our favorite TV shows began adopting this formula? Most shows went from 24, to 16, to now 10. Technically spe

• AJ was not exactly a S2 character, but just a poorly made plot device.

How is addressing loose ends in the form of returning characters bad for business when AJ himself is a callback to S2? Just think on how asinine that line of thinking is.

• Well, you're entitled to your opinion but Telltale have always said that they want to focus on episodes which can be finished in a single run and that's why they decided to create 90 minutes long episodes. I seriously doubt they'll change that direction and to be fair, I don't want them to.

I remember playing Season 1 which was the best but still every episode was too long IMO. I've often found myself looking at my watch wondering when the episode is going to end cause they were very long back then. Now I can sit, relax, play and it doesnt take me 3 hours to finish a single episode.

There's no guarantee that they will take notes on their competitor's games when it comes to episode length, but other elements in them seeme

• One of the articles claims if you pre order you get access to the TT collection that came out?

Ill give them props on at least that. I already played them all but I was mildly curious about the visual improvement that was supposed to be there. So if we pre order on Friday we GET that 50 dollar package right away? I'm gonna play it either way but knowing that for sure will mean I pre order it that day.

• Maybe each staff has its own pace of play?
    I at least like to appreciate what I'm doing at the moment, no rush.

Why does everyone say Batman had 2+ hour episodes? Episode 1 was 2h20 for me personally, sure, but the rest were about 90-100 minutes with Episode 4 being about ANF episode length (75 minutes).

• I see it differently. I expect the worst and in return im rarely dissapointed. If I were to expect golden mountains, flying pigs across the sky and rivers full of strawberry ice creams, I not be happy at least half the time.

Firefox1972 posted: »

The damage begins first in our minds ... if you already wait for the worst ...

• Ufa! Finally a sensible comment.
    I also think that the episodic structure must always serve the story, and never the reverse. Personally, I compare the episodic format of the Telltale games or another dev with the comic book mini-series.

Yeah I have played both LiS games, I enjoy them in an ironic sense. I get why they decided to make only 3 episodes for the prequel and I thi

• edited June 2018

I guess. Still though, only four episodes? This has to be a joke. As much as the next person, I do prefer quality, but this is just striving away from the tradition that the previous games had, not exactly optimistic about it. I just hope I'm wrong about them being short episodes too.

If it flops, at least there's always The Last of Us: Part II,Naughty Dog's ace in the hole. Not saying that it'll mop the floor with The Fin

• Compare TFS with TLOU: 2 is at least an insanity...

If it flops, at least there's always The Last of Us: Part II,Naughty Dog's ace in the hole. Not saying that it'll mop the floor with The Fin

• Telltale has had drastic changes in management in the past year, and has stated in interviews that there will be major reforms to the gameplay and their design ethos. That doesn't mean they're beneficial exactly, but there is going to be some kind of difference in their game design as a result. Whether that means longer episodes or not we'll have to wait and see.

I agree that Season 1 could be a drag at times, but I think that's more due to it's slow pacing than the length of the episodes (I really like Season 1 though)

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but Telltale have always said that they want to focus on episodes which can be finished in a single ru

Sign in to comment in this discussion.