Lay-offs at telltale

12346»

Comments

• You've got to be kidding me.

• I wish my man. I wish...

You've got to be kidding me.

• Guys, where will the rights for some of these games go after the company disbands? Maybe it's a shot in the dark, but maybe some of us fans could come together and do whatever we could to finish these games. Surely we have some talent out there.

• Aw man this sucks I enjoyed all the games TellTale made! It feels like I am saying goodbye to a very good friend! :cry:

• Well who knows TellTale could possibly open up with a new name and stuff. The rights to the games are a mystery and now we will never know how Season 2 of Game of Thrones and The Wolf Among Us was going to be.

Guys, where will the rights for some of these games go after the company disbands? Maybe it's a shot in the dark, but maybe some of us fans could come together and do whatever we could to finish these games. Surely we have some talent out there.

• Doesn't mean much when the games in question still have license holders. You'd be better off getting the funding to making your own original creation.

Guys, where will the rights for some of these games go after the company disbands? Maybe it's a shot in the dark, but maybe some of us fans could come together and do whatever we could to finish these games. Surely we have some talent out there.

• You guys want to band together and create something then? Haha

booper posted: »

Doesn't mean much when the games in question still have license holders. You'd be better off getting the funding to making your own original creation.

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2018

You guys want to band together and create something then? Haha

That would literally be the best possible outcome of this whole disaster: People banding together to create something.

You guys want to band together and create something then? Haha

• I'm serious. I have several usable skills when it comes to video game creation. I just have no idea how to code.

Vainamoinen posted: »

You guys want to band together and create something then? Haha That would literally be the best possible outcome of this whole disaster: People banding together to create something.

• That reply is actually a meme among game developers. I myself have art skills, narrative skills and a fine set of ideas for advancing the adventure game genre. But, yeah, "I just need someone to code" really isn't the approach to get you anywhere. To get into games, you have to start coding. :blush:

I'm serious. I have several usable skills when it comes to video game creation. I just have no idea how to code.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited September 2018

Check out my 1337 coding skills B)

<p>Hello World!</p>

...now, where do I go to submit my resume? Any upstart gaming company would be lucky to have such awe inspiring coding skills!

That reply is actually a meme among game developers. I myself have art skills, narrative skills and a fine set of ideas for advancing the ad

• Well every bit helps. Come say hey on the thread I made if you're interested

That reply is actually a meme among game developers. I myself have art skills, narrative skills and a fine set of ideas for advancing the ad

• Check out my 1337 coding skills

Hello World!

...now, where do I go to submit my resume? Any upstart gaming company would be lucky to have such awe inspiring coding skills!

• edited September 2018

Awesome to see all those story driven developers extend a hand, hope that people get to work on some great projects and put this sad chapter behind them.

(Though maybe skip EA and Bioware guys, you will be there five minutes tops before you’re out again...)

• Look like ubisoft will have better games from now on

• edited September 2018

I don't know why it took me so long but I just realized. No Batman Season 3. That would have been awesome to have a few years down the line. Season 2 expanded the world so much and there was so much potential in making the third one a big finale for the character.

But no.

No more...

• edited September 2018

This shit hit me harder than Kenny's ending of Season 2. Jesus Christ. How do I live now?

• That’s probably the thing that ticked me off more than no WAU2, actually...

AChicken posted: »

I don't know why it took me so long but I just realized. No Batman Season 3. That would have been awesome to have a few years down the line.

• edited September 2018

The writing was on the wall, people were screaming about the problems and nothing was done.
    It's sad indeed, but at the end of the day, you reap what you sow.

If you stagnate the market this is what happens. Instead of keeping their selection diverse after the success of Walking Dead, TellTale made a mistake by making all the future games Walking Dead but with a different splash of paint over it.
    They stopped making point&click adventure games altogether, the genre which put them on the map in the 1st place.

All of this could've been avoided...

• As much as I'd LIKE this to be true, it isn't exactly. The P&C adventure game may have put them on the map, but it was The Walking Dead that claimed land in large batches on that very map.

Eventually, they could not have thrived on P&Cs. They had to change. I hate to say that, because I could not be a bigger fan of the P&C, but I guess that is the truth.

What they did in the Walking Dead Season 1, however, has worked for that game and only that game, in my opinion. That was the recipe they thought would bring them through the decade, even though it clearly was stale in its second iteration. :neutral:

Jshadow posted: »

The writing was on the wall, people were screaming about the problems and nothing was done. It's sad indeed, but at the end of the day, you

• I wouldn't trust the news about the walking dead final season being canceled right now. I want to hear the full statement from telltale first. What I think, and hope, could happen is that they will combine episodes 3 and 4 together into one episode and release it at some point in the future. I don't know if it'll happen, but I'm praying to god that something like it will happen. I want to see Clem's story end and having her story get canceled is a lot worse than he dying.

• edited September 2018

@Vainamoinen
    http://
    I wold have imaged they could have survived on P&C as a niche outfit (I understand P&C games are still very popular in Europe, especially Germany). I guess the problem with their P&C franchises is the ageing player base - Have many Millennial's/GenZ heard of Sam and Max or Wallace and Gromit or Bone, etc?

From what I understand there were issues with management decisions; being over confident after the success of the original Walking Dead series (expanding the business faster than they could afford), and fewer and fewer people buying their non-P&C games (ironically, It seems, their biggest success may have lead to their downfall?)

I moved away from TellTale games once they stopped making P&C titles myself - But it's sad to see any development house fall.

Eurogamer has some interesting details.

As much as I'd LIKE this to be true, it isn't exactly. The P&C adventure game may have put them on the map, but it was The Walking Dead

• They won't be able to finish the season. Even with 25 employees.

As much as I'd LIKE this to be true, it isn't exactly. The P&C adventure game may have put them on the map, but it was The Walking Dead

• Ryan used to be a Telltale former employee on the cinematic side if I remember correctly, no? He directed the cinematics of TFTB episode 4 unless I'm mistaken. Until he was fired back when they first reduced employees a while back.

AChicken posted: »

Host of the Player's Space series got word of it. https://twitter.com/TheOnlyRyann/status/1043227899556376576 https://twitter.com/TheOnlyRyann/status/1043285645383196673

• They won't be finishing it. The 25 people left are confirmed to be working on the Netflix series due to contractual obligation and only a few of them are devs, most are staying behind to manage the liquidation and bankruptcy.
    "We are saddened by the news about Telltale Games - they developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium."
    Netflix statement

protocol115 posted: »

I wouldn't trust the news about the walking dead final season being canceled right now. I want to hear the full statement from telltale firs

• I just want a Batman season 3 ?

• Hopefully Double Fine picks them up. I can see that happening.

Is it possible for someone to purchase the company? I just. I dunno. I'm in a lil denial right now. They have a few months left.

• It's been years, but I had to come back and give my condolences.
    Funny how I missed the days of Telltale being a mere handful of people, and now it's back to that, but in the worst possible way. :(

RIP Telltale, you guys had a hell of a run, and a fascinating path of growth on the whole. Not to mention the awesome fan community you built... skimming this thread, I'm still seeing names I recognize from twelve years ago! Not many sites like this have that kind of user retention.

Such a shame that we'll never get another TFTB... I was so hoping that we'd get a second season coinciding with Borderlands 3.

• If anyone picks them up I really don’t want it to be a console exclusive group. Telltale has been great in catering to as many platforms as possible and I wouldn’t want to see that change.

• I figured it would and Guardians of the galaxy didn't help either.

bloop posted: »

Damn ANF really did kill them in the end.

• This is my first time posting here on the TT forums. All I can say is damn, this really sucks.

As someone who grew up with the LucasArts adventure games, I remember being really bummed out about Sam & Max: Freelance Police being cancelled, but then some years later I came across a copy of Sam & Max S1 at the local store and loved the hell out of it. Since then Telltale has basically made me fall in love with adventure games all over again, something I'll always appreciate about Telltale as a developer. Really unfortunate how things turned out in the end.

That said, I just wanna say thanks for everything, Telltale. Wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

• edited September 2018

Something a bit better for a change.
    I hope all these employees find new and exciting jobs with these companies!

Still breaks my heart to see this whole company suddenly go away.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.