Is AJ mentally unstable? Like a legit Sociopath?

Comments

• Not easy to break them of either. My little girl flips when my dog takes her toys, which I do get, I wouldn't maggie grabbing my stuffed animals either(maggies few stuffed animal toys are completely shredded), but she likewise flips when she grabs maggies toys and maggie takes them back. It's not easy getting a young child to understand that not everything is theirs.

Stopped reading with example 1. Have you never been around children before? Children are selfish little assholes. They see something they like, it becomes theirs. It's the law of children lol.

• ITT: A bunch of people who know jack about kids feel fit to judge a kid who's spent his formative years with one person, while constantly fighting zombies.

• edited October 2018

ITT: A bunch of people who know jack about kids feel fit to judge a kid who's spent his formative years with one person, while constantly fighting zombies.

Ease up a bit my friend :)

Jimayo posted: »

ITT: A bunch of people who know jack about kids feel fit to judge a kid who's spent his formative years with one person, while constantly fighting zombies.

• I don't think you put enough straw in your strawman.

ZombieKenny posted: »

ITT: A bunch of people who know jack about kids feel fit to judge a kid who's spent his formative years with one person, while constantly fighting zombies. Ease up a bit my friend

• Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sarunas21 posted: »

It's hard to write children as it is. But they've anted up by writing one that's in circumstances that can't be compared to our daily lives,

• AJ is always watching. Always listening. Whatever happened at the ranch would explain why AJ kinda has issues. Which I think we all can see this lil mf got issues

• I don't think so. Children at his age are still developing their feelings and learning right from wrong. When I was young, I used to get mad like him and not understand things too. It's normal. Then again, he may be mentally unstable because his father was possibly Carver.

• I think I must put on hold the whole "Master Manipulator" thing: he hasnt been around people enough to know how to manipulate them. Plus is simply absurd to comapre AJ with Tenn: Tenn had family, friends, structure, stability, leadership. He wasnt practilly brought up on the road.

And while you might think the whole Apocalyptic Kiddo is overusted, is somethign that is unavoidable when it comes to analize the mental state of the people involved: For us killing a baby rabbit with some painful trap is unthinkable, for these people is breakfast.

It has happen everytime in human history when Violence was common place: Kids in the Middle Ages watched Cockfights and Dog Fights for entertaintment. Roman citizens watched blood sport as public events. And we dont label them a sociopthatic because at the time that was not anti-social behaviors, it was just life

When he started talking about being able to stay awake for 18 days while holding a knife in his hands I was getting really creeped out

• edited October 2018

Naw, he's just an apocalypse kid. He understands and respects Clementine if she tells him to, and he's shown time and again that he actually likes people. Y'all are trying to compare him to kids raised in a safe environment.

Like, a kid raised around a family that likes to hunt will eventually get used to killing animals and start thinking it's normal, whereas a kid raised around only pets would have a tough doing it. It's called conditioning. AJ has seen so much death and gore that it's become normal for him. It's Clem's job to teach him what's right or wrong.

I think ppl who don't understand AJ's character might be having trouble empathizing.

• Alvin is confirmed to be his father.

I don't think so. Children at his age are still developing their feelings and learning right from wrong. When I was young, I used to get mad

• Did you grow up in the zombie apocalypse?

Clemmy1 posted: »

I'm surprised the game hasn't addressed this YET, it's clear he is mentally unstable , no kid says first dibs to torture someone or kill them

• "he's unrealistic" literally everything about TWD is unrealistic.

marveleeous posted: »

I wouldn't call him a straight up sociopath, but... I do have some problems with AJ. To be brutally honest: He makes me a bit uncomfortable

• No I think he's a kid who is willing to do everything for his mother figure and still has a lot to learn about morals.

• Am I the only one who hopes they actually go down this path and the final choice will be to either put AJ down, abandon him, or let someone else take care of him?

• or let someone else take care of him?

Spoiler about achievements, not so sure on the rules of Achievements in spoiler tags but I've seen many people do it and get off fine (I'll remove this is mods want me to)

A Console Achievment is 'Promise' which states 'Said you'd never leave', and the PC equivalent for that is 'Better Life' which states 'Trusted someone else'. Interpret that how you will, but I see it as exactly what you said. Speculation on my part, but I think that through how far the player can optionally go to protect AJ and what they are willing to sacrifice for him, the player/Clem will not see themselves as the best parent for AJ anymore. It'll become a Vernon situation, where Clem can 'trust someone else' with AJ to give him a better life.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

Am I the only one who hopes they actually go down this path and the final choice will be to either put AJ down, abandon him, or let someone else take care of him?

• AJ is evil genius. He may be "Unbreakable" Samuel L. Jackson's clone.
    It sucks.

• Now that you mentioned it, he really acts like the joker in s2 of the Telltale Batman game.

Scythenger posted: »

Aj's mentality due to his upbringing is to kill anyone and anything he perceives to be a monster. And to have no sympathy for said monster.

• AJ is just a kid, grown in a fucked-up world. He isn't able to stay with other people. He only needs "education".
    His "desire to kill" is something grown with him BECAUSE of the Zombie Apocalypse. This isn't our world, that's a world that let alive only the one that knows how to kill, and DOES it.

I think that Clem could help him to correct his "deviations" in time.

• How so?

Now that you mentioned it, he really acts like the joker in s2 of the Telltale Batman game.

• Walkers will take care of him, I'd abandon him to them

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

Am I the only one who hopes they actually go down this path and the final choice will be to either put AJ down, abandon him, or let someone else take care of him?

• People saying AJ is just a kid and just needs adjusting? Well ten is just a kid a younger kid and he seems normal , the kids of the boarding School were that age growing up just like clem and there normal , AJ is too far gone for help

• But the thing is Tenn and WIlly were brought up in civilisation. AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count.

People saying AJ is just a kid and just needs adjusting? Well ten is just a kid a younger kid and he seems normal , the kids of the boarding School were that age growing up just like clem and there normal , AJ is too far gone for help

• Actually he is older then AJ

People saying AJ is just a kid and just needs adjusting? Well ten is just a kid a younger kid and he seems normal , the kids of the boarding School were that age growing up just like clem and there normal , AJ is too far gone for help

• edited October 2018

How do you know that? The boarding school found Tenn. He was also adopted by 2 white step sisters who are now also gone. Who knows where his real family went when the outbreak started. Who knows what the hell that poor kid seen out there.

He probably spent his years on the road with Minnie just like AJ and Clem and was an infant when the outbreak started. Add in the scar story that hes yet to talk about and losing his sisters to the raiders. He's had it not only way harder then AJ but also has more reason to be mean towards Marlon and Abel yet didnt. Im over AJ being given this huge pass yet Tenn being called sheltered and different with no real proof. Tenn is just a good kid and AJ lacks a moral guide. Tenn seen worst shit I can guarantee, as did Clem. But they listened to adults who guided them. Its essential. AJ seems to be way too comfortable with making his own choices and arguing with Clems decisions. He even bitched cuz my Clem gave the food to Abel. He acts grown instead of listening. Its sad.

I really do hope AJ is saved and he starts showing a sympathetic side. I like AJ. I just worry.

Ghetsis posted: »

But the thing is Tenn and WIlly were brought up in civilisation. AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count.

• edited October 2018

The pictures of them in the book prove otherwise that Vi, Minnie, Sophie, and Tenn grew up during civilization and all knew each other before the outbreak.

Tenn also knows about things like court hearings, police and firefighters, history ages, and probably other stuff that happened before the outbreak. So he couldn't have been an infant when the apocalypse started.

How do you know that? The boarding school found Tenn. He was also adopted by 2 white step sisters who are now also gone. Who knows where his

• Just like me, we honestly can't say anything because we don't know. But I feel as though Tenn was just brought to the boarding school by sophie and minnie. He hasn't seen much shit, I'm sure. The mere fact that he doesn't go outside to hunt convinces me that he hasn't seen any rough shit. He's basically Sarah in terms of what they'd seen: They know about walkers and the rough world but they're not at Clem's level of rough. So there is an excuse. I'm sure that if Tenn were forced to steal in his lifestyle being a runner just trying to get by like S4 Clem and AJ, he would be just as bad as AJ. Perhaps calmer, but he'd still steal. He'd still accidentally lowblow people because of what the ZA has forced him to do.

How do you know that? The boarding school found Tenn. He was also adopted by 2 white step sisters who are now also gone. Who knows where his

• I don't think Telltale put much thought into the timeline and the kids ages. They probably forgot that Tenn would have only been a toddler when the outbreak happened.

• Where was Tenn in those pictures? Who says the pictures werent taken post apocolypse?

Tenn was 100 percent a baby when it all broke out confirmed by the games timeframe unless you think hes as old as Clem and has some disease where he stays young. Clem was 8 when it started. Tenn is at least 6-8 years younger then Clem. He's around 10 imo. In the game the apocolypse started in 2003 and its 2013- 2014 in S4. He was either a new born or like 1 year max went it happened. He probably just learned history from the fact he's at a school surrounded by books and people to teach him.

AGenesis posted: »

The pictures of them in the book prove otherwise that Vi, Minnie, Sophie, and Tenn grew up during civilization and all knew each other befor

• AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count.

We can't have it both ways with the Ranch. It can't both count and not count. The way that AJ speaks of the ranch - he remembers it. More than that, he liked it before the blood. It's taken directly from AJ and Clementine.

AJ wasn't born into a world with only monsters and no people. He's met people, and been cared for by various people. He might not remember them all. Depending on player choices ( except in the Alone ending of S2 ), AJ spent a great deal of time with Jane/Kenny. Not dependent upon player choice, ANF AJ spends a little time with David, Linguard, Ava, then at the very minimum the rest of ANF's timeline at the Ranch with a family in a sheltered environment.

We have an unknown amount of time and events between the Ranch and the car to the train station. The thing is that Tenn/Willy and AJ very closely mirror each other. They're all raised almost entirely by children. Tenn was about AJ's current age when he arrived at the school. But it's not truthful to say that AJ was never around adults or anything resembling a civilization. ANF had a civilization as much as the wild west was a civilization.

But the thing is Tenn and WIlly were brought up in civilisation. AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count.

• edited October 2018

Yeah, it seems like that lol. They make it a lot more confusing age wise then it needs to be. Supposidly the outbreak was 2003. Yet Clem is 16 in 2014 when she was 8 in 2003. 11+8 being 19. So it must be 2012 now. So Tenn was like 2 when it started. I might be trusting the wiki page too much.

I don't think Telltale put much thought into the timeline and the kids ages. They probably forgot that Tenn would have only been a toddler when the outbreak happened.

• Amen. This is 100 percent true.

People act like AJ was raised by wolves in the woods and knows nothing but blood and survival. I mean, the kid did spend all of his life around humans. He knows a monster from a human he doesnt like. And Tenn and Will all have been raised in the same world in similar circumstances.

Poptarts posted: »

AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count. We can't have it both ways with the Ranch. It can't both count and not count. The wa

• In episode 1, you can clearly see him in one of the pictures with his sisters if you choose to examine the book, and he doesn't look like an infant in that pic. He also doesn't have his burn scar yet.

If I'm not mistaken, we don't even have a confirmation on his age yet, so he could probably be a couple years older than he looks. And I could have sworn in one of the other pictures, one of them had a background implying that the world still looked normal when they pics were taken.

Where was Tenn in those pictures? Who says the pictures werent taken post apocolypse? Tenn was 100 percent a baby when it all broke out

• I'm still ruling ANF out, but the ranch, yeah I agree. The fact that he remembers it means he must've been brought up in it. But to counter your point - when you're a 3-4 year old in the ranch, it's likely you won't experience the full package of civilisation. You wouldn't be educated on the social norms and values nor the social control system. Now if he was at the ranch up until 6 then I'd definitely agree that the kid has some mental problems.

Poptarts posted: »

AJ was a baby in the Ranch so it doesn't count. We can't have it both ways with the Ranch. It can't both count and not count. The wa

• I suppose that depends on how you're brought up on the ranch - much like anywhere, your experiences may differ from mine, but I wouldn't say I hadn't experienced the full package of civilization. When we were little, mom relied heavily on car seats and playpens, and when it came time for potty training, a portable ring set on top of a five-gallon pail worked for wherever we happened to be on the ranch.

We had a crazy love of chicks, ducklings, lambs, and learned a gentle touch. We had a very healthy respect for animals, and what they were capable of if we weren't mindful. By 3-4, not only were we in with the chickens, and ducks but we could also bring an ewe and her lamb by ourselves. We were around cows and horses, and you bet we knew to stay close because those legs could kick.

More than most places in society, you learned fast on the ranch if not from your parents then from life itself giving you a valuable lesson. Everything out there can throw a bigger fit than you, ( even the birds, maybe especially the birds ) so best maintain a gentle patience and a soft voice. If the stick looks like a snake, it might be a snake.

I'm still ruling ANF out, but the ranch, yeah I agree. The fact that he remembers it means he must've been brought up in it. But to counter

• Fuck me in the walker hole, no he's not a sociopath, as opposed to most of the people claiming he is. Learn something about human behavior and real world sociopaths before you continue spewing this nonsensical notion.

• America didn't have a problem putting a sociopath in the White House in 2016. I don't see why having a sociopathic sidekick in a video game would be an issue.

• Oh boy, the politics guy. Everyone pack up the stuff. Parties over lol.

America didn't have a problem putting a sociopath in the White House in 2016. I don't see why having a sociopathic sidekick in a video game would be an issue.

• This has nothing to do with politics. Trump is a legitimate sociopath. Seriously, he fits all of the criteria. ALL of it. He's the single worst human on the entire planet to have access to nuclear launch codes.

Oh boy, the politics guy. Everyone pack up the stuff. Parties over lol.

• That's gonna be a yikes from me m8

This has nothing to do with politics. Trump is a legitimate sociopath. Seriously, he fits all of the criteria. ALL of it. He's the single worst human on the entire planet to have access to nuclear launch codes.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.