[SPOILERS] Cool little contrast I noticed between Clem and Lilly...

In Episode 2, when Lilly has Clem at gunpoint, there isn't a single option to beg for your life; yes, you can say how she won't kill you, but it's not like Clem was begging or showing fear. Hell, you can even have Clem accept that she might actually die in the most badass line ever.

In Episode 3, when Lilly is being held at gunpoint, she begs for her life like the coward she is and exclaims how she doesn't want to die -- she shows fear.

What this proves is that Lilly is weak, unlike Clem.
Carver said it best: "they are weak, and we are strong."

Comments

• Lilly was only putting that on so she could get the jump on Clem

• Also what makes Carvers line more true is that he also never begged and took the bar to his face

• Tbf, i think Lily was semi-bluffing.

But i like that I get to kill her while she's bluffing.

• toke it like a champ

Erinour posted: »

Also what makes Carvers line more true is that he also never begged and took the bar to his face

• That's another moment where her characterization was so confused.

• Alternative suggestion. Clementine might actually want to die, when held at gunpoint she can possibly say 'Just do it' Or something along those lines. Anyway it didn't sound like a 'Super badass' it genuinely sounded like she was tired of life and just wanted it to end.

• Naw, AJ needs her, she would never just give up. As long as she has him to protect she would want to live I think.

Alternative suggestion. Clementine might actually want to die, when held at gunpoint she can possibly say 'Just do it' Or something along th

• edited January 2019

there isn't a single option to beg for your life; yes, you can say how she won't kill you, but it's not like Clem was begging or showing fear

Uh yes there is i'm pretty sure ? I think there's an option where Clem is just like "DO IT already i don't care" in a desperate voice begging Lilly to end it.

• Lol yeah for real.

DabigRG posted: »

That's another moment where her characterization was so confused.

• Lilly isn't weak. She just will do or say anything to keep her miserable life going.

• That doesn't mean she wants to die.

Alternative suggestion. Clementine might actually want to die, when held at gunpoint she can possibly say 'Just do it' Or something along th

• Lemme re elaborate.

She's tired and sick of the world to the extent that she wouldn't actually mind dying. The only thing keeping her going is AJ and if he dies I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to kill herself and could you really blame her?

Clementine literally shot two of her father figures (Assuming you shot kenny and lee) That is bound to leave a guilty mark.

MaikelRR_ posted: »

That doesn't mean she wants to die.

• Lily’s basically TFS’ Frieza.

Lilly isn't weak. She just will do or say anything to keep her miserable life going.

• She would never kill herself. After everything she has been through, going down like that would be an insult to every single person that raised her. If AJ dies then she still has Louis. If he dies then she will manage to find a way to enjoy things as well. Some day, for sure.

Lemme re elaborate. She's tired and sick of the world to the extent that she wouldn't actually mind dying. The only thing keeping her goi

• edited January 2019

Completely dependant on your Clementine.

I didn't really get into the romance myself.

She would never kill herself. After everything she has been through, going down like that would be an insult to every single person that rai

• I guess.

@Erinour Also what makes Carvers line more true is that he also never begged and took the bar to his face

He did flinch, though.

@SavageClemmy But i like that I get to kill her while she's bluffing.

Hm. Deja vu.

Melton23 posted: »

Lilly was only putting that on so she could get the jump on Clem

• Yeah, I kinda got that vibe as well.

• I guess

You don’t go from scared shitless to stabbing someone in the back of the head while smirking just like that. It was obvious she was faking it.

I guess. @Erinour Also what makes Carvers line more true is that he also never begged and took the bar to his face He did flinch, though. @SavageClemmy But i like that I get to kill her while she's bluffing. Hm. Deja vu.

• I mean, you can. She certainly had enough time to make the transition.

I guess You don’t go from scared shitless to stabbing someone in the back of the head while smirking just like that. It was obvious she was faking it.

• In that scenario, Lily literally has a gun to her head and Clem would have actually died (because Lily still pulls the trigger) if Violet/Louis didn't save her.

Pyreflie posted: »

Naw, AJ needs her, she would never just give up. As long as she has him to protect she would want to live I think.

• edited January 2019

I'm not talking about that line -- I'm talking about when she can say "I'll see you in hell."

Also, I too think she's very depressed and has suicidal ideation, but the fact that she has never killed herself proves how strong she is.

• I think she was lying about how we can trust her if we spare her, but bluffing? Not so much. What proves this to me is the fact that she knew Tenn couldn't kill her and so she even taunted him while he had the pistol (she even put her head up to the gun), but the second AJ picked up the gun and held her at gunpoint, she started begging and showing fear -- and as you remember, AJ told her he killed Marlon.

I genuinely believe she was scared of AJ, and begging for her life was the only thing she could do.

Tbf, i think Lily was semi-bluffing. But i like that I get to kill her while she's bluffing.

• That's not begging for her life, that's accepting the fact she might die at that moment, but she didn't show fear. Unlike Lilly.

iFoRias posted: »

there isn't a single option to beg for your life; yes, you can say how she won't kill you, but it's not like Clem was begging or showing fea

• Agreed, I was just saying that she didn't want to die. She maybe accepted it, but she didn't wish for it.

In that scenario, Lily literally has a gun to her head and Clem would have actually died (because Lily still pulls the trigger) if Violet/Louis didn't save her.

• edited January 2019

Or was she playing him because she knew appearing as a threat would make him want to shoot? She knew she couldn't intimidate him the way she could Tenn.

Megaodg33 posted: »

I think she was lying about how we can trust her if we spare her, but bluffing? Not so much. What proves this to me is the fact that she kne

• edited January 2019

Which still doesn't make sense given how they'd been characterizing her in the previous scene.
    Or hell, LITERALLY TWO MINUTES AGO!

Challenging Tenn to just shoot her and get it over with is one thing as a verbal bluff. But literally putting her head on the gun for a solid ten seconds, tho? When he could literally end it with a little bit of pressure, no less.

I think she was lying about how we can trust her if we spare her, but bluffing? Not so much. What proves this to me is the fact that she kne

• Human emotions don’t quite work like that I’m afraid

I mean, you can. She certainly had enough time to make the transition.

• Lol why would Tenn shoot someone?

• It does eight years into the apocalyspe. Or if you're aggressive enough.

Also, when an enemy who insulted you has their back to you and no one's paying attention.

Human emotions don’t quite work like that I’m afraid

• To protect someone else, if he has to.

Lol why would Tenn shoot someone?

• edited January 2019

True, but she was still lying. She never intended to "leave AJ and her people" alone. Ever. That counts as bluffing even if she genuinely doesn't want to be shot in the head.

And I think she actually intends to kill AJ right before the explosion.

And notice when Lily taunts Tenn, she taunts him only AFTER Tenn turns his back to the guard. Before that she's giving the same song "Tenn, don't do anything stupid, let's work this out"

Lily sees that she is physically safe (her guard can always take out Tenn if he tries something) and coupled with Tenn not being a natural born killer, gives her the incentive to actively taunt him.

All of this is to show is that yes... Lily IS weak, she's AFRAID.... and is an insecure power-hungry person who requires crass subjugation in order to feel the littlest control over things she truly doesn't have control over.

And that's been Lily's biggest and truest fear: Having no control.

The way she's been written has been masterful.

• All good points, but what I'm saying is, both of these scenes show us the difference between Lilly and Clem.

True, but she was still lying. She never intended to "leave AJ and her people" alone. Ever. That counts as bluffing even if she genuinely d

• Sadly nobody knows that. Look Clementine 8 years in. She still gets upset over Lee afterknowing him for 3 months. Louis was still terrified after being rescued from Clem and didn’t go straight back to happy after being rescued, even though he did lose a tongue, same with violet and her anger. Emotions works the exact same in the apocalypse as they did before.

It does eight years into the apocalyspe. Or if you're aggressive enough. Also, when an enemy who insulted you has their back to you and no one's paying attention.

• edited January 2019

@Megaodg33

she begs for her life like the coward she is and exclaims how she doesn't want to die -- she shows fear.
    What this proves is that Lilly is weak, unlike Clem.

Carley knew it even back then:

“Scared little girl”

Sign in to comment in this discussion.