Behind The Scenes Look at TWAU2 and More, Hosted by Geoff Keighley February 9th at 10 AM PT

123457»

Comments

• See I complained about Life is Strange 2 being that price but wouldn't mind paying it for Wolf. Unfortunately this time prob won't be like TFS which was $20 and also gave you the trilogy if you pre-ordered.

Poogers555 posted: »

Got thinking- I wonder how much Wolf 2 is going to cost and if they are going to sell episodes individually? I feel they will probably go fo

• Yeah I doubt it'll be episodic. Idk if that business strategy has been so successful for every company who's tried it in the past 10 years.

And yeah if the episodes are gonna release so soon, it's very likely its a one-package deal.
    Heck, maybe this time it'll be: digital release early, physical release 5 weeks later. None of that consumer-confusing Season Pass Disc stuff that only comes with the first episode.

Got thinking- I wonder how much Wolf 2 is going to cost and if they are going to sell episodes individually? I feel they will probably go fo

• edited February 2022

I love how it's been less than a week since the trailer dropped and people are already complaining about the new detective character. God help us if Telltale makes her playable or even romanceable.

• edited February 2022

I was thinking that as well about the Season Pass Disc thing. I know it is a bit annoying to not have a full game on a disc, but it sort of just is how it is now. I think the main confusion about the Season Pass Disc was that you would see it in stores, you'd probably think "Oh I guess the series is finished" but as we all know it wasn't.

Like even if it were released all at once, it probably would still release with just episode 1 actually on the disc and needing to download the rest. So I think they could probably be fine this time releasing a physical the same day as Episode 1 if they release weekly. And I do think weekly is what they should go for. Make it a TV show format and I think those who would rather binge it will either cave and say "Ok fine, it is like TV" or go "Ok I just need to wait exactly a month and can then binge the whole thing."

AChicken posted: »

Yeah I doubt it'll be episodic. Idk if that business strategy has been so successful for every company who's tried it in the past 10 years.

• What kind of complaints are you seeing? I dont think I've really seen any, but honestly haven't really seen many people talk about her either.

I don't see her being playable though, I think they would've said this. Seeing how they said the game really focuses on Bigby as a character I dont think they would want to split off from him, plus they seem to be framing how Bigby is in a bit of crossroad being split between Fables (Snow) and Mundies (Faye) and how they talk about Snow and Bigby having tension, it makes no sense to be playing as Snow when they want to use her like they did in Season 1, that character you want to appease but she sort of limits you, so my bet is that Faye probably wants Bigby for his more violent side. Be a bit strange if this whole "walk between worlds" theme they talk about is skewed by playing as Faye as well. I am interested to see just Faye's role fully is and why she will be so important, but time will tell. Hell we still dont know what kind of mystery we will be going on!

booper posted: »

I love how it's been less than a week since the trailer dropped and people are already complaining about the new detective character. God help us if Telltale makes her playable or even romanceable.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2022

I think most of the flaws with the episodic model were due to not so much to episodic releases, but rather due to bad management choices Telltale 1.0 made after they took away the wrong lessons from the success of Walking Dead Season 1.

Before Walking Dead Season 1, Telltale prioritized monthly releases with minimal rewrites. After Walking Dead Season 1, Telltale pushed for more rewrites which caused delays of 2-5 months per episode.

If Telltale 2.0 sticks to monthly episode releases (or weekly/bi-weekly) with no rewrites, I don't see the episodic format causing any issues there.

AChicken posted: »

Yeah I doubt it'll be episodic. Idk if that business strategy has been so successful for every company who's tried it in the past 10 years.

• I think the Season Pass Disc thing was just Telltale 1.0 trying to get more money by releasing a disc before all the episodes were out. However, Telltale 2.0 says they are wanting to have all episodes developed at once before they release episode 1. So, I don't think that the Season Pass discs will be as weird as they were before.

Honestly, now that Telltale 1.0 is gone, I did always kind of think that that Season Pass disc format (episode 1 on disc, rest of episodes are a free download) was kind of a poor format, as demonstrated by Telltale 1.0 going bankrupt and people losing access to games they bought.

I was thinking that as well about the Season Pass Disc thing. I know it is a bit annoying to not have a full game on a disc, but it sort of

• Yeah inconstancy was a real problem. Even when The Final Season showed that fancy card of all the dates, they were still not consistent. Went from August, Sept, Nov, Dec. If they go weekly it is very clear and easy to follow and is only a short wait.

I think most of the flaws with the episodic model were due to not so much to episodic releases, but rather due to bad management choices Tel

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2022

To be fair, those plans fell through because Telltale 1.0 went bankrupt and not because of any issues that the development team specifically had meeting that schedule otherwise, so I would not count that in particular. I do get why you brought that up though.

Yeah inconstancy was a real problem. Even when The Final Season showed that fancy card of all the dates, they were still not consistent. Went from August, Sept, Nov, Dec. If they go weekly it is very clear and easy to follow and is only a short wait.

• Again a pretty fair point. Although I am 90% sure a physical game (like GOTG) does still download if you have a disc as well as if you own it digitally. So just because no one is in charge of it, you can still play it with the disc.

But I dont know, there can be a whole thing about how games media is printed on disc these days. I think everyone would prefer just plopping it in and going but I dont think we can expect that again unless some major advanced happens to CDs for companies to do so.

I think the Season Pass Disc thing was just Telltale 1.0 trying to get more money by releasing a disc before all the episodes were out. Howe

• I worded that all pretty badly sorry.

I meant how their original plan (while still consistently a 6 week wait) it isn't really the kind of consistency that is viable. Those are still pretty long waits for an average fan and it isn't the most apparent looking at it that they are every 6 weeks. If they go weekly, showing their release schedule is super clear for those looking forward to playing and will most likely keep a constant player base. (Plus honestly easier marketing. Telltale marketing slowed down the further the series went, if it is all condensed in about a month I think that would help them out.)

(So yes ignore my poor wording of consistent in that comment, doesnt really make sense sorry)

To be fair, those plans fell through because Telltale 1.0 went bankrupt and not because of any issues that the development team specifically

• Ahhh gotcha! Yes, I definitely agree that Telltale having shorter releases/episodes done in advance will do wonders.

Now that Telltale 1.0 is gone, I can candidly say that I always found it a bit weird how Telltale 1.0 was ok having people wait 2-5 months for episodes that were intentionally designed to be short (60-90 minutes, with a TV style cliffhanger for next episode).

I think a lot of Telltale 1.0's marketing issues boil down to self inflicted limitations because of live rewrites. If the whole series is done in advance and they know when episodes are coming out, that gives them actual opportunities to... you know... market the series, as opposed to just having 2-5 months of radio silence followed by an occasional tweet of a staff member saying "SOON ;-)"

I worded that all pretty badly sorry. I meant how their original plan (while still consistently a 6 week wait) it isn't really the kind o

• edited February 2022

Stupidly enough, people are complaining because they don't know where she's going to fit into the story, which... okay, that's kind of the point with new characters, but whatever. Most of the issues I've seen reddit people take with her is the potential that she might be playable, but I also have a theory that they’re leery because they see her as competition to Snow. ime people get really weird about that kind of thing. I've seen tons of threads that started off as friendly speculation get heated because OP will suggest what a Wolf 2 with multiple romance options for Bigby would look like and everyone dogpiles in (lmao) to shoot them down. I can agree with them to an extent, because I think there are lots of Telltale games suited for romance but TWAU just isn't one of them. But the problems people have seems less to do with the fact that multiple romance options would weigh the game down and detract from what's ultimately Bigby's story and more to do with this idea that pairing Bigby with anyone who isn't Snow would ruin the character and invalidate the Snowby ship forever. At the risk of turning this into a ship discourse thread, I don't agree with that at all. Give me something new. It's not as if their relationship in the comics will Thanos snap out of existence the moment you have Bigby flirt with someone who isn't Snow.

All of that being said, if the story turns out to boil down to having Bigby choose a side — Fabletown vs the Mundy world — I'd absolutely love for Faye to be Snow's counterpart for the Mundies. She could have all of her good qualities like her empathy and sense of justice, but she could also be the kind of cop who doesn't always do things by the books. I could see most players choosing Fabletown's side just because, well, it's Fabletown. But put Bigby up against a character who shares his struggles and is fine with the person he is instead of wanting him to be something he isn't and the choice becomes much harder.

What kind of complaints are you seeing? I dont think I've really seen any, but honestly haven't really seen many people talk about her eithe

• Yeah people can be weird. Not every story needs a romance and Wolf's romantical plot between Snow and Bigby is pretty much meant to be stuck in that limbo to further the theme and tone of the story. I feel very confident in saying they are not going to go down a love triangle thing and like the first game romance isnt a huge factor of the story, it will most likely be more of that limbo between the 2.

And again, I really dont see her being playable. They said they want to focus on Bigby's character and to me it seems this means Faye will basically be the opposite part of Snow. Obviously we dont know if Faye knows/will know Bigby is a Fable, but I can imagine that Snow wants Bigby to do things the "right way" and not be aggressive, and I want to say I feel Faye will be the loose canon cop who will do what needs to be done, so she will encourage Bigby to be more aggressive.

I suppose this would mean Snow sees more of the good in Bigby and encourages him to do that, which may come at odds with what players want to actually do vs Faye who is fine with Bigby being aggressive, but it means you are letting the worst part of you out. Basically Snow wants you to be responsible, Faye doesn't care is how I feel this will go.

booper posted: »

Stupidly enough, people are complaining because they don't know where she's going to fit into the story, which... okay, that's kind of the p

• Also small theory, but it is possible the Oz fight does not take place during the winter. You'll notice how it is raining instead of Snowing and the fact that the hot tub and pool still seem to be active. During the fight, blink and you'll miss it, there is a calendar that says "June" which was strange. Could just be a background asset.

However, worth noting in the post card teaser, we can see New York is covered in Snow and in that post card we see a church which I feel is very safe to assume is where the anger management takes place because we can see a nativity scene in the background. So it is possible that this opening really will be a cold opening, hell when we leave the church it may give us a "6 months later" title as we see Snow is falling.

• Again a pretty fair point. Although I am 90% sure a physical game (like GOTG) does still download

Yeah, the thing about that is, while many of their titles have been delisted, the download files can still be found within Playstation/Xbox servers.

So if you have it in your purchase history, of have a Season Pass Disc, you should still be able to download the episodes, just through the game's menu itself, IIRC...

@Blind Sniper

If Telltale 2.0 sticks to monthly episode releases (or weekly/bi-weekly) with no rewrites, I don't see the episodic format causing any issues there.

I think what I meant to say was that the monthly/bi-monthly format Telltale developed their episodes for wasn't a good way to do it.

With the way New Telltale is developing things, I think it makes sense that if they release it in short 1-2 week drops, people won't lose interest so fast and they can still keep some of that "episodic hype" of fan-theories, reviews, etc. that they would probably want to keep the game in the public eye.

And the game itself probably won't be sold episode-by-episode, just as a one-time Season Pass, that'll be completed in a month or so, wherein the Disc version can probably release in full.
    Just my view on how that might work.

Again a pretty fair point. Although I am 90% sure a physical game (like GOTG) does still download if you have a disc as well as if you own i

• The trailer for TWAU2 just surpassed 1 million views, and only 10 days after released, great for Wolf! And there is another trailer with 600k so the views were divided. The trailer will provably end with over 2M views.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.