Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Actually, there is empirical evidence of this: EoMI's mists o' time.

Heh, that was one of the best parts in Escape imo
  • edited June 2011
    Lechuck sending Guybrush to the future with his voodoo powers and then going back to the past to prevent your future demise would be more appropriate I think.:p

Okay, another idea: In a 6th game, Lechuck and the Voodoo lady wouldn't be there(breathtaking :D ), and we could meet a new villain, brown beard or something like that. At the beginning he could just be a bad treasure hunter, but gradually he could become as bad as LeChuck. In the game, Guybrush would try to stop him while he's trying to find a cursed treasure, but he would fail, and brown beard would become a Voodoo zombie with a lot of power. Guybrush would stop him at the end but brown beard would stay "ugly" with a face damaged because of the voodoo powers. And after that, he would hate Guybrush and would become a new ennemy of the Monkey Island Universe. :)

And in a 7th game, the Voodoo lady would create sort of monsters with the essence of LeChuck. Brown beard could want to take that power to be powerful again. But at the middle of the game, we see that LeChuck escaped from the jar, and he can posess everyone he wants to so he posses brown beard and disappears with voodoo powers(it's LeChuck. :D ). Later in the game Guybrush wants to stop LeChuck again but, at the end of a fourth chapter, just before the finale, when Guybrush kisses Elaine, LeChuck starts laughing at Guybrush: he took possession of Elaine's body(yeah, LeChuck can be very horrible :D ), he says that if Guybrush wants to kill him again, he'll have to kill Elaine. In the final chapter, Guybrush asks himself, he doesn't know what to do. But Elaine tells him to kill her, that's the only way. Guybrush kills her, he's alone. Then he wants to kill the Voodoo Lady because it's her fault if LeChuck escaped.

We won't know what happened to brown beard until a 9th game. :D
  • edited June 2011
    There needs to be a season season.
    Its that simple.
    TellTale did a utterly utterly superb job with ToMI, and theres no reason why they cant do it again. Frankly, I think ToMI actualy was superiour to all the other games in some areas....like direction and drama. All the games are funny, but ToMI actualy had some really nice drama too. Puzzle diversity too, there was some real nice stuff.

In short; we need more :)
    Don't need 1 a year or anything, a rest is fine, but we need another one, and then hopefully one after that :D
  • edited June 2011
    Lechuck sending Guybrush to the future with his voodoo powers and then going back to the past to prevent your future demise would be more appropriate I think.:p

Okay, another idea: In a 6th game, Lechuck and the Voodoo lady wouldn't be there(breathtaking :D ), and we could meet a new villain, brown beard or something like that. At the beginning he could just be a bad treasure hunter, but gradually he could become as bad as LeChuck. In the game, Guybrush would try to stop him while he's trying to find a cursed treasure, but he would fail, and brown beard would become a Voodoo zombie with a lot of power. Guybrush would stop him at the end but brown beard would stay "ugly" with a face damaged because of the voodoo powers. And after that, he would hate Guybrush and would become a new ennemy of the Monkey Island Universe. :)

And in a 7th game, the Voodoo lady would create sort of monsters with the essence of LeChuck. Brown beard could want to take that power to be powerful again. But at the middle of the game, we see that LeChuck escaped from the jar, and he can posess everyone he wants to so he posses brown beard and disappears with voodoo powers(it's LeChuck. :D ). Later in the game Guybrush wants to stop LeChuck again but, at the end of a fourth chapter, just before the finale, when Guybrush kisses Elaine, LeChuck starts laughing at Guybrush: he took possession of Elaine's body(yeah, LeChuck can be very horrible :D ), he says that if Guybrush wants to kill him again, he'll have to kill Elaine. In the final chapter, Guybrush asks himself, he doesn't know what to do. But Elaine tells him to kill her, that's the only way. Guybrush kills her, he's alone. Then he wants to kill the Voodoo Lady because it's her fault if LeChuck escaped.

We won't know what happened to brown beard until a 9th game. :D

*facepalms* OK guy's listen! Fan fictions all well and good, but could we make it at least feel like Monkey Island? I mean no offence dude, the story's good, but none of that is actually very fitting with the MI universes feel. For a start Elaine dying would be drastic for MI, let alone Guybrush killing her, wtf?

Here's what I see, a game that explains what happened on the missing parts between games. So a episodic adventure like this:

The first ep would explain how Guybrush ended up on Melee in the first place and wanted to be a pirate.
    The second ep would explain what happened in the year between MI1 and MI2.
    The third ep would explain how Guybrush escaped Big Whoop.
    The fourth ep could actually fill in some of what happened between EMI and ToMI.
    The final ep could just fill in a little of the gap about what's been going on since ToMI and end on a bit of a cliff hanger (so literally where Tales season 2 would start from).

Then of course we could get Tales season 2. That could be a game that wraps things up and ends the series. I know, I know 'END'S THE SERIES!?!', well frankly yes. As much as I love MI, I would actually like to see them go out on a high note and not slowly become stale over time. Though it could also be just the end of the 'LeChuck saga' and the new games could be based around a new villain! :D

Course this is just my thoughts on it. I'd play new MI games either way though :P

Other then a possible gap filling game and Tales season 2, I think all we need after that is a EMI special Edition which corrects some of the problems with the original. Oh and maybe a CMI special edition. Just so we can play it in HD and on modern computers without using SCUMMVM, plus some bonus content (like concept art and directors commentary, or even a commentary with Dominic Armato) would be cool!
    Darkflame wrote: »
    Its that simple.
    TellTale did a utterly utterly superb job with ToMI, and theres no reason why they cant do it again. Frankly, I think ToMI actualy was superiour to all the other games in some areas....like direction and drama. All the games are funny, but ToMI actualy had some really nice drama too. Puzzle diversity too, there was some real nice stuff.

Don't need 1 a year or anything, a rest is fine, but we need another one, and then hopefully one after that :D

I agree. Though I have to say I think MI2, CMI and Tales are all on par, I do think Tales has the slight edge cos of the end of Chapter 4 and Chapter 5 being so unique and epic!

Sorry for such a long post guy's! :P
  • edited June 2011
    Darkflame wrote: »
    Its that simple.

Well said. Someone in charge take note. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, I know it's drastic, I wouldn't see it in a Monkey Island game, and I started to play this saga when I was 5. :D

But a new villain could be a good idea no? :)
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, I know it's drastic, I wouldn't see it in a Monkey Island game, and I started to play this saga when I was 5. :D

But a new villain could be a good idea no? :)

It needs to be someone that plays 2nd fiddle to LeChuck (like Largo), someone mysterious and completely independent but very ambiguous/not necessarily evil (Morgan) or a powerful independent force of piratey/Caribbean native evil. A figurehead that includes LeChuck as 2nd man (Ozzy) just doesn't work full stop. Nor does a main season villain being someone high up in the navy, or a Governor, etc.. The same goes for bodiless spirits (GP LeC doesn't count because he had human form and walked). LeChuck2s/Voodoo Lady2s also wouldn't work.
  • edited July 2011
    It hasn't been that long since the last post, but any more word on this? I'm new to TTG and am finishing up Sam & Max S1, and was thinking about get TOMI next...but if it just ends abruptly (I don't know) with no sequel in sight, I may just get Sam & Max S2 instead.
  • edited July 2011
    Okay, does anyone else think the fact that this was stickied could be a sign?

Moving on, here are some things I want in MI6 (Not season 2, for the love of God don't call it TMI2)

- British Navy. This would be new, refreshing, piratey (unlike mermaids... ugh), and could be HILARIOUS. Some characters could be monty python esque, but some could be serious navy types. The juxtoposition would bring back the irony of SMI and LCR.

- Morgan isn't in the game. She is mentioned as a myth, but she's too new of a ghost to be a real threat at this point. Plus I'm sure she has some emotional issues to sort out first.

- Voodoo lady as the main villain, though only after a few episodes where you think she's fine still.

- Less cartoony

- Less compressed audio

- New Engine (TTT is getting old, unfortunately)

- Elaine being a bitch again

- LeChuck not in the game, but referenced as an old legend.

- Men of Low Moral Fiber

- More than one main island. Spinner Cay didn't count. I will pay double for the game and wait twice as long between episodes. Better yet, take a year to finish it and release it as a single game.

TTG has a lot of Promise and TMI was good how it was, but I want better for MI, though it was great fun and the story was good (minus those mermaids), it didn't fit the SCOPE of the previous games.
  • edited July 2011
    It hasn't been that long since the last post, but any more word on this? I'm new to TTG and am finishing up Sam & Max S1, and was thinking about get TOMI next...but if it just ends abruptly (I don't know) with no sequel in sight, I may just get Sam & Max S2 instead.

Go get TOMI. Believe me you're not making a mistake. To some of us, the end was a little dissatisfying because a lot of questions were left unanswered - on the other hand, that's one reason why a sequel is possible and likely to happen.
  • edited July 2011
    Okay, does anyone else think the fact that this was stickied could be a sign?
    Hm, no. Not really.
    Moving on, here are some things I want in MI6 (Not season 2, for the love of God don't call it TMI2)
    Well, neither Curse nor Escape were officially titled "Monkey Island 3" or "Monkey Island 4", so personally I don't see any necessity in adding a number to the "Monkey Island" title. I agree, though, that "Tales of Monkey Island 2" would sound odd.
    - British Navy. This would be new, refreshing, piratey (unlike mermaids... ugh)
    Hey! There were mermaids in POTC IV, too! That didn't make the movie less piratey!
    - Morgan isn't in the game. She is mentioned as a myth, but she's too new of a ghost to be a real threat at this point. Plus I'm sure she has some emotional issues to sort out first.
    I don't think that would be a good idea. Morgan is the character that gave MI a new direction. Plus, she's popular. I don't think it would be wise to leave her out.
    - Voodoo lady as the main villain, though only after a few episodes where you think she's fine still.
    But we do know she's bad by now, don't we? I agree with the main villain part though.
    - Less cartoony
    My words, but I think that would go against Ron Gilbert's will. So TTG wouldn't change the looks. I guess.
    - Elaine being a bitch again
    Could you specify that?
    - LeChuck not in the game, but referenced as an old legend.
    To me, that would work....for the first half of the season. Until he returns...again! :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2011
    - double post -
  • edited July 2011
    It was most likely stickied by one of my fellow Mods... Because now that the game has been over for a while the only topic people talk about is when will there be a second season... so why not sticky it for people to find easier.
  • edited July 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    It was most likely stickied by one of my fellow Mods... Because now that the game has been over for a while the only topic people talk about is when will there be a second season... so why not sticky it for people to find easier.

guess that means we won't be getting a new season soon :(
  • edited July 2011
    DeLuca wrote: »

- New Engine (TTT is getting old, unfortunately)

On the graphics (assuming that's what you were referring to), while it'd be great in a lot of ways if they were a lot better, I'm not sure that it's necessary that they be brought up to a level above the newest Sam & Max games or the upcoming JP games. To be honest, I haven't played any other Telltale games outside of the Sam & Max series (but I am downloading the TOMI demo now, as an "old school" MI fan), but it seems like the current level of the graphics suffice for this style of game.

There can (and should) be upgrades to the quality of the art (both 3D and 2D, a la textures), and the various graphical "glitches" should be fixed (many of these things, like poor lighting and shadow placement, have been pointed out in other threads recently, particularly in the JP forum), and also things like higher-resolution textures and at least a slightly higher poly-count would be great. But I'm not sure if a game like TOMI *needs* more modern things like shaders and advanced shadow volume. Also, this would add a lot of development time (we are very likely talking about a complete redo of the engine's rendering code). While I'm new here and definitely can't speak for the community, I do think that a majority of people here would rather have a new TOMI game sooner than a new TOMI game much, much later but with "next-gen" graphics (or even current-gen graphics) - at least, if I end up liking TOMI as much as I have the other MI games, that's how I'll feel.

Even so (and I may contradict myself a little here), it would definitely be great to have higher quality graphics. While I personally think that the MI series should retain a more cartoon-y look (though perhaps not quite as stylized as TOMI appears to be), I think it'd be interesting to see graphics in the style of things like Kameo, Ratchet & Clank Future, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bults, and Double Fine's Brutal Legend (though less "metal") and upcoming Sesame Street game; where it has that very cartoon-y look but yet shows off effects more commonly attributed to more realistic, modern games (realistic reflections, realistic fur simulation, etc...)

The main issue with this in my mind is the system requirements. While I may very well be wrong, it seems to me that TTG's core fan base (i.e. the people who continually come back and support the company) tend to be PC & Mac users instead of console users. A large portion of these people seem to be the type of gamer who is focused almost solely on "point-and-click" adventure games, and usually these people will not have a cutting edge gaming rig nor will they be willing to upgrade just for a relatively-small episodic game. So by pushing toward "next-gen" graphics would TTG be effectively eliminating its core fan base? Maybe not, I honestly don't know.

So it basically seems to come down to this - are next-gen (or even current gen) graphics worth the significantly long wait and possible alienation of a large portion of TTG's fans? Should this weariness prevent TTG from ever moving forward with their graphics? Would this increase in graphics quality significantly increase the final experience of future MI (or Sam & Max, or King's Quest, or JP, etc...) games? Would this increase in graphics quality significantly, and positively, affect TTG's sales so that they could hopefully have more room to make even better games? My personal answers are: Probably, though I can't say I like waiting (and I also think that heavy scalability would be a must so that almost everybody could enjoy it, just like Blizzard did with Starcraft 2). No. Maybe, though I'm not sure how much in a game like TOMI. Almost definitely, especially with my generation (I'm 18) and the following generations being evermore focused on graphics (many of my peers won't even try a game if the screenshots don't look "amazing").

I digress :p
  • edited July 2011
    You know what I'd love?

A Monkey Island game that looks like MI2:SE's E3 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VID7IoXrI)

My god, that looked beautiful. Can't see Telltale making a game that looks like that though (but please feel free to prove me wrong!)
  • edited July 2011
    Alex IDV wrote: »
    You know what I'd love?

A Monkey Island game that looks like MI2:SE's E3 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VID7IoXrI)

My god, that looked beautiful. Can't see Telltale making a game that looks like that though (but please feel free to prove me wrong!)

Yes, that'd be awesome!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2011

I just checked. Silverwolfpet did it!! :D :D

And no, he doesn't know more than you all do.

We normally sticky threads the topic of which is so popular that a lot of duplicate threads get made. In the case of the topic "ToMI season 2", it was a no-brainer. :D
  • edited July 2011
    I come back to this forum, several times a month at least to see if there is any news on a new season. TOMI was the first Telltale game I ever played and loved it (as I have all of the other Monkey games) and really want a sequel.

They seem to be, however, very busy on to many other franchises to think we'll see a new season anytime soon. In no way does this make me give up hope.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm only on episode 2 of TOMI, but it's great. I really hope that they do make a second season!
  • edited July 2011
    I just checked. Silverwolfpet did it!! :D :D

*spits out water he just drank*

What?? no! I didn't! I swear! I never seen that body in my backyard before!!

Wait, what are we talking about?
    And no, he doesn't know more than you all do.

Or DO I??

MuahahahahanoIdon't.
    edited July 2011
    Wait, what are we talking about?

You made the thread a sticky. It's a minor offense, two years of prison should suffice. Best thing is, when you get out, chances are that ToMI 2 is indeed actually announced! :D
  • edited July 2011
    Dont worry we have SWP on a daily flogging regimen.. We may have to stop though... I think he is starting to like it...
  • edited July 2011
    Dont worry we have SWP on a daily flogging regimen.. We may have to stop though... I think he is starting to like it...

The kinky fiend! there goes all my methods of intergation out the window.
  • edited July 2011
    Oops! *deletes all the Jurassic Park files* Clumsy me!

Guess I didn't learn my lesson! ^.^

uh, I mean : (
  • edited July 2011
    Tales of Monkey Island: Legends of LeChuck ;)
  • edited July 2011
    Tales of Monkey Island: Legends of LeChuck ;)

If this were pre-MI canon, I think this could be brilliant. Having said that, they need to utilise the episodic model to make every episode a different story than a chapter. Obviously the problem with this is they can't get away with recycling resources like character textures, so could be more costly than normal.
  • edited July 2011
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if its been said already, BUT, I think it would be cool if Wally the Pirate would be in the next season. (I think it the scene in curse of monkey island was hilarious when Guybrush tried to make him cry)
  • edited August 2011
    ToMI is the only game I bought from TTG. But I haven't payed for shipping my collectors DVD because I'm waiting for season 2, so I can shipped bought with same price. Of course I would buy the new season if it came.

Hope it will came out someday.
  • edited September 2011
    Everlast wrote: »
    I think u may be slightly right! But not at the time you expect. My hunch and prediction reading the interview is that at best we should expect a new addition to the Monkey Island series in no less than a year.

My reasons to say this is that i feel TTG has their hands full right now, they are currently developing 3 games. Which are Sam and Max Season 3, Back to the future and Jurassic Park. And we dont know what other new stuff TTG may be planning to release. So at best it may be at the earliest in December 2011 or 2012 surely.

But this thing about Monkey Island has me so uneasy, because of the fact Lucas Arts has a new president. I hope he pushes even harder for more diversity of games for his companies and is willing to share w/ the creators the royalties for TTG. Lucas Arts is so used to mamoth income, that it makes me wonder how they view TOMI's income.

My prediction still stands that between december 2011 to the whole year 2012 is the the time if TTG still wanna release another TOMI they will do it. If it doesn't happen blame Lucas Arts.
  • edited September 2011
    I think even if Telltale had the green light from Lucasarts to start a season 2, we would not be seeing the game until at least 2012. Even with an expanded staff, Telltale has 3 new games (hopefully) coming in 2012- adding another would be too much. I am convinced, however, that Telltale truly wants to make another season and has been haggling with Lucasarts since the 5th episode came out.
  • edited September 2011
    The way i see it, after Lucasarts released Tales... they were in good conversations with Ron Gilbert for his return to the franchise, and according to him, that was going pretty well until happened what it happened.

So, i guess that if a Monkey 6 appears on the horizon they would try to resume those negotiations with Ron instead of going back to Telltale.

Personally i would love to see a Doublefine Monkey Island and see how that turns into.
  • edited September 2011
    Nothing is fun. All games are boring. MI is my only hope.
  • edited September 2011
    Nothing is fun. All games are boring. MI is my only hope.
    This.
  • edited September 2011
    Summer of 2010 was a good time, I played the whole MI series once I finished the special edition of Secret of MI. This will remain the greatest adventure series I've played, along with Broken Sword on iPhone of course. :)

I really do hope they make a second season, not much different than the first either, I loved it.

Nostalgia hit me hard. :/
  • edited September 2011
    Turn Guybrush into a father. THAT might have impact on the series.
    edited September 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »
    Turn Guybrush into a father. THAT might have impact on the series.

Well, they'll probably do that in Pirates of the Carribbean 5, so we can't have it in MI6. Thank God!! :D
  • edited October 2011
    After Tales was released I thought another Monkey Island game from Telltale was a sure thing but the longer we go without any Monkey Island news the more I find myself doubting that we'll ever see one.

The sad truth is there hasn't been any real Monkey Island news since the release of LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition and that was well over a year ago. Telltale have heaps of new games on the horizon and can easily get by without the beloved franchise. ToMI isn't even their most financially successful game any more. There is always a chance Monkey Island will come back, this isn't the first time it has survived in hibernation, but the chance of a new Telltale MI game seems less likely with each new IP they take on.

I don't believe LucasArts is equipped to handle the franchise on its own but that's just me. Updating older games is one thing but producing new content... I just can't see them doing as fine a job as the folks over here. Still, while Telltale haven't announced a new MI game they haven't not announced one either, so anything is possible.
  • edited October 2011
    Monkey Island is simply a game that really did it. I mean ... erm.... uhm.... well ...
    I really hope that it will live on ..... well not 'live' but..... argh! You know what I mean ;)
  • edited October 2011
    mikey485 wrote: »
    This is actually a good idea. Guybrushs character really needs to develop a little more

I don't think we need Guybrush as a father. You can see a lot of character development if you compare the SOMI - Guybrush to the TOMI - Guybrush.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.