Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Mermaid wrote: »
    I don't think we need Guybrush as a father. You can see a lot of character development if you compare the SOMI - Guybrush to the TOMI - Guybrush.

Well, he's a little more piratey. ;)

Seriously though, the "Tales" have successfully managed to avoid character development on Guybrush's side. We've never seen those contracts of course, but I could imagine that this was one of the conditions from LucasArts' side (i.e. "We want our character back afterwards unchanged"). The development was more around Guybrush, and with Morgan, some bold character steps for a humorus adventure game were even attempted. Instead, Telltale played largely on Guybrush's already existing character traits, and that had its great moments too. That Guybrush didn't for a second consider Morgan as an affair was just great. There are so many movies which should have a slice of that almost anti-stereotypical portrayal of men. :D

Speaking of stereotypical, the advent of a child is about the least innovative thing that could happen to the Guybrush-Elaine relationship. Not even if it's a ghost zombie demon pirate baby. Boooorinnnngggg, seeenit! Besides, "Sam & Max Season 4" will take care of that as we will have to see what Sybil has brought to life.
  • edited October 2011
    Guybrush developed enough to make friends who he isnt just using to do a puzzle or get an item off.
  • edited October 2011
    I admit that I kind of got discouraged by the lack of Monkey News.
    I still have the letter ready to go. I just wonder if by sending it we'll do more harm than good. We don't want to annoy anyone but we DO want a new Season.
  • edited October 2011
    I admit that I kind of got discouraged by the lack of Monkey News.
    I still have the letter ready to go. I just wonder if by sending it we'll do more harm than good. We don't want to annoy anyone but we DO want a new Season.

I doubt anyone in Lucas would stop a game because of fan mail.
  • edited October 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I doubt anyone in Lucas would stop a game because of fan mail.

Tell that to Battlefront 3...
  • edited October 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Tell that to Battlefront 3...

Huh? What happened to that?
  • edited October 2011
    what do u think out of the three will happen

Sam & Max freelance police (it should happen =D)

monkey island 6 aka tales of monkey island 2 aka return to monkey island aka something monkey island (again it should happen)

star wars battlefront 3/another sequel to knights of the old republic/just some more star wars games (most likely to happen)

now as a bonus heres some names if some other game publisher got to make games (and im gonna use some games for examples)

EA. (using harry potter deathy hollows games as examples) monkey island - call of monkey island: mordern voodoo 2 (first person shooter)

sam and max - call of duty: freelance police (again first person shooter) and what does this got to do with monkey island season 2 well A. i have no idea but B. if there is a season 2 i would like to see a episode where lechuck and guybrush switch bodys but no one but lechuck and guybrush know and lechuck uses a voodoo spell to make guybrush unable to tell anyone its guybrush in lechucks body and then Lechuck in guybrush's body and elaine goes on a rampage through the carriban (which again lechuck has put a spell on elaine)
  • edited October 2011
    Why don´t we use a petition? I´ve already seen that by Majorask Mask for the 3DS and I thought it would be cool to make that for ToMI2, too. I was a little surprised, when I saw that there already exists one (although there are only five signing till now), so we can simply use that (and try to proliferate them):
    http://www.petitiononline.com/monkey6/petition.html
  • edited October 2011
    Well, he's a little more piratey. ;)

Seriously though, the "Tales" have successfully managed to avoid character development on Guybrush's side. We've never seen those contracts of course, but I could imagine that this was one of the conditions from LucasArts' side (i.e. "We want our character back afterwards unchanged"). The development was more around Guybrush, and with Morgan, some bold character steps for a humorus adventure game were even attempted. Instead, Telltale played largely on Guybrush's already existing character traits, and that had its great moments too. That Guybrush didn't for a second consider Morgan as an affair was just great. There are so many movies which should have a slice of that almost anti-stereotypical portrayal of men. :D

Speaking of stereotypical, the advent of a child is about the least innovative thing that could happen to the Guybrush-Elaine relationship. Not even if it's a ghost zombie demon pirate baby. Boooorinnnngggg, seeenit! Besides, "Sam & Max Season 4" will take care of that as we will have to see what Sybil has brought to life.

So your saying Guybrush now being loyal to his crew (Winslow) when he would just stab them in the back before, him caring about his friends (Morgan, and for a time LeChuck) when before he used friends as tools and him actually being able to properly stand up to Elaine aren't character development?

Seriously dude, every MI game has developed Guybrush's character in one way or another (even Escape to a much lesser extent), but I agree that Tales was on the light side, but then again, Guybrush's character was already well developed going in.

But anyway, I personally could see kids being interesting, provided it's done right. Like if the children where about 6/7ish and could help solve puzzles and not just be useless and get snatched it would be brilliant! (In essence, if Guybrush's son/daughter was like Max).

Why have lot's of people said about Sam and Max season 4 now? Has it been confirmed to be coming soon? Cos that would kick-ass!!!
  • edited October 2011
    I'm definitely looking forward to the next adventure. The ending here left a lot of questions. I think that the next one will be even more dramatic. As for kids being involved, I'm not sure I like that idea. Guybrush usually faces his challenges head on without really thinking of what he's doing and bringing kids into it can be, I would think, relayed as abuse even if the children were capable of surviving all of the dangers Guybrush gets himself into.

Then there is the parent issue. The MI series, no offense, does have a lot of alcohol references and innuendos. Putting kids into that mix might be considered distasteful and might get parents hackles up.
  • edited October 2011
    guys i just got an idea how about we help telltale with ideas for monkey island episodes

episode 1 - switching sides - lechuck and guybrush switch bodys but no one but lechuck and guybrush know and lechuck uses a voodoo spell to make guybrush unable to tell anyone its guybrush in lechucks body and then Lechuck in guybrush's body and elaine goes on a rampage through the carriban (which again lechuck has put a spell on elaine)
  • edited October 2011
    guys i just got an idea how about we help telltale with ideas for monkey island episodes

episode 1 - switching sides - lechuck and guybrush switch bodys but no one but lechuck and guybrush know and lechuck uses a voodoo spell to make guybrush unable to tell anyone its guybrush in lechucks body and then Lechuck in guybrush's body and elaine goes on a rampage through the carriban (which again lechuck has put a spell on elaine)

I don't think Telltale are having any trouble coming up with story ideas for their games ;)
  • edited October 2011
    Hey everyone

after playing the game on pc and ps3 for the 8 time, i was just wondering if there getting a new tales of monkey island?

and is it getting a new edition of curse of monkey island?:confused:
  • edited October 2011
    First thing is that a new MI-game depends on Lucas Arts, wo have the rights.

Second thing is that Telltale is really busy right now, they have so many projects on the run (JP, Waling Dead, Kings Quest, Fables ect.). they probably won't announce an new thing before late 2012 or 2013. Soo, if there will be a new MI, you have to be patient.
  • edited October 2011
    Regarding a special edition for The Curse of Monkey Island: Well, LucasArts haven't announced one, and personally, I don't think we absolutely need one. It's got reasonably high resolution graphics, good voice acting and music, and a modern interface.
  • edited November 2011
    I have been wanting to ask this: What the hell kind of a person names a character Guybrush Threepwood?
  • edited November 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »
    I have been wanting to ask this: What the hell kind of a person names a character Guybrush Threepwood?

Here's the story behind the name.

Without knowing its origins, I must say that the name is a little obscure and ridiculous :D. But, then again, it's sort of meant to be.
  • edited November 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    Here's the story behind the name.

You know what's funny: this semester I've been studying The Odyssey and I started thinking to myself that Odysseus was like the original Adventure Game protagonist. While all the other Greek soldiers valued brute strength, Odysseus used his cunning and keen wit to overcome obstacles. Look at the Trojan Horse; it's exactly the kind of bizarre solution you'd find to a puzzle in an Adventure Game, not a traditionally accepted military strategy.

I find it really awesome that Ulysses, Latin for Odysseus, is Guybrush's middle name. It's a perfect fit.
  • edited November 2011
    Do we know what LucasArts is doing besides the Kinect Star Wars game? I am losing the little hope I had for a season 2 :(
  • edited November 2011
    bobber56 wrote: »

The origin of the name "Guybrush" comes in part from Deluxe Paint, the tool used by the artists to create the character sprite. Since the character had no name at this point, the file was simply called 'Guy'. When the file was saved, Steve Purcell, the artist responsible for the sprite, added 'brush' to the filename, indicating that it was the Deluxe Paint "brush file" for the "Guy" sprite. The file name was then "guybrush.bbm", so the developers eventually just started referring to this unnamed 'Guy' as "Guybrush".[2]
  • edited November 2011
    And 'Threepwood' comes — reportedly second-hand — from the works of P.G. Wodehouse. It's the family name of the earls of Emsworth in the Blandings Castle stories.
  • edited January 2012
    Its obvious that people asking when/if there will be a sequel is fruitless.

Will there be?
  • edited January 2012
    Well, I'll just say that I wouldn't be unhappy with a second season, if they ever do get around to it. I'd love to see them do something more with Morgan, and the cliff-hanger-esque foreshadowing after the credits certainly makes one want more.

I loved how epic this storyline was, too. I think I actually liked it more than Curse of Monkey Island, which had up to now been my favourite.
  • edited February 2012
    In November of 2011, when CEO of Telltale games Dan Conners was asked a question about another season of Monkey island, he replied "I wish we had the rights to do more Monkey but we don't. Right now what I gather is LA is focused on building AAA titles internally but honestly we don't talk much these days."[10]
  • edited February 2012
    We've been waiting for 9 years. I suppose we can still wait without being surprised, now.

Maybe when LA will see that Schafer and Gilbert's new adventure game is awesome, they'll change their minds.
  • edited February 2012
    Maybe when LA will see that Schafer and Gilbert's new adventure game is awesome, they'll change their minds.
    I doubt the current head honchos at LA care about a game being awesome... they might be interested if the sales are awesome.
  • edited February 2012
    Yep, that's how I see it too.

I just hope they won't make a crappy Monkey Island someday.
  • edited February 2012
    Yep, that's how I see it too.

I just hope they won't make a crappy Monkey Island someday.

250px-Escape_from_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg
    jk
  • edited February 2012
    Oh, I expected this one to come. This joke is getting too old.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    But true it is also. We have to remember these mistakes so they won't be repeated. :cool:
  • edited February 2012
    im hoping when WHEN will we see the end of monkey island saga???? This is what makes me mad about a saga. Mass Effect saga had an ending and people never had to wait for decades for a new installment, yet monkey is land is wait for 10 yrs for the new insstallment. This is the most least taken care franchise i've ever seen,
  • edited February 2012
    But true it is also. We have to remember these mistakes so they won't be repeated. :cool:

So you're saying that "Escape from Monkey Island" is the Third Reich of the MI-saga?
  • edited February 2012
    So you're saying that "Escape from Monkey Island" is the Third Reich of the MI-saga?

Talk like that will get you sent to Knutting Atoll.

actii_knuttin1.jpg
  • SydSyd
    edited February 2012
    Everlast wrote: »
    im hoping when WHEN will we see the end of monkey island saga???? This is what makes me mad about a saga. Mass Effect saga had an ending and people never had to wait for decades for a new installment, yet monkey is land is wait for 10 yrs for the new insstallment. This is the most least taken care franchise i've ever seen,

A true ending for the Monkey Island saga probably won't happen until Ron Gilbert gets full control over a new Monkey Island game. If anyone will end the series, it will be the creator himself.
  • edited March 2012
    People keep saying that Telltale can't make another TMI, because they're too busy with other games.

I played "Jurassic Park" the other day, and I think they should return to making good games.
  • SydSyd
    edited March 2012
    bplinzi wrote: »
    People keep saying that Telltale can't make another TMI, because they're too busy with other games.

I played "Jurassic Park" the other day, and I think they should return to making good games.

I had heard that they lost the licensing to Monkey Island, so they can't make another one unless LucasArts gives them the go-ahead again.
  • edited March 2012
    I dont think its so much as "lost" the license, its more like they only had a deal to make one game.
  • edited March 2012
    i doubt it lucasarts started the whole monkey island franchise long ago when dos was i think the mainstay of a computer system till microsoft came along with the windows product line. i mean those of us that can remember that far back originally the only gaming system/console was the atari. then the atari broke off and started making computers. the atari 800 i forgot some of the other atari computer systems the had released. I just remember my first actual pc was an atari 800. then tandy got into the game and started making computers as well as the commodore64 coming out. forgive the history of the pc here lol. i think though since lucasarts gave license to telltale to make some more of the monkey island series i don't think that would limited them to just one or two games. it all comes down to telltale and the developers teaming up with lucasarts and pitching the idea for a season 2 and its storyline to lucasarts and see if they like the idea. thats just my theory on it but its more or less the way of how it would go outside of forum discusssion i would guess.
  • I would imagine it would have some sort of element like in EFMI where they don't realize that LeChuck has returned until a lot later. Who knows? The ending of "Rise of the Pirate God" seemed to leave the game on a cliffhanger. The Voodoo Lady looks like she might be an antagonist in the next game.
  • edited March 2012
    Mordaki987 wrote: »
    i think though since lucasarts gave license to telltale to make some more of the monkey island series i don't think that would limited them to just one or two games. it all comes down to telltale and the developers teaming up with lucasarts and pitching the idea for a season 2 and its storyline to lucasarts and see if they like the idea. thats just my theory on it but its more or less the way of how it would go outside of forum discusssion i would guess.

Have a look at this post:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=562002&postcount=23
    They want to make more Tales but can't because Lucas Arts aren't interested.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.