Morgan LeFlay? (SPOILERS HERE)

So is Mo' still a ghost, or what? When she said "Ghost Pirate Hunter™" did she mean that she was a Ghost, and hunts pirates, or did she mean that she hunts ghost pirates?
I'm assuming the first one, since she walked away from the Voodoo Lady as a ghost.
While I'm pleased that she's happy with this ending, I can't help but feel upset that Guybrush didn't really seem to have any concerns, especially after all she did for him! I mean, for all he knows, she's still rotting at the crossroads!
Okay, sorry, just needed to rant about that.
Comments, ideas, etc.?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    One thing about Morgan I wish was explained, or maybe I missed it... what happened to Morgan's body?
  • edited December 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    So is Mo' still a ghost, or what? When she said "Ghost Pirate Hunter™" did she mean that she was a Ghost, and hunts pirates, or did she mean that she hunts ghost pirates?
    I'm assuming the first one, since she walked away from the Voodoo Lady as a ghost.
    While I'm pleased that she's happy with this ending, I can't help but feel upset that Guybrush didn't really seem to have any concerns, especially after all she did for him! I mean, for all he knows, she's still rotting at the crossroads!
    Okay, sorry, just needed to rant about that.
    Comments, ideas, etc.?

he was just happy it was all over and hes back with elaine it will proboly sink in after a while also I MISS THE HOOK!
  • edited December 2009
    Hook hook, where's the hook, hook hook hooooooooooook.
  • edited December 2009
    She'll be a villain of the second season, that's for sure.

That's badass, refreshing, and adorable.
  • edited December 2009
    Falanca wrote: »
    She'll be a villain of the second season, that's for sure.

That's badass, refreshing, and adorable.

I kinda hope she's not. I don't think she'll directly be out for Guybrush (again). But I hope their paths cross and she's a considerable thorn in his side - just not a direct nemesis for him.
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe she'll get her own spin-off! Who's with me?
  • edited December 2009
    ^
    Good lord, no.

I still didn't really care much for Morgan in this episode but I know she has a lot of fans so all the character emphasis AGAIN was to be expected. The scene where she calls Guybrush out for being a wuss is nice though. It's also kind of funny that as much as I severely dislike the voice chosen for her, it was a lot better when she was depressed for some reason. My friend and I were all "hmm, I think her voice actually fits now" but then when she got confident again it went back to normal and we were all "oh nevermind."

As for her being a ghost, I don't really think she was intended as a villain at the end (I mean if after all those scenes they're really going to pull that stunt I'd be pretty angry) though I do think she was portrayed rather carelessly. Even if I don't like the character I was hoping IF she came back to life she'd join the crew like Winslow, not something in between. Since I had all those "feel sorry for this character and like her please" cutscenes shoved in my face, I would have liked such an ending. Oh well.
  • edited December 2009
    I love the Monkey Island games. Morgan has been the most interesting addition to the series to me.

Strange after all the Monkey Island games, I still do not like Elaine.
  • edited December 2009
    I liked her in the very first game. Then it just weeeent downhiiiilll.
  • edited December 2009
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    ^
    Good lord, no.

I still didn't really care much for Morgan in this episode but I know she has a lot of fans so all the character emphasis AGAIN was to be expected. The scene where she calls Guybrush out for being a wuss is nice though. It's also kind of funny that as much as I severely dislike the voice chosen for her, it was a lot better when she was depressed for some reason. My friend and I were all "hmm, I think her voice actually fits now" but then when she got confident again it went back to normal and we were all "oh nevermind."

As for her being a ghost, I don't really think she was intended as a villain at the end (I mean if after all those scenes they're really going to pull that stunt I'd be pretty angry) though I do think she was portrayed rather carelessly. Even if I don't like the character I was hoping IF she came back to life she'd join the crew like Winslow, not something in between. Since I had all those "feel sorry for this character and like her please" cutscenes shoved in my face, I would have liked such an ending. Oh well.

The development of Morgan LeFlay its pretty sustancial and more so than any other character. She has risen as more important than Murray, Stan and gotten to the level of Lechuck and the Voodoo Lady. We get to know more of Morgan and her reputation, her admiration for Guybrush, later her cooperation and smartness into the plot by being involved in quests for adventure and lastly she dies and apparently comes back to life due to the voodoo lady.

She clearly appeared to be working with her and puts her on the level of principal antagonist and with unresolved plots to solve at the end of the game. Because we as players dont know whats her involvement and deals with the voodoo lady. And what part will Lechuck play in the voodoo lady and LeFlay's plan (if they are really working together).
  • edited December 2009
    I love the fact that Morgan is a ghost pirate hunter. In fact, I would have done the same if I were a screen writer after what happened in E4 so I'm pleased Telltales obviously planned this all along. This was the perfect way out of the love triangle while keeping Morgan alive to wreak havoc in the next episodes.

It's not so much that I'm a Morgan fan - I simply like the edge the character throws into the Guybrush-Elaine relationship (the duel over Guybrush in the 41 bar was just hilarious) and with the ghost hunter pirate set-up there is a lot of material for very good comedy in the following episodes. Morgan has always had her own agenda (the final scene shows this all too well) and I'm anticipating some very funny/awkward future encounters.
  • edited December 2009
    Pretty sure I began to despise Elaine when she lied about having a husband at the end of Secret. That..... beeeeeotch.
  • edited December 2009
    Everlast wrote: »
    She clearly appeared to be working with her and puts her on the level of principal antagonist and with unresolved plots to solve at the end of the game. Because we as players dont know whats her involvement and deals with the voodoo lady. And what part will Lechuck play in the voodoo lady and LeFlay's plan (if they are really working together).

I believe it's just about money like the previous case (or powers, as she is a ghost now, meaning she may have Danny Phantom powers minus all the ghost mucus cliché), so she doesn't care the plan of Voodoo Lady.

I just want to see Voodoo Lady's villainous acts now. I believe seeing the face of Guybrush will automaticly make her switch sides. I KNOW it didn't work well in their first encounter, but still.
  • edited December 2009
    Everlast wrote: »

I think that's reading too much into it. Morgan is a pirate hunter. She delivered LeChucks remains (or parts) in exchange for being able to reenter the living world. Sounds like a simple and fair deal to me.
  • edited December 2009
    Rybrush wrote: »
    Pretty sure I began to despise Elaine when she lied about having a husband at the end of Secret. That..... beeeeeotch.

Yes, but, if I remember correctly, they weren't married until the end of Curse/beginning of Escape.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't help but feel upset that Guybrush didn't really seem to have any concerns, especially after all she did for him! I mean, for all he knows, she's still rotting at the crossroads!

I agree entirely!! Surely Guybrush could've made some sort of "I hope Morgan's okay"-esque comment, and then Winslow could've said something slightly offensive or provocative about her... and it would have been funny... sigh...

In the end, I thought Morgan was better suited to Guybrush, too... as an aside. I also found her slightly annoying, like PecanBlue, however, I thought the chemistry between her and Guybrush was fantastic. They made a good team!
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe she'll get her own spin-off! Who's with me?

I am! I think she is definitely a good enough character to have her own game (and not "just because of her cleavage").
  • edited December 2009
    'Ghost Pirate Hunter LeFlay' reminds me of 'Ghost Pirate LeChuck'. Wonder if she will become even more obsessive and try to force Guybrush to be her undead husband :D
  • edited December 2009
    Personally I think it'll be more fun if Morgan simply agrees that having Guybrush as her undead husband is one of her aims, but she doesn't think she'll succeed, and certainly isn't go to force him.

Elaine won't believe her about for force. Not realising their is a major difference. Morgan actually loves Guybrush. LeChuck was obsessed.
  • edited December 2009
    Am I the only one who seems to have noticed that the voodoo lady is actually not seeming to squeeky clean with her last line, to be honest its the only time she's ever really shown any emotion. Maybe she has wanted LeChuck for an eternity to cary out her own deeds... maybe she has always been his puppet master, or maybe I am just aimlessly trying to not acknowledge how I still wish Elaine was ousted by Morgan.

One thing I will add however, is Dominic Armato's weakened voice of "Did we win" has gotta be the most humble and awsome moment ever for Guybrush.
  • edited December 2009
    nadir wrote: »
    'Ghost Pirate Hunter LeFlay' reminds me of 'Ghost Pirate LeChuck'. Wonder if she will become even more obsessive and try to force Guybrush to be her undead husband :D

I had the same idea! It would be funny - though the joke would wear thin very quickly...
  • edited December 2009
    I was pretty disappointed with the Morgan stuff to be honest... Until this chapter it was great but then she started to act... sporadically.

She was depressed at the start (she's dead- who wouldn't be upset?) and then in no time at all becomes chipper again (the sword fighting was such a disappointment- far too easy/quick and no memorable lines). Then she is all over Guybrush again, wanting to make up for her misdeeds... but in the end betrays him all over again by saving (bits of) LeChuck.

Also, she says that she clung onto her independence when she died but then later says it was her reputation. In a sense though you could argue that it was indeed her independence she sacrificed if she is now the Voodoo Lady's puppet.
  • edited December 2009
    ... but in the end betrays him all over again by saving (bits of) LeChuck.

In a sense though you could argue that it was indeed her independence she sacrificed if she is now the Voodoo Lady's puppet.

She's a cold-hearted pirate hunter and made a deal with the voodoo lady - no surprises. Now she's a ghost pirate hunter. She still has her independence (and her reputation will come back quickly).

I think this is a brilliant resolution of her character (in fact I was hoping for this outcome after E4), and an excellent set-up for her character in the next season.
  • edited December 2009
    One thing about Morgan I wish was explained, or maybe I missed it... what happened to Morgan's body?

Holding a dartboard
  • edited December 2009
    People, Morgan never lost her reputation. It was her shred of life, which she gave up for Guybrush's sake. She just told Guybrush it was her reputation, just to make him not so concerned.

Kevin
  • edited December 2009
    Wiggi wrote: »
    Holding a dartboard

That's awful.
    But funny.
  • edited December 2009
    my mo :o
  • edited December 2009
    Guybrush did worry about Morgan, he asked the Voodoo Lady why she couldnt Cross the Rip and the Voodoo Lady answered something about she still needs to do something

and i think she "worked" for the voodo lady since her death and had to bring the Lady the remainings of LeChuck to get her body back.

another thing is that the Voodoo Lady called her "my Girl" or something in that last scene, maybe she is her daughter? after al they have the same skin color, and who else beside the Voodoo Lady knows about the Adventures of Guybrush Threepwood^^
  • edited December 2009
    Rebirth wrote: »
    another thing is that the Voodoo Lady called her "my Girl" or something in that last scene, maybe she is her daughter? after al they have the same skin color, and who else beside the Voodoo Lady knows about the Adventures of Guybrush Threepwood^^

Never thought it that way, it may very well be true. Though, this should mean Voodoo Lady should have been around with another guy after DeCava. If DeCava was the father of Morgan, well, he could remember her maybe?

Also, there is something proves that this may be the case, which is;
    "Nice cans!"
  • edited December 2009
    Tarot cards in the very final cutscene shows
    Morgan - Death - LeChuck
  • edited December 2009
    I love the caped Morgan in that card, by the way.

Is there any chance that we can see/touch/buy a full roster of those cards?
  • edited December 2009
    he was just happy it was all over and hes back with elaine it will proboly sink in after a while also I MISS THE HOOK!

x100!

I knew they'd find a way to give him his hand back by the end, I was very surprised it went on for as long as it did, but I really loved the hook. I wish they kept it on him.

Though I liked that he was disappointed about that too. :)
  • edited December 2009
    I think the dealing with the Voodoo Lady is just business as usual for Morgan; whether she is under the thrall of the Lady (having sacrificed her independence) is up to the person who writes the next MI game.
  • edited December 2009
    Never thought it that way, it may very well be true. Though, this should mean Voodoo Lady should have been around with another guy after DeCava. If DeCava was the father of Morgan, well, he could remember her maybe?

Also, there is something proves that this may be the case, which is;
    "Nice cans!"

Not if she never told De Cava she was pregnant, how long has he been away from her? And she might have just said she was eating too many pork rinds or something at the time (might be how she got fat...).

Then again, she could just have meant it as a term of endearment sort of, like "Well done my dear, my young padawan..." Or maybe she considers Morgan her possession, a tool, hence therefore she would indeed be her girl even if they're not related. She might refer to LeChuck as her boy too whenever she spoke to him when Guybrush wasn't around in the same vein...
  • edited December 2009
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Then again, she could just have meant it as a term of endearment sort of, like "Well done my dear, my young padawan..."

It's the estimated meaning of it, but theories doesn't hurt. Unless it's about politics.
    Or maybe she considers Morgan her possession, a tool, hence therefore she would indeed be her girl even if they're not related. She might refer to LeChuck as her boy too whenever she spoke to him when Guybrush wasn't around in the same vein...

Oh, villainess-ish.
    Not if she never told De Cava she was pregnant, how long has he been away from her? And she might have just said she was eating too many pork rinds or something at the time (might be how she got fat...).
    Not only that, but we know that Voodoo Lady is not that shy when it comes to talk about DeCava. If we consider that Morgan is her daughter, Mo' HAS to know that DeCava is, in fact, her father. We also know that Morgan is not resistant on sharing her feelings, so it would be out of character for her not to get emotional near her presumedly dead father.
  • edited December 2009
    That's one of my complaints for the ending: that Guybrush forgot about Morgan so quickly. In fact, the ring idea was pretty soppy (even if romantic) and was unexplained, and then it just went downhill. The Voodoo Lady redeemed it somewhat, but still, this is one of the worst endings to a MI game.
  • edited December 2009
    feverfew wrote: »
    That's one of my complaints for the ending: that Guybrush forgot about Morgan so quickly. In fact, the ring idea was pretty soppy (even if romantic) and was unexplained, and then it just went downhill. The Voodoo Lady redeemed it somewhat, but still, this is one of the worst endings to a MI game.

Grinned at the fact that you said "one of the worst" instead of "the WORST".

Ending of MI2 is legendary enough to be beaten, after all.
  • edited December 2009
    It's the estimated meaning of it, but theories doesn't hurt. Unless it's about politics.

Oh definitely, I was just covering all possibilities. ;)
    Oh, villainess-ish.

Considering how little we know what she's up to, it's a good possibility. I'm just trying to rack my brains to recall if she ever called Guybrush "My boy..."
    Not only that, but we know that Voodoo Lady is not that shy when it comes to talk about DeCava. If we consider that Morgan is her daughter, Mo' HAS to know that DeCava is, in fact, her father. We also know that Morgan is not resistant on sharing her feelings, so it would be out of character for her not to get emotional near her presumedly dead father.

True, if she is the Voodoo Lady that does raise a good point. I suppose it depends on what kind of relationship the two have, maybe VL always planned for her daughter to be a tool for her and never told her about her father in order to avoid Morgan developing ties to someone else, or maybe VL gave her up for adoption after she gave birth, only getting back in touch very recently?
  • edited December 2009
    True, if she is the Voodoo Lady that does raise a good point. I suppose it depends on what kind of relationship the two have, maybe VL always planned for her daughter to be a tool for her and never told her about her father in order to avoid Morgan developing ties to someone else, or maybe VL gave her up for adoption after she gave birth, only getting back in touch very recently?

Mhm, possibilities are just too much.

I kinda wonder if Guybrush talked about the relationship between DeCava and Voodoo Lady near Morgan... If Morgan had no clue, that had to leave a mark on her.
  • edited December 2009
    KevinSig wrote: »
    People, Morgan never lost her reputation. It was her shred of life, which she gave up for Guybrush's sake. She just told Guybrush it was her reputation, just to make him not so concerned.

Kevin

her reputation was her shred of life its what she held on to
Sign in to comment in this discussion.