Morgan LeFlay? (SPOILERS HERE)

Comments

• edited December 2009
    One thing about Morgan I wish was explained, or maybe I missed it... what happened to Morgan's body?

Perhaps somebody took it away, stuck an eye-patch on her, and sawed off one of her legs and replaced it with a peg-lep, to ensure she'd go to the pirate afterlife despite it already having been established that she wasnt a pirate!
    (Mind you, Noogie's grave was also in the Crossroads. Maybe it was pirate-and-gone-away-to-a-farm afterlife, and Morgan grew up in a rural district? :D )
  • edited December 2009
    Morgan does qualify as an oddly specific pirate. After all one nation's privateer is another nation's pirate. Though of course you should never let either of them hear you saying that.
  • edited December 2009
    One thing about Morgan I wish was explained, or maybe I missed it... what happened to Morgan's body?

The Voodoo Lady took it and kept it safe. She got in contact with Morgan after Guybrush entered the portal (he asks Morgan "What are you going to do?" and she then obviously was offered that job by the voodoo lady, seeing a chance to rebuild her existence / her reputation. She's the voodo lady's new tool.
  • edited December 2009
    Morgan does qualify as an oddly specific pirate. After all one nation's privateer is another nation's pirate. Though of course you should never let either of them hear you saying that.

mabey they where low on swordfighters and made an exseption
  • edited December 2009
    Perhaps somebody took it away, stuck an eye-patch on her, and sawed off one of her legs and replaced it with a peg-lep, to ensure she'd go to the pirate afterlife despite it already having been established that she wasnt a pirate!

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that the "pirate afterlife" was called "the crossroads"? Seems to me it's more "purgatory" than "heaven or hell". A place where the dead wait until moving on to their "final resting place" or "fiddler's green" or whatever. Also, I like how they explained where all the
    treasure the treasure crabs were collecting
    went :D

What I find most interesting about Morgan and the Voodoo Lady's interaction was the slight feeling of animosity between them. I definitely didn't get the feeling that Morgan and the Voodoo Lady had any kind of history or deep rapport.
  • edited December 2009
    I definately get the feeling that the voodoo lady doesn't really have a specific goal in her manipulations as much as she is just trying to keep the cycle of Guybrush/Lechuck going. Sort of a "balancing good and evil in the universe" deal. This sort of explains the post-credits scene with Morgan and the Voodoo lady. LeChuck had discovered that the Voodoo Lady was manipulating him to perpetuate this cycle and thus sought to escape it. So he then manipulated everyone else to produce the situation seen in the final battle. With LeChuck aware of her machinations, the Voodoo Lady has to defeat him and find a replacement for him, which she does via Guybrush and Morgan. They defeat him and Morgan brings his essence to the Voodoo Lady for safe-keeping and Morgan takes over his role but starting the cycle as the Ghost Pirate (Hunter) LeFlay.

EDIT: Now that I've read that over, I don't really think the good-evil thing works, so instead I propose that (like the tarot cards) there are specific roles that must be filled in order to maintain balance in the universe or what have you, so with LeChuck aware of the Voodoo Ladies manipulation of him to fill his role of ghost/zombie/demon who loves a living person, the Voodoo Lady removes him from the equation and replaces him with Morgan.

Thoughts?
  • edited December 2009
    Seepgood wrote: »
    I definately get the feeling that the voodoo lady doesn't really have a specific goal in her manipulations as much as she is just trying to keep the cycle of Guybrush/Lechuck going. Sort of a "balancing good and evil in the universe" deal. This sort of explains the post-credits scene with Morgan and the Voodoo lady. LeChuck had discovered that the Voodoo Lady was manipulating him to perpetuate this cycle and thus sought to escape it. So he then manipulated everyone else to produce the situation seen in the final battle. With LeChuck aware of her machinations, the Voodoo Lady has to defeat him and find a replacement for him, which she does via Guybrush and Morgan. They defeat him and Morgan brings his essence to the Voodoo Lady for safe-keeping and Morgan takes over his role but starting the cycle as the Ghost Pirate (Hunter) LeFlay.

EDIT: Now that I've read that over, I don't really think the good-evil thing works, so instead I propose that (like the tarot cards) there are specific roles that must be filled in order to maintain balance in the universe or what have you, so with LeChuck aware of the Voodoo Ladies manipulation of him to fill his role of ghost/zombie/demon who loves a living person, the Voodoo Lady removes him from the equation and replaces him with Morgan.

Thoughts?

Sounds logical. And I can expect a hell breaking loose if the (force of Good)Guybrush-(Evil Ghost Pirate) Morgan dichotomy is corrupted by an unforeseen escape of LeChuck's essence into the lithe, welcoming body of our favourite voodoo priestess.

Quoting not-French guy:
    "Just imagine the possibilities..."
  • edited December 2009
    nah. morgan won’t betray guybrush again. she could work against him, but only in a business-like way, not in any way dangering his life. (after all she sacrificed her last shred of life to him!)
  • edited December 2009
    A little off-topic, but did anyone else here predict that the sacrifice would be Morgan?
  • edited December 2009
    Mermaid wrote: »
    The Voodoo Lady took it and kept it safe. She got in contact with Morgan after Guybrush entered the portal (he asks Morgan "What are you going to do?" and she then obviously was offered that job by the voodoo lady, seeing a chance to rebuild her existence / her reputation. She's the voodo lady's new tool.

But how did she get it? She was locked in jail when Morgan was killed. In fact, just about every person on Flotsam had an alibi when Morgan's body disappeared.
  • edited December 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    A little off-topic, but did anyone else here predict that the sacrifice would be Morgan?

As soon as I saw her in the afterlife. She does keep talking about how useless she is ...
    But how did she get it? She was locked in jail when Morgan was killed. In fact, just about every person on Flotsam had an alibi when Morgan's body disappeared.

Do we know that for a fact, actually? Besides, the Voodoo Lady can possess animals. Maybe she just had the treasure crabs do it? Morgan's gotta weigh less than a chest of gold.
  • edited December 2009
    Certainly Morgan has been an interesting character but I don't buy the theory that she and Guybrush are more suited to each other.
    She may have had a crush on Guybrush when she was younger but she has proved herself to be utterly selfish and mercenary where her feelings are concerned.
    I thought that being in the afterlife had changed her for the better but the end scene with the voodoo lady showed that her helping Guybrush had only been to ultimately help herself.
  • edited December 2009
    No, helping Guybrush coincidentally helped herself.

Please don't do that to Morgan :'(
  • edited December 2009
    Falanca wrote: »
    No, helping Guybrush coincidentally helped herself.

Please don't do that to Morgan :'(

You don't seriously believe that, do you? If given the choice between Guybrush and being a ghost pirate hunter, Morgan has to choose the latter. She chose her job/reputation over Guybrush more than once before.
  • edited December 2009
    fghfrghergrfh...

You guys are killing me.
  • edited December 2009
    Honestly, I don't think she met up with the Voodoo lady until after she disappeared from the sword fighting area, which was after she sacrificed her reputation for Guybrush. It was when she couldn't get out through the rip that she swore she'd find some other way. Of course whether she sacrificed her reputation because she thought doing so would get her out of the afterlife or because she wanted to help Guybrush is still debatable ...
  • edited December 2009
    The sacrifice was first. Meeting with the vodoo lady came later.

Once again proving (and demonstrating via actions unlike Elaine) that Morgan is the better girl for Guybrush.
  • edited December 2009
    Naxos wrote: »

Once again proving (and demonstrating via actions unlike Elaine) that Morgan is the better girl for Guybrush.
    Ah! but Morgan always puts whats best for HERSELF before Guybrush(it always shows in her calculating eyes too)
    Wheras Elaine always does what she sees as best for her and Guybrush.:D
  • edited December 2009

Forget that, god she was cute when she was mocking with Guybrush in her head in Lair of the Leviathan.
  • edited December 2009
    The sacrifice was first.

Morgan didn't know that she wasn't be able to use the portal. She 'sacrificed' her reputation to be able to return to the land of the living - not for Guybrush. When that fell through she made a deal with the Voodoo Lady.
  • edited December 2009
    Screw Elain...I want Mo to be Guybrush's girlfriend ;)
    I just finished ep. 5 half an hour ago...and I'm still not happy with how it might go on for Morgan.

Just hope that Telltale will put op a large scale version of Mo's tarrot card. Would love to have a Morgan-T-Shirt *hint* *hint*
  • edited December 2009
    Ah! but Morgan always puts whats best for HERSELF before Guybrush(it always shows in her calculating eyes too)
    Wheras Elaine always does what she sees as best for her and Guybrush.:D

But not in that example. There was no motive other than to provide a sacrifice for Guybrush. Elaine on the other hand, I can not trust in the slightest. The ring, come on, there is no way she planned any of that. The Vodoo Lady has even tried to warn Guybrush, but the guy is too whipped to know better.
  • edited December 2009

I did, which is why when I used the first three items, I immediately headed in Morgan's direction for the sacrifice part.
    I thought that being in the afterlife had changed her for the better but the end scene with the voodoo lady showed that her helping Guybrush had only been to ultimately help herself.

Yeah, I'm still annoyed by that sudden character change. Either she mysteriously became selfish all of a sudden or she's incredibly dumb. Even if she doesn't know what the Voodoo Lady's up to I think it would be obvious not to bring ESSENCE OF EVIL LECHUCK to a person that handles Voodoo and has Guybrush's severed hand right there with her. I mean what did Morgan think she was going to do with it, make LeChuck-flavored grog?
  • edited December 2009
    fergusdog wrote: »
    Morgan didn't know that she wasn't be able to use the portal. She 'sacrificed' her reputation to be able to return to the land of the living - not for Guybrush. When that fell through she made a deal with the Voodoo Lady.
    i think she knew very well. she just fooled guybrush into thinking she could come with him. (also she may have thought “why not try going through his portal? what bad could happen?”)
  • edited December 2009
    Maui wrote: »
    Screw Elain...I want Mo to be Guybrush's girlfriend ;)
    I just finished ep. 5 half an hour ago...and I'm still not happy with how it might go on for Morgan.

Just hope that Telltale will put op a large scale version of Mo's tarrot card. Would love to have a Morgan-T-Shirt *hint* *hint*

There is a PDF with every tarot cards in it in a thread in this forum. It has that awesome tarot card. If I'm not mistaken, there is another card with Mo' on it (although small).
  • edited December 2009
    i think she knew very well. she just fooled guybrush into thinking she could come with him. (also she may have thought “why not try going through his portal? what bad could happen?”)

I like your logic.
  • edited December 2009
    Morgan being a selfish bitch isn't any more of a character change than LeChuck being an evil villain. That she's come to somewhat enjoy Guybrush's company doesn't mean that she won't go ahead and do whatever it takes to be free and able to privateer again.
  • edited December 2009
    Personally I think it'll be more fun if Morgan simply agrees that having Guybrush as her undead husband is one of her aims, but she doesn't think she'll succeed, and certainly isn't go to force him.

Elaine won't believe her about for force. Not realising their is a major difference. Morgan actually loves Guybrush. LeChuck was obsessed.

I wouldn't say she outright loved him, i'd more say she had a crush on him and only because he was her biggest idol. Ever since Guybrush inadvertedly gave her the cold shoulder in episode 3 she made no further attempts to convey any feelings other than friendship, even after Guybrush reconciled with her.
  • edited December 2009
    Morgan being a selfish bitch isn't any more of a character change than LeChuck being an evil villain. That she's come to somewhat enjoy Guybrush's company doesn't mean that she won't go ahead and do whatever it takes to be free and able to privateer again.

If you say so, but quite frankly I'm a little annoyed that we had to waste so much time developing the friendship between them and to make Morgan seem like a kind, caring person only to have that ending for her. :| Like I said, I don't really care much for Morgan in the first place, but really.
  • edited December 2009
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    If you say so, but quite frankly I'm a little annoyed that we had to waste so much time developing the friendship between them and to make Morgan seem like a kind, caring person only to have that ending for her. :| Like I said, I don't really care much for Morgan in the first place, but really.
    Also, we really don't know the exact nature of her deal. I mean, really, the character is a privateer. By her very nature, she wants to be independent, free, and able to pursue a vast fortune. She hasn't really done ANYTHING evil, she hasn't betrayed Guybrush in any way, and she's not done anything against the line she gave Guybrush...which is basically wanting to be alive and able to continue hunting pirates(Guybrush excluded).
  • edited December 2009
    [QUOTE=PecanBlue;241102to make Morgan seem like a kind, caring person .[/QUOTE]

When did that happen? First she cuts Guybrush's hand off. Then she sells him out to DeSinge (at her first real opportunity to do so). Then she strikes a deal with the Voodoo Lady. I must have missed the kind, caring moments.
  • edited December 2009
    Gee, what about that whole "go get your wife back!" speech?
  • edited December 2009
    I want to write a story about Morgan. I think I might write about her past the way I assume it to be -- and it will be a fail story.

Who wants me to write it so that they can wish half the words in it didn't have a definition? 8D -shot-
  • edited December 2009
    fergusdog wrote: »
    When did that happen? First she cuts Guybrush's hand off. Then she sells him out to DeSinge (at her first real opportunity to do so). Then she strikes a deal with the Voodoo Lady. I must have missed the kind, caring moments.

I believe you did.

Her character had an arc that made the whole series. Best thing about the new series other than it being more Monkey Island goodness.
  • edited December 2009
    I think tomorrow I'll spend getting plastered drunk. Good?
  • edited December 2009
    wkjezz wrote: »
    Am I the only one who seems to have noticed that the voodoo lady is actually not seeming to squeeky clean with her last line, to be honest its the only time she's ever really shown any emotion. Maybe she has wanted LeChuck for an eternity to cary out her own deeds... maybe she has always been his puppet master, or maybe I am just aimlessly trying to not acknowledge how I still wish Elaine was ousted by Morgan.

One thing I will add however, is Dominic Armato's weakened voice of "Did we win" has gotta be the most humble and awsome moment ever for Guybrush.

This was exactly what I got from it as well. To me, it was obvious that The VooDoo Lady and Morgan were the villains from the outset, that LeChuck was a pawn, and that all along TVL just wanted to get her hands on LeChuck's mojo.
  • edited December 2009

I think I might have mentioned it to you but I was actually considering something like this when trying to figure out what would have to be done to appease the guardian in IWWHI^2. Ultimately I decided that having Morgan stay in the land of the (un)dead in order to allow Guybrush back into the land of the living was a bit too morbid for our game. And besides, your
    cookie
    idea was a stroke of genius. Utter nonsense. But genius nonsense. :D
  • edited December 2009
    Steverin0 wrote: »
    Morgan. If she doesn't come back to the land of the living like GT obviously will I'm gonna be pissed. She's great and adds something to the game ;)

I agree there, but I'm still concerned that her shining moment of the episode might be that she has to sacrifice herself and stay behind in order for Guybrush to be able to get back.

But Telltale wouldn't do that to us, right?

Yep.
  • edited December 2009
    i just wached my girlfriend playing the fifth episode and realized that her shred of life was indeed her independance since that was the thing she loved most in life. so she became a puppet of the voodoo lady, just like everyone else.

but morgan was the one evading this fate until the moment she gave it up for guybrush.
  • edited December 2009
    Also, we really don't know the exact nature of her deal. I mean, really, the character is a privateer. By her very nature, she wants to be independent, free, and able to pursue a vast fortune. She hasn't really done ANYTHING evil, she hasn't betrayed Guybrush in any way, and she's not done anything against the line she gave Guybrush...which is basically wanting to be alive and able to continue hunting pirates(Guybrush excluded).

I know it's up for interpretation, but I really didn't see Morgan at the end as that much of a problem in Guybrush's future. She tells you straight out that if she get another
    chance to hunt pirates she'll do it except for Guybrush. And it's not like Guybrush took away her reputation or her physical essence. She willingly helped you out. Yes she could have done that just to use you to get Lechuck's body, but she actually sounded scared to me when you go to throw your last link to the mortal realm away. I'd like to think Morgan's something more than a static character with one objective in mind.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.