What are your thoughts?

From what what we know so far, of course. I kind of think that the game looks a bit like Layton, but others have refuted this. I like the idea of this being a pilot, and a season will follow if succesful.
P.S. First origanal thread in this forum made by a non-telltalian! WOO!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I've always wanted to play prof. layton, but don't have a ds, so yeah, i like the idea
  • edited April 2010
    I think that this is an interesting idea. It's like a suspense horror version of Prof. Layton. I wonder what will be the fate of our (sort of) beloved Nelson Tethers.:confused:
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Strong Max wrote: »
    I like the idea of this being a pilot, and a season will follow if succesful.
    I love this idea! It gives Telltale the chance to take chances with quirky concepts. :)

Which this game definitely seems to fit the bill. ;)

I love Graham Annable's stuff. I enjoy watching the Grickle videos and I'm addicted to his Dunk and Dank webcomics, so I'm really excited for this. :D
  • edited April 2010
    Also, I was thinking that if the game continues as a series, it might take different aspects from different grickle pieces, not just The Hidden People.
  • edited April 2010
    Its looks fun fun. I love the creepy mysterious atmosphere. Hope the difficulty rises from previous games and also the length.

'The Mystery of Scoggins' seemed to me like a more suitable title than the rather flat and generic "Puzzle Agent" but thats not my problem.

I hope people can still see the weirdness through that title.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Its looks fun fun. I love the creepy mysterious atmosphere. Hope the difficulty rises from previous games and also the length.

'The Mystery of Scoggins' seemed to me like a more suitable title than the rather flat and generic "Puzzle Agent" but thats not my problem.

I hope people can still see the weirdness through that title.
    I agree. I don't mind Puzzle Agent, but I liked The Mystery of Scoggins better. Maybe Puzzle Agent: The Mystery of Scoggins would be a good compromise? :)
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe Puzzle Agent is the title for the series if it's picked up, and The Mystery of Scoggins is the pilot's name?
  • edited April 2010
    I'm loving this game's concept so far. But is it called Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent, or just Puzzle Agent? The former makes it sound a tad more interesting.
  • edited April 2010
    The Full name is the former ^^!

But, to be fair, I didn't like either The Devil's Playhouse until I saw the logo.

I'll wait.
  • edited April 2010
    My thoughts: If TTG is working on this, who's doing the PS3 editions of ToMI, W&G and Sam & Max seasons 1 & 2?
  • edited April 2010
    I'm excited. The bits I've seen are like Fargo and, according to a friend, Twin Peaks (never seen it). I honestly got a Dashiell Hammett/Yiddish Policemen's Union vibe off of it. I know that's weird, but that's what I got. And I couldn't help but think of Blood Simple.

All in all, I don't care what it is as long as it's good. Stoked!
  • edited April 2010
    I think the title is stupid.

The Layton games are some of the best DS games out there, but the storyline is ridiculous every time. The plot is explained by making the entire population robots, or the whole last 6 hours of the game were actually a hallucination caused by some random gas they inhaled, and the third one has time travel and immortality, so I'm expecting something random.

I haven't seen any gameplay clips, but the art style and the music look and sound great. I love the atmosphere that I've seen, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm intrigued about the gameplay, but I'm also a little cautious. Layton covered most of the basic brainteasers, there aren't that many common puzzles left that layton hasn't already covered. But Telltale are smart, they know what they're doing, and I have confidence that this game will be awesome!

Even though the title is silly.
  • edited April 2010
    In a brief interview with Kotaku Mark Darin told them exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone official:
    While the Tethers gameplay style may seem close to that of the Nintendo and Level 5 Layton games, Darin believes that a distinguishing factor will be the integration of the puzzles into the fiction. "We're really trying to hard to make sure all the puzzles you encounter in the world feel connected," he said. "Sometimes Professor Layton has a disconnect between the puzzles and the world. We're trying to close that gap as much as possible."
    With that, this game has just moved into instant preorder for me.
  • edited May 2010
    First my more general thoughts as I understand this has been announced as part of a pilot program for original IPs:

Great news. I've been clamouring for Telltale to have a go at an original IP since the second season of Sam and Max began. Pilots are a great idea as well as it means they wont waste their time churning out a series that doesn't quite capture the imagination.

Hopefully they stick with the more comedic route although it would be quite interesting to see what they come up with if they try for a more serious feel. Personally I think their games will suffer if they do (in my mind they are better at witty one liners and clever puzzles than crafting a gripping plot) but I'd quite happily be proved wrong.

----

As for the announced game - I love dark comedy so if it pulls it off it could be fantastic. The art style isn't entirely my cup of milk (it's well drawn and by no means ugly, this is just a subjective opinion on my part) but I'll happily look past it if there is some good comedy and puzzles and a half decent story.

Colour me optimistic.
  • edited May 2010
    The 4th May will be here soon and then they'll tell us more and maybe even allow us to pre order... Or is that a little too hopeful?
  • edited May 2010
    I think they're more than capable of making gripping plots. One of the most important elements of making a great plot is creating characters the audience cares about, and they've done that time and time again. Mark Darin is no stranger to the (ridiculous) Noir/detective genre, either.
  • edited May 2010
    I think I'll be sitting this one out. It's just not my style; nothing about it, from graphics design to gameplay. Story might be good, though. I don't know, it just feels like step back for Telltale. I know it's way too early to really judge that, so it's only a personal feeling. As things evolve, I might change my mind.
  • edited May 2010
    The Mystery of Scoggins sounds fine and mysterious. Puzzle Agent sounds displaced and boring but as long as the game is good...still, awful name. It's like you know a wonderful woman but with a name like Gertrud, i mean...
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    The Mystery of Scoggins sounds fine and mysterious. Puzzle Agent sounds displaced and boring but as long as the game is good...still, awful name. It's like you know a wonderful woman but with a name like Gertrud, i mean...

Considering the name of this section of the board is called: "Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent", I'm betting that will be the name, not just "Puzzle Agent."

Also, since this is a pilot, the name would be something that can be used in an ongoing series. I could very well see "The Mystery of Scoggins" being the subtitle, like this:
    Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent
    in
    The Mystery of Scoggins
  • edited May 2010
    The Nelson Tethers doesn't make it any better, nor does the colon. :O)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    I have to say I'm not a fan of the name either. "Puzzle Agent" is too generic, too prosaic. I'm still thinking of this game as "Scoggins" because that name sticks in the mind, it's something unique that piques interest.

I hope that if this picked up for a full season, they'll find a better name.
  • edited May 2010
    Nelson Tethers
    in
    The Mystery of Scoggins
  • edited May 2010
    I like "Puzzle Agent". It's clear and simple, and it gets the nature of the game out at a glance for any customers that are just glancing at it in a store rather than obsessing over every morsel of information deigned ready for the public eye. Some might say that's boring, but some are stinky poo-heads.
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe i don't want it clear, simple and written right in front of my head in huge loud letters. Maybe i prefer a name which inspires my fantasy, where i have to think a bit more outside the box and where i can read something between the lines?!

No, i'm with the UK diver on this one.
  • edited May 2010
    The Problem of the "Mystery of Scoggins" is the title is tied to an Event, instead of been tied of what to do. Puzzle Agent is tied, in a way, to Nelson. And Nelson can go to other places instead of only Scoggins.

In a way, they are doing the title to become a Series instead of just a one shot. Which says a lot about those guys

(By the way, I don't really like the name either, but I can understand why it's there. Appart, we become used to call it "The Mystery of Scoggins" and a change is always weird at first. If you still dislike the name after a month, we can talk about that. But now it's way too soon. In fact, I'm starting to become neutral about the name.)
  • edited May 2010
    I wonder why they picked the name Nelson Tethers anyway. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton or pretty much any well-known character with their name in their title.
  • edited May 2010
    Hey! I took like 3 months to say (with sound) Phoenix Wright! It's not like it's easy to say! (Natural Spanish. Ok).
  • edited May 2010
    And people think I dwell on minutia.
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    a change is always weird at first.

It's not really a change. It's more of a correction to what we assumed the title would be based on the teaser.

I don't like the generic "Puzzle Agent," but I kind of like "Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent," mainly because of the way I hear it being announced in my head.
  • edited May 2010
    No, i'm with the UK diver on this one.

Now I think about it, Puzzlebox is from Australia.
    edited May 2010
    Now I think about it, Puzzlebox is from Australia.

I can't dive either. :D
  • edited May 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I can't dive either. :D
    Huh. I can. NAUI certified for recreational diving. No technical diving or instructor certification, though. It doesn't generally take long at all(like, not much longer than a weekend), it's really just a cost issue.
  • edited May 2010
    Huh. I can. NAUI certified for recreational diving. No technical diving or instructor certification, though. It doesn't generally take long at all(like, not much longer than a weekend), it's really just a cost issue.

If you are from UK, Taumel's comment just backfired.
  • edited May 2010
    If you are from UK, Taumel's comment just backfired.
    Haha, I'm not. United States, hence the arrogance.
  • edited May 2010
    @puzzlebox
    Well, then at least you're offering some interesting misleading information with your avatar. :O)
    edited May 2010
    Haha, I'm not. United States, hence the arrogance.

Arrogant men can be found in all corners of the globe, Dashing - but you do make an excellent case for the U.S. ;)
    @puzzlebox
    Well, then at least you're offering some interesting misleading information with your avatar. :O)

It's a snorkel. Anyone can do that, but you need to take a course to dive with oxygen. :)
  • edited May 2010
    It's a snorkel. Anyone can do that, but you need to take a course to dive with oxygen. :)
    When i was in Egypt i a.o. attended a course to snorkel and dive in the red sea. First thing people wanted me to taking part was to snorklel. l was scared due to all those sea urchin, lion fishes, jelly fishes, clown fishes and many otehr lifeforms all around me. Calm down taumel, think about it, it's you they should be afraid of, so, hah, just enjoy those wonderful colours all around you.

Then after some time i got more adventerous again and took my own route across the riff a little bit away from the others. I was happily enjoying myself until i got more away from the riff were i was trying to look deep down into the sea when suddenly something big and white shaped up from below. If thought, okay that's it, you and your stupid adventures, why didn't you stay with the others, this must be a shark.

It came so quickly towards me that i was kind of paralysed, just staring at it, getting bigger and bigger. Then after a few seconds i realised that this wasn't a shark. Instead it was one fat diver in a white swimsuit, hey heart, you can continue bumping again. I still stared at the diver considering the possibilities and how weird this situation was, oh and i safely returned to the beach, at least physically.
  • edited May 2010
    Arrogant men can be found in all corners of the globe, Dashing - but you do make an excellent case for the U.S. ;)
    In the defense of the US as a collective whole, it may just be my upbringing in New York...though that's what I usually use to explain my hostility, inability to hold back any opinion(no matter how derisive), and my love of bagels.

Ah, New Yorkers. :)
  • edited May 2010
    In the defense of the US as a collective whole, it may just be my upbringing in New York...though that's what I usually use to explain my hostility, inability to hold back any opinion(no matter how derisive), and my love of bagels.

Ah, New Yorkers. :)
    I also was once in New York. Problem was that all our luggage, we were coming from Canada, was sent to Casablanca and we had to stay there for some time until our stuff returned, so with only a few dollars left in your pockets we lived in the cheaper surburbs for a few days. Only a few white around us, we a.o. made it out of one gun fighting and somehow our New York trip was a completely different experience than we intended it to be.

Wasn't it Dennis Leary who once said New York teaches you to life from moment to moment, from street to street?! We looked pretty shabby and dangerous on our own when our luggage, which they obviously didn't send straight back to New York finally arrived. Interestingly we had less problems with this outfit in the surburbs but then in Manhatten. :O)
  • edited May 2010
    I think "Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent" is supposed to be in the vein of "Sam Spade: Private Investigator" and Remington Steele, Guy with Two Last Names for Names. Only Nelson Tethers is kind of a dorky name (and kind of a dorky guy as well, I'm guessing) so it's funny. I'm guessing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.