What are your thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I don't know if this is the best direction to go in; people are expecting licensed episodic adventure games, if this is veered away from you could wind up with angry and confused customers. Even some forum regulars are a bit confused with this set up.

You have the market for this fomula cornered, if you start jumping around people may think you lost focus...

Maybe not; I am just trying to play devil's advocate a bit.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Grickle's been a part of the company since its founding. It's kind of weird, but in a way Grickle is to Telltale what Sam & Max was to LucasArts -- it's one of those things that's sort of always been around the studio, so for us it made a lot of sense to go there for a project like this.

Also, if you really want to get down to it, our first game was a comedy poker game, so this is closer to the "core" people are now familiar with than some of our stuff :P
  • edited May 2010
    I'm surprised that someone that joined the forums before I did made that post. A Grickle game doesn't belong at Telltale? I might have expected as much from someone that came in with Tales of Monkey Island, but I'm pretty sure a Grickle/Dunk game has been clamored for in the community for some time.
  • edited May 2010
    And people think I dwell on minutia.
    minutiae.
  • edited May 2010
    Sort of off-topic, but I'm liking Mark Darin's mutton chop facial hair, haha!

markdarin.png

Sorta reminds me of Motorhead's frontman Lemmy...

1bzzrd83.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    I will definitely be buying this game, I'm just consider how I'm going to use the 50%-off deal first. I haven't even watched all of the Grickle videos or read all of the comics - in fact I've watched and read almost none - but I've gotten a taste of each and I already love the style, so I'm a certain buyer.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm not saying the problem is with the subject, more with the way it is planned on being sold.
    Actually, will this game be longer than, say, an episode of any other series? It being standalone...

Damn, I'm really far behind on reading Dunk, I need to catch up D:
  • edited May 2010
    Honestly i was a bit dissapointed this morning because I thought that we would get the game already. Ah well...

Taumel, TTG related waiting for

1) Sam&Max E2
    2) Gricklegame
    3) The preordered package due to TOMI DVD.

This waiting thing is meant to be part of the game, right? :O)
  • edited May 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    minutiae.
    HAHAHA irony. :D
    Zootch wrote: »
    I'm not saying the problem is with the subject, more with the way it is planned on being sold.
    Do you object to the 50% off coupon that essentially makes the game free with any $20 purchase, or the fact that it's sold as only one episode so that Telltale can afford to try more risky and innovative ideas?
    taumel wrote: »
    Honestly i was a bit dissapointed this morning because I thought that we would get the game already. Ah well...
    You shouldn't have been, that's really your mistake. Not to be mean, but the press over at IGN and other sites said June, the leaked survey said June, and the main site said "Learn More On May 4th", not "Buy It May 4th". Telltale's games generally have a pre-order period.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't read IGN and my thinking was, surprise=pilot and the rest of the game afterwards. But what do you expect from a grickle fan?!

Beside of this i don't think you're mean, just kind of stubborn and naiv game arts related. ;O)
  • edited May 2010
    Please, please, I'd prefer to be called WRONG over being called naive. =P
  • edited May 2010
    Ahhh, i'm not sure if i should change this, thinking... :O)
    edited May 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Sort of off-topic, but I'm liking Mark Darin's mutton chop facial hair, haha!

Sorta reminds me of Motorhead's frontman Lemmy...

Maybe he's going for the Van Winslow.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Maybe he's going for the Van Winslow.

Attachment not found.

<3 u mr darin sir
  • edited May 2010
    I can't help but think this would have been ripe for a DS game. As the creators themselves say they've drawn inspiration (and by the look of it by inspiration they mean, we've made a creepier story but we're using the same game mechanics) from Professor Layton which is probably why i think it would work better on DS than on PC (actually this will probably sell best on the IPad/Iphone). For $10 i'm gonna give it a go though.
  • edited May 2010
    reginaldvandarinscoggin.png
    "I like it when you point at the map, sir. But where's the best place to point?"

Sorry mister Darin and Puzzlebox.
    Also, bad shop, I know. I'm not the image editing wizard Laserschwert or Irishmile is.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2010
    Awwww... I love you guys! :)
  • edited May 2010
    I was hoping for a DS game too. Maybe Telltale haven't yet got the software to develop it for the DS, but are contimplating it for the near future. That'd be nice... *begins dreaming of possibilities*
  • edited May 2010
    You guys caught me by surprise. I adore the Professor Layton series. Now you're combining that style of gameplay with Grickle in a setting that seems absolutely fantastic? I hope it manages to be as unique as the Grickle shorts.

I preordered. Eager to see how it turns out. :)
  • edited May 2010
    moronic50 wrote: »
    I can't help but think this would have been ripe for a DS game. As the creators themselves say they've drawn inspiration (and by the look of it by inspiration they mean, we've made a creepier story but we're using the same game mechanics) from Professor Layton which is probably why i think it would work better on DS than on PC (actually this will probably sell best on the IPad/Iphone). For $10 i'm gonna give it a go though.

It's hard to be episodic on the DS. They might release the game for the DS after the whole game is completed.
  • edited May 2010
    My first thoughts:
    Interesting setting, a good fit for stories I'd like to be told.

My second thoughts:
    How will those puzzles fit into the story? Will there be dialogues and cutscenes? Are story and characters still top priority? What is the gameplay like? Is there a video coming showing those elements to help me decide to buy or not to buy?
  • edited May 2010
    Btw, will it be point&click? :O)

And from the gfx, will it be 2d or more 2dish in 3d?
  • edited May 2010
    Since it runs in the standard Telltale engine it's most likely 3D looking like 2D...
    edited May 2010
    This is what Jake had to say about the number of D's involved:
    It's a mix :) environments are a mix of 2 and 3 D's, characters are Hand drawn and animated by Graham and our choreographers.
  • edited May 2010
    This looks like it could be a lot of fun. I'm sure it will have that great Telltale Games charm, just like the other awesome Telltale games. :D

One thing though, Telltale... Please, I beg of you... NO SLIDING PUZZLES!!!!! You all know what I'm talking about.

unbranded-puzzle-sliding-numbers.jpg

I've always hated these things, and they are even worse in adventure games! They always bring the game to an abrupt stop for me, and I never get past them! They feel like such a cheap trick for developers to just throw into adventure games when they don't know what type of puzzle/riddle/quest/plot device/whatever to use next.

So again, please Telltale, do NOT put sliding puzzles in this game! You're too good to rely on such a cheap trick. :D
  • edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure they've already decided on the puzzles.

For what it's worth, I hate sliding puzzles too. I pretty much always finish them, but out of luck, not out of cleverness. Basically, I slide stuff in every way for long enough and it ends up being the right combination at some point.

I think that kind of puzzle wouldn't be out of place in a game full of mini self-contained puzzles, though.
  • edited May 2010
    axelkothe wrote: »
    Since it runs in the standard Telltale engine it's most likely 3D looking like 2D...

Well, a orthographic Camera, a Sprite manager, some functionality for the interaction beeing added and voila 2D. :O)
  • edited May 2010
    My second thoughts:
    How will those puzzles fit into the story? Will there be dialogues and cutscenes? Are story and characters still top priority? What is the gameplay like? Is there a video coming showing those elements to help me decide to buy or not to buy?
    Some of these are answered. We can see speech bubbles in some of the screenshots, so there is dialog. Whether or not that dialog is voiced or not is somewhat of a question, but I'm guessing it's not voiced(I think it would be weird to have a word bubble and have those words get spoken). They said that they're trying to combine their story-telling and characterization to a puzzle structure similar to the Layton games. Telltale have provided us with some material on puzzle set-up, so let's use those:

1. Setup

2. Puzzle

3. Rating

SO. The puzzles are all self-contained, and they might be a bit more abstract from the plot(or rather, the plot may lampshade the puzzles a bit) because everyone in the town has become obsessed with puzzle-solving. The Hidden People showing up randomly on the pages hints at a bigger plot involving them, though, and the character of Nelson Tethers seems to be important too(as in, the characterization of him and his little story arc).

We've also heard a little about gameplay. For instance, Nelson Tethers won't be controlled, really. That is, you won't drive him around, by means of point and click or direct control. He'll sort of idle on a screen, and you'll have things to interact with, and when you're done interacting Nelson Tethers will go back to his idling spot(I don't remember where I saw this posted, but it was in the Puzzle Agent subforum). We also see that, at least in-puzzle, people to talk to(maybe "puzzle elements"?) have a red dot next to them.

Gamespot has a short cutscene here.
  • edited May 2010
    Sliding puzzles are easy and I never understand the hate for them. Here's a very simple guide on how to solve every single MxN sliding puzzle in the world:

http://quazen.com/games/the-easy-way-to-complete-sliding-tile-puzzles/

I'll write a brief summary:
    1. Always start from a single row at any end of the puzzle. Easiest thing to do is start from the top row and work yourself down.
    2. First put all but the last corner block of a row in place, starting from the other corner. This will always be possible without messing with blocks that you have already set to place.
    3. The final piece of a row is a bit more tricky, you can figure it out yourself or check the solution from that guide. (it's not really *that* that tricky...)
    4. The last two rows will require a different approach, but at that point you have most of the puzzle complete and might be able to do it by yourself. Or check the guide above again. :)
  • edited May 2010
    I remember reading somewhere that the inhabitants of Scoggins got paralysed while accomplishing everyday tasks. Maybe the puzzles are going to be related to reconstructing what they were doing right before they were paralysed. That would make the arm wrestling thing fit with the story.
    Just conjecture, though.
  • edited May 2010
    No matter how easy they might be, i don't like them (those sliding Things).
  • edited May 2010
    Can't comment on the story yet but it looks promising.And I loved the screen shots and Mr.Graham's artwork so far.
    How are you gonna make it look 3D? are you gonna use the technique you used in SBCG4AP?I haven't seen the video yet, I'd better check it out.
    And I love the "Puzzle Agent"'s web-page design :) Was it Mr Graham's work or your's, Jake?[if you're reading this]

it being set in Minnesota reminds me of a great movie I saw recently from Coen Brothers, Fargo.

I've been thinking it would be great if you guys in TellTale put some references for it.I'm a reference finder nerd and I really enjoy them:D I love finding references in movies and games.

Also, is there gonna be Minnesota accent in it? you know , Yah? No? Oh, Jeez :D
    I'm not ridiculing the accent, what I mean is, I love to hear it thorough the game.

EDIT:I just saw Jake's answer that whether the game will be 3D or 2D.Mixing them up kinda reminds me of Sam and Max Reality 2.0 where we get to be 2D in 3D environment.
    and I read some few post from the first page, So you guys think it's like Fargo too huh? :)
  • edited May 2010
    I admit, I really intrested in the game, mainly for the puzzle game play. I like the Prof. Layton games, I even played the PS3 title 'Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle'. I admit, it was rough going at first (I'm not as good at the puzzles as I thought I was...), but the game is growing on me, gets better each time I play it.

I imagine this next game will be the same way; kinda strange when you start, but you get more comfortable as you progress. I'm also really impressed with the art style of the game. When they had a comparison shot of the concept drawing and the final game shot...I almost couldn't tell the difference.

I'll give this game a shot...afterall its from Telltale, so I know it will be good.
  • edited May 2010
    Linque wrote: »
    It's hard to be episodic on the DS. They might release the game for the DS after the whole game is completed.

They could have used DSIware the same way as Wiiware. That would allow for episodic releases.
  • edited May 2010
    DSiWare would be pretty difficult, seeing as it allows for even less room for the game than WiiWare.

But this is becoming my most wanted game very quickly. I really hope this is made into a series, because I love mysteries and this game is shaping up to be awesome.
  • edited May 2010
    BadStrong wrote: »
    DSiWare would be pretty difficult, seeing as it allows for even less room for the game than WiiWare.

I agree that the dual screen might take a bit of extra thinking, but personally I wouldn't mind it all on one screen. I think it's big enough for the game. The Iphone is so why not the DS? Still, this doesn't change the fact that it's not coming out on the DS, so I'll stop ranting.:p
  • edited May 2010
    Does any one know if the pilot program will solely be for in house projects or will it be a publishing platform? It would be cool if people could pitch ideas to Telltale and if they like it you could make a pilot for the game
    edited May 2010
    Steky wrote: »
    Does any one know if the pilot program will solely be for in house projects or will it be a publishing platform? It would be cool if people could pitch ideas to Telltale and if they like it you could make a pilot for the game

I think they'll make it up as they go along. :p

In all seriousness, it sounds likely that at some point in the future they'll be open to approaches where the IP has an established fan base. From a recent G4tv interview with Dan Connors:
    G4: One of the things that happens in the TV model is it's not necessarily all produced internally -- pilots can be outsources, ideas can come from the outside. Is the Pilot Program something that could possibly expand outside of Telltale?

Connors: Oh, yeah. That's definitely part of our growth plan so we go from a huge operation to a mega-huge operation. Definitely, I think that's something [we could do]. We've got a channel, we've got a infrastructure to support product coming through, so it may be something where we look for partners to work on something and maybe something where somebody is incubating an idea or a concept that's just a really cool franchise and has an installed base and taking a shot in the interactive world makes sense and it makes sense to us, so it might be that kind of thing.

That interview is well worth a read if you're curious about the pilot program.
    edited May 2010
    Steky wrote: »

I don't think we are entirely sure. There are a few ideas kicking around the office which I imagine will get priority, but if things go well who knows what direction things could go. As of this moment there aren't immediate plans to start soliciting outside story pitches or design docs, though, so don't send us anything! We'd be legally obligated to destroy it without reading it, so you don't sue us for stealing it. :) ... :( :)
  • edited May 2010
    don't send us anything! We'd be legally obligated to destroy it

Eek! I'm glad that doesn't apply to knit stuff :eek:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.