'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• edited April 2010
    YAY.

No really, YAY.
  • edited April 2010
    So it IS their first Pilot game.

I really like what I'm seeing already. The idea that it's based more on self-contained puzzles gives me hope that this one will have better brain-teasers than the average Telltale adventure.
  • edited April 2010
    Glad to see the Pilot Program is happening.

Even more glad to see this confirmed on PC!

EDIT: Game video clip on 1UP: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179064
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    I'm excited about this, not just Puzzle Agent but the Pilot Program in general. I like that Telltale is looking for ways to be experimental and innovative without putting too much on the line at the outset - I really hope this approach works out for them.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder how many of these pilots they'll make, but I'm super-happy that they seem to be making them as self-contained stories (if I'm reading the article right) rather that a first episode that would only get the rest of its story if it's successful enough.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these pilots they'll make

I guess it will at least partially depend on the success (or otherwise) of the first few tries?
    Wapcaplet wrote: »

Thanks for the link - it looks very cool! Certainly different to any of the Telltale games I've played. Hurry up, June... :p
  • edited April 2010
    Wow! this looks great. And it's going to be on a lot of platforms, which should make everyone happy.
    Except for the iPad users that can't see the flash teaser, but that's just a teaser.
  • edited April 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Hurry up, June... :p

HEY! First has to come May and the Sam and Max episode!

(But I'm totally getting your feeling, man..)
  • edited April 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I guess it will at least partially depend on the success (or otherwise) of the first few tries?

Yeah, this is not only a pilot, but a pilot of pilots...

Also, official descriptions of this game seem to use the word "puzzle" slightly more than once per sentence, which makes me worry it will get old as fast as it did in Professor Layton. My first thought was that the game would have to really prove itself unique in order to compete with Layton, but I guess since it's coming to a bunch of systems where Layton is not available, then it could just use that similarity as a selling point.

I hope they make a demo version for the iPod Touch, so that I can see firsthand how it plays before deciding between that and the PC version.
  • edited April 2010
    This game looks awesome. I love the style, the music, and the overall concept so far. I will definitely get this "pilot," and I can't wait to see what else they come up with. :)
  • edited April 2010
    The problem with the first Layton game (which was almost entirely fixed in the second) was that the puzzles uually had nothing to do with actual story events. Since one of the puzzles is about a regular Scoggins event, it looks like Telltale is taking care to integrate puzzles with the story. No more "This reminds me of a puzzle" crap!
  • edited April 2010
    I am becoming very excited for this--creepy adventure/puzzle game=awesome!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010

Me: ooo a video! I wonder what they posted?!

....oh wait, *I* recorded this video. Right. I'm dumb.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh... and according to the gamespot preview the game will also release on the ipod touch and the ipad along with PC and Wii!
  • edited April 2010

I feel a strong urge to squee like a fangirl. Must... resist... urge...

Squeeeee!
  • edited April 2010
    I love that gameplay clip. It's great that Telltale is prepared to take weird chances like this, with weird new styles - both in animation/graphic design and in puzzle design. They even seem to have got the way Grickle uses colours and timing right. And if the Pilot Program is used to experiment with weirder franchises and styles, I can't wait to see what else they have in store.

This is going to be sweet. Bring it on!

Edit: I also wonder who's working on this. Right now there's basically one writer for each episode (with a bit of overlap) and a lead writer. But because it's a single episode they might go back to the old Sam & Max Season 1/Season 2 method, where there were a whole bunch of writers/designers working on each episode. I think there are quite a lot of writer/designers that aren't doing anything with Sam & Max (like Mark Darin or Famous). Of course, they might already be working on other games for the Pilot Program.
  • edited April 2010
    Looks like I'm the only one not hyped up about this.

Guess it's just not my type of game, though I do applaud the development by Telltale from a business perspective.
  • edited April 2010
    Though the idea of solving little puzzles ala Professor Layton doesn't particularly appeal to me, I like the concept and the world is interesting. I'm getting a Fargo/Dashiell Hammett vibe off of it, partially because of obvious reasons, partially because of others. It makes me wish for an adventure game where you were a real detective out to find clues and solve a real case. That could be loads of fun.

But, still. From the looks of things, I'll like it and, obviously, I'm buying it. I just don't see myself enjoying mini-game puzzles-style gameplay.
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    *snipped*
    Edit: I also wonder who's working on this. Right now there's basically one writer for each episode (with a bit of overlap) and a lead writer. But because it's a single episode they might go back to the old Sam & Max Season 1/Season 2 method, where there were a whole bunch of writers/designers working on each episode. I think there are quite a lot of writer/designers that aren't doing anything with Sam & Max (like Mark Darin or Famous). Of course, they might already be working on other games for the Pilot Program.

I'm guessing it's Famous, if only because Mark Darin had his hands full with Tales of Monkey Island four months ago. Also maybe John Drake?
  • edited April 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's Famous, if only because Mark Darin had his hands full with Tales of Monkey Island four months ago. Also maybe John Drake?

Don't forget Vanaman!
  • edited April 2010
    Well I was already stoked for this game before so I guess that means that I'm uber excited! I can't wait to give this game a try and also see what else Telltale has instore with their other pilots. :) I think it's great to see that Telltale is willing to take a risk both with their stories as well as with their gameplay and if "Puzzle Agent" is any indication their future pilots will be just that.
  • edited April 2010
    Don't forget Vanaman!

Vanaman is Famous. Hee. Listen to this podcast.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Mark Darin is the design lead.

Working with Mr Famous Vanaman.

Dave Grossman's involvement has also been key, particularly in the early conception phases.

Not to mention Graham's significant role.

More info on the project coming very soon.

- Joel
  • edited April 2010
    I am so stoked for this!
  • edited April 2010
    I really, really can't wait. Can this be considered as an original telltale IP?
  • edited April 2010
    Interesting. I loved the gameplay clip. But I'm not sold on the gameplay yet. I'll need to try a demo. I have high hopes/expectations, though.
  • edited April 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Can this be considered as an original telltale IP?

Since the art style and characters are owned by Graham Annable, no, not really.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Much of the game concept's been jointly developed with Telltale and Graham.

Graham brought central ideas to Telltale, and folks here have been collaborating with him on key portions of the game. The look and feel is very much Graham of course!

It's a great re-union! (Some / many of you may know that Graham was Telltale's first art director when the company started).
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry for being so thick, but what is a pilot program? Does it mean it is the first in a long line of Grickle games to come? Or is this a one off? I got myself confused...
  • jmmjmm
    edited April 2010
    It's like a TV Series/Program Pilot:
    It's a one time only thing that if it is successful, it may be picked for additional episodes or seasons
  • edited April 2010
    Ahhhhhhhhh! Thanks jmm. I've never been too good with terminology.:p
  • edited April 2010
    Ooh, now we have our own forum for discussing this! Yay!
  • edited April 2010
    Ohhh... so here's this thread!
  • edited April 2010
    So, I assume it's still made in the good ol' Telltale Tool?

If so, that's one impressive piece of software.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    So, I assume it's still made in the good ol' Telltale Tool?

If so, that's one impressive piece of software.

Yep same tool as always:) There are some nice new tricks at work in the modeling of the environments to keep the Grickle look going.
  • edited April 2010
    Wait, are you saying this is still all 3d-rendered in realtime? That entire gameplay vid is real-time rendered? If true that's absurdly impressive. I was really convinced you were going 2d on this one.
  • edited April 2010
    I remember the first time that I heard "That's the pilot" was for Quantum Leap, and in the first episode he's a pilot.
    So I failed to understand it meant anything else.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying this is still all 3d-rendered in realtime? That entire gameplay vid is real-time rendered? If true that's absurdly impressive. I was really convinced you were going 2d on this one.

It's a mix :) environments are a mix of 2 and 3 D's, characters are Hand drawn and animated by Graham and our choreographers.
  • edited April 2010
    Wait... So it's not 2D? :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.