'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I remember the first time that I heard "That's the pilot" was for Quantum Leap, and in the first episode he's a pilot.
    So I failed to understand it meant anything else.

So the pilot episode was a "Pilot" episode... Sweet.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    It's a mix :) environments are a mix of 2 and 3 D's, characters are Hand drawn and animated by Graham and our choreographers.

woah.

EFFORT. also, that's one heck of a dev tool you guys got.
  • edited April 2010
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    So the pilot episode was a "Pilot" episode... Sweet.

the puzzle agent pilot is a pilot for the telltale pilot project.
    PILOT OVERLOAD
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    the puzzle agent pilot is a pilot for the telltale pilot project.
    PILOT OVERLOAD
    Maybe one of the professions of the people Nelson will meet in Scoggins, Minnesota will be a pilot.
  • edited April 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Maybe one of the professions of the people Nelson will meet in Scoggins, Minnesota will be a pilot.

maybe Nelson used to be a pilot. that would be funny.
  • edited April 2010
    Layton-esque? It's great to here you guys are trying something new. My mum'll love it on her new iphone! And she usually can't do the puzzles, so i'll end up doing it!
  • edited April 2010
    BTW, how do you control Nelson?
    I don't think we're talking click 'n' drag or WASD here.
    Thinking about it, I guess we won't actually be moving him around. If it's like Layton, you don't control the characters' actual movements.
    Hmmmm...
  • edited April 2010
    It says on gamespot that its gonna be on WiiWare. Yay!

Theres also some pretty good screens, including a map.
  • edited April 2010
    What about DSIware? Does it say anything about that? I'd love a Telltale game to be launched for the DS. It's my favourite console! Followed closely by the PC of course...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Diduz wrote: »
    BTW, how do you control Nelson?
    I don't think we're talking click 'n' drag or WASD here.
    Thinking about it, I guess we won't actually be moving him around. If it's like Layton, you don't control the characters' actual movements.
    Hmmmm...

Like Layton or Phoenix Wright, there are objects in the scene Nelson can interact with, but he goes over there on his own once a hotspot is clicked, then goes back to idling around somewhere in the scene.
  • edited April 2010
    Some snippet from http://kotaku.com/5528399/nelson-tethers-could-be-gamings-fargo-a-wintry-black-comedy :

M.Darin:
    "The goal of this game is to merge with a Profesor Layton type of experience of solving brain teaser puzzles with a Telltale storytelling sensibility"
    "We're really trying to hard to make sure all the puzzles you encounter in the world feel connected," he said. "Sometimes Professor Layton has a disconnect between the puzzles and the world. We're trying to close that gap as much as possible."

WOW! ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Like Layton or Phoenix Wright, there are objects in the scene Nelson can interact with, but he goes over there on his own once a hotspot is clicked, then goes back to idling around somewhere in the scene.

Just what I imagined...
    and just what I think you should adopt for every game you do!!! :D

Thanks!
  • edited April 2010
    I'm wanting it more and more!
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I guess Telltale's getting ten more dollars from me. This looks excellent!
  • edited April 2010
    Gamespot said (http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/puzzleagent/news.html?sid=6260802&mode=previews):
    Puzzle Agent will be available this June on WiiWare and the PC, as well as the iPhone and iPad. Preorders will be available.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    M.Darin:
    "The goal of this game is to merge with a Profesor Layton type of experience of solving brain teaser puzzles with a Telltale storytelling sensibility"
    "We're really trying to hard to make sure all the puzzles you encounter in the world feel connected," he said. "Sometimes Professor Layton has a disconnect between the puzzles and the world. We're trying to close that gap as much as possible."

The yawning chasm between puzzles and story is, in my eyes, a fairly major flaw in the Layton games. So this is pretty much exactly what I wanted and expected to see from Scoggins. :)
  • edited April 2010
    (Did I just read it's point and click?)
  • edited April 2010

no, its just click. or tap. or press.
    oh yeah, nobody expected the wiiware platform to be on the list.

and yeah, i owe whoever called "its gonna be on iPad" some imagination-bux.:o
  • edited April 2010
    Should also be on DSiWare....not that I care as I don't have a DSi, but it seems perfect for it if it's also on iPod/iPhone/iPad.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm extremely excited for this game. I love Telltale, I love Professor Layton, and I love Phoenix Wright, so this game should be an instant favorite for me.
  • edited April 2010

le gasp!
    You used the P and C words!
  • Pilfering Carpetbaggers?
  • edited April 2010
    Pilfering Carpetbaggers?

No, popcorn chicken
  • edited April 2010
    Only to the same extent that Sam and Max 3 and ToMI are point and click, but the difference is that instead of direct control of the character, there's no control over the character at all, just click stuff to interact. Makes sense for a screen-by-scene game design like this.
    Wait... So it's not 2D? :(

Assuming that this is a real screen shot and not a mock-up, I think that this game serves as an example of the "the distinction between 2D and 3D is meaningless" argument. If it's just a mock-up then I guess we'll have to wait and see, but as long as it looks like that stylistically, I don't see a problem.
    Should also be on DSiWare....not that I care as I don't have a DSi, but it seems perfect for it if it's also on iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Since it's sort of riffing off the Professor Layton gameplay, I think it kind of makes sense to release it on non-Layton platforms, so it won't be competing directly, but instead be appealing to people who have heard good things about Layton but haven't been able to play it. It would still be cool on DS but I don't know how well their game engine would hold up at that low a resolution.
  • edited April 2010

I guess is for size restrictions. Appart, the fact of the two screens must need more than tweak for the interface for adapt.
  • edited April 2010
    So is this a horror game? Or does it have Telltale's good ole' fashion humor mixed with that insane Grickle suspense?
  • edited April 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Only to the same extent that Sam and Max 3 and ToMI are point and click, but the difference is that instead of direct control of the character, there's no control over the character at all, just click stuff to interact. Makes sense for a screen-by-scene game design like this.

There's actually two really good French Canadian episodic adventure series that do this same thing, now that you mention it.

I recommend these with every single fiber of my being. They push atmosphere to the absolute max, and I love them.

Cauchemars, les aventures

La foire aux mysteres

That said, I hope Puzzle Agent works similarly to these games, because they work really well.
    Jake wrote:

From the sound of this, PA plays exactly like the two games above.
    edited April 2010
    Looks like I'm the only one not hyped up about this.
    I absolutely love every license Telltale has taken on so far... :D

They keep taking on stuff that I've seen or played so many times I can call pretty much call myself a fangirl of that property. Grickle certainly falls in that category. :)

It should be interesting to see how I feel when Telltale takes up a property I don't love.

Although, I'd love an original property by Telltale too, so I guess I'm just easy to please. :D
  • I recommend these with every single fiber of my being. They push atmosphere to the absolute max, and I love them.

Cauchemars, les aventures

La foire aux mysteres

I don't speak a word of Canadianese, but I was able to play through the first episode of "La foire aux mysteres." It was a fun little time-filler.
  • edited April 2010
    It's a mix :) environments are a mix of 2 and 3 D's, characters are Hand drawn and animated by Graham and our choreographers.

Wow. Assuming then that the backgrounds in the screen shots are all 3D cell-shaded, then this is the best use of cell-shading I've ever seen. :)
  • edited April 2010
    This is interesting, this game. Is this a series or, like, a one-off thing?
    edited April 2010
    This is interesting, this game. Is this a series or, like, a one-off thing?
    It's part of Telltale's new Pilot Program. They are using this program to test out crazier ideas like this one. :) It will be just this small game at first. If it sells well, an entire season might be ordered.
  • edited April 2010
    alright
  • edited April 2010
    Sadly, as soon as I read "pilot program" my first thought was, "Does that mean they're now open to receiving spec scripts?" On the plus side, this looks like a game I could actually get my non-gamer friends to play!
  • Where do they talk about this being part of a "pilot program?" I'm curious to know...
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Gamespot wrote:
    One of the cofounders of Telltale, Kevin Bruner, announced a new game called Puzzle Agent, which will be published and distributed under the Telltale Pilot Program. Bruner explained that the program will be an outlet for creative minds to make unusual games that may often go ignored by other publishers.
    source

IGN wrote:
    This will be the first title in the Telltale Pilot Program, which will be a way for the developer to experiment with "even weirder" games than it normally creates. If these one-off pilots turn out to be a hit, Telltale could adapt them to its usual episodic model and make more.
    source
  • edited April 2010
    The Telltale Pilot system sounds fantastic. Telltale has a bit of revenue going now with Sam and max and Monkey Island, and taking a risk with these indie ideas is fantastic.

I read that, and instantly thought "Man, Telltale is awesome".

I can't pose judgement until the game is out (instant purchase for me) but I'm really stoked about this.
  • edited May 2010
    Telltale? taking risks?

HECK YES!

and by that i mean i support the decision to take such risks, going out of there comfort zone.
  • edited May 2010
    Finally something to use my 'Free Episode' coupons on :)

You will be able to use a coupon to buy this, right? >_>
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Assuming that this is a real screen shot and not a mock-up

That's a real screen shot. It's not about 2D or 3D or toon shading or any of that, it's all about delivering Graham's art style.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.