'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Where's the similarity with Professor Layton starts? When the whole town is doing puzzles and???

The "investigate mysterious occurrences in a town where all the inhabitants are under some kind of strange influence" scenario is pretty similar to Layton. Based on the screenshots, the gameplay looks similar too - solve logic puzzles in order to progress the story.
  • edited April 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    The "investigate mysterious occurrences in a town where all the inhabitants are under some kind of strange influence" scenario is pretty similar to Layton. Based on the screenshots, the gameplay looks similar too - solve logic puzzles in order to progress the story.

Sounds a lot like those games I played in my youth... I miss those games.
  • edited April 2010
    The fact that it looks like it's a single episode (or standalone small game) due to the low price leads me to believe that it's released for DS, it will be in such a way that I can't get it.
    Which makes me sad.

I hope there will be a way to buy it and play it with a DS emulator or something, for people who don't have a DSi. Or to put it on a card and play in on the regular DS. Or something.

Of course it might not be available for any DS at all.
  • edited April 2010

Personally, I didn't think in the Professor Layton until I get here. Just sound like a good setting, and, normally, you have to resolve puzzles in a Adventure Game too, and that sound fitting.

Appart, Professor Layton is a Collection of Logic Puzzles with a Frame of Plot. I'm hoping this will be like the Telltale's Games I know: Plot blended with Puzzles. (Or puzzles blended with plot...). I don't really care if the puzzles are actually presented a-la Professor Layton, mostly I don't hope find a Puzzle (Which have nothing to do with the "story") in a Lamp. I mean, I hope!

(While, if it like Professor Layton, I will not complain either =P)
  • edited April 2010
    please be for iPod touch please be for iPod touch please be for iPod touch please be for iPod touch PLEASE.
    a little TTG/ grickle in my iPhone Touch would make it be the best iPhone Touch EVER
  • edited April 2010
    If this ends up as DSiware/iPod touch only i'll be sad. Not very sad mind cos I know next to nothing of Graham Annabele, but I like to give all Telltales stuff a whirl
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I hope that it's also released for computers, but I don't see why it couldn't be. Even if you can't play it full screen or something, so what?
  • edited April 2010
    If they do not release it for PC I do not even want to see how badly some people whine here.... seriously Ipad got a game a little early and people had major meltdowns imagine if they skipped a game completely for the PC?
  • edited April 2010
    I agree with Irishmile. Drama seems to breed fast amongst the patrons of this forum.
  • edited April 2010
    Is it bad that I almost wish to have that happen just so hilarity can ensue?
  • edited April 2010
    Whiner baiting is fun for, like, the first 500 posts, but after that it starts to wear thin.
  • edited April 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Whiner baiting is fun for, like, the first 500 posts, but after that it starts to wear thin.

But I like watching Chuck and Yare fight them off. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, I'd get annoyed right away I'm sure. But I almost want to see it anyway. Some kind of voyeurism, like you can't take your eyes off of a car accident or something.
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    But I like watching Chuck and Yare fight them off. :(

someone should draw this.
  • edited April 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    someone should draw this.

Want me to re-enact it with my plushies? :p
  • edited April 2010
    That would be equally as satisfactory.
  • edited April 2010

:)

I said that as a way to clarify what I thought was Avistew's comment, not my own.
  • edited April 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    :)

I said that as a way to clarify what I thought was Avistew's comment, not my own.

Oh? What comment do you mean?
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Want me to re-enact it with my plushies? :p

You know, I feel so bad for them, having to deal with the whiny trolls, that I almost feel guilty that we treat the Telltales like playthings provided for our own amusement.

But if you make a Chuck plushie, make sure to give him a little iPhone, too!
    edited April 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I almost feel guilty

Almost... but not quite. :D
  • edited April 2010
    My dad didn't nickname me "little she-devil" for nothing you know.
  • edited April 2010
    As long as the plot isn't
    "The entire town is robots!"
    or
    "The entire town is high!"
    , it will be an improvement. :p

Agreed. I love Professor Layton and all but the mysteries of the first game became pretty obvious near the end. Still I wouldn't mind if Scoggins turned out to be a puzzle-adventure game, what I care about is if the story will be any good (but since this is Telltale we're talking about this will definatly be the case)
  • edited April 2010
    The idea that adventure gamers would NOT like a game filled with puzzles is...confusing.
  • edited April 2010
    As long as the plot isn't
    "The entire town is robots!"
    or
    "The entire town is high!"
    , it will be an improvement. :p

Yeah, I love the puzzles, but the resolution always made me feel like... Oh, that's it? No magic box of horror? No supernatural forces? Just a
    gas lead
    ? Geez...
  • edited April 2010
    This picture (posted by Mojo) should help allay some fears.
    PhotoPuzzle.jpg
    Forgetting the Laytonesque interface for a while, notice the mouse pointer. That means it's not just for things that have a touch screen.
  • edited April 2010
    I think the high definition of the Moose Ear Diner scene was a dead giveaway, too.
  • edited April 2010
    The idea that adventure gamers would NOT like a game filled with puzzles is...confusing.

I just want context puzzles, I mean, something with blend with the story. No something like "I know you are busy solving a murder, but, Can you solve this puzzle about kittens?". The thing of order the photos in order sound like is part, in a way, of the story, so, for the moment I'm not worry (Really worried) about it.
  • edited April 2010
    I think the high definition of the Moose Ear Diner scene was a dead giveaway, too.
    I think you're right, but it is possible that the hi-res screenshots are also created for presskit purposes, similar to the stuff at http://vip.telltalegames.com.
  • edited April 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    I think you're right, but it is possible that the hi-res screenshots are also created for presskit purposes, similar to the stuff at http://vip.telltalegames.com.
    Notice that the iPad press screenshots are a lower resolution than the PC press screenshots, though.
  • edited April 2010
    I hate Portal, Mirror's Edge and all similar puzzle-games so... yeah... no surprise for me...
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I just want context puzzles, I mean, something with blend with the story. No something like "I know you are busy solving a murder, but, Can you solve this puzzle about kittens?". The thing of order the photos in order sound like is part, in a way, of the story, so, for the moment I'm not worry (Really worried) about it.

Being TellTale i think we can all rest assured that puzzles and story will go together. They re not gonna use Annable´s work just as a frame for random puzzles.

Im more wondering about if there are gonna be only individual logic puzzles, or maybe some inventory puzzles will pop up now and then. Also the length. Since its seems to be just one, i hope its longer than a regular episode.
  • edited April 2010
    I concur with the others. I loved the Layton games, but a) the stories were more that frustrating, b) the puzzles made no sense ("hey, random person I've just et, I was just wondering, what is the very longest way I can go from point A to point B without ever taking a left turn?) c) they were too math-inclined and not logic-inclined enough "How many cows would it take to fill up that building?" versus, I don't know, any telltale puzzle, really, that's about accomplishing an actual purpose, even if it's in an absurd way sometimes).

But I'm not too worried about telltale making the same mistakes (well I guess people who like math might not consider C to be a mistake).
  • edited April 2010
    In the iPod touches Telltale sent to some magazines, the 29th of April was marked in the calendar, maybe something new is revealed today.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder when they're planning to release it. Surely they won't wait until the end of S&M 3 before they release this little gem. That'd be cruel...
    edited April 2010
    Hopefully we'll find out more in a few hours, after the briefing in workroom 2.
  • edited April 2010
    They did a good job making the platform a mystery. The iPods make it seem like a phone/touch game, but since the apple products don't support flash the teaser page supports the idea of a PC release.
    I hope it's not just a flash game. I loved playing s&m on the iPad!
  • edited April 2010
    dentbuds wrote: »
    Perhaps this could be an Ipod Touch game. An article at Destructiod says that there is a scheduled meeting at a hotel next week, probably on May 4th. Intriguing.

It actually said april 29, from 4pm to 5pm, which is... OMG right now!!!
  • edited April 2010
    hey, it is.
    exept NOBODY KNOWS WHERE WORKROOM 2 IS.

THE WORKROOM IS A LIE.
  • edited April 2010
    "Puzzle Agent" eh. That's not a bad title actually. I'm curious what other pilot games Telltale is looking to test out.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.