'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• edited April 2010
    BTW, this marketing thing (secret packages, rubbers, ipod, ecc.) is pure genious. :D

I'm having a lot of fun waiting for tuesday! :D
    TT is such a creative company! I love them!
  • edited April 2010
    packages, rubbers

Hehe.
  • edited April 2010
    I grew up in Newfoundland and in school we all called erasers "rubbers" too. It wasn't until we moved to the mainland in Nova Scotia that I found out rubbers meant something different altogether...
  • edited April 2010
    It's not just the "rubber" part. It's having not only that, but package right next to it.

EDIT: hey, when you have a pencil that has an eraser, do you say "my pencil has a rubber on it"?
  • edited April 2010
    Hmm.. Packages, Rubber, and the Penal Zone, what could it all mean.:D
  • edited April 2010
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    Machinarium proved there can be great flash adventure games, this has a similar feel to it-I could see Scoggins using the thought bubble system if there's going to be no dialogue

Yeah, I'm already getting kind of a Machinarium vibe from the teaser page, which is awesome because Machinarium was awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    yeah, whats with the teaser page?
  • edited April 2010
    If this game does NOT get released on PC, I'm pretty sure that all the fanboys who are now clamouring for it will eventually rationalize Telltale's decision of not doing it & get behind them 100%, just so they can believe in their sorry little minds that they're "friends" with the Telltale staff.

You know, kinda like what happened with direct control over point & click. :)

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    If this game does NOT get released on PC, I'm pretty sure that all the fanboys who are now clamouring for it will eventually rationalize Telltale's decision of not doing it & get behind them 100%, just so they can believe in their sorry little minds that they're "friends" with the Telltale staff.

You know, kinda like what happened with direct control over point & click. :)

Cheers!

Yeah, people supported Telltale's decision of replacing point and click with direct control "just so they could believe in their sorry little minds they're friends with the Telltale staff"... obviously, people didn't support Telltale because they liked direct control, because that would be impossible! Everybody HATES direct control, and Telltale is EVIL! The fact that they always listen to us and improve their games every episode doesn't mean anything!

Telltale is the best company I know, and their support is much better than any other company's, but people always look for reasons to say they are evil and don't care about their fans.
    The only people that can complain are the parents of the babies that are consumed every day by Telltale, but apart from that, Telltale is awesome!

Anyway, back on topic, the game will probably be on PC as well as the iPod/iPad/iPhone, the only reason the boxes had iPhones in them was that sending PCs would be expensive and the boxes would be heavy.
  • edited April 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    Yeah, people supported Telltale's decision of replacing point and click with direct control "just so they could believe in their sorry little minds they're friends with the Telltale staff"... obviously, people didn't support Telltale because they liked direct control, because that would be impossible! Everybody HATES direct control, and Telltale is EVIL! The fact that they always listen to us and improve their games every episode doesn't mean anything!

Telltale is the best company I know, and their support is much better than any other company's, but people always look for reasons to say they are evil and don't care about their fans.
    The only people that can complain are the parents of the babies that are consumed every day by Telltale, but apart from that, Telltale is awesome!

Anyway, back on topic, the game will probably be on PC as well as the iPod/iPad/iPhone, the only reason the boxes had iPhones in them was that sending PCs would be expensive and the boxes would be heavy.
    The troll.

Stop feeding it.
  • edited April 2010
    I know a troll when I see one. Trust me, guys, he's a troll.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought TTG and I were BFF's..... I have to rethink my entire life.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't understand. Is he saying that we're not friends with the telltale staff?
    But we're BFF!!! Right? Right?
  • edited April 2010
    Neelo wrote: »

É. É isso mesmo, nem sequer há dúvidas.

É que nem podia ser outra coisa.

Jasus Credo Senhor.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    EDIT: hey, when you have a pencil that has an eraser, do you say "my pencil has a rubber on it"?

Yes, of course.
  • edited April 2010
    i really dident have a problem with the whole control switch.

i hope its on iPhone Touch and not JUST iPad.
  • edited April 2010
    At this point we have ZERO idea what it'll be on. People think it'll be on iPhone/Touch because of the viral marketing iTouch's. There's nothing at all proposing that it'd be on iPad.
  • edited April 2010
    They could have just used the iPod because its essentially a tiny affordable little programmable computer.. and it got the point across they were trying to make.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, that was my point.
  • edited April 2010
    yeah, you get a point.
    *PING*
  • edited April 2010
    And I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

Monkey%20Island%20-%20Insult%20Sword%20Fighting.png
  • edited April 2010
    Do you think this game (at least I'm hoping it is a game) will have voice acting? The page that's up has no spoken audio, like Annable's flashimations, and I really like that stylistic choice. The animation on the page is the same subtle, simple style that Annable uses in his animations, and you could even say in Dunk/Dank. I love the voice actors Telltale works with, but at the same time I'd love it if this game had very little acting or ambient audio and relied more on music and visuals. What do you guys think?
  • edited April 2010
    I'd definitely be fine with either, as long as there is written text.
  • edited April 2010
    yeah, i want dialouge.
  • edited April 2010
    I meant written text if people are talking. I guess I'd be fine with a mute game. If there is no speech but there are people talking, text is obvious, but I meant to say that if there IS speech, I'd like text anyways.

I'd be okay with a game without any speech at all. Could actually render the whole "horror" feel pretty well f you've got nobody to talk to.
  • edited April 2010
    Pssst!
  • edited April 2010
    I hadn't thought of no dialog whatsoever, I was just thinking of no spoken audio. Having long stretches with no dialog does sound like it could be interesting, though. Difficult to pull off, but it could create a very moody tension. Might also make for an easier translation later :p
  • edited April 2010
    I think it could work well without dialogue. Actually I'd say this is one of the few ideas that can work without dialogue in an adventure game setting.
  • edited April 2010
    im supporting this.

I'm not

As awesome as this is, it isn't an origanal ip. Hidden People existed over a year ago.
  • edited April 2010
    So there is more to it than just the one animation and prints? What's the plot of the story? Who are the characters?
  • edited April 2010
    At the moment I'm swayed to the idea of there being little or no voice acting, but not neccassarily (I spelt that wrong, didn't I) little or no dialogue. It looks like it'll be a very interesting game either way.
  • edited April 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    So there is more to it than just the one animation and prints? What's the plot of the story? Who are the characters?
    I think they mean that the short has been on Annable's YouTube channel since March 2008. I don't think there's a Hidden People story in any of my Grickle books.
  • edited April 2010
    Either way, it's quite clear that it's being licensed from Annable, and former employee or not, that makes it about as much of an original property as Sam and Max was to Lucasarts.

Original IP would mean created internally and all rights to the characters and setting would belong exclusively to Telltale as a company.
  • edited April 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    neccassarily (I spelt that wrong, didn't I)

Necessarily.
  • edited April 2010
    So then my original statement is still accurate? I mean, they're licensing not a story or characters, but a style. Any characters, setting and plot featured in the game would be Telltale's property ... which is about everything. I mean, Annable didn't "create" the concept of the Hiddenfolk, either, but a character design. This is the closest thing to a blank slate that Telltale has worked with yet. There is a fanbase for Grickle, but I don't think they're relying on it to help sales to a great extent. Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, Bone and Strongbad were all (relatively) well-known properties whose owners could help in the promotion of the games, and whose creations predated Telltale's by years.
  • edited April 2010
    I think they mean that the short has been on Annable's YouTube channel since March 2008. I don't think there's a Hidden People story in any of my Grickle books.

Seems original to me. It's not a pre-established series, its just one short video.
  • edited April 2010
    Seems original to me. It's not a pre-established series, its just one short video.
    Grickle is a series of videos and comics, and they're not really "connected" in any linear narrative sense. So, it is part of the Grickle license. Besides, "Original IP" doesn't mean "License some small thing people don't really know about".

...not that I don't appreciate this or think it's cool. It just doesn't by any stretch of the imagination fall under "Original IP".
  • edited April 2010
    Grickle is a series of videos and comics, and they're not really "connected" in any linear narrative sense. So, it is part of the Grickle license. Besides, "Original IP" doesn't mean "License some small thing people don't really know about".

...not that I don't appreciate this or think it's cool. It just doesn't by any stretch of the imagination fall under "Original IP".

I know what Grickle is. Anyway, it falls under "original video game IP" as its never been a video game before.
  • edited April 2010
    I know what Grickle is. Anyway, it falls under "original video game IP" as its never been a video game before.
    No it doesn't. If it did, for one, they started original with Bone, and then got back to that with SBCG4AP.

"Original IP" means they developed it in-house, which is not at all what they've done here.
  • edited April 2010
    I really want it to be a game and I want it to be super weird and bizarre
Sign in to comment in this discussion.