'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Dear God. This is awesome. I've been asking for a Telltale game in Dank/Dunk-style for ages, but I sort of lost hope it would ever happen. This made the endless awesomeness of Sam & Max 301 just a bit more endless.
  • edited April 2010
    Telltale shouldn't release on DS. It's freakishly easy to pirate games for it. Even Nintendo, which spent millions developing new anti-piracy for Pokemon and Mario RPG 3!!! were cracked in less than a week. In terms of consoles, it's one of the most exploited systems out there.

This game looks like it could work in Iphone, and I think we'll see an Ipad release. I'm hoping for a PC release too though. That would be awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    What are you calling "Mario RPG 3"? I thought Paper Mario 2 was Mario RPG 3.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    What are you calling "Mario RPG 3"? I thought Paper Mario 2 was Mario RPG 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_%26_Luigi:_Bowser%27s_Inside_Story

I think he means this.
  • edited April 2010
    Mh, so the second one would be partners in time I'm guessing? Would the first one still be the same or was there another handheld Mario RPG?
  • edited April 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Telltale shouldn't release on DS. It's freakishly easy to pirate games for it. Even Nintendo, which spent millions developing new anti-piracy for Pokemon and Mario RPG 3!!! were cracked in less than a week. In terms of consoles, it's one of the most exploited systems out there.

Ahhh... come on! Nothing will make more happy than a Telltale Game for the DS, and there's some public for Adventure Games there. At least it's me =P
  • edited April 2010
    Mh, so the second one would be partners in time I'm guessing? Would the first one still be the same or was there another handheld Mario RPG?

Ok, Super Star Saga is Mario and Luigi RPG.
    Partners in Time is Mario and Luigi RPG 2 x 2
    Bowser's Inside Story is Mario and Luigi RPG 3!!!

At least in japan.
  • edited April 2010
    But Paper Mario follows stuff from Mario RPG 1! So it should count as a sequel. Plus it's an RPG too...

Why didn't they count it?
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Ok, Super Star Saga is Mario and Luigi RPG.
    Partners in Time is Mario and Luigi RPG 2 x 2
    Bowser's Inside Story is Mario and Luigi RPG 3!!!

At least in japan.

They're great. I adore them almost as much as Paper Mario. My name Fawful comes from the main villain of Mario and Luigi 3 and also from Mario and Luigi 1.

They did count Paper Mario but Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi are three different series. Paper Mario doesn't relate at all to Super Mario RPG for the SNES.
  • edited April 2010
    It was so depressing in Taiwan looking for a copy of Heartgold, because most of the places were no longer selling ds carts due to the rampant piracy everywhere. Out of the 15 game shops I went to, only 3 sold actual games. It never occurred to me how much of a problem it was until I saw the damage it took first hand.
  • edited April 2010
    Paper Mario doesn't relate at all to Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

It... doesn't?
    I thought it did >.> Not like a direct sequel, but still. Maybe it's just me then.
  • edited April 2010
    It... doesn't?
    I thought it did >.> Not like a direct sequel, but still. Maybe it's just me then.

Paper Mario was called Mario RPG 2 in Japan, but at the time it was the second Mario RPG and they were the only ones around. However Paper Mario uses completely different gameplay, graphical styles, characters, story elements, and environments. The Mushroom Kingdom itself is completely different as well. It make no references direct or indirect to Super Mario RPG. It since has had two sequels of its own and has become a series.
  • edited April 2010
    Paper Mario 2, in my opinion, is the best Mario game ever made. :D Gotta love it.

Anyway back on topic, I'd love to see a game like that for iPad.

Ooh, 250th post.
  • edited April 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    It was so depressing in Taiwan looking for a copy of Heartgold, because most of the places were no longer selling ds carts due to the rampant piracy everywhere. Out of the 15 game shops I went to, only 3 sold actual games. It never occurred to me how much of a problem it was until I saw the damage it took first hand.

We have rampant piracy too, in Chile, but the diference here we have a copyright law, unlike China for instance, where they don't.

It's difficult to sell video games here, and the shops are ussually in big cities, and not in small towns. Also, they are hella expensive. I mean, really expensive. Now I think they are more affordable than in the past, but they are still expensive. In fact, a whole season of a Telltale game is normally the half of the price of a Wii Game. PS3 and X360 are more expensive for a while.

Now we are less underdeveloped than in the past, but we still have a ton of piracy everywhere for everything.
    Paper Mario was called Mario RPG 2 in Japan.

Was it called "Mario Story"?
  • edited April 2010

Was it called "Mario Story"?

Ah yeah I guess I was thinking of the old version of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNW6X-D8Jw8
  • edited April 2010
    speaking of Nintendo I just learned today that the Nintendo company has been around since the late 1800s... unfortunately they made playing cards and not steampunk like videogame machines...
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    speaking of Nintendo I just learned today that the Nintendo company has been around since the late 1800s... unfortunately they made playing cards and not steampunk like videogame machines...

I will love to talk about Nintendo (Considering they start as a Card company, then decided to change to other thing, becoming a toy company and then start to do just video games) but I don't think the Huldufólk will like that
  • edited April 2010
    If they do release Scoggins (assuming it's to be a game) on the DS, I wonder if it'll be on a cartridge or downloadable through the DSIWare. My bets on DSIWare.
  • edited April 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    If they do release Scoggins (assuming it's to be a game) on the DS, I wonder if it'll be on a cartridge or downloadable through the DSIWare. My bets on DSIWare.

ARGH!
    If it's on DSiWare, that means it's DSi-exclusive. I didn't even think of that possibility. Then I couldn't play it :(
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »

They've also dabbled in many other industries over the years. Like taxi cabs and love hotels.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I meant Mario and Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story.

I really like them, especially Superstar Saga. I didn't like Partners in Time, the areas were really boring and dark, I prefer the vibrant areas of SuperStar Saga, and partners in time was more linear. Inside Story was good, but I only enjoyed playing Bowser lol. The bowser scenes were great. I found it a bit easy though, but I was a lot younger when playing the older ones. The best DS game is still Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, but Inside Story comes close, just for the great humour.

I don't think Scoggins will be on DS though. It just screams PC. Iphone and DS have small screens, and Scoggins (or whatever it's called) looks like it's going to have big detailed screens, with lots of stuff to click on. It wouldn't work scaled down.

That being said, I used ScummVMDS to play Lechucks Revenge on DS, and it worked really well. I had to use the D-pad occassionally (like once every 20min) to move the screen down or up, but it worked like 50 times better than I thought it would.
  • edited April 2010
    ARGH!
    If it's on DSiWare, that means it's DSi-exclusive. I didn't even think of that possibility. Then I couldn't play it :(

I wonder why they will not release it in PC, assuming it's a game of course.

In fact, I'm planning to play it in PC and maybe buy it in the DS, if it's the thing were are thinking about.
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder why they will not release it in PC, assuming it's a game of course.

In fact, I'm planning to play it in PC and maybe buy it in the DS, if it's the thing were are thinking about.

I meant I couldn't play the DS one if it's for DSi. I'd get the PC one either way, but I'd probably favour DS over PC any day, especially for point&click style games.
  • edited April 2010
    I accidently stated my opinion there: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16184

Again, hopefully a 2d adventure, I'm really excited about this one! :O)
  • edited April 2010
    taumel wrote: »

Again, hopefully a 2d adventure, I'm really excited about this one! :O)

Does it really matter if it's 2D anymore? It just to look (and be) good.
  • edited April 2010
    Nope, but somehow 3D still often breeds different games than 2D.
  • edited April 2010
    I meant I couldn't play the DS one if it's for DSi. I'd get the PC one either way, but I'd probably favour DS over PC any day, especially for point&click style games.

Nah, I get you. But I'm not the type of get games twice even if there's for different platforms. If it's from Telltale, I'll always favour going direct and buy them in PC. Someday I'll buy my Cintiq, and then play it like if were a a bigger DSi or somesort of weird iPad =P
  • edited April 2010
    No way am I playing on consoles or portables if the PC is supported. I love Telltale, I'll spend obscene amounts of money on merchandise and the like, but I'm not buying the same game that has very little replay value twice over.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, it's telltale >.> I'd probably be able to get the PC one for free with episode coupons. But I hear you, I guess.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't know which platform I'd prefer it on. On one hand, I would love to have it on my DSI as it's my fave console, on the other hand, my entire Telltale collection is downloadable off the PC and I wanna keep it that way. (I like watching my games list grow)!
  • edited April 2010
    The art style reminds me of double fine.... Telltale, i swear if you team up with double fine my soul is yours. I don't care what you do with it.
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe they'll put it on PSP, too. Assuming its a game, of course.
  • edited April 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I think I sort of understand about 1% of the plot. Scoggins is an old factory possibly built on The Hidden People's home; so they decide to "erase" the factory for the many years it's been in business, only no one knows why all these strange things are happening so it's a mystery to that old building.

Lets see if I get it right by May. :p

Well the billboard teaser in Penal Zone, plus the http://www.telltalegames.com/scogginserasers loading screen and the signage on the factory wall on the website make it pretty clear it's an eraser factory.

So, you have come up with a clever double meaning for Scoggin's Erasers, but I'm betting they're just, y'know, regular old pencil erasers being referred to in the title.
  • edited April 2010
    well, telltale DID say thew wanted to go into more serious games.
  • edited April 2010
    Graham Annable's videos and comics always seem to be filled with double meanings. I doubt the title is as simple as just the eraser factory itself.

For instance one of his videos, titled Zoo, starts off with a monkey at the zoo in a cage. Suddenly a bunch of humans walk up to the cage and start jumping and screaming and hooting and making neanderthal monkey noises. The point being, is the zoo on the inside of the cage or the outside of the cage?

Or it may just be referring to the eraser factory itself. Must...endure...two week long...wait.
  • edited April 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I think I sort of understand about 1% of the plot. Scoggins is an old factory possibly built on The Hidden People's home; so they decide to "erase" the factory for the many years it's been in business, only no one knows why all these strange things are happening so it's a mystery to that old building.

Lets see if I get it right by May. :p

There's some records about weird things which happen when you build something too near to a Huldufólk Homes. Weird sickness and what not. Then the medium appears, said they have to move the road a couple of meter to the right, and bye with the Sickness.

I'm not kidding, I read it somewhere.
  • edited April 2010
    They do that in New Zealand too when the mythical Taniwha are disturbed;

http://tinyurl.com/yypfgu7
  • edited April 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Well the billboard teaser in Penal Zone, plus the http://www.telltalegames.com/scogginserasers loading screen and the signage on the factory wall on the website make it pretty clear it's an eraser factory.

So, you have come up with a clever double meaning for Scoggin's Erasers, but I'm betting they're just, y'know, regular old pencil erasers being referred to in the title.

Maybe it's a haunted eraser factory?
  • edited April 2010
    Haunted by gnomes?
    Wait.
    Mabye it's not a game. Mabye it's a book. Or dare I say, a MOVIE?
  • edited April 2010
    There's some records about weird things which happen when you build something too near to a Huldufólk Homes. Weird sickness and what not. Then the medium appears, said they have to move the road a couple of meter to the right, and bye with the Sickness.

I'm not kidding, I read it somewhere.

That's folklore, but it's based in fact.

It's all about people building their outdoor toilets too close to their water supply, and then of course becoming mysteriously sick due to bacteria and contaminants. So a "medium" appears, tells them to move their well/toilet because of goblins or something, and then they're set. No more sickness.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.