'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• edited April 2010
    No it doesn't. If it did, for one, they started original with Bone, and then got back to that with SBCG4AP.

"Original IP" means they developed it in-house, which is not at all what they've done here.

Actually, in a way he's right. The original IP would be correct if Telltale used the Grickle drawings BUT used an original idea thought up by Telltale.

Even if it is already a mocked up idea of The Hidden People, it would still fall under Original IP.
  • edited April 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Actually, in a way he's right. The original IP would be correct if Telltale used the Grickle drawings BUT used an original idea thought up by Telltale.

Even if it is already a mocked up idea of The Hidden People, it would still fall under Original IP.
    *blink*

What?
  • edited April 2010
    No it doesn't. If it did, for one, they started original with Bone, and then got back to that with SBCG4AP

Okay look. The Hidden People aren't characters developed originally by Telltale. That's true. However the Scoggins Erasers story apparently IS. Just because the story features characters (The Hidden People) from something else doesn't make it unoriginal.

It's not even necessarily a Grickle game, as Grickle is his video series, not this game series. The art style and character design does not necessarily mean Grickle, it means Graham Annable.
  • edited April 2010
    Okay look. The Hidden People aren't characters developed originally by Telltale. That's true. However the Scoggins Erasers story apparently IS. Just because the story features characters (The Hidden People) from something else doesn't make it unoriginal.

It's not even necessarily a Grickle game, as Grickle is his video series, not this game series. The art style and character design does not necessarily mean Grickle, it means Graham Annable.

Yes, that's what was I trying to refer to.
  • edited April 2010

That's like saying that Sam & Max is an original IP because it only features a couple characters from something else.

Annable created the characters (possibly even the entire story, we don't know that much yet) that are featured in Scoggins as well as the art style, therefore it is property of Annable and therefore not owned wholly by Telltale, therefore it is not an original IP.
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    That's like saying that Sam & Max is an original IP because it only features a couple characters from something else.

Annable created the characters (possibly even the entire story, we don't know that much yet) that are featured in Scoggins as well as the art style, therefore it is property of Annable and therefore not owned wholly by Telltale, therefore it is not an original IP.

That's like saying Monkey Island isn't the property of Lucasarts because Ron Gilbert created it. Sam and Max is an established series. The Hidden People is not. The Hidden People is not an IP, its just a short one-shot video. This video game is what gives them a status as IP. Well, actually, no I'm wrong. Because they were being sold as an art print, and therefore, as they were being sold, that means they were an IP. Therefore, you're correct. This is not an original Telltale IP.
  • edited April 2010
    That's like saying Monkey Island isn't the property of Lucasarts because Ron Gilbert created it.

No, it's nothing like that. Ron Gilbert created Monkey Island while working at Lucasarts for Lucasarts. They wholly own Monkey Island and everything about it.

(Technically Lucasfilm Games, at the time)
  • edited April 2010
    That's like saying Monkey Island isn't the property of Lucasarts because Ron Gilbert created it. Sam and Max is an established series. The Hidden People is not. The Hidden People is not an IP, its just a short one-shot video. This video game is what gives them a status as IP. Well, actually, no I'm wrong. Because they were being sold as an art print, and therefore, as they were being sold, that means they were an IP. Therefore, you're correct. This is not an original Telltale IP.
    ...You don't actually know what an IP is, do you?
  • edited April 2010
    ...You don't actually know what an IP is, do you?

It's short for independent property, right? What I'm saying is in the case of video games I believe whatever it is has to be an established property in order to not be an original IP. And if something is being sold, it must be fairly established.
  • edited April 2010
    It's short for independent property, right?
    Intellectual Property. It's a legal term that refers to the rights to various intangible ownerships, such as music, stories, etc. Graham Annable owns The Hidden People. He doesn't have to sell it to own it, it's his work. Now, if he licenses it to Telltale, then Telltale may create some things and own those items within the universe. As an example, see LucasArts and their ownership of Hit the Road and many aspects of Hit the Road, as well as everything made for cancelled LucasArts projects. "Original IP" is a term that refers to something new that is made by the company that is selling it, not something licensed and added to.
  • edited April 2010
    Okay. I didn't think the term original was that broad.
  • edited April 2010
    So then it is an original IP since all it appears to be using from any previous work is a single character design, the Hidden People, which are themselves mythological creatures that are not trademarkable, although the design for them Annable created is. Even if Telltale decides to license the design from Annable and commission him to work on the project, the plot, setting, music and characters will probably be entirely original for this project. Annable will most likely hold the rights for the Hidden People design only, and merely because you use a licensed property does not mean your game is not an original intellectual property itself. It's not so much Sam and Max in "Hit the Road" as Sonic in "Smash Bros".
  • edited April 2010
    Wallace & Gromit didn't have a video game before either.

Still, this feels fresher than any of the other IPs they've worked with. I'm sure Grickle doesn't have near the amount of publicity that W&G has, for instance. Or Sam & Max. Or maybe it does and I'm stupid.
  • edited April 2010
    Wallace & Gromit didn't have a video game before either.
    Yes it did.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    If we were to make a Grickle game without Graham's consent, he could certainly sue us. That to me is enough to say that it wouldn't be an original IP.
  • edited April 2010
    Ok then, I'm wrong again. This is why I'm starting to put disclaimers in my posts like "or I'm just stupid".
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Ok then, I'm wrong again. This is why I'm starting to put disclaimers in my posts like "or I'm just stupid".

Just put it in your signature to make sure you're always covered. ;)
  • edited April 2010

Don't worry, everyone is wrong eventually. You only have to check out some of your facts with a bit of Google magic if you feel like it.
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    If we were to make a Grickle game without Graham's consent, he could certainly sue us. That to me is enough to say that it wouldn't be an original IP.
    I don't think so. He would rather send the hidden folk instead. :O)
  • edited April 2010
    So if Telltale didn't send the mysterious boxes, who did? Was it the hidden people...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the blogs.
  • edited April 2010
    The gnomes have iPods! Run for your lives!
  • edited April 2010
    They have boxes that just get there and climb up the stairs? That's handy.

*wishes she had some too*
  • edited April 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    So if Telltale didn't send the mysterious boxes, who did? Was it the hidden people...

No, it was the man who smiles and waves at you in front of the factory.
  • edited April 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the blogs.

The postman?
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    They have boxes that just get there and climb up the stairs?

Maybe it was carried... by the Hidden People. o_O
  • edited April 2010
    HAH! Check out the MI2:SE poster on the wall!
  • edited April 2010

... Is it Special Hair Edition?
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, yes it is.
    edited April 2010

Haha, I barely even noticed that - was distracted by the WHO IS COMING poster right next to it!
  • edited April 2010
    The gnomes have iPods! Run for your lives!

Would an iPod to a gnome be like an iPad to a human?

Yikes, they've had access to advanced technology!
  • edited April 2010
    huh. makes sense. i hope the gnomes have a openfient account because i want to challenge them to beat my high scores.
  • edited April 2010
    Okay people, we need to get on this. We need to capture some of these self-delivering boxes, and see if we can breed them with manila envelopes, and see if they can be trained to return like homing pigeons. We'd make millions!
    edited April 2010
    Imagine how much we could reduce Telltale's shipping costs!
  • edited April 2010
    Screw Telltale! Do you know how much it costs to send a manuscript in the mail with delivery confirmation?! We sell this thing to struggling writers, and we're on easy street!
  • edited April 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Screw Telltale!

I wish.
  • edited April 2010
    Perhaps this could be an Ipod Touch game. An article at Destructiod says that there is a scheduled meeting at a hotel next week, probably on May 4th. Intriguing.
  • edited April 2010
    I wish.

How are you still married? :confused:
  • edited April 2010
    How are you still married? :confused:

Why wouldn't I be?
  • That poster is one of my favorites. Apparently it's one of Majus's too.
  • edited April 2010
    Why wouldn't I be?

Just a joke. From this:
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Screw Telltale!
    I wish.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.