'The Mystery of Scoggins'

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I still don't get why she wouldn't.
  • edited April 2010
    My favorite hting about the Scoggins Boxes is that they revealed that Scoggins isn't just a company and factory that makes erasers, but an entire town in Minnesota. I was worried that with the game taking place in just a factory and surrounding forest, there was no way the game could be episodic.

Please be Twin Peaks with erasers. Please.
  • edited April 2010
    Beware the gnomes!
  • edited April 2010
    Just a joke. From this:

My husband and I have a "is allowed to say she'd like to have sexual intercourse with a company on that company's forum" kind of relationship ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Especially when that company is 5,000 miles away?
  • edited April 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Especially when that company is 5,000 miles away?

Oh, no, I'm allowed to actually go there. We were talking about that today, incidentally. It was all inspired by the plush thread idea of a meetup.
    Well, not sure if we'd ever get to actually go there in the building (I hear they're actually supposed to work and stuff), but at least I could meet people from the forum if they can make the trip too or live close enough.
  • edited April 2010
    San Francisco is a city worth visiting (not that Telltale is in San Francisco, technically, but hey). We have fog, freezing beaches and you can get fat-free soy milk cappuccinos. And a couple bridges, but seriously, who cares about those?
  • edited April 2010
    San Francisco is a city worth visiting (not that Telltale is in San Francisco, technically, but hey). We have fog, freezing beaches and you can get fat-free soy milk cappuccinos. And a couple bridges, but seriously, who cares about those?

You've got me sold! If you can drive me there, I'm crashing at your place :p
  • edited April 2010
    That depends on where you live in Canada. If you're in Vancouver and are willing to let me crash at your place for a week I'll happily return the favor :p
  • edited April 2010
    That depends on where you live in Canada. If you're in Vancouver and are willing to let me crash at your place for a week I'll happily return the favor :p

Oh, believe me, you don't want to stay here :p There are 10 people and as many fast food restaurants, but no other kind of store/restaurant. Well, apart from Wallmart.
    Plus I couldn't drive you anywhere, I can't drive!

I guess I'l have to make other housing arrangements :p Any guy living in the area who doesn't mind sharing his bed with me too much? :D
  • edited April 2010
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    My favorite hting about the Scoggins Boxes is that they revealed that Scoggins isn't just a company and factory that makes erasers, but an entire town in Minnesota. I was worried that with the game taking place in just a factory and surrounding forest, there was no way the game could be episodic.

Please be Twin Peaks with erasers. Please.

The erasers are not what they seem.
  • edited April 2010
    i bet they can erase stuff from life itself. y'know, the tagline says "now NO ONE will have to see your mistakes"

or they are just erasers.
  • edited April 2010
    Reminds me of Patrick Danville in Stephen King's "Dark Tower".
  • i bet they can erase stuff from life itself. y'know, the tagline says "now NO ONE will have to see your mistakes"

or they are just erasers.

Because you erased the mistake, or you erased the people who might see it? lol
  • edited April 2010
    Oh my humus you should go check Mixnmojo right now.
  • edited April 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder what it's like to mix a Layton-style game with more Telltale-style storytelling. I just hope it'll be available for PC.
  • edited April 2010
    A 2D Telltale original IP?

I may weep openly.
  • edited April 2010
    Are we still obsessing over this 2D thing?
  • edited April 2010
    Are we still obsessing over this 2D thing?

Dear lord no. I think Telltale's games are beautiful as they are! But I welcome awesome new styles to the Telltale library with joy!
  • edited April 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    A 2D Telltale original IP?

I may weep openly.
    It's not an original IP.
  • edited April 2010
    It's not an original IP.

But everyone who's not familiar with Grickle will think that anyway.

So, don try to not be dense with those guys, please?
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    But everyone who's not familiar with Grickle will think that anyway.

So, don try to not be dense with those guys, please?
    Everyone not familiar with Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, Strong Bad, etc cetera would think that they're original IPs. It wouldn't make them any less wrong.
  • edited April 2010
    Everyone not familiar with Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, Strong Bad, etc cetera would think that they're original IPs. It wouldn't make them any less wrong.

It's Grickle's/Scoggins's debut in video game format.

Was Scoggins Erasers ever mentioned outside of The Hidden People? Because I think Graham Annable created that in collaboration with Telltale. There's been hints that this idea's been in development for a while now.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Ooh I like Professor Layton, so it will be interesting to see what Scoggins is like.

EDIT: Psst, Kroms... :)
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, it is. That doesn't count for anything, though. Anyone who thinks it does has some weird and mistaken ideas about intellectual property law and terminology.
    Was Scoggins Erasers ever mentioned outside of The Hidden People? Because I think Graham Annable created that in collaboration with Telltale. There's been hints that this idea's been in development for a while now.
    I haven't seen a mention in any of my Grickle books, so I think it's a new element.
  • edited April 2010

It involves creations of Graham Annable. The fact that Telltale may have helped create certain elements of it has nothing to do with anything, nor does the fact that it is their debut as a video game. It is not an original IP. End of discussion.
  • edited April 2010
    I just say this time is even easier to believe this is an original IP (With all respect to the original work). I'm sure if wasn't because I read Dank/Dunk, I will never get this is not an Original IP.
  • edited April 2010
    I want this game so much, I think I'm gonna faint.
  • edited April 2010
    $9.99, huh?

So, is this meant to stand on its own, then? I find this screenshot to be pretty awesome.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I want this game so much, I think I'm gonna faint.

That might be... dangerous. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    I'm excited for this. :D
  • edited April 2010
    I love Professor Layton, but I sure as heck hope this has more of a plot than Layton generally does. Also, does that mean this will be a one-off game? Not episodic? And why is there an Athabascan woods in Minnesota? Aren't they more in Western Canada and Alaska?
    edited April 2010
    I love Professor Layton, but I sure as heck hope this has more of a plot than Layton generally does.

As long as the plot isn't
    "The entire town is robots!"
    or
    "The entire town is high!"
    , it will be an improvement. :p
  • edited April 2010
    I love Professor Layton, but I sure as heck hope this has more of a plot than Layton generally does. Also, does that mean this will be a one-off game? Not episodic? And why is there an Athabascan woods in Minnesota? Aren't they more in Western Canada and Alaska?

You know, I played some Layton on my girlfriend's DSi XL and I was just thinking that a Layton-like game would be great on PC (especially if it had low hardware requirements, in order to run on netbooks and entry-level laptops). I really hope Telltale is not covering just iPod/iPhone and similia with this.
    That game design would be massively improved by Graham's touch.
    I REALLY can't wait.
    You know what? I think I'm anticipating Scoggins more than Sam & Max episodes right now. :eek:
    I mean, new stuff. For real. :)
  • edited April 2010
    I love Professor Layton, but I sure as heck hope this has more of a plot than Layton generally does. Also, does that mean this will be a one-off game? Not episodic?
    Frankly, and from a risk-taking standpoint, we would like to get people used to the idea that we might release a pilot of something and then if it takes, we'll green-light a season. I think that model would allow for us to take more chances and innovate more. We're still trying to figure out exactly how that could play out.
    -Source

I personally think it may be a part of that idea. The idea is really the perfect test for such a thing. A small, experimental, risky proposition. When I saw that an Annable project was being done at Telltale, this immediately sprung to mind.
  • edited April 2010
    Just I hope somehow this ends in a Platform I have already. Like PC or DSi. If not, I have to ask to my friend if he can lend me his IPod Touch, and that it's not going to be pretty.

AT ALL.
  • edited April 2010
    I hope this is an adventure game and not just "piece these pictures together" "rearrange these tapes" "match clue 1 with clue 4 and clue 7 with clue 13". Eh, something tells me I'd give it a try anyway.
    edited April 2010
    I hope this is an adventure game and not just "piece these pictures together" "rearrange these tapes" "match clue 1 with clue 4 and clue 7 with clue 13".

I get the impression it will lean more towards the latter, although that's not based on anything other than an apparent similarity to the Professor Layton games. It would be great if Scoggins included more adventure game aspects than those games though - mainly, decent characters and plot.
  • edited April 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I get the impression it will lean more towards the latter, although that's not based on anything other than an apparent similarity to the Professor Layton games. It would be great if Scoggins included more adventure game aspects than those games though - mainly, decent characters and plot.

I've always been searching for a game with a perfect blend of puzzle, story and overall fun. I thought this was limeted to Rareware N64 platformers untill a found Telltale. It's like and iq test in a game!:D
  • edited April 2010
    Where's the similarity with Professor Layton starts? When the whole town is doing puzzles and???
Sign in to comment in this discussion.